From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows File Explorer Help
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 17:39:53 +0000
 by: Jim H - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 17:39 UTC

How can I apply the same set of column names to many folders at once,
including all subfolders of a folder?

--
Jim H

Re: Windows File Explorer Help

<sjac88$m3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54162&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54162

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows File Explorer Help
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:34:21 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 19:34 UTC

On 10/2/2021 1:39 PM, Jim H wrote:

> How can I apply the same set of column names to many folders at once,
> including all subfolders of a folder?

The only dialog I know of with that level of power,
is the Folder Options dialog. It can copy a view of a folder,
to all folders, likely on the same partition. So all of C:
would have the same view.

https://i.postimg.cc/jqHHtQ2X/folder-options-to-all-shellbags.gif

I've not tested the storage of column settings over all
folders that way. But you can try it out and see if it works.

The Folder Options dialog is "lodged" in the interface, slightly
differently on each Windows OS version. See Option 2 here...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2768-open-folder-options-windows-10-a.html

The setting may not apply to exactly every folder, as there is
limited storage declared for Shellbags in the Registry. In other
words, it might "mostly work", with the odd irritation to be
expected... some day. You would think they could store this information
in the desktop.ini, but that would not scale well (require slow disk
traversal). Whereas Shellbags is relatively fast traversal in
the Registry (for cached folder views). You can't win really.

Paul

Re: Windows File Explorer Help

<sjag21$eu2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54166&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54166

From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 20:39:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 20:39 UTC

Jim H <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> How can I apply the same set of column names to many folders at once,
> including all subfolders of a folder?

View > Options > View > Apply to Folders, applies your current view to all
folders of the matching file type. Sometimes you have to guess what that file
type is. The other method was probably given, to use the top level folder
Properties > Customize, applying it to all subfolders.

Re: Windows File Explorer Help

<PN86J.8765$7U3.7620@fx24.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54182&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54182

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: rab...@huss.ar (RabidHussar)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 22:43:58 -0400
 by: RabidHussar - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 02:43 UTC

On 2021-10-02 10:19 p.m., 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 02/10/2021 18:39, Jim H wrote:
>> How can I apply the same set of column names to many folders at once,
>> including all subfolders of a folder?
>>
> 1> Open one folder which you have already set as required. This folder
> will be used as template for other folders.
>
> 2> Now click: View >> Options >> View (again)
>
> 3) Click Apply to folders.
>
> See this image:
>
> [[ img for Jimmy ] <https://i.imgur.com/dtnTA3B.jpg>]
>

> --
> Windows-10: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-10>
> Windows-8: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.os.windows-8>
> Windows-7: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.windows7.general>
> Windows XP: <news://freenews.netfront.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
> Windows-XP: <news://freenews.netfront.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>
> Firefox: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.software.firefox>
> Thunderbird: <news://freenews.netfront.net/alt.comp.software.thunderbird>
>
> Google Groups: <https://groups.google.com/g/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general>

While I wasn't the one who originally asked, I thank you for this little
tip.

--
@RabidHussar
Happy to shove that vaccine of yours up your ass

Re: Windows File Explorer Help

<a58jmgh552u6ccd2krhcnnlvrpbrlpq7uo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54727&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54727

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Jim H)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Sender: Jim Higgins <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:46:41 +0000
 by: Jim H - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:46 UTC

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:34:21 -0400, in <sjac88$m3s$1@dont-email.me>,
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>On 10/2/2021 1:39 PM, Jim H wrote:
>>
>> How can I apply the same set of column names to many folders at once,
>> including all subfolders of a folder?
>>

>The only dialog I know of with that level of power,
>is the Folder Options dialog. It can copy a view of a folder,
>to all folders, likely on the same partition. So all of C:
>would have the same view.

That's what I thought too, but it wasn't working... until I discovered
for it to work all folders to be acted upon had to be of the same
type... general, music, whatever.

I have music in the folders so I set the type of all folders to be
music, and then set the columns in the top folder to be as I wanted
and then applied that to all subfolders. Woo hoo.

>https://i.postimg.cc/jqHHtQ2X/folder-options-to-all-shellbags.gif
>
>I've not tested the storage of column settings over all
>folders that way. But you can try it out and see if it works.
>
>The Folder Options dialog is "lodged" in the interface, slightly
>differently on each Windows OS version. See Option 2 here...
>
>https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2768-open-folder-options-windows-10-a.html
>
>The setting may not apply to exactly every folder, as there is
>limited storage declared for Shellbags in the Registry. In other
>words, it might "mostly work", with the odd irritation to be
>expected... some day. You would think they could store this information
>in the desktop.ini, but that would not scale well (require slow disk
>traversal). Whereas Shellbags is relatively fast traversal in
>the Registry (for cached folder views). You can't win really.
>
> Paul

Thanks for the detail. It seems to work fine for almost 1,400 folders.

As far as winning, he who dies with the most toys wins!

Thanks again.

JimH
--
Jim H

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows File Explorer Help