"But what we need to know is, do people want nasally-insertable computers?"

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

SubjectAuthor
* Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptopjaugustine
+- Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 LaptopVanguardLH
`* Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 LaptopPaul
 `* Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptoplew
  `* Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptopjaugustine
   `* Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptopjaugustine
    `* Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 LaptopVanguardLH
     `- Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 LaptopPaul

1
Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<k2jtng58kpov3jvt0vaj9v8nm6pldlei01@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55239&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55239

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 12:19:18 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 17:19 UTC

Hi,

I normally use (other PCs) Windows 7, XP, 98, and Linux AntiX 19.4.

Last year I bought a used Dell Inspiron 1520 (2008 mfg) laptop.
It has Windows 10 installed on it.

FYI: Win 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.

When I turn on my Samsung Galaxy (Android) tablet and connect
it to this Win 10 laptop via USB, I hear a sound on this laptop. I
"Allow" (on my tablet) the connection, but I can NOT find this device
icon anywhere on this laptop!!!! Note: It "Shows" on my Windows 7 PC in
"Computer".

Is this tablet device "blocked" by Windows Defender?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<1j8e6nbdn7qse.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55241&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55241

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 13:18:02 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 18:18 UTC

<jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote:

> I normally use (other PCs) Windows 7, XP, 98, and Linux AntiX 19.4.
>
> Last year I bought a used Dell Inspiron 1520 (2008 mfg) laptop.
> It has Windows 10 installed on it.
>
> FYI: Win 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.
>
> When I turn on my Samsung Galaxy (Android) tablet and connect
> it to this Win 10 laptop via USB, I hear a sound on this laptop. I
> "Allow" (on my tablet) the connection, but I can NOT find this device
> icon anywhere on this laptop!!!! Note: It "Shows" on my Windows 7 PC in
> "Computer".

No mention of which Samsung tablet you have. They make more than one.
So, I could do a general search on "galaxy tablet mtp". I already
suspect the problem was with the protocol for the connection.

https://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab/how-to-configure-the-usb-connection-on-your-samsung-galaxy-tab-s/
https://devices.vodafone.com.au/samsung/galaxy-tab-a/change-settings/transfer-files-between-computer-and-tablet/

Check you are using MTP on the Samsung tablet. The laptop is seeing the
tablet, because you said the laptop presented some dialog where you
selected "Allow". You can also configure using MTP (Media Transfer
Protocol) on the tablet; see:

https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/115002555705-Transfer-files-from-a-PC-to-your-Android-tablet-by-USB
See section "If the tablet is not recognised by your PC"

Also, instead of a drive letter, the tablet may appear on the laptop as
a named device; see:

https://skp.samsungcsportal.com/upload/namo/FAQ/au/20161028/images/000001/View30.png

Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<sln0ng$v6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55243&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55243

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 17:09:54 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 21:09 UTC

On 10/31/2021 1:19 PM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I normally use (other PCs) Windows 7, XP, 98, and Linux AntiX 19.4.
>
> Last year I bought a used Dell Inspiron 1520 (2008 mfg) laptop.
> It has Windows 10 installed on it.
>
> FYI: Win 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.
>
> When I turn on my Samsung Galaxy (Android) tablet and connect
> it to this Win 10 laptop via USB, I hear a sound on this laptop. I
> "Allow" (on my tablet) the connection, but I can NOT find this device
> icon anywhere on this laptop!!!! Note: It "Shows" on my Windows 7 PC in
> "Computer".
>
> Is this tablet device "blocked" by Windows Defender?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

You can have a look at the config space, when the USB device connects,
with Uwe's tool.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

I don't have any mobile devices here suitable for testing,
so I can't take demo pictures of an MTP.

