"Jesus saves...but Gretzky gets the rebound!" -- Daniel Hinojosa (hinojosa@hp-sdd)

computers / news.software.nntp / just a curious wishlist inn tool

SubjectAuthor
* just a curious wishlist inn toolnoel
+* Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolJulien ÉLIE
|`- Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolnoel
+- Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolGrant Taylor
+* Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolEtian
|`* Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolnoel
| `* Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolnoel
|  `- Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolEtian
`- Re: just a curious wishlist inn toolyamo'

1
just a curious wishlist inn tool

<61e946b1$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=545&group=news.software.nntp#545

From: deletet...@invalid.lan (noel)
Subject: just a curious wishlist inn tool
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: 20 Jan 2022 21:25:37 +1000
 by: noel - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 11:25 UTC

We about a year ago tried to migrate from dnews to inn, for dnews, as
great as it is, very system resource light, and lightning fast, with its
article store format, has one flaw due to its age and non developer
interest, it can not work with IPv6, sure, we can put in work around with
TCP trickery, but that doesnt work well trying to enforce limits and at
best, is a bandaid fix.

So we tried inn, at first this looked promising, but using the push
method wouldn't inject old articles from dnews server to inn server,
regardless of settings, we point finger at inn in this case be it
directly or indirectly, as when we setup a dummy second dnews server and
issued push it started flying out teh door, we not developers so we have
no interest in who what or why, we just know it doesnt work.

So we tried inn's pull, using a pull list of every group, seemed ok at
first, but we ended up terminating it 2 weeks later, when it barely
reached what we think was about 20%, yes, we know pull is known to be
"slow", that brings me to my wishlist, a tool to convert, localy
preferably, dnews (and you could insert others like diablo here too) db
or articles at least, into inn.

Our ipv6 access is still at an unmeasurable low level, so we see no need
for urgency and can happily run as we are for a good few years to come
before we might even close to needing to do somthing, so I'm just
throwing this out there as an idea inn devs might want to consider some
time in the future.

Cheers

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<ssbqft$29bti$1@news.trigofacile.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=546&group=news.software.nntp#546

From: iul...@nom-de-mon-site.com.invalid (Julien ÉLIE)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:10:04 +0100
 by: Julien ÉLIE - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 14:10 UTC

Hi Noel,

> So we tried inn, at first this looked promising, but using the push
> method wouldn't inject old articles from dnews server to inn server

What is exactly the DNews "push" method?

> So we tried inn's pull, using a pull list of every groupseemed ok at
> first, but we ended up terminating it 2 weeks later, when it barely
> reached what we think was about 20%
Was it with pullnews? With INN 2.6.x?
How many articles do you have in your spool?

> that brings me to my wishlist, a tool to convert, localy
> preferably, dnews (and you could insert others like diablo here too) db
> or articles at least, into inn.

Does DNews know how to re-feed the articles in its spool or implement
any sort of "export" feature?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Love is blind but marriage is an eye-opener. »

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<ssc57c$s5s$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=551&group=news.software.nntp#551

From: gtay...@tnetconsulting.net (Grant Taylor)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:13:21 -0700
 by: Grant Taylor - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:13 UTC

On 1/20/22 4:25 AM, noel wrote:
> So we tried inn, at first this looked promising, but using the push
> method wouldn't inject old articles from dnews server to inn server,
> regardless of settings,

What settings did you change? Were said settings in DNews and / or INN?

INN won't accept articles over a certain age (I think it's somewhere
between two weeks and a month) explicitly prevent re-injecting older
articles. I think there are two settings that you need to change in INN
to allow older articles.

> we not developers so we have no interest in who what or why, we just
> know it doesnt work.

