Pray to God, but keep rowing to shore. -- Russian Proverb

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

SubjectAuthor
* What's your favourite audio player and why?Yrrah
+* Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?Johnny
|`* Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?Mike Easter
| `* Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?Johnny
|  `- Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?pinnerite
+- Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?RonB
+- Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?Marco Moock
+* Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?Big Al
|`- Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?Brad Boimler
`- Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?someone

1
What's your favourite audio player and why?

<8r2luh53t2vvro6fi8hhvhf49r1n2oqaok@net.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5439&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5439

From: Yrrah-a...@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: What's your favourite audio player and why?
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:50:38 +0100
 by: Yrrah - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 19:50 UTC

As in subject line. Just being curious.

I had a look at several audio players (under active development) and
am still undecided between Audacious and DeaDBeef, but the latter
looks like the winner. Both are very good though imho and work fine
with local files and radio streams.
I like DB's configurability, although it took me a while to figure it
all out. DB comes with more than 50 plugins. I removed about 3/4 of
them, but had to compile the mpris plugin myself (from a separate
download). Users can have a lot of eye candy and other extras or opt
for the more minimalistic look preferred by me.

https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/

https://audacious-media-player.org/

Yrrah
(Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon)

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<20230213150953.0ca9fafb@mx>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5440&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5440

From: Joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 15:09:53 -0600
 by: Johnny - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 21:09 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 20:50:38 +0100
Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid> wrote:

> As in subject line. Just being curious.
>
> I had a look at several audio players (under active development) and
> am still undecided between Audacious and DeaDBeef, but the latter
> looks like the winner. Both are very good though imho and work fine
> with local files and radio streams.
> I like DB's configurability, although it took me a while to figure it
> all out. DB comes with more than 50 plugins. I removed about 3/4 of
> them, but had to compile the mpris plugin myself (from a separate
> download). Users can have a lot of eye candy and other extras or opt
> for the more minimalistic look preferred by me.
>
> https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/
>
> https://audacious-media-player.org/
>

> Yrrah
> (Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon)

I guess it depends on what you are listening to. I listen to audio
books. I like mysteries and detective stories.

I use VLC media player, and it's fine for this. It has effects and
filters to change the sound of the reader's voice.

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<k4vsloFr9gdU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5441&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5441

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:41:59 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 22:41 UTC

Johnny wrote:
> It has effects and filters to change the sound of the reader's
> voice.

I don't have but 1 experience w/ an audio book; but at a recent book
club meeting, one of the participants said that she had been having a
hard time 'following' a conventional dead tree book we were discussing,
until she acquired the audio book and the 'narrator' of the book
'adopted' different voices for the various characters and it helped her
ability to follow.

Since it was my understanding that this was a single narrator, as
opposed to 'several' male/female narrators such as might play roles on a
radio story/drama, then I was 'perplexed' that the narrator would have
such a skill as to have 'many' voices.

Now I wonder if that voices management was done 'artificially' -
technically as opposed to by the individual.

--
Mike Easter

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<20230213165410.21f08864@mx>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5442&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5442

From: Joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:54:10 -0600
 by: Johnny - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 22:54 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:41:59 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Johnny wrote:
> > It has effects and filters to change the sound of the reader's
> > voice.
>
> I don't have but 1 experience w/ an audio book; but at a recent book
> club meeting, one of the participants said that she had been having a
> hard time 'following' a conventional dead tree book we were
> discussing, until she acquired the audio book and the 'narrator' of
> the book 'adopted' different voices for the various characters and it
> helped her ability to follow.
>
> Since it was my understanding that this was a single narrator, as
> opposed to 'several' male/female narrators such as might play roles
> on a radio story/drama, then I was 'perplexed' that the narrator
> would have such a skill as to have 'many' voices.
>
> Now I wonder if that voices management was done 'artificially' -
> technically as opposed to by the individual.

I don't think it was artifical. I have heard several readers that can
do that. It all depends on the person reading the book, whether or not
I can listen to it. Some read too slow, some too fast and some just
sound terrible.

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<tsf1gs$2dklk$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5443&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5443

From: ronb02NO...@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 04:09:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 04:09 UTC

On 2023-02-13, Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid> wrote:
> As in subject line. Just being curious.
>
> I had a look at several audio players (under active development) and
> am still undecided between Audacious and DeaDBeef, but the latter
> looks like the winner. Both are very good though imho and work fine
> with local files and radio streams.
> I like DB's configurability, although it took me a while to figure it
> all out. DB comes with more than 50 plugins. I removed about 3/4 of
> them, but had to compile the mpris plugin myself (from a separate
> download). Users can have a lot of eye candy and other extras or opt
> for the more minimalistic look preferred by me.
>
> https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/
>
> https://audacious-media-player.org/
>

> Yrrah
> (Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon)

I mostly use Moc now (from the Terminal). My organization is just by
sub-directory.

http://moc.daper.net/

It's in the repository (at least for Linux Mint 20.x).