I don't see MTP listed here.

https://www.usb.org/defined-class-codes

I didn't see anything I liked here.

https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/MTPv1_1.zip

This has an example. It doesn't appear to have been given its
own Class Code. Yet we know that MTP piggybacks off PTP, and
then needs some additional poking for detection. The four values
shown here, aren't showing the PTP 6 value. The first one
should have been 6, instead of 255.

https://elinux.org/images/8/85/Media_Transfer_Protocol.pdf

bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class 0x06 ?
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass 0x01 ?
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 4 MTP

"- According to the spec, MTP should be use the PTP
device class (0x06) with Interface subclass 0x01
- Yet nobody does, let me guess: Windows does not
support this
- Instead you must:
(1) attempt to get device descriptor 0xEE, if this contains
the magic letters “MSFT” you send
(2) a special control message which then returns another
set of magic bytes containing the string “MTP” and then
(3) a second control message which usually return the
same thing again
- If any of these mismatch, the device is not MTP
"

Hmmm.

Paul

Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<slnfcp$ql8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55251&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55251

From: citrustw...@google.mailer.company.invalid (lew)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 01:20:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: lew - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 01:20 UTC

On 2021-10-31, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> On 10/31/2021 1:19 PM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I normally use (other PCs) Windows 7, XP, 98, and Linux AntiX 19.4.
>>
>> Last year I bought a used Dell Inspiron 1520 (2008 mfg) laptop.
>> It has Windows 10 installed on it.
>>
>> FYI: Win 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363.
>>
>> When I turn on my Samsung Galaxy (Android) tablet and connect
>> it to this Win 10 laptop via USB, I hear a sound on this laptop. I
>> "Allow" (on my tablet) the connection, but I can NOT find this device
>> icon anywhere on this laptop!!!! Note: It "Shows" on my Windows 7 PC in
>> "Computer".
>>
>> Is this tablet device "blocked" by Windows Defender?
>>
>> Thank You in advance, John
>
> You can have a look at the config space, when the USB device connects,
> with Uwe's tool.
>
> https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
>
> I don't have any mobile devices here suitable for testing,
> so I can't take demo pictures of an MTP.
>
> I don't see MTP listed here.
>
> https://www.usb.org/defined-class-codes
>
> I didn't see anything I liked here.
>
> https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/MTPv1_1.zip
>
> This has an example. It doesn't appear to have been given its
> own Class Code. Yet we know that MTP piggybacks off PTP, and
> then needs some additional poking for detection. The four values
> shown here, aren't showing the PTP 6 value. The first one
> should have been 6, instead of 255.
>
> https://elinux.org/images/8/85/Media_Transfer_Protocol.pdf
>
> bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class 0x06 ?
> bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass 0x01 ?
> bInterfaceProtocol 0
> iInterface 4 MTP
>
> "- According to the spec, MTP should be use the PTP
> device class (0x06) with Interface subclass 0x01
> - Yet nobody does, let me guess: Windows does not
> support this
> - Instead you must:
> (1) attempt to get device descriptor 0xEE, if this contains
> the magic letters ???MSFT??? you send
> (2) a special control message which then returns another
> set of magic bytes containing the string ???MTP??? and then
> (3) a second control message which usually return the
> same thing again
> - If any of these mismatch, the device is not MTP
> "
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Paul

There was an android version with a usb bug in that one had to
get into the developer mode and toggle the 'default' mtp on & off
to wake up whatever to have the android usb able to use mtp.

Then I've encountered a microsoft usb bug when trying to connect
to a tablet; not recognized. After a couple of days, m$ had an update
for the usb driver that made the windows usb work again; this was
a couple of years ago on win 10.

Try the mtp toggle first & double check that the usb cable is in
good condition & FULLY inserted as some cable terminals do not
go in fully due to the cable's end connect bulge/grip(?).

Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<jtgvnglpsqdfvdev3js8fk85brfd7kopqv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55252&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55252

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 05:46:52 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 10:46 UTC

>> You can have a look at the config space, when the USB device connects,
>> with Uwe's tool.
>>
>> https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html
>>
>> I don't have any mobile devices here suitable for testing,
>> so I can't take demo pictures of an MTP.
>>
>> I don't see MTP listed here.
>>
>> https://www.usb.org/defined-class-codes
>>
>> I didn't see anything I liked here.
>>
>> https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/MTPv1_1.zip
>>
>> This has an example. It doesn't appear to have been given its
>> own Class Code. Yet we know that MTP piggybacks off PTP, and
>> then needs some additional poking for detection. The four values
>> shown here, aren't showing the PTP 6 value. The first one
>> should have been 6, instead of 255.
>>
>> https://elinux.org/images/8/85/Media_Transfer_Protocol.pdf
>>
>> bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class 0x06 ?
>> bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass 0x01 ?
>> bInterfaceProtocol 0
>> iInterface 4 MTP
>>
>> "- According to the spec, MTP should be use the PTP
>> device class (0x06) with Interface subclass 0x01
>> - Yet nobody does, let me guess: Windows does not
>> support this
>> - Instead you must:
>> (1) attempt to get device descriptor 0xEE, if this contains
>> the magic letters ???MSFT??? you send
>> (2) a special control message which then returns another
>> set of magic bytes containing the string ???MTP??? and then
>> (3) a second control message which usually return the
>> same thing again
>> - If any of these mismatch, the device is not MTP
>> "
>>
>> Hmmm.
>>
>> Paul
>
>There was an android version with a usb bug in that one had to
>get into the developer mode and toggle the 'default' mtp on & off
>to wake up whatever to have the android usb able to use mtp.
>
>Then I've encountered a microsoft usb bug when trying to connect
>to a tablet; not recognized. After a couple of days, m$ had an update
>for the usb driver that made the windows usb work again; this was
>a couple of years ago on win 10.
>
>Try the mtp toggle first & double check that the usb cable is in
>good condition & FULLY inserted as some cable terminals do not
>go in fully due to the cable's end connect bulge/grip(?).

Hi,

I never performed a Windows Update since I bought this laptop (32 bit).

I intend to do that today or tomorrow. Then I will see if that fixes the
problem ("No Show").

FYI: I do NOT have this issue (using the same tablet and same cable)
with my Windows 7 laptop.

I will report back after the Update.

John

Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<ae4aogpv72a2kcft3b625mpog7n0c4icg8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55345&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55345

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 06:18:25 -0500
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 11:18 UTC

<SNIP>
>>There was an android version with a usb bug in that one had to
>>get into the developer mode and toggle the 'default' mtp on & off
>>to wake up whatever to have the android usb able to use mtp.
>>
>>Then I've encountered a microsoft usb bug when trying to connect
>>to a tablet; not recognized. After a couple of days, m$ had an update
>>for the usb driver that made the windows usb work again; this was
>>a couple of years ago on win 10.
>>
>>Try the mtp toggle first & double check that the usb cable is in
>>good condition & FULLY inserted as some cable terminals do not
>>go in fully due to the cable's end connect bulge/grip(?).
>
>Hi,
>
> I never performed a Windows Update since I bought this laptop (32 bit).
>
> I intend to do that today or tomorrow. Then I will see if that fixes the
>problem ("No Show").
>
> FYI: I do NOT have this issue (using the same tablet and same cable)
>with my Windows 7 laptop.
>
> I will report back after the Update.

UPDATE:

I was able to complete a Windows Update (had some issues at first).

Now when I connect the tablet, I SEE the tablet in "My Files" , left side
lists.
John

Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<zkamxclo0qmt$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55371&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55371

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 14:03:47 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 19:03 UTC

<jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote:

> I was able to complete a Windows Update (had some issues at first).
> Now when I connect the tablet, I SEE the tablet in "My Files" , left
> side lists.

You sure it wasn't due to a mandatory reboot after the update that
resolved your problem? (wink wink)

Re: Android Tablet, "No Show" on Windows 10 Laptop

<sm4enb$9oh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55388&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55388

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 19:28:33 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 5 Nov 2021 23:28 UTC

On 11/5/2021 3:03 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> <jaugustine@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> I was able to complete a Windows Update (had some issues at first).
>> Now when I connect the tablet, I SEE the tablet in "My Files" , left
>> side lists.
>
> You sure it wasn't due to a mandatory reboot after the update that
> resolved your problem? (wink wink)

We won't know this project is done, until
we hear some files flying across that interface.

Paul