From: grim...@nomail.afraid.org (Grimble)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Remote Terminal Access
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:25:15 +0000
 by: Grimble - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 14:25 UTC

Has anybody experience of using remote terminal access to manage Windoze
machines from Mageia? I have a very occasional need to contact Win 10
machines 4 and 15 miles away, and cannot justify charity finance on a
paid service for the amount of time it will be used.
Searching around, the Linux solutions I've found all seem seem to
involve .deb packages, although there seems to be a conversion process
(alien).
TIA

--
Grimble
Machine 'Haydn' running Plasma 5.20.4 on 5.15.98-desktop-1.mga8 kernel.

Re: Remote Terminal Access

<op.11sxuye4a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5500&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5500

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Remote Terminal Access
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 11:12:24 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Tue, 14 Mar 2023 15:12 UTC

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:25:15 -0400, Grimble <grimble@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> Has anybody experience of using remote terminal access to manage Windoze
> machines from Mageia? I have a very occasional need to contact Win 10
> machines 4 and 15 miles away, and cannot justify charity finance on a
> paid service for the amount of time it will be used.
> Searching around, the Linux solutions I've found all seem seem to
> involve .deb packages, although there seems to be a conversion process
> (alien).
> TIA

I've never considered windows secure enough to risk opening up remote access
for the people I've provided support for, so have no experience with it.

If you do decide to go that route, look at putty/openssh for windows.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Remote Terminal Access

<turit1$nvj1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5501&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5501

From: unr...@invalid.ca (William Unruh)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 04:51:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: William Unruh - Wed, 15 Mar 2023 04:51 UTC

On 2023-03-14, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:25:15 -0400, Grimble <grimble@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>> Has anybody experience of using remote terminal access to manage Windoze
>> machines from Mageia? I have a very occasional need to contact Win 10
>> machines 4 and 15 miles away, and cannot justify charity finance on a
>> paid service for the amount of time it will be used.
>> Searching around, the Linux solutions I've found all seem seem to
>> involve .deb packages, although there seems to be a conversion process
>> (alien).
>> TIA
>
> I've never considered windows secure enough to risk opening up remote access
> for the people I've provided support for, so have no experience with it.
>
> If you do decide to go that route, look at putty/openssh for windows.

I have gone the other way-- Windows to Linux via putty/openssh and it
works well. The problem with Linux to Windows is that you sould need to
run a permanant daemon on the Windows machine so it knows how to answer
your call to it. And that would then be a target for people to try to
break in via ssh. Harder then other ways, but another target
non-the-less. A really good strong password would help. (ie say 20
charactes long with no recognizable words in the phase, and a liberal
sprinking of characters and numbers.

Google gives me
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_windows_openssh_server#:~:text=On%20Windows%2010%20(version%201803,expand%20it%2C%20and%20select%20Install.