From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game x6: Second Extinction
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 11:10:17 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:10 UTC

The hardest part of writing these posts is keeping track which one I
am on. Is this "Free Game x5"? "x9"? I always have to check to see
what the last one I wrote was, and then increment that number by one
(ugh, maths! ;-)

Epic's offering us another free game; are you surprised? Today, we
get:

Second Extinction
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/second-extinction

I know nothing about this game, which surprised me. Then I noticed
it's in Early Access. That's usually a warning flag for me, but
they're not expecting people to pay to be beta testers this time.
Anyway, the game is a co-op first-person shooter, like "Left4Dead",
except with dinosaurs instead of zombies. It's not a new concept in
regards to content or gameplay, but if we ignored games just because
they were repetitive clones, everybody at Ubisoft would have to get a
new job, and we wouldn't want that, would we? So take the darn game
and be happy! ;-)

(Do I sound grumpy? I think I might be a bit grumpy today).

Re: Free Game x6: Second Extinction

<9ee7c9d1-01aa-447d-808f-78815f21c919n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5459&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5459

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:11:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Free Game x6: Second Extinction
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 17:11 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 8:10:28 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> The hardest part of writing these posts is keeping track which one I
> am on. Is this "Free Game x5"? "x9"? I always have to check to see
> what the last one I wrote was, and then increment that number by one
> (ugh, maths! ;-)
>
> Epic's offering us another free game; are you surprised? Today, we
> get:
>
> Second Extinction
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/second-extinction
>
> I know nothing about this game, which surprised me. Then I noticed
> it's in Early Access. That's usually a warning flag for me, but
> they're not expecting people to pay to be beta testers this time.
> Anyway, the game is a co-op first-person shooter, like "Left4Dead",
> except with dinosaurs instead of zombies. It's not a new concept in
> regards to content or gameplay, but if we ignored games just because
> they were repetitive clones, everybody at Ubisoft would have to get a
> new job, and we wouldn't want that, would we? So take the darn game
> and be happy! ;-)
>
> (Do I sound grumpy? I think I might be a bit grumpy today).

No thanks, If I'm going to be a game tester I'm not doing it for free. I did
that once for ToEE and while I'm glad I helped with finding bugs to patch,
never again.

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game x6: Second Extinction

<0s74sg1erjjr4eormo2tfhugbon9nrop69@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5462&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5462

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:46:02 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 18:46 UTC

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:11:58 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 8:10:28 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>> Second Extinction
>> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/second-extinction

>> I know nothing about this game, which surprised me. Then I noticed
>> it's in Early Access. That's usually a warning flag for me, but
>> they're not expecting people to pay to be beta testers this time.

>No thanks, If I'm going to be a game tester I'm not doing it for free. I did
>that once for ToEE and while I'm glad I helped with finding bugs to patch,
>never again.

Yeah, I know what you mean (although, amongst buggy D&D games, I
always put "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" at the head of
its class; it originally came with a bug that could wipe out your
entire Windows install. The rest of the game wasn't much better).

Still, I figured it was worth grabbing "Second Extinction" just
because, eventually, it WILL come out of early access, and then I get
the final game for free. Of course, odds are this will be a free title
anyway, subsidized by cosmetics and other DLC, but you never know.

Just because you add it to the library today doesn't mean you have to
play it immediately, after all. At least, that's the justification I
used for getting it (not that I needed one).

Re: Free Game x6: Second Extinction

<UpadnTDk0_1A_l_8nZ2dnUU7-L2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5467&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5467

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 17:31:41 -0600
 by: Ant - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 23:31 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:11:58 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 8:10:28 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> >> Second Extinction
> >> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/second-extinction

> >> I know nothing about this game, which surprised me. Then I noticed
> >> it's in Early Access. That's usually a warning flag for me, but
> >> they're not expecting people to pay to be beta testers this time.

> >No thanks, If I'm going to be a game tester I'm not doing it for free. I did
> >that once for ToEE and while I'm glad I helped with finding bugs to patch,
> >never again.

> Yeah, I know what you mean (although, amongst buggy D&D games, I
> always put "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" at the head of
> its class; it originally came with a bug that could wipe out your
> entire Windows install. The rest of the game wasn't much better).

> Still, I figured it was worth grabbing "Second Extinction" just
> because, eventually, it WILL come out of early access, and then I get
> the final game for free. Of course, odds are this will be a free title
> anyway, subsidized by cosmetics and other DLC, but you never know.

> Just because you add it to the library today doesn't mean you have to
> play it immediately, after all. At least, that's the justification I
> used for getting it (not that I needed one).

Hmm, good idea. I'll claim it just in case.
--
Dang coldness, colony, works, leaks, mess, z, software upgrades, free games, spams, (scam/fraud)s, greeds, inflations, illnesses, body, life, craziness, BUSYness, etc. again. :( Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings / Merry Christmas / etc. though. *<|:D
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game x6: Second Extinction

<e9i6sg1i2o667u086uqbpegpu4175pqdk7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5478&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5478

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:54:07 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 15:54 UTC

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 17:31:41 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:11:58 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
>> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >No thanks, If I'm going to be a game tester I'm not doing it for free. I did
>> >that once for ToEE and while I'm glad I helped with finding bugs to patch,
>> >never again.

>> Still, I figured it was worth grabbing "Second Extinction" just
>> because, eventually, it WILL come out of early access, and then I get
>> the final game for free. Of course, odds are this will be a free title
>> anyway, subsidized by cosmetics and other DLC, but you never know.

>Hmm, good idea. I'll claim it just in case.

<rubs hands together malefically>
Yes, yes! Take the game! Acquire! Consume! Let your library grow!
Muahahahaha!

Less diabolically, "Second Extinction" is also on Steam (much to my
surprise; I assumed it was another of Epic's exclusives), and it
received a lot of good reviews. Apparently it is in a pretty good
state of completion, so while it is still in "Early Access" you can
still have fun with it. I'm still waiting, though. Currently Steam is
charging $25USD for the game, so my guess about it being a freemium
title was incorrect.