From: no_re...@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Hddetemp, now available as RPM
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:45:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:45 UTC

Hi all,

a few weeks ago I mentioned that I created an easy-to-use alternative to
hddtemp. It's called hddetemp and is also capable of interacting with
external drives. Hddetemp does not need a drive "database" since it finds
the required values by itself.

So, I had been asked if I could provide this as RPM also to minimize the
effort of installation.

Answer now: Yes, I have. There are two RPMs, a binary (NoArch for all
platforms), as well as source. You can get it from here:

https://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/developer/release/hddetemp

See description in the RPM (rpm -qi hddetemp) regarding group for sudo.

Hope, this little package is helpful for your work.

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: Hddetemp, now available as RPM

<op.1175c5nna3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5529&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5529

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Subject: Re: Hddetemp, now available as RPM
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:18:31 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 20:18 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:45:04 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> a few weeks ago I mentioned that I created an easy-to-use alternative to
> hddtemp. It's called hddetemp and is also capable of interacting with
> external drives. Hddetemp does not need a drive "database" since it finds
> the required values by itself.
>
> So, I had been asked if I could provide this as RPM also to minimize the
> effort of installation.
>
> Answer now: Yes, I have. There are two RPMs, a binary (NoArch for all
> platforms), as well as source. You can get it from here:
>
> https://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/developer/release/hddetemp
>
> See description in the RPM (rpm -qi hddetemp) regarding group for sudo.
>
> Hope, this little package is helpful for your work.

Please do not distribute rpm packages with .mga# in the package names. They
can lead to extra difficulty and time required when debugging other issues,
especially upgrades.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: Hddetemp, now available as RPM

<tvg3i9$qr3h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5531&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5531

From: no_re...@dipl-ing-kessler.de (Markus Robert Kessler)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:38:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Markus Robert Kessle - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:38 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:18:31 -0400 David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:45:04 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler
> <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> a few weeks ago I mentioned that I created an easy-to-use alternative
>> to hddtemp. It's called hddetemp and is also capable of interacting
>> with external drives. Hddetemp does not need a drive "database" since
>> it finds the required values by itself.
>>
>> So, I had been asked if I could provide this as RPM also to minimize
>> the effort of installation.
>>
>> Answer now: Yes, I have. There are two RPMs, a binary (NoArch for all
>> platforms), as well as source. You can get it from here:
>>
>> https://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/developer/release/hddetemp
>>
>> See description in the RPM (rpm -qi hddetemp) regarding group for sudo.
>>
>> Hope, this little package is helpful for your work.
>
> Please do not distribute rpm packages with .mga# in the package names.
> They can lead to extra difficulty and time required when debugging other
> issues,
> especially upgrades.

MGA is indeed the target platform, and this is automatically written into
the header by rpmbuild. You have to choose your platform when starting
developing a rpm project. In this case it's MGA. Yes.

Besides this, this is a totally new project, not related to any other
existing package, for which this could be misinterpreted as "upgrade".

B.t.w., have you seen what's going on regarding vpnc?
During the last several years nothing was fixed, and I found out, that
connections to AVM routers still do not work at all.
No remote connection possible.
So, I wrote a bug report against MGA9 and it has been declined with cause
"duplicate" (!). Even a vpnc SRPM, which I adapted from SuSE and provided
to MGA a few years ago -- it's working like a charm -- was finally
dropped.
Here also, I have a working version on my webserver. And download
statistics show, that this is important.

Though, it would be more convenient if in the "official" repo everything
would be OK and nothing to do from user side...

Dave, can you intervene in case of vpnc? -- Thanks!

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: Hddetemp, now available as RPM

<op.118iltbla3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5532&group=alt.os.linux.mageia#5532

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mageia
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 21:04:31 -0400
 by: David W. Hodgins - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 01:04 UTC

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:38:49 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 16:18:31 -0400 David W. Hodgins wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Mar 2023 15:45:04 -0400, Markus Robert Kessler
>> <no_reply@dipl-ing-kessler.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> a few weeks ago I mentioned that I created an easy-to-use alternative
>>> to hddtemp. It's called hddetemp and is also capable of interacting
>>> with external drives. Hddetemp does not need a drive "database" since
>>> it finds the required values by itself.
>>>
>>> So, I had been asked if I could provide this as RPM also to minimize
>>> the effort of installation.
>>>
>>> Answer now: Yes, I have. There are two RPMs, a binary (NoArch for all
>>> platforms), as well as source. You can get it from here:
>>>
>>> https://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/developer/release/hddetemp
>>>
>>> See description in the RPM (rpm -qi hddetemp) regarding group for sudo.
>>>
>>> Hope, this little package is helpful for your work.
>>
>> Please do not distribute rpm packages with .mga# in the package names.
>> They can lead to extra difficulty and time required when debugging other
>> issues,
>> especially upgrades.
>
> MGA is indeed the target platform, and this is automatically written into
> the header by rpmbuild. You have to choose your platform when starting
> developing a rpm project. In this case it's MGA. Yes.
>
> Besides this, this is a totally new project, not related to any other
> existing package, for which this could be misinterpreted as "upgrade".
>
> B.t.w., have you seen what's going on regarding vpnc?
> During the last several years nothing was fixed, and I found out, that
> connections to AVM routers still do not work at all.
> No remote connection possible.
> So, I wrote a bug report against MGA9 and it has been declined with cause
> "duplicate" (!). Even a vpnc SRPM, which I adapted from SuSE and provided
> to MGA a few years ago -- it's working like a charm -- was finally
> dropped.
> Here also, I have a working version on my webserver. And download
> statistics show, that this is important.
>
> Though, it would be more convenient if in the "official" repo everything
> would be OK and nothing to do from user side...
>
> Dave, can you intervene in case of vpnc? -- Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Markus

Even if the packages are being built for use in Mageia, if they are not being
maintained and distributed by Mageia packagers in the Mageia build system, they
shouldn't have .mga8 or other mageia release suffixes.

We've encountered problems with packages like that in the past, with bugsquad,
packagers, and qa people spending time debugging complicated upgrade problems
that were caused by file conflicts between the Mageia packages and the third
party packages. It can take quite a bit of time to figure out, from the few
people who are good at debugging upgrade problems.

Please edit the ~/.rpmmacros file to specify a different distribution suffix
such as .mrk, so it's clear in bug reports or upgrade logs that it isn't a
part of the Mageia distribution. That won't stop them from being installable
on a Mageia system, but will make it easier to id as a package that isn't from
Mageia.

Looking at vpnc, it does not have a dedicated maintainer, so any bug reports for
it go to all packages, any one of whom is free to choose to work on it or not.
In the case of a package that requires specific hardware, it's unlikely to get
maintained unless there is a packager who has that hardware.
https://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/vpnc/releases/0.5.3/ shows it hasn't
been changed other then the distsuffix since it was imported from Mandriva for
Mageia 1. Looks like each bug report for it was closed as old as the release the
bug report was for reached end of support.

If you have the skills to create packages best way to get it updated would be to
become a packager, even if it's only for a few packages.

Regards, Dave Hodgins