MS-DOS, you can't live with it, you can live without it. -- from Lars Wirzenius' .sig

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

SubjectAuthor
* Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerknuttle
`* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerPaul
 `* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerPaul
  +* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerBill Bradshaw
  |`* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerRabidHussar
  | `* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerBill Bradshaw
  |  `* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerPaul
  |   `* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerBill Bradshaw
  |    `- Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerPaul
  +* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerCarlos E. R.
  |`* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerPaul
  | `- Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerCarlos E. R.
  `* Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerBrian Gregory
   `- Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computerPaul

1
Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<sjifhn$b4d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54377&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54377

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:19:50 -0400
 by: knuttle - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 21:19 UTC

Is there a way to remove he constant nag about the fact that my computer
is too old to run Windows 11.

I realized a month ago that I no longer had to fuss with a Windows
update for several days consecutive days at the end of each month.

I am not stupid and don't need to be constantly told my computer will
not run W11

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<sjiul1$fqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54398&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54398

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 21:37:12 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 01:37 UTC

On 10/5/2021 5:19 PM, knuttle wrote:

> Is there a way to remove he constant nag about the fact that my computer is too old to run Windows 11.
>
> I realized a month ago that I no longer had to fuss with a Windows update for several days consecutive days at the end of each month.
>
> I am not stupid and don't need to be constantly told my computer will not run W11

It could be, that adding the same setting as worked in Windows 7,
would be enough to do it.

https://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Stop-upgrade-to-Windows-10-pic3.png

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
DisableOSUpgrade DWORD 1

If you're on Professional, and have "gpedit.msc"

Computer Configuration >
Administrative Templates >
Windows Components >
Windows Update

"Turn off the upgrade to the latest version
of Windows through Windows Update"

The key might not be present in the Regedit example,
which is why the gpedit.msc is, um, "easier" in some
limited sense.

There was a utility for this too, a third party one.
I just don't remember the name :-)

Paul

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<sjj7bd$v28$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54401&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54401

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:05:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 04:05 UTC

On 10/5/2021 9:37 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 10/5/2021 5:19 PM, knuttle wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to remove he constant nag about the fact that my computer is too old to run Windows 11.
>>
>> I realized a month ago that I no longer had to fuss with a Windows update for several days consecutive days at the end of each month.
>>
>> I am not stupid and don't need to be constantly told my computer will not run W11
>
> It could be, that adding the same setting as worked in Windows 7,
> would be enough to do it.
>
> https://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Stop-upgrade-to-Windows-10-pic3.png
>
>    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
>        DisableOSUpgrade DWORD 1
>
> If you're on Professional, and have "gpedit.msc"
>
>    Computer Configuration >
>       Administrative Templates >
>          Windows Components >
>             Windows Update
>
>                "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version
>                 of Windows through Windows Update"
>
> The key might not be present in the Regedit example,
> which is why the gpedit.msc is, um, "easier" in some
> limited sense.
>
> There was a utility for this too, a third party one.
> I just don't remember the name :-)
>
>     Paul

And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do". The answer to
that, is to force in the new version of whatever you want,
outside of Windows Update, using the ISO version or if
you feel more comfortable with it, a DVD you made from
a Windows 10 download. I do this all the time, because
I want to be in control of when upgrades occur, and
not some random installation. Run setup.exe off the
media with the new OS on it, to Repair Install. The media
need only be present or mounted, during the first
"copy" phase, where the media is unpacked. After that,
it doesn't matter if the DVD or ISO is visible or not.

Paul

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<is61grFcht8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54429&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54429

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 08:34:33 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 16:34 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 10/5/2021 9:37 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 10/5/2021 5:19 PM, knuttle wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to remove he constant nag about the fact that my
>>> computer is too old to run Windows 11.
>> Paul
>
> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do". The answer to
> that, is to force in the new version of whatever you want,
> outside of Windows Update, using the ISO version or if
> you feel more comfortable with it, a DVD you made from
> a Windows 10 download. I do this all the time, because
> I want to be in control of when upgrades occur, and
> not some random installation. Run setup.exe off the
> media with the new OS on it, to Repair Install. The media
> need only be present or mounted, during the first
> "copy" phase, where the media is unpacked. After that,
> it doesn't matter if the DVD or ISO is visible or not.
>
> Paul

I thought I was informed a while ago that Windows 10 21H2 was actually
Windows 11. So why would I want Windows 10 21H2 and how would it update or
could I do that through the cumulative updates?
--
<Bill>

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<Okl7J.33800$dI3.28379@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54432&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54432

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:49:34 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 17:49 UTC

On 2021-10-06 12:34 p.m., Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Paul wrote:

>>> Paul
>>
>> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
>> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do". The answer to
>> that, is to force in the new version of whatever you want,
>> outside of Windows Update, using the ISO version or if
>> you feel more comfortable with it, a DVD you made from
>> a Windows 10 download. I do this all the time, because
>> I want to be in control of when upgrades occur, and
>> not some random installation. Run setup.exe off the
>> media with the new OS on it, to Repair Install. The media
>> need only be present or mounted, during the first
>> "copy" phase, where the media is unpacked. After that,
>> it doesn't matter if the DVD or ISO is visible or not.
>>
>> Paul
>
> I thought I was informed a while ago that Windows 10 21H2 was actually
> Windows 11. So why would I want Windows 10 21H2 and how would it update or
> could I do that through the cumulative updates?

Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 21H2 share a superficial version number
and probably have much of the same code but their GUI is different and,
officially, the operating system is different.

--
@RabidHussar

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<is6gk9FfcldU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54439&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54439

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 12:52:24 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 20:52 UTC

RabidHussar wrote:
> On 2021-10-06 12:34 p.m., Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
>>> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do". The answer to
>>> that, is to force in the new version of whatever you want,
>>> outside of Windows Update, using the ISO version or if
>>> you feel more comfortable with it, a DVD you made from
>>> a Windows 10 download. I do this all the time, because
>>> I want to be in control of when upgrades occur, and
>>> not some random installation. Run setup.exe off the
>>> media with the new OS on it, to Repair Install. The media
>>> need only be present or mounted, during the first
>>> "copy" phase, where the media is unpacked. After that,
>>> it doesn't matter if the DVD or ISO is visible or not.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> I thought I was informed a while ago that Windows 10 21H2 was
>> actually Windows 11. So why would I want Windows 10 21H2 and how
>> would it update or could I do that through the cumulative updates?
>
> Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 21H2 share a superficial version number
> and probably have much of the same code but their GUI is different
> and, officially, the operating system is different.

I also should have asked if I am at 21H1 should I find a way to install
21H2?

<Bill>

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<sjl95e$1g3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54443&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54443

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 18:48:49 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 22:48 UTC

On 10/6/2021 4:52 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> RabidHussar wrote:

>>> I thought I was informed a while ago that Windows 10 21H2 was
>>> actually Windows 11. So why would I want Windows 10 21H2 and how
>>> would it update or could I do that through the cumulative updates?
>>
>> Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 21H2 share a superficial version number
>> and probably have much of the same code but their GUI is different
>> and, officially, the operating system is different.
>
> I also should have asked if I am at 21H1 should I find a way to install
> 21H2?
>
> <Bill>

Download 21H2 DVD image, as "windows.iso", right-click it and
select "Mount", double-click Setup.exe on the resulting DVD drive
on the desktop. Done.

You can use winver.exe that is on most of the Windows OSes,
to check your version.

https://i.postimg.cc/HscfWJZd/maintenance-plan.gif

Paul

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<is8ojbFsk7mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54486&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54486

From: brads...@gci.net (Bill Bradshaw)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:20:42 -0800
 by: Bill Bradshaw - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 17:20 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 10/6/2021 4:52 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
>> RabidHussar wrote:

>>> Windows 10 21H2 and Windows 11 21H2 share a superficial version
>>> number and probably have much of the same code but their GUI is
>>> different and, officially, the operating system is different.
>>
>> I also should have asked if I am at 21H1 should I find a way to
>> install 21H2?
>>
>> <Bill>
>
> Download 21H2 DVD image, as "windows.iso", right-click it and
> select "Mount", double-click Setup.exe on the resulting DVD drive
> on the desktop. Done.
>
> You can use winver.exe that is on most of the Windows OSes,
> to check your version.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/HscfWJZd/maintenance-plan.gif
>
> Paul

I was not sure about upgrading but I will get the ISO and do the upgrade.

Thanks,

<Bill>

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<sjo1h5$5ab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54503&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54503

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 19:57:22 -0400
 by: Paul - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 23:57 UTC

On 10/7/2021 1:20 PM, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Paul wrote:

>>> I also should have asked if I am at 21H1 should I find a way to
>>> install 21H2?
>>>
>>> <Bill>
>>
>> Download 21H2 DVD image, as "windows.iso", right-click it and
>> select "Mount", double-click Setup.exe on the resulting DVD drive
>> on the desktop. Done.
>>
>> You can use winver.exe that is on most of the Windows OSes,
>> to check your version.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/HscfWJZd/maintenance-plan.gif
>>
>> Paul
>
> I was not sure about upgrading but I will get the ISO and do the upgrade.
>
> Thanks,
>
> <Bill>

Well, when you see a thread announcing 21H2 is here/ready/downloading,
then you'll be prepared with a plan. All that's come out so far is
Windows 11. Who knows what Microsoft will do next, really, for Windows 10.