That sounds to me like you don't care enough to take the time to ask why
something doesn't work. Instead you just want to complain about it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<a1f89$61ea0df1$a6ab7a4a$16688@news.sonic-news.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=554&group=news.software.nntp#554

Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
From: eti...@sonic-news.com (Etian)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:35:43 -0800
 by: Etian - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 01:35 UTC

On 1/20/22 3:25 AM, noel wrote:
> We about a year ago tried to migrate from dnews to inn, for dnews, as
> great as it is, very system resource light, and lightning fast, with its
> article store format, has one flaw due to its age and non developer
> interest, it can not work with IPv6, sure, we can put in work around with
> TCP trickery, but that doesnt work well trying to enforce limits and at
> best, is a bandaid fix.
>
> So we tried inn, at first this looked promising, but using the push
> method wouldn't inject old articles from dnews server to inn server,
> regardless of settings, we point finger at inn in this case be it
> directly or indirectly, as when we setup a dummy second dnews server and
> issued push it started flying out teh door, we not developers so we have
> no interest in who what or why, we just know it doesnt work.
>
> So we tried inn's pull, using a pull list of every group, seemed ok at
> first, but we ended up terminating it 2 weeks later, when it barely
> reached what we think was about 20%, yes, we know pull is known to be
> "slow", that brings me to my wishlist, a tool to convert, localy
> preferably, dnews (and you could insert others like diablo here too) db
> or articles at least, into inn.
>
> Our ipv6 access is still at an unmeasurable low level, so we see no need
> for urgency and can happily run as we are for a good few years to come
> before we might even close to needing to do somthing, so I'm just
> throwing this out there as an idea inn devs might want to consider some
> time in the future.
>
> Cheers

Did you set artcutoff in inn.conf high enough to allow old articles from
your dnews spool?

What inn article storage method are you using? cycbuffs should work
great if you are pushing articles from dnews.

Are you trying to duplicate article numbering from the dnews spool
(inn.conf: xrefslave = true)? That goes really slow. I don't think the
inn overview process can keep up with it for text groups.

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<ssghod$m0b$1@rasp.pasdenom.info>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=555&group=news.software.nntp#555

From: yam...@beurdin.invalid (yamo')
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:11:41 +0100
 by: yamo' - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:11 UTC

Hi,
noel a tapoté le 20/01/2022 12:25:
> We about a year ago tried to migrate from dnews to inn

Is your Dnews still running?

On INN, the method for feed all article from a server to another is :
<https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/inn.html#S6.4>

May there is something equivalent on Dnews.

--
Stéphane

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<61f12f4a$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=598&group=news.software.nntp#598

From: deletet...@invalid.lan (noel)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: 26 Jan 2022 21:23:54 +1000
 by: noel - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:23 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:10:04 +0100, Julien ÉLIE wrote:

> Hi Noel,
>
>> So we tried inn, at first this looked promising, but using the push
>> method wouldn't inject old articles from dnews server to inn server
>
> What is exactly the DNews "push" method?

I imagine ihave

>> So we tried inn's pull, using a pull list of every groupseemed ok at
>> first, but we ended up terminating it 2 weeks later, when it barely
>> reached what we think was about 20%
> Was it with pullnews? With INN 2.6.x?
> How many articles do you have in your spool?

gawd, the spool size is over a terabyte

>> that brings me to my wishlist, a tool to convert, localy preferably,
>> dnews (and you could insert others like diablo here too) db or articles
>> at least, into inn.
>
> Does DNews know how to re-feed the articles in its spool or implement
> any sort of "export" feature?

yes, "refeed" thats what we tried at first and inn didnt take anything

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<61f12fd3$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=599&group=news.software.nntp#599

From: deletet...@invalid.lan (noel)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: 26 Jan 2022 21:26:11 +1000
 by: noel - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:26 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:35:43 -0800, Etian wrote:

> On 1/20/22 3:25 AM, noel wrote:
>> We about a year ago tried to migrate from dnews to inn, for dnews, as
>> great as it is, very system resource light, and lightning fast, with
>> its article store format, has one flaw due to its age and non developer
>> interest, it can not work with IPv6, sure, we can put in work around
>> with TCP trickery, but that doesnt work well trying to enforce limits
>> and at best, is a bandaid fix.
>>
>> So we tried inn, at first this looked promising, but using the push
>> method wouldn't inject old articles from dnews server to inn server,
>> regardless of settings, we point finger at inn in this case be it
>> directly or indirectly, as when we setup a dummy second dnews server
>> and issued push it started flying out teh door, we not developers so we
>> have no interest in who what or why, we just know it doesnt work.
>>
>> So we tried inn's pull, using a pull list of every group, seemed ok at
>> first, but we ended up terminating it 2 weeks later, when it barely
>> reached what we think was about 20%, yes, we know pull is known to be
>> "slow", that brings me to my wishlist, a tool to convert, localy
>> preferably, dnews (and you could insert others like diablo here too) db
>> or articles at least, into inn.
>>
>> Our ipv6 access is still at an unmeasurable low level, so we see no
>> need for urgency and can happily run as we are for a good few years to
>> come before we might even close to needing to do somthing, so I'm just
>> throwing this out there as an idea inn devs might want to consider some
>> time in the future.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Did you set artcutoff in inn.conf high enough to allow old articles from
> your dnews spool?

