From: Lol...@Lola.com (Lola)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Remote Drive access shuts off only on this Laptop
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 10:11:22 -0800
 by: Lola - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 18:11 UTC

Sorry repeat. (I was on a friends PC last time using their account).
Still help needed.

When I boot my Lenovo T430S (Win 7 Pro 64bit) this drive remote X: is
available and usable.
The other laptop that has X: works fine.

On another Win XP Pro laptop the destination X: is always available and
usable and never does the problem seen in the following message.

There was discussion before but please be kind and if there was a
solution that I did not understand, please try to enlighten me again.

This problem laptop is a Lenovo T430S (Win 7 Pro 64bit).

There are no other problems that I can discern and have been using this
T430S daily for a year. Same problem keeps happening and I have to keep
booting to get access to this remote folder on another laptop.

Booting is not a soulution since an app I use takes forever to load the
magnitude of data from X:. Then when done loading the X: becomes
unusable. This unusable happens even when I am not using the X:. It
just becomes unusable whenever it wants to. Gremlins.

---------------------------
Restoring Network Connections
---------------------------
An error occurred while reconnecting X: to
\\LENOVOKAT\LenovoKat
Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restored.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I do not understand what "In Use" means.

Must boot to get it back and then I can copy / paste / delete etc this X:.

I also have a Western Digital (WD) NAS that also errors out like this
and requires a boot.

I do not know what causes the fail and it seems random when it will fail.

The naughty remotes do not fail at the same time. Right now after a
boot, the X: shut down after a few minutes and the WD is still OK for
now. The naughty drive get a red x on the icon when inaccessible.

Note that I have other Buffalo remote NAS that all stay properly connected.

Thank you !

Re: Remote Drive access shuts off only on this Laptop

<tocpjc$ak6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5455&group=alt.windows7.general#5455

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 10:36:27 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Mon, 26 Dec 2022 18:36 UTC

On 12/26/2022 10:11 AM, Lola wrote:
> Sorry repeat. (I was on a friends PC last time using their account).
> Still help needed.
>
> When I boot my Lenovo T430S (Win 7 Pro 64bit) this drive remote X: is
> available and usable.
> The other laptop that has X: works fine.
>
> On another Win XP Pro laptop the destination X: is always available and
> usable and never does the problem seen in the following message.
>
> There was discussion before but please be kind and if there was a
> solution that I did not understand, please try to enlighten me again.
>
> This problem laptop is a Lenovo T430S (Win 7 Pro 64bit).
>
> There are no other problems that I can discern and have been using this
> T430S daily for a year. Same problem keeps happening and I have to keep
> booting to get access to this remote folder on another laptop.
>
> Booting is not a soulution since an app I use takes forever to load the
> magnitude of data from X:. Then when done loading the X: becomes
> unusable. This unusable happens even when I am not using the X:. It
> just becomes unusable whenever it wants to. Gremlins.
>
> ---------------------------
> Restoring Network Connections
> ---------------------------
> An error occurred while reconnecting X: to
> \\LENOVOKAT\LenovoKat
> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
>

> This connection has not been restored.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I do not understand what "In Use" means.
>
> Must boot to get it back and then I can copy / paste / delete etc this X:.
>
> I also have a Western Digital (WD) NAS that also errors out like this
> and requires a boot.
>
> I do not know what causes the fail and it seems random when it will fail.
>
> The naughty remotes do not fail at the same time. Right now after a
> boot, the X: shut down after a few minutes and the WD is still OK for
> now. The naughty drive get a red x on the icon when inaccessible.
>
> Note that I have other Buffalo remote NAS that all stay properly connected.
>
> Thank you !

Is it possible that something was previously attached as drive X and
removed without use of "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" (the
icon in the notification area, aka tray)?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods. Real
meat is natural. Beyond Meat is definitely not.

Re: Remote Drive access shuts off only on this Laptop

<toknah$1qe3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5456&group=alt.windows7.general#5456

From: Lol...@Lola.com (Lola)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 10:46:38 -0800
 by: Lola - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 18:46 UTC

The "X:" drive is a shared Laptop folder and the WD is a NAS.
Neither were disconnected.
If so, the other PCs I have would have responded as this Win 7 Pro laptop.

Re: Remote Drive access shuts off only on this Laptop

<tokq41$vp7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5457&group=alt.windows7.general#5457

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 14:34:25 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:34 UTC

On 12/29/2022 1:46 PM, Lola wrote:
> The "X:" drive is a shared Laptop folder and the WD is a NAS.
> Neither were disconnected.
> If so, the other PCs I have would have responded as this Win 7 Pro laptop.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/clearing-the-windows-xp-map-network-drives-mru-list/

HKCU \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Map Network Drive MRU

"If so, you may at some point in time want to clear that list — especially if it contains
UNC paths that you no longer use."

Here is an example of mine. I did not set this one up manually,
and the UNC involved is a VirtualBox path, so VirtualBox was using
a mapped letter while transferring information inside the Guest VM.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/c4dVYyvV/win11-network-drive-example.gif

But at least you can see a simple example, where I'd need to delete
the "a" entry and clean out the "a" value in the MRUList, to return
the state of the mappings to zippo.

*******

In terms of letter choices, the letter "Q" is not recommended. it
is used by old OneClick Microsoft packages, and it tries to open
the letter Q for its own purposes.

When you boot a Macrium rescue CD, or for that matter, any other
WinPE based media (Hirens perhaps), the letter X: is used for
the OS and C: is intended for the target (backup or restore target)
usage. Macrium has the ability to map a drive, in its Fake Explorer
mapped drive dialog box. But that has nothing to do with a
normal OS running as C: , in which case X: is fair game and can
be used for anything you want.

So there really aren't a lot of restrictions on drive letter.

I would clean out the registry, as instructed in the Techrepublic
article, and see on a reboot, whether the mapping thing works.
Since you cleaned it out, you will get to define X: (and all the other
letters you defined of course). And then you can see if the machine
is still confused or not.

*******

Uwe has a tool (someone from the WinXP group who visits occasionally)
for managing drive letters. You don't have to use all the features
in it, but it allows doing things like starting the assignment
of USB flash drives "half way up" the alphabet. One of the purposes
of this tool, is to stop Windows from mounting network mounts on
top of drive letters, and vice versa. Windows is not all that clever
about the drive lettering, which is why there are utilities like this.
Now, I don't think your flash drive just magically showed up as
X: a few seconds ago, but how would I know how you run your show ?
My other machine has very few drive letters left, which means
I would be a fool to start mapping drives on that machine. It's
as close to unmanageable as you can get. (That config is functionally
a NAS -- that is why it has a lot of drive letters.)

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Paul