Paul

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<a1f53ix203.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54513&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54513

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:19:06 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 09:19 UTC

On 06/10/2021 06.05, Paul wrote:
> On 10/5/2021 9:37 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 10/5/2021 5:19 PM, knuttle wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to remove he constant nag about the fact that my
>>> computer is too old to run Windows 11.
>>>
>>> I realized a month ago that I no longer had to fuss with a Windows
>>> update for several days consecutive days at the end of each month.
>>>
>>> I am not stupid and don't need to be constantly told my computer will
>>> not run W11
>>
>> It could be, that adding the same setting as worked in Windows 7,
>> would be enough to do it.
>>
>> https://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Stop-upgrade-to-Windows-10-pic3.png
>>

>>     HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
>>         DisableOSUpgrade DWORD 1
>>
>> If you're on Professional, and have "gpedit.msc"
>>
>>     Computer Configuration >
>>        Administrative Templates >
>>           Windows Components >
>>              Windows Update
>>
>>                 "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version
>>                  of Windows through Windows Update"
>>
>> The key might not be present in the Regedit example,
>> which is why the gpedit.msc is, um, "easier" in some
>> limited sense.
>>
>> There was a utility for this too, a third party one.
>> I just don't remember the name :-)
>>
>>      Paul
>
> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do".

just disable TPM?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<sjp8ni$nbu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54516&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54516

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 07:06:23 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:06 UTC

On 10/8/2021 5:19 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 06/10/2021 06.05, Paul wrote:

>>> It could be, that adding the same setting as worked in Windows 7,
>>> would be enough to do it.
>>>
>>> https://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Stop-upgrade-to-Windows-10-pic3.png
>>>

>>>     HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
>>>         DisableOSUpgrade DWORD 1
>>>
>>> If you're on Professional, and have "gpedit.msc"
>>>
>>>     Computer Configuration >
>>>        Administrative Templates >
>>>           Windows Components >
>>>              Windows Update
>>>
>>>                 "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version
>>>                  of Windows through Windows Update"
>>>
>>> The key might not be present in the Regedit example,
>>> which is why the gpedit.msc is, um, "easier" in some
>>> limited sense.
>>>
>>> There was a utility for this too, a third party one.
>>> I just don't remember the name :-)
>>>
>>>      Paul
>>
>> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
>> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do".
>
> just disable TPM?

Well, seeing as the Health Check doesn't seem to download
the entire DVD, that would probably be sufficient.

There have been OSes in the past, where the whole thing
downloads, and only then does it check that the install
won't work. I'm trying to avoid that sort of thing. The
"failure to install" I tested here, it did not seem to
download a lot before the dialog appeared saying it won't
work.

Paul

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<inn53ixpt6.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54522&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54522

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 13:47:30 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 11:47 UTC

On 08/10/2021 13.06, Paul wrote:
> On 10/8/2021 5:19 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 06/10/2021 06.05, Paul wrote:

>>> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
>>> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do".
>>
>> just disable TPM?
>
> Well, seeing as the Health Check doesn't seem to download
> the entire DVD, that would probably be sufficient.
>
> There have been OSes in the past, where the whole thing
> downloads, and only then does it check that the install
> won't work.

:-/

Yes, I remember. Happened with the forced upgrade from 7 to 10. it would
even try to upgrade. I think it would even try again the download in
some cases. The trick was then to configure wifi as expensive connection.

> I'm trying to avoid that sort of thing. The
> "failure to install" I tested here, it did not seem to
> download a lot before the dialog appeared saying it won't
> work.

Indeed, appreciated.

It would be fantastic having a regedit variable to block the version
upgrade.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<isbfrlFe3ucU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54538&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54538

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 19:09:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 18:09 UTC

On 06/10/2021 05:05, Paul wrote:
> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do". The answer to
> that, is to force in the new version of whatever you want,
> outside of Windows Update, using the ISO version or if

Most people seem to think there won't be any more complete releases of
Windows 10 and staying on Windows 10 will just work exactly like staying
on Windows 10 2004 or 20H2 does with just normal incremental updates
until 21H1 isn't supported any more.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer

<sjqpt7$v09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54558&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54558

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 21:05:38 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 01:05 UTC

On 10/8/2021 2:09 PM, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 06/10/2021 05:05, Paul wrote:
>> And if you ask me "I don't want Windows 11 21H2, but I
>> do want Windows 10 21H2, what can I do". The answer to
>> that, is to force in the new version of whatever you want,
>> outside of Windows Update, using the ISO version or if
>
> Most people seem to think there won't be any more complete releases
> of Windows 10 and staying on Windows 10 will just work exactly like > staying on Windows 10 2004 or 20H2 does with just normal incremental
> updates until 21H1 isn't supported any more.

They can do anything they want at this point.

I'm trying to prepare people for whatever happens.

*If* a new Upgrade shows up, just grab the ISO, use Setup.exe, done.

I don't work there, and can't tell you what silly thing will happen next.

*******

Remember, no matter what, the final objective is to turn your
desktop into a SmartPhone! You have been warned. Plan accordingly.

*******

Coming to desktop processors... Some companies are afraid to
admit they're doing this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_Sphere#Microsoft_Pluton

Paul

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Remove Warning about W11 on a W10 computer