99999999

> What inn article storage method are you using? cycbuffs should work
> great if you are pushing articles from dnews.

I beleive that was it, following recommedations

> Are you trying to duplicate article numbering from the dnews spool
> (inn.conf: xrefslave = true)? That goes really slow. I don't think the
> inn overview process can keep up with it for text groups.

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<61f13076$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=600&group=news.software.nntp#600

From: deletet...@invalid.lan (noel)
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
Date: 26 Jan 2022 21:28:54 +1000
 by: noel - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:28 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:26:11 +1000, noel wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:35:43 -0800, Etian wrote:
>
>> On 1/20/22 3:25 AM, noel wrote:
>>> We about a year ago tried to migrate from dnews to inn, for dnews, as
>>> great as it is, very system resource light, and lightning fast, with
>>> its article store format, has one flaw due to its age and non
>>> developer interest, it can not work with IPv6, sure, we can put in
>>> work around with TCP trickery, but that doesnt work well trying to
>>> enforce limits and at best, is a bandaid fix.
>>>
>>> So we tried inn, at first this looked promising, but using the push
>>> method wouldn't inject old articles from dnews server to inn server,
>>> regardless of settings, we point finger at inn in this case be it
>>> directly or indirectly, as when we setup a dummy second dnews server
>>> and issued push it started flying out teh door, we not developers so
>>> we have no interest in who what or why, we just know it doesnt work.
>>>
>>> So we tried inn's pull, using a pull list of every group, seemed ok
>>> at first, but we ended up terminating it 2 weeks later, when it barely
>>> reached what we think was about 20%, yes, we know pull is known to be
>>> "slow", that brings me to my wishlist, a tool to convert, localy
>>> preferably, dnews (and you could insert others like diablo here too)
>>> db or articles at least, into inn.
>>>
>>> Our ipv6 access is still at an unmeasurable low level, so we see no
>>> need for urgency and can happily run as we are for a good few years to
>>> come before we might even close to needing to do somthing, so I'm just
>>> throwing this out there as an idea inn devs might want to consider
>>> some time in the future.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> Did you set artcutoff in inn.conf high enough to allow old articles
>> from your dnews spool?
>>

> 99999999
>
>> What inn article storage method are you using? cycbuffs should work
>> great if you are pushing articles from dnews.
>
> I beleive that was it, following recommedations
>

>> Are you trying to duplicate article numbering from the dnews spool
>> (inn.conf: xrefslave = true)? That goes really slow. I don't think the
>> inn overview process can keep up with it for text groups.

oops forgot to reply to this buit, yes we were to avoid pi##ing off
users :)

Re: just a curious wishlist inn tool

<c0cb4$61f1739f$a6ab7ab0$32498@news.sonic-news.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=604&group=news.software.nntp#604

Newsgroups: news.software.nntp
From: eti...@sonic-news.com (Etian)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 08:15:27 -0800
 by: Etian - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:15 UTC

On 1/26/22 3:28 AM, noel wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 21:26:11 +1000, noel wrote:
>

>>> Are you trying to duplicate article numbering from the dnews spool
>>> (inn.conf: xrefslave = true)? That goes really slow. I don't think the
>>> inn overview process can keep up with it for text groups.
>
> oops forgot to reply to this buit, yes we were to avoid pi##ing off
> users :)

I think that's where the problem lies, at least with using pull. I ran
into the same problem, and never did figure out a work-around. The
problem is crossposted articles create overviews out of order in the
crosspost groups, and this slows down the overview process.

I would focus on debugging the problems with Dnews push method. Is
Dnews sending the xref: header which INN needs to duplicate numbering?
INN will reject articles without it when xrefslave is true. There might
be a setting or flag in Dnews to enable that.