"Marriage is low down, but you spend the rest of your life paying for it." -- Baskins

computers / alt.windows7.general / What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

SubjectAuthor
* What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?gfretwell
+- Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?David LaRue
+- Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7Paul
+* Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?Newyana2
|`* Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?gfretwell
| +- Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7Paul
| `- Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?DanS
`- Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7Michael Trew

1
What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<do37sh5gu79v3m0qgr4mlhujdru0phsfkl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5533&group=alt.windows7.general#5533

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 00:31:39 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 05:31 UTC

Basically move all the software. The new host already has the OS
loaded.
Is it easier to clone the old drive into the new system and deal with
the drivers or just try to move all the software. Unfortunately I
don't have all the install disks.

Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<XnsAF8D1D6B6922Bhueydlltampabayrrcom@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5535&group=alt.windows7.general#5535

From: huey....@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 07:53:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 07:53 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com wrote in news:do37sh5gu79v3m0qgr4mlhujdru0phsfkl@4ax.com:

> Basically move all the software. The new host already has the OS
> loaded.
> Is it easier to clone the old drive into the new system and deal with
> the drivers or just try to move all the software. Unfortunately I
> don't have all the install disks.

You will copy parts of the old system and move it to the new system.
Installed programs will first need to be installed on the new system. You
likely know where the data directories are and can copy those as needed.
Then you need to find your user directories on the old and new sytems.
Those need to be copied over to the new system. It is best to keep the old
system around for a while in case you find missing pockets of information.
I'm sure there is an online set of directions for what you want to do.

Good luck,

David

Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<tq0v3e$2bvsf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5537&group=alt.windows7.general#5537

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7
machine?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:29:19 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:29 UTC

On 1/15/2023 12:31 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> Basically move all the software. The new host already has the OS
> loaded.
> Is it easier to clone the old drive into the new system and deal with
> the drivers or just try to move all the software. Unfortunately I
> don't have all the install disks.

This method is expensive.

The free SKU is useless, because it does not move Programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplink_PCmover

The Easeus free tool, just lists what it would have moved, rather
than moving anything.

The ZInstall, I don't have any info.

They are all likely to cost *$50 per single usage!".

*******

You could try cloning the drive, and popping the clone into
the new system.

What are the issues with using a clone ?

1) Disk driver has to match. If the old machine was set to AHCI,
the new system should be set to AHCI. Then the in-box MSAHCI driver
could run both.

I haven't tried bringing up a Win7 in Safe Mode, to see if it will
switch disk drivers on its own (like from MSIDE to MSAHCI). There are
some Registry settings, to tell the OS to try enumerating the disk again.
I do not know of an effective search term for this, but I have
tested this method (using Registry). Each OS has different details
regarding this issue, and the following is only one of them and I'm not
sure which OS this was for even...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide\Start <== 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci\Start <== 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start <== 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Start <== 0

You will get an "Inaccessible Boot Volume" STOP code if the driver
issue is not resolved to the satisfaction of the OS.

In a bounce-install, you place a Promise Ultra133 in the source machine,
add a disk driver for it, then move the cable of the hard drive to the
new card, boot at least once on the Promise card. Then move the Promise
card to the destination machine, bring over a clone of the drive, and then
you know the necessary driver is present. It's a kind of "Bring Your Own Hardware"
approach. It does not need to be the exact Promise card, as you could
use a VIA SATA card in the same manner. I used to move Win2K around here,
using this method.

2) Response to license key issue. I've had systems freeze, rather than
give a grace period. A grace period could be 0 hours, 72 hours, or
30 days.

Paul

Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<tq0vrn$2c2bj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5538&group=alt.windows7.general#5538

From: Newya...@invalid.nospam (Newyana2)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:42:09 -0500
 by: Newyana2 - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:42 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote

| Basically move all the software. The new host already has the OS
| loaded.
| Is it easier to clone the old drive into the new system and deal with
| the drivers or just try to move all the software. Unfortunately I
| don't have all the install disks.

I've used disk image backup for many years. I keep copies
of a fresh system with software installed and configured. Putting
it on a new machine is easier if you remove the main drivers,
such as graphics, before moving. Then it's mostly just a hassle
of swatting down messages that say, "New hardware discovered."

The problem for you is that you don't have a fresh system.
So normally, if it were me, I'd start fresh and make a disk image
this time. But if you have software you can't bear to lose then
there might not be much choice. You could also do both and
multi-boot the new machine. (Personally I use BootIt for all
of this.)

