It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a correct one.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

SubjectAuthor
* Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!konda
+* Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!nospam
|+* Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!Ant
||`* Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!nospam
|| `- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download ofCarlos E. R.
|`* Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!luke
| `- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download ofBill
+* Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!Mayayana
|+- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!nospam
|+- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!Peter Jason
|`- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!Mayayana
+* Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download ofDavid E. Ross
|`- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!Ant
`* Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!NY
 +- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!nospam
 +- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!Mayayana
 `- Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download ofPaul

1
Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<slhd8k$1937$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55184&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55184

From: kondalav...@gmail.com (konda)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:02:25 +0100
 by: konda - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:02 UTC

Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when you use YouTube-DL software?

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<291020211423266094%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55186&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55186

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:23:26 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:23 UTC

In article <slhd8k$1937$1@gioia.aioe.org>, konda
<kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when you
> use YouTube-DL software?

they've been doing that for roughly a month.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<slhg06$7s8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55188&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55188

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:52:23 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:52 UTC

"konda" <kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote

| Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when
you use YouTube-DL software?

I've noticed increasingly common problems where I have
to stop the download and restart it, sometimes several
times. I wrote my own graphical front-end and have a
download guage with my firewall, so it's not a big deal.

People have said that youtube-dl is being discontinued.
So far I have no confirmation of that and the website has
not posted any notice. The alternative fork recommended
doesn't support XP... So, I've been wondering what to think
all around. Just this morning I was researching alternatives,
but there don't really seem to be any worth trying.

Tangentially, people have also been complaining about age
checks. Apparently the concern about kids getting porn has
given Google a perfect excuse to demand an ID to view
videos! Presumably downloading bypasses that, but I don't
know for sure.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<291020211457389246%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55189&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55189

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:57:38 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 18:57 UTC

In article <slhg06$7s8$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> People have said that youtube-dl is being discontinued.

it hasn't been updated in months

> So far I have no confirmation of that and the website has
> not posted any notice. The alternative fork recommended
> doesn't support XP... So, I've been wondering what to think
> all around. Just this morning I was researching alternatives,
> but there don't really seem to be any worth trying.

time to upgrade.

> Tangentially, people have also been complaining about age
> checks. Apparently the concern about kids getting porn has
> given Google a perfect excuse to demand an ID to view
> videos!

no id is needed.

> Presumably downloading bypasses that, but I don't
> know for sure.

it does not.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<mopong502pace8oeuhjccuigbf4skdhq3l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55195&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55195

From: pj...@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 08:30:50 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 21:30 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:52:23 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>"konda" <kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote
>
>| Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when
>you use YouTube-DL software?
>|

> I've noticed increasingly common problems where I have
>to stop the download and restart it, sometimes several
>times. I wrote my own graphical front-end and have a
>download guage with my firewall, so it's not a big deal.
>
> People have said that youtube-dl is being discontinued.
>So far I have no confirmation of that and the website has
>not posted any notice. The alternative fork recommended
>doesn't support XP... So, I've been wondering what to think
>all around. Just this morning I was researching alternatives,
>but there don't really seem to be any worth trying.
>
> Tangentially, people have also been complaining about age
>checks. Apparently the concern about kids getting porn has
>given Google a perfect excuse to demand an ID to view
>videos! Presumably downloading bypasses that, but I don't
>know for sure.

I have been banned from commenting on youTube videos because "I've not
adhered to their guidelines"; I'm automatically transferred to their
voluminous guidelines pages - all as verbose as the bible - and they
won't tell where I have transgressed! I have contacted them but all I
get is a referral to their guidelines!

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<slhvgv$oso$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55197&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55197

From: not...@not_there.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of
videos!!
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:18:54 -0700
 by: David E. Ross - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 23:18 UTC

On 10/29/2021 11:02 AM, konda wrote:
> Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads
> when you use YouTube-DL software?

Have you tried yt-dlp from <https://github.com/yt-dlp/>? The developer
claims this is "A youtube-dl fork with additional features and fixes".
The developer also claims youtube-dlc is now inactive (whatever that
means).

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<QcCdnXakWtYNceH8nZ2dnUU7-Q2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55202&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55202

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 01:56:16 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 06:56 UTC

In alt.windows7.general nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <slhd8k$1937$1@gioia.aioe.org>, konda
> <kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when you
> > use YouTube-DL software?

