This is an unauthorized cybernetic announcement.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: What fighting game do you recommend?

SubjectAuthor
* What fighting game do you recommend?PW
+- Re: What fighting game do you recommend?Idaho Homo Joe
+* Re: What fighting game do you recommend?Spalls Hurgenson
|`- Re: What fighting game do you recommend?Justisaur
+* Re: What fighting game do you recommend?rms
|`- Re: What fighting game do you recommend?PW
`- Re: What fighting game do you recommend?PW

1
What fighting game do you recommend?

<o2elrg189pf2emgucb8nehsohvkep7q9mq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5376&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5376

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: What fighting game do you recommend?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:55:15 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 03:55 UTC

Hi,

It is one genre that I do not have. I used to like them many, many
years ago. I have been thinking about getting one recently for some
reason!

-pw

Re: What fighting game do you recommend?

<spf9fd$1l45$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5378&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5378

From: dick_l...@aol.com (Idaho Homo Joe)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: What fighting game do you recommend?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 06:55:25 -0500
 by: Idaho Homo Joe - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 11:55 UTC

Just for you, Pissy Whiner, I recommend
"Barbie Cunts & Girlscout Pillow Fighters"

Re: What fighting game do you recommend?

<0itmrglnqa9nbf5bg6e9hoabgieub8mslc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5381&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5381

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:38:08 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:38 UTC

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:55:15 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>Hi,

>It is one genre that I do not have. I used to like them many, many
>years ago. I have been thinking about getting one recently for some
>reason!

I'm not really into that genre and never have been; when it comes to
fighters, I'm a fly-by-night dilettante who never experiences more
than the superficial aspects of a game. Thus, if you ignore my advice,
I'll quite understand.

That said, I rather liked "Mortal Kombat X", although my appreciation
had more to do with its production values rather than any deep
understanding of its mechanics. Basically, I enjoyed it because it's a
very pretty game and I liked its gory fatalities. Still, it has great
reviews and it's fairly inexpensive (what with it being a six-year old
game and its sequel being out already) so it's probably a good place
to start. I haven't played MK11 yet, so no opinion on that one, but I
doubt it would be any different: nice graphics, bloody deaths and who
am I to judge how well it plays?

I also rather enjoyed the "Injustice" games too, but that more because
I enjoyed the storyline and characters than anything about the game.
Still, watching Superman punch somebody into low Earth orbit was
always fun. Too many of its fights - at least in single-player -
included 'quick time event' segments that interrupted the usual
punching 'n' kicking, which did mar the overall experience.

The Street Fighter games remain perennial classics and are equally
well-reviewed, but I cooled on the entire franchise back when Capcom
milked the series with its endless "Street Fighter II" variations, and
I've never really warmed up to them since. So I can't recommend that
one, but it seems rather popular.

Re: What fighting game do you recommend?

<spftvj$sre$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5382&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5382

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:45:22 -0700
 by: rms - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:45 UTC

One Must Fall 2097 is the only one I've played the demo for back in the day
:)
Most of this genre seems to require very fast reflexes and memorizing
complex combo moves, and I imagine are most fun if you have the specialized
arcade cabinet button/stick setup (was it Werner here who designed and built
his own?)
If I was to try one, it would likely be the DC superhero one Injustice, as I
know it has a story of sorts, so hyper-proficiency at the mechanics perhaps
isn't as paramount. I've heard of the Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter games
but just by reputation.

rms

Re: What fighting game do you recommend?

<mq3orgtgcmp3h1tmsisn1pafk3vg1ib40u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5388&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5388

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 21:18:44 -0700
 by: PW - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 04:18 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 10:45:22 -0700, "rms"
<rsquiresMOO@MOOflashMOO.net> wrote:

>One Must Fall 2097 is the only one I've played the demo for back in the day
>:)
>Most of this genre seems to require very fast reflexes and memorizing
>complex combo moves, and I imagine are most fun if you have the specialized
>arcade cabinet button/stick setup (was it Werner here who designed and built
>his own?)
>If I was to try one, it would likely be the DC superhero one Injustice, as I
>know it has a story of sorts, so hyper-proficiency at the mechanics perhaps
>isn't as paramount. I've heard of the Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter games
>but just by reputation.
>
>rms

*---

Maybe I will just forget about my thought. " require very fast
reflexes and memorizing
>complex combo moves, and I imagine are most fun if you have the specialized
>arcade cabinet button/st"

I don't think I have that in me any more. Maybe the last time I
played one of these things was in the arcades!

Thanks both of you.

-pw

Re: What fighting game do you recommend?

<69e7ab97-1132-4825-b3c9-064e81d3bea9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5389&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5389

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 07:46:47 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:46 UTC

On Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 9:38:24 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:55:15 -0700, PW
> <iamnotusing...@notinuse.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
>
> >It is one genre that I do not have. I used to like them many, many
> >years ago. I have been thinking about getting one recently for some
> >reason!
> I'm not really into that genre and never have been; when it comes to
> fighters, I'm a fly-by-night dilettante who never experiences more
> than the superficial aspects of a game. Thus, if you ignore my advice,
> I'll quite understand.
>
> That said, I rather liked "Mortal Kombat X", although my appreciation
> had more to do with its production values rather than any deep
> understanding of its mechanics. Basically, I enjoyed it because it's a
> very pretty game and I liked its gory fatalities. Still, it has great
> reviews and it's fairly inexpensive (what with it being a six-year old
> game and its sequel being out already) so it's probably a good place
> to start. I haven't played MK11 yet, so no opinion on that one, but I
> doubt it would be any different: nice graphics, bloody deaths and who
> am I to judge how well it plays?
>
> I also rather enjoyed the "Injustice" games too, but that more because
> I enjoyed the storyline and characters than anything about the game.
> Still, watching Superman punch somebody into low Earth orbit was
> always fun. Too many of its fights - at least in single-player -
> included 'quick time event' segments that interrupted the usual
> punching 'n' kicking, which did mar the overall experience.
>
> The Street Fighter games remain perennial classics and are equally
> well-reviewed, but I cooled on the entire franchise back when Capcom
> milked the series with its endless "Street Fighter II" variations, and
> I've never really warmed up to them since. So I can't recommend that
> one, but it seems rather popular.

I was a pro at Street Fighter II in the arcade, I used to beat almost all
comers in the arcade with my weapon of choice - Chun Li and could
often beat the game on one quarter. I've played occasionally with
MAME, but probably a combination of emulation not being perfect,
my old reflexes and the lack of an arcade joystick which is too
expensive for me to justify for one old game or a few newer ones
that aren't my cuppa any more.

I agree on all the SFII variations, they just didn't work for me.

I liked Mortal Combat, but I never got very good at it, and was even
worse on every other one.

I tried Injustice, and I agree there too, the story is cool, but most of the
combos may actually be impossible to pull off without an arcade
joystick & buttons. You can set the difficulty so you can get through it
without the combos at least and make it as easy as you want, so much
so that my young daughter who was really bad at games at the time
was able to beat the AI opponents. I'd recommend it for dipping your
toe in.

- Justisaur

Re: What fighting game do you recommend?

<tikcsglrs0sulr5h60ovo1d3oojjc8vdr2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5535&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5535

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 16:06:44 -0700
 by: PW - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:06 UTC

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:55:15 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It is one genre that I do not have. I used to like them many, many
>years ago. I have been thinking about getting one recently for some
>reason!
>
>-pw

*--

I just bought Tekken 7 for $6 during the Steam sale. What the heck.

-pw