One man's constant is another man's variable. -- A. J. Perlis

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

SubjectAuthor
* Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopWarren Siegel
+- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopknuttle
+* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopAmmammata
|`* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopAndy Burns
| `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopBig Al
|  `- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopAmmammata
+- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopEd Cryer
+* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopPaul
|+* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopWarren Siegel
||`* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopPaul
|| `- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopWarren Siegel
|`- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|+* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
||+* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopAndy Burns
|||`* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopFrank Slootweg
||| `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopAmmammata
|||  `- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopAmmammata
||`- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|`* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopThe Horny Goat
| `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|  `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|   `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|    `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|     `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|      `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|       `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopmechanic
|        `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|         +* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|         |`* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|         | +* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopPaul
|         | |`* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|         | | `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|         | |  `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|         | |   `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|         | |    `- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|         | `- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopKen Blake
|         `* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopThe Horny Goat
|          +- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopMajorLanGod
|          +- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopPaul
|          +- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopChar Jackson
|          `- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopThe Horny Goat
+* Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopWolffan
|`- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopphilo
`- Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptopLINUX LOVER

Pages:12
Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smaeop$a4g$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55431&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55431

From: warrensi...@nowhere.com (Warren Siegel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 00:06:17 -0600
 by: Warren Siegel - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 06:06 UTC

I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr (HP P/N
16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
converted to Windows 10 Home).

I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but even
so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
file compression).

I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features > Uninstall

Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
Windows.

Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
How?

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smb2sq$7gd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55439&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55439

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 06:49:44 -0500
 by: knuttle - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 11:49 UTC

On 11/8/2021 1:06 AM, Warren Siegel wrote:
> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr (HP P/N
> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
> converted to Windows 10 Home).
>
> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but even
> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
> file compression).
>
> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features > Uninstall
>
> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
> Windows.
>
> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
> How?

There are places online where they tell you how to block Windows up dates.

My Hp Stream 7 with 32GB ram, would not upgrade several versions ago.

I periodically have to go in to Windows/softwaredistribution and delete
the files as it still tries to update.

That is one point, after multiple failures to update, the
softwaredistribution folder fills up. I have literally deleted
thousands of files from that folder, which prevented the upgrade from
installing. Have you tried deleting the files in softwaredistribution?

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<XnsADDC83BEC3549ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55441&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55441

From: ammamm...@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 11:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 11:57 UTC

Il giorno Mon 08 Nov 2021 07:06:17a, *Warren Siegel* ha inviato su
alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio news:smaeop$a4g$1@news.mixmin.net.
Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?

imho not possible
the purchase of such model(s) was a mistake from the beginning, I'd run a
class action against the manufacturers for circumvention of an incapable

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smb3rd$g0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55442&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55442

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:05:35 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:05 UTC

Warren Siegel wrote:
> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr (HP P/N
> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
> converted to Windows 10 Home).
>
> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but even
> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
> file compression).
>
> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features > Uninstall
>
> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
> Windows.
>
> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
> How?

My Win10 on my desktop (fully up to date) is 28.4 GB. I have Win10 on a
32GB RAM tablet (20H2) but it's only 13GB; and works well.
What you should have is the same reduced version, but apparently you
haven't.

When I loaded Win10 on the tablet I used the standard iso file
downloaded from MS, and I presume it must have recognised that it was
dealing with a tablet.

Two options for you.
Get in touch with other owners
or
Hang around here a while. There are some very knowledgeable regulars in
this group, always eager to help.

Ed

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<iusl2nFsgkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55446&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55446

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:55:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:55 UTC

Ammammata wrote:

> Il giorno Mon 08 Nov 2021 07:06:17a, *Warren Siegel* ha inviato su
> alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio news:smaeop$a4g$1@news.mixmin.net.
> Vediamo cosa ha scritto:
>
>> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
>
> imho not possible
> the purchase of such model(s) was a mistake from the beginning

I think as shipped they used "tricks" where the actual files weren't in the
c:\windows tree to start with, but compressed in a wimboot file on the recovery
partition.

Cheap & nasty.

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smb9kf$tgj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55447&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55447

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 08:44:43 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 13:44 UTC

On 11/8/2021 1:06 AM, Warren Siegel wrote:
> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr (HP P/N
> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
> converted to Windows 10 Home).
>
> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but even
> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
> file compression).
>
> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features > Uninstall
>
> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
> Windows.
>
> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
> How?

1) Hardware spec. Doesn't even list RAM.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c06693249

Another (seller) page says 4GB.