> they've been doing that for roughly a month.

IIRC, longer than that but less frequent.
--
Dang Moderna booster shot is taking me down again with the same symptoms, but longer! Horror! Worst COVID-19 shot ever so far. Will my weak body recovered by spooky Halloween?
| |o o| |

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<QcCdnXGkWtYiceH8nZ2dnUU7-Q2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55203&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55203

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 01:57:03 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 06:57 UTC

In alt.windows7.general David E. Ross <not_me@not_there.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/29/2021 11:02 AM, konda wrote:
> > Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads
> > when you use YouTube-DL software?

> Have you tried yt-dlp from <https://github.com/yt-dlp/>? The developer
> claims this is "A youtube-dl fork with additional features and fixes".
> The developer also claims youtube-dlc is now inactive (whatever that
> means).

Ditto.
--
Dang Moderna booster shot is taking me down again with the same symptoms, but longer! Horror! Worst COVID-19 shot ever so far. Will my weak body recovered by spooky Halloween?
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<301020210636310159%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55204&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55204

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 06:36:31 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:36 UTC

In article <QcCdnXakWtYNceH8nZ2dnUU7-Q2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

> > > Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when
> > > you
> > > use YouTube-DL software?
>
> > they've been doing that for roughly a month.
>
> IIRC, longer than that but less frequent.

it did, but was rare, and restarting it went full speed. now that no
longer happens. it's always throttled.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<5mlv4ix5pj.ln2@minas-tirith.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55205&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55205

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
videos!!
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 13:08:21 +0200
 by: Carlos E. R. - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 11:08 UTC

On 30/10/2021 12.36, nospam wrote:

>>> they've been doing that for roughly a month.
>>
>> IIRC, longer than that but less frequent.
>
> it did, but was rare, and restarting it went full speed. now that no
> longer happens. it's always throttled.

It has been an arms race between the script developers and youtube. I
guess the youtube people have found a way to throttle youtube-dl, and as
there are no new script versions since June, they succeeded.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<sljjnm$j5p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55214&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55214

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:08:23 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 14:08 UTC

"Frank Slootweg" <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote
| John,
| | Why do you remove newsgroups and why don't you say so?
| | Now there are several unconnected discussions in several groups, which
| is unproductive and suits no purpose.

I was wondering about that too. The topic of youtube-dl,
whether to possibly replace it, and if so, with what, is a
potentially relevant topic for all Windows users but there are
different issues for different versions.

For the record, as Frank said, this topic is going on
separately in each of 3 groups.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<mehrnglm0ku14c6eoc4go39lffaqf6gisr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55224&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55224

From: luk...@who.cares.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 17:35:38 -0500
 by: luk...@who.cares.com - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 22:35 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:23:26 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <slhd8k$1937$1@gioia.aioe.org>, konda
><kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when you
>> use YouTube-DL software?
>
>they've been doing that for roughly a month.

I haven't noticed. But then I'm still using XP with the old FFx
version 52.9 non ESR nonsense.

I use the latest 3d youtube downloader.

I do not see commercials with this setup. I'm going to keep it this
way.

I just downloaded two long videos with no problems.

Dana Winner - Millenniumconcert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUdsoJHXmCU

Beautiful Songs from Dana Winner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJusYILHmxY

I tried using a later version of FFx and had the damn thing actually
stop inside some downloads to do commercials. I'm going to keep using
the old stuff until it no longer works. Some vids tell me that I
can't download them because my browser is not up to date. If I want it
bad enuf, I can still download it with 3d downloader and then check it
out with my Win Media Player 11.0.5721.5145

Just my two cents about the newer junk and "progress".

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<zekfJ.28161$IW4.10576@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55225&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55225

videos!!
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 19:07:09 -0400
 by: Bill - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 23:07 UTC

On 10/30/2021 6:35 PM, luke@who.cares.com wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 14:23:26 -0400, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <slhd8k$1937$1@gioia.aioe.org>, konda
>> <kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when you
>>> use YouTube-DL software?
>>
>> they've been doing that for roughly a month.
>
> I haven't noticed. But then I'm still using XP with the old FFx
> version 52.9 non ESR nonsense.
>
> I use the latest 3d youtube downloader.
>
> I do not see commercials with this setup. I'm going to keep it this
> way.
>
> I just downloaded two long videos with no problems.