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<tsfhna$2egv3$10@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5444&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5444

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 09:45:30 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:45 UTC

Am 13.02.2023 um 20:50:38 Uhr schrieb Yrrah:

> As in subject line. Just being curious.

VLC.
It works, has a good UI (I heard rumors that it will change in the
future) and doesn't annoy me.

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<tsfvt6$2ha1a$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5445&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5445

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 07:47:35 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 12:47 UTC

On 2/13/23 14:50, this is what Yrrah wrote:
> As in subject line. Just being curious.
>
> I had a look at several audio players (under active development) and
> am still undecided between Audacious and DeaDBeef, but the latter
> looks like the winner. Both are very good though imho and work fine
> with local files and radio streams.
> I like DB's configurability, although it took me a while to figure it
> all out. DB comes with more than 50 plugins. I removed about 3/4 of
> them, but had to compile the mpris plugin myself (from a separate
> download). Users can have a lot of eye candy and other extras or opt
> for the more minimalistic look preferred by me.
>
> https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/
>
> https://audacious-media-player.org/
>

> Yrrah
> (Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon)

I like audacious. I found a skin to make it look like Winamp (windows) so I feel at home with it. I do like the fact
that it displays the total playing time of the playlist.

https://i.postimg.cc/Mp6whfd9/Audacious.png

I'm not sure what other players will do that it won't. I don't need a catalog, sorting by artist/album and such. I
just play the music I have sorted in folders, one folder at a time. I tried rhythmbox but found that horrible. Of
course VLC works but again I don't have much need but for the music to come out of speakers or earbuds.

I'll check out deadbeef out of curiosity but since my needs are simple, can't come up up with why.
Al

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<tsinqb$2tb99$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5454&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5454

From: bra...@boimler.it (Brad Boimler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 14:47:55 +0100
 by: Brad Boimler - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:47 UTC

Il 14/02/23 13:47, Big Al ha scritto:

> I like audacious.  I found a skin to make it look like Winamp (windows)
> so I feel at home with it.   I do like the fact that it displays the
> total playing time of the playlist.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/Mp6whfd9/Audacious.png

+1

I'm too an old user of Winamp 2.95 (omg!) and with Audacious I'm feeling
just like home.

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<tsj6lj$2uta$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5456&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5456

From: some...@invalid.invalid (someone)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 11:01:23 -0700
 by: someone - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 18:01 UTC

On 2/13/23 12:50 PM, Yrrah wrote:
> As in subject line. Just being curious.

SoX. It has some issues but I still like it. It's easy to script; I've
written a zenity(1) based Internet radio streamer which incorporates
sox(1). Be sure to install libsox-fmt-all too so you get support for
all formats.

Re: What's your favourite audio player and why?

<20230215203639.02ef538d16ed06cbbf9c1ab6@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5457&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5457

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 20:36:39 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 15 Feb 2023 20:36 UTC

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 16:54:10 -0600
Johnny <Johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:41:59 -0800
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Johnny wrote:
> > > It has effects and filters to change the sound of the reader's
> > > voice.
> >
> > I don't have but 1 experience w/ an audio book; but at a recent book
> > club meeting, one of the participants said that she had been having a
> > hard time 'following' a conventional dead tree book we were
> > discussing, until she acquired the audio book and the 'narrator' of
> > the book 'adopted' different voices for the various characters and it
> > helped her ability to follow.
> >
> > Since it was my understanding that this was a single narrator, as
> > opposed to 'several' male/female narrators such as might play roles
> > on a radio story/drama, then I was 'perplexed' that the narrator
> > would have such a skill as to have 'many' voices.
> >
> > Now I wonder if that voices management was done 'artificially' -
> > technically as opposed to by the individual.
> >

> I don't think it was artifical. I have heard several readers that can
> do that. It all depends on the person reading the book, whether or not
> I can listen to it. Some read too slow, some too fast and some just
> sound terrible.

I remember when I was young listening to BBC radio broadcasts of books
being read. The narrator would change his voice to fit the character he
was representing and again and again. It was very affective. I reckon
with a bit of practice I could do it.

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of