You could reduce the pagesize setting to 300MB to 512MB range.
Make the pagesize fixed. Try Start : Run : sysdm.cpl to eliminate
part of the effort to get to the setting.

The N4000 is limited to no more than 8GB 2 channels max, by Intel.
Depending on the compactness of the design, it might use one channel
and soldered down RAM.

2) DISM capabilities varies widely between Windows versions.
Windows 10 has the most options, as compared to say Windows 7.

When you do things like this, it helps remove some of the
cached .msi and the like. The OS is quite wasteful, when it
comes to caching.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

My notes file, I did not record a "side effects" section with
the details of what gets smashed when you do that.

You could also remove all the backing files for what is in
Programs and Features, but then you could not uninstall the
programs. Some programs use "private" techniques and don't have
MSI files - say, Chrome. You could remove the 150MB Chrome ZIP file
or whatever (but since Chrome loves to update, I don't know what sort
of mess shows up the next day). That's the problem with extreme
optimization, there's always a mess later.

And no, you *cannot* delete WinSxS which is Windows Side by Side.
I tried that as an experiment, and the OS did not survive. In
theory, the OS would no longer be able to update if you did that,
but the result wasn't even that good.

Microsoft has tried various cheesy techniques to make it fit.
The users know the damn computers need more than 32GB, and
when the single chip 64GB items arrived, we thought they
would switch to those, across the board. That was wishful
thinking. The wimboot with overlay file system (any changed
file sits outside the wimboot file), that led to disaster
as the overlay file system filled up and bloated the store.
The wimboot, as far as I know, disappeared as a technique
on later versions of Windows 10. While NTFS has "new style compression",
that's not good enough compression to make the OS heroic. The
wimboot, now that was 7Z quality compression.

Microsoft even made an announcement one day, that they were
working on making it possible to build 16GB tablets. Which
considering the anguish the 32GB ones was causing, was
cheeky PR material indeed. If they shipped a 16GB tablet,
I'd just throw it straight into the landfill, unopened.
Eliminate the middle-man.

I don't like to advertise commands like the above,
without trying them at least once, but I don't know
whether any of my tests here would be valid, unless
they were done on a tablet for a realistic test. When
I do stuff in VMs, everything ends up too damn cosy
to be realistic. I don't really know what that
third command would save, on a "well used" installation.

But I have looked at the OS with the equivalent of
windirstat/sequoiaview, and there is lots of
caching going on. For example, just installing and
using Macrium, might lead to 2GB of wasted space.
And removing Macrium, might leave parts of that behind.
That's what I mean by a "well used" OS, one where
the hygiene issues build up over time.

And cleaning out SoftwareUpdate, if the OS is in a mood
to update, it will just pull all that stuff back into
the folder, if you remove it. Head-butting the OS, on
some issues, just isn't a productive usage of your time.
Like, disconnecting the network cable on a computer,
does indeed keep Windows Update out, but... what good
is a network-less computer ?

The SD cards come in several standards. For example,
on my point and shoot camera, the max SD is 32GB,
so I would expect your tablet device to take at
least 32GB. If the next-up standard is implemented,
both the speed and the max size improve, to something
like 2TB of SD. You could probably get 32GB operating
at 10MB/sec, or 32GB operating at 95MB/sec, so the
SD is not exactly awe-inspiring as storage goes. They
are working on an SD standard based on PCI Express,
so better things may be ahead for SD on the speed front.
Some day.

Paul

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smbfch$e6$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55452&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55452

From: warrensi...@nowhere.com (Warren Siegel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 09:22:57 -0600
 by: Warren Siegel - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:22 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 08:44:43 -0500, Paul wrote:

> 1) Hardware spec. Doesn't even list RAM.
>
> https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c06693249

Thank you for trying to find a max sdcard size which is an elusive spec
that I haven't been abkle to find, nor can I find yet how to shrink Win10
to the smallest size possible (but I will try what you & other suggested).

The "HP Stream Laptop 11-ak0035nr" box says on the side sticker that it has
Intel Celeron Processor N4020 [2]
32GB eMMC
4GB on-board DDR4 SDRAM
No Optical Drive
Widows 10 Home in S Mode [8][46]
11.6" HD LED DIsplay (220 nits0 [4]
2-cell 37.69Wh [63]
Microsoft 365 [60]

The fine print for [60] says it has a 1-year subscription to "Microsoft 365
Personal" and [60] also says "Activation required within 6 months of
Windows activation date."