It really irked me when YouTube upped the number of ads they were
showing, so I recently started giving them $10.99/mo for no ads.
They say they still need to pay the creators, so it seems fair enough.
98% of what I stream is from their platform, so that's my new "cable
bill". Of course, they have a lot of content which is advertising in
disguise, but you watch that stuff by choice. Not seeing the ads is
better for my health! : ) If I log out of YouTube and start a video, I
quickly realize I made a good choice when the ad starts playing. YMMV.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<sln3ep$jta$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55245&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55245

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:55:58 -0000
 by: NY - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:55 UTC

"konda" <kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when
> you use YouTube-DL software?

I sometimes use WinX Youtube Downloader and I noticed it was throttling to
about 0.04% of 1 Gbps or 400 bits/second.

But they have produced a new update to the program (V5.9 rather than V5.8
which I had before) which fixes this - until Youtube find a way round it.

It is a confounded nuisance that Youtube don't provide a way of people
watching videos offline and saving them in case they get taken down.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<311020211759426150%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55247&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55247

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 17:59:42 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:59 UTC

In article <sln3ep$jta$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> It is a confounded nuisance that Youtube don't provide a way of people
> watching videos offline and saving them in case they get taken down.

there is no confusion. it's a violation of their terms of service.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<sln7fq$hqn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55249&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55249

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:03:55 -0400
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:03 UTC

"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote

| It is a confounded nuisance that Youtube don't provide a way of people
| watching videos offline and saving them in case they get taken down.

It's by design, not only to show ads but also to make the videos
themselves into ads. For example, SNL seems to post outtakes
from their show to get the gossip mill going, but then they take
them down later and they can only be seen on their netwrok website.
NBC, ABC, or whatever it is.

Re: Youtube-DL - Youtube has started throttling the download of videos!!

<sln9om$v1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55250&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55250

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
videos!!
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:44:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 23:44 UTC

On 10/31/2021 5:55 PM, NY wrote:
> "konda" <kondalavanya335@gmail.com> wrote in message news:slhd8k$1937$1@gioia.aioe.org...
>> Have you noticed that youtube has started throttling the downloads when you use YouTube-DL software?
>
> I sometimes use WinX Youtube Downloader and I noticed it was throttling to about 0.04% of 1 Gbps or 400 bits/second.
>
> But they have produced a new update to the program (V5.9 rather than V5.8 which I had before) which fixes this - until Youtube find a way round it.
>
> It is a confounded nuisance that Youtube don't provide a way of people watching videos offline and saving them in case they get taken down.

The YTDL version doesn't necessarily have the Google adverts in it.
That's a loss of "revenue".

As for the method, the download tools can do:

Byte range
0-100000 \
100000-200000 \
200000-300000 \
300000-400000 \___ The downloader can open seven connections, and even if
400000-500000 / a connection is limited, this way they get 7x the limit.
500000-600000 /
600000-700000 / Servers can limit the number of connections as well
as the bandwidth per connection.

If John and Mary are in the same house, and using Youtube at the
same time, the IP address of the requests is the same for both of them.
The server then, has a problem in that, if it is "careless", either John
or Mary might not get the service they expected.

If each client is carefully labeled enough, then the server might be
able to police John and Mary to one connection each (such as might
be used by the video player). But even their video player might
use byte ranges, so the mode likely still exists.

There are a few degrees of freedom to the problem, of policing
without screwing up the service. But if done right, then all
those users out there get to enjoy endless Grammerly adverts :-)

Worst case, a YTDL should still be able to capture at 1X.
So a 60 minute movie, takes 60 minutes to capture.
That's the ideal state from Googles perspective, even
if the adverts aren't mixed in.

They can't practically mux the adverts into the vid,
because that takes work. It's easier (especially on my news sites
here), to play the advert as a separate video, so you can rotate them
willy-nilly and a client sees the same advert less often. That's if
they have enough adverts to serve. Most users are sad pandas, if
the same stinking Grammerly advert plays over and over again.

Paul