Also, remember that Home version won't be able to move. MS
claim it's only licensed to a specific machine.

Years ago there were good programs for moving things. Quarterdeck
Clean Sweep could move things like Photoshop and store them in
transportable files. Typically it did that by studying the uninstaller.
Over the years, software design has become more complicated and
companies don't want you to be able to move it. Symantec bought
Clean Sweep and reduced it to a junk backup program.

Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<t9p9shl3dt4lhd9fe1isk1sl94ujlqjju3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5540&group=alt.windows7.general#5540

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:58:13 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 05:58 UTC

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:42:09 -0500, "Newyana2"
<Newyana2@invalid.nospam> wrote:

><gfretwell@aol.com> wrote
>
>| Basically move all the software. The new host already has the OS
>| loaded.
>| Is it easier to clone the old drive into the new system and deal with
>| the drivers or just try to move all the software. Unfortunately I
>| don't have all the install disks.
>
> I've used disk image backup for many years. I keep copies
>of a fresh system with software installed and configured. Putting
>it on a new machine is easier if you remove the main drivers,
>such as graphics, before moving. Then it's mostly just a hassle
>of swatting down messages that say, "New hardware discovered."
>
> The problem for you is that you don't have a fresh system.
>So normally, if it were me, I'd start fresh and make a disk image
>this time. But if you have software you can't bear to lose then
>there might not be much choice. You could also do both and
>multi-boot the new machine. (Personally I use BootIt for all
>of this.)
>
> Also, remember that Home version won't be able to move. MS
>claim it's only licensed to a specific machine.
>
> Years ago there were good programs for moving things. Quarterdeck
>Clean Sweep could move things like Photoshop and store them in
>transportable files. Typically it did that by studying the uninstaller.
>Over the years, software design has become more complicated and
>companies don't want you to be able to move it. Symantec bought
>Clean Sweep and reduced it to a junk backup program.

Thanks y'all.
Paul, on your advice I used PCMover to get from XP to this machine but
you are right, more like $60.
I am thinking I am just going to reload all the stuff I use all the
time and see what I miss. I know I have some video software I bought
but I am not in love with any of it. I will load my audio stuff. I
have the disks for that. Maybe I can live without some of the junk on
this machine. I will keep it as a backup and to go do something I
forgot I needed to do. I am only talking about my C: and software. My
data is on other drives.
I think I may be looking for a good SATA card with 4 ports that
supports 2 RAID 1 arrays.

Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<tq5g89$1ot$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5543&group=alt.windows7.general#5543

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
machine?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 01:46:34 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 06:46 UTC

On 1/16/2023 12:58 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:42:09 -0500, "Newyana2"
> <Newyana2@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>
>> <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote
>>
>> | Basically move all the software. The new host already has the OS
>> | loaded.
>> | Is it easier to clone the old drive into the new system and deal with
>> | the drivers or just try to move all the software. Unfortunately I
>> | don't have all the install disks.
>>
>> I've used disk image backup for many years. I keep copies
>> of a fresh system with software installed and configured. Putting
>> it on a new machine is easier if you remove the main drivers,
>> such as graphics, before moving. Then it's mostly just a hassle
>> of swatting down messages that say, "New hardware discovered."
>>
>> The problem for you is that you don't have a fresh system.
>> So normally, if it were me, I'd start fresh and make a disk image
>> this time. But if you have software you can't bear to lose then
>> there might not be much choice. You could also do both and
>> multi-boot the new machine. (Personally I use BootIt for all
>> of this.)
>>
>> Also, remember that Home version won't be able to move. MS
>> claim it's only licensed to a specific machine.
>>
>> Years ago there were good programs for moving things. Quarterdeck
>> Clean Sweep could move things like Photoshop and store them in
>> transportable files. Typically it did that by studying the uninstaller.
>> Over the years, software design has become more complicated and
>> companies don't want you to be able to move it. Symantec bought
>> Clean Sweep and reduced it to a junk backup program.
>>
> Thanks y'all.
> Paul, on your advice I used PCMover to get from XP to this machine but
> you are right, more like $60.
> I am thinking I am just going to reload all the stuff I use all the
> time and see what I miss. I know I have some video software I bought
> but I am not in love with any of it. I will load my audio stuff. I
> have the disks for that. Maybe I can live without some of the junk on
> this machine. I will keep it as a backup and to go do something I
> forgot I needed to do. I am only talking about my C: and software. My
> data is on other drives.
> I think I may be looking for a good SATA card with 4 ports that
> supports 2 RAID 1 arrays.