That hardware spec also doesn't list the max size of an added second "hard
drive" of the sd card (which is pretty much required given the original C:
drive is permanently limited to 32GB on the HP Stream 11

When I installed Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003
from https://archive.org/details/Office03EDU there was an option in MS
Office for Help > About Microsoft Office > System Info which reported

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name WARREN
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Stream Laptop 11-ak0xxx
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 16V15UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4020 CPU @ 1.10GHz, 1101 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2
Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.19, 2/22/2021
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 24.15
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 85B6
BaseBoard Version 24.15
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1151"
User Name WARREN\warren
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.82 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.48 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.97 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.91 GB
Page File Space 2.15 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Not Available
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Given it is permanently locked to a C drive of 32GB one of the most
important specs is the max size of the microSD card that can be put in the
slot.

Google shows a lot of hearsay that it "might" be limited to 128GB which is
what I'll buy but it would be nice if HP listed useful specs on their
datasheets! It's almost as if they don't know what specs are important.
https://www.google.com/search?q="HP+Stream+Laptop+11-ak0035nr"+microsd+max+size
https://www.hp.com/us-en/laptops/product-details/product-specifications/37933884
HP Support 1-800-473-4732

What elese do you need to know about the machine to help me out?

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smbio3$nb7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55459&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55459

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 11:20:15 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:20 UTC

On 11/8/2021 10:22 AM, Warren Siegel wrote:

> Given it is permanently locked to a C drive of 32GB one of the most
> important specs is the max size of the microSD card that can be put in the
> slot.

Wiki can give a start at this project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

Capacity

SD: Up to 2 GB
SDHC: over 2 GB to 32 GB <=== my digital camera is SDHC
SDXC: over 32 GB to 2 TB
SDUC: over 2 TB to 128 TB

The N4000 could be a SOC (System On A Chip). I am unlikely
to wander onto exactly the right diagram by accident :-)
Again, this is an illustration of an all-in-one SOC chip.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/images/embedded/16x9/apollo-lake-diagram-transparent-16x9.png.rendition.intel.web.864.486.png

1 x SD Card 3.01

Now, *if* that was the diagram for your N4000, we would
feed that back into the Wiki page of info, giving this:

"SDXC

Secure Digital eXtended Capacity logo; the specification defines cards with a
capacity of more than 32 GB up to 2 TB

The Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) format, announced in January 2009
and defined in version 3.01 of the SD specification, supports cards up to 2 TB...
"

That's a way of tracing it from a theoretical perspective.

I don't know if Device Manager or Plug and Play provide
any way to verify this or not.

*******

OK, the block diagram here says SDXC.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Possible-block-diagram-for-Intel-Gemini-Lake-leaks-out.241424.0.html

That means you can use larger than SDXC, then also study
what I/O options it might reasonably support. Just because
something is nominally at a certain standards level, does
not mean that it implements all the I/O options (UHS I, UHS II).

https://thinkcomputers.org/intel-updates-nucs-with-gemini-lake-socs/

"SDXC with UHS-I support"

So that's what you should shop for.

"UHS-I has a bus interface speed of up to 104 MB/s."

At a guess, that's where the 95MB/sec ones come from.

As an example, this one promises 90MB/sec writes. It's a UHS-1.

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-128GB-Extreme-microSD-Adapter/dp/B07FCMKK5X

For the micro versions, you may need an adapter for a
regular SD slot. Personally, I would prefer the larger
packaging, from a strength perspective (so no adapter would
be needed).

Paul

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smbkrj$elp$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55460&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55460

From: warrensi...@nowhere.com (Warren Siegel)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:56:18 -0600
 by: Warren Siegel - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:56 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 11:20:15 -0500, Paul wrote:

> https://thinkcomputers.org/intel-updates-nucs-with-gemini-lake-socs/
>
> "SDXC with UHS-I support"
>
> So that's what you should shop for.

Thank you for finding that the "microSD" slot is most likaly SDXC which is
SDXC: over 32 GB to 2 TB

Cost will also be an imperative so I'm not going to look at the huge cards
like the 500MB ones as they will cost more than the laptop did most likely.

I think a 128GB microSD should enable the laptop to be functional again (as
long as I can keep Windows under the 32GB C drive permanent eMMC limit).

> For the micro versions, you may need an adapter for a
> regular SD slot. Personally, I would prefer the larger
> packaging, from a strength perspective (so no adapter would
> be needed).

There is only a small slot for just the microSD card.
I think it won't take a larger adapter that many microSD cards come with.

I don't have a microSD card to test it but the slot seems to be about 1/2
inch wide at the outside plastic of the laptop (probibly smaller inside).