To spot a RAID card, you would look for something that supports
RAID 5 or RAID 6 and has a chip with a heatsink. This implies the
chip has XOR capability for RAID5. That is a sign the silicon was
actually designed for RAID. The RAID management software, also needs
to have "merit", so you want to find a review of the RAID management
interface, to see if it does rebuilds on the fly, alerts you promptly
on a degrade, is not constantly causing degrades because of intolerance
and so on.

This one for example, isn't a real RAID card.

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pexsat34rh

That is a chip with four SATA channels on it, and not much more.
There is no cache RAM, no XOR for RAID 5. Why the heatsink ?
Appearances maybe ?

The driver plus the RAID management software ("softRAID") on a simple
SATA controller chip design, does all the work. Then you are dependent
on that software for a good result. Buying that card, is not much better
than having an Intel ICH10R and using the Intel softRAID software (RST).

But RAID cards that claim RAID 5 or better support, and have
cache RAM as well as the XOR capability, at least some of the
RAID features come from the silicon and justify the price.

Some RAID cards have a DIMM slot for their cache. Download the
manual and see what size they support for that.

Some of the RAID cards could have battery backing, and that
could be to preserve DIMM contents until they can be written out
to the drives. If the power goes off suddenly, a RAID with
battery backing can finish the writes, when the system comes
back up.

When you stick RAID on a computer, using a UPS on the computer will
help reduce nuisance degrades and "unmatched mirrors". I would not
run a RAID card here on a daily driver, without a UPS and the
"orderly shutdown cable" connected :-) When a computer does an
orderly shutdown, the flush() is sent and any DIMM is flushed to disk.
You don't need a battery on a RAID card, if the computer puts
away its toys properly (always). If your machine has a lot of STOP
errors, those are going to hurt your RAID integrity. Battery backing
might help in that case (restored sanity on reboot).

To give an example of what a softRAID setup can do to you, someone
was using a SIL3112, lost one drive, and the other drive in the mirror
had not had writes done to it for three months. This meant the user
had gone to all the trouble of setting up a mirror, and it had not
been mirroring for three months. We expect better of real RAID cards!
A RAID is not a backup. You still need backups of your Mirror. For you
might be using a SIL3112 :-) How things like this can happen, without
a Notification in the tray, I haven't a clue. Not all softRAID softwares
have a bad reputation, but you still must evaluate where the reliability
comes from on these things.

Given a proper design, using a RAID might even be "worth it".

Paul

Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<tq70am$3clpl$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5544&group=alt.windows7.general#5544

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
machine?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 15:27:05 -0500
 by: Michael Trew - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 20:27 UTC

On 1/15/2023 0:31, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> Basically move all the software. The new host already has the OS
> loaded.
> Is it easier to clone the old drive into the new system and deal with
> the drivers or just try to move all the software. Unfortunately I
> don't have all the install disks.

I would think that cloning the system would be the easiest way, but it's
going to get messy.

It is a pain, but I would start fresh if I were you. Sometimes, stuff
buggered up in the old machine is just worth throwing out and starting
fresh. W7 install disks are cheap on eBay. I have a circa 2015 install
now that is really getting messy, and I need to plan to pull out
personal data to save, and wipe/reinstall the rest. I dread finding all
of my software disks again, hence my delay.

Re: What is the easy way to move a windows 7 system to another w7 machine?

<XnsAF91AE0B7A06Dthisnthatroadrunnern@69.80.101.21>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5553&group=alt.windows7.general#5553

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 22:06:35 +0000
 by: DanS - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 22:06 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com wrote in

<SNIP>

> I am thinking I am just going to reload all the stuff I use
> all the time and see what I miss. I know I have some video
> software I bought but I am not in love with any of it. I
> will load my audio stuff. I have the disks for that. Maybe
> I can live without some of the junk on this machine. I will
> keep it as a backup and to go do something I forgot I
> needed to do. I am only talking about my C: and software.
> My data is on other drives.

Whenever I upgraded my PC hardware, I always started off with a clean install, and then
only installed the programs I know I'll use very frequently. Then I'd install other apps as I
found I needed them.