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<iut3vaF3mphU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55462&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55462

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:10:01 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 17:10 UTC

On 11/7/2021 11:06 PM, Warren Siegel wrote:
> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr (HP P/N
> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
> converted to Windows 10 Home).

As far as I'm concerned, such a computer is a piece of junk. Nobody
should sell something like that, and if they are sold, nobody should buy
one.

32 billion may sound like a big number, but a 32GB drive is *tiny* these
days. If I had such a computer, I'd throw it away and and buy a new
computer with a much bigger drive. I never recommend anything less than
500GB for anybody, and even that is very small for many people.

You may not need as much as I have, but I have three 2TB drives in my
computer--a total of 6TB. That's almost 2,000 times as much as you have.

> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but even
> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
> file compression).
>
> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features > Uninstall
>
> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
> Windows.
>
> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
> How?

No. And if you did, the problem would return quickly. Sorry to have to
say this, but I'll repeat what I said above: you unfortunately bought a
piece of junk. Throw it away and replace it with a computer with at
least 500GB.

--
Ken

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smc2s0$aqk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55465&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55465

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 13:55:27 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:55 UTC

Paul wrote:
> Microsoft even made an announcement one day, that they were
> working on making it possible to build 16GB tablets.

Quite a few years ago...applied to Win8, initial Win10.

In 2018, development on x32/x64 on less than 32GB SSD/HD ceased.
In 2019 the made it public by announcing that the minium for Win10 was
32 GB disk capacity. Iirc, that was spring 2019 to coincide with 1903.

> I don't like to advertise commands like the above,
> without trying them at least once, but I don't know
> whether any of my tests here would be valid, unless
> they were done on a tablet for a realistic test. When
> I do stuff in VMs, everything ends up too damn cosy
> to be realistic. I don't really know what that
> third command would save, on a "well used" installation.

The size of the DISM analyzed WinXS component store on Win10 is
typically about 6-8 GB(a bit less than 6 shared, and less than 2 for
backups)
Cleanup can recover, when recommended, a few GB at most.
- I've yet to see more than 3 GB 'cleanable' since Win10 2105

Afaik, the DISM reported size for the component store(shared, backup) is
not device specific - tablets, laptops, and desktops would have similar
component store capacity for shared and backup.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smc65a$43h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55467&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55467

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:51:37 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:51 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On 11/7/2021 11:06 PM, Warren Siegel wrote:
>> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr
>> (HP P/N
>> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
>> converted to Windows 10 Home).
>

> As far as I'm concerned, such a computer is a piece of junk. Nobody
> should sell something like that, and if they are sold, nobody should buy
> one.
>
> 32 billion may sound like a big number, but a 32GB drive is *tiny* these
> days. If I had such a computer, I'd throw it away and and buy a new
> computer with a much bigger drive. I never recommend anything less than
> 500GB for anybody, and even that is very small for many people.
>
> You may not need as much as I have, but I have three 2TB drives in my
> computer--a total of 6TB. That's almost 2,000  times as much as you have.
>

>> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but
>> even
>> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
>> file compression).
>>
>> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
>> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features > Uninstall
>>
>> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
>> Windows.
>>
>> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
>> How?
>

> No. And if you did, the problem would return quickly. Sorry to have to
> say this, but I'll repeat what I said above: you unfortunately bought a
> piece of junk. Throw it away and replace it with a computer with at
> least 500GB.

Agree that devices with 32GB SSD or other disk storage media should be
avoided. On the opposite side, there are a few end-user who do nothing
but email and surf...while Windows can meet that need, so does a
mid-level Android device for a significantly lower price point.

For your 6TB of storage - How much of that is archived material that
hasn't been accessed in years, let alone no longer needed?
- my desktop has a 1TB SSD, with a 4TB internal HD(after clearing out
what was no longer of value for any purpose, it has almost 2.8 TB free
space). My 2TB WD Passport even with images of Windows and backup
necessary files and data only uses about 0.8 TB)
- my laptop has a 256 GB SSD with 1 TB internal HDD(with 60% and 77%
free space respective). It uses the the same 2TB WD for image and backup
data
- my Surface has 64 GB SSD with a 128GB SDXC card(the SSD uses 24 GB
for Windows, Acronis, iTunes, M365, and a few utilities), the SDXC has
70GB free space - mostly iTunes, Surface drivers and a few utility
programs latest install files)

From what I've seen over the last 35 yrs on Windows devices is many
archive, never access again, or never delete, just transferring it from
system to system since Win95...and unfortunately as people age and pass
on, all that storage(data, pics, musics) ends up for recycler or the
landfill).
Yes, there are folks with huge picture and music(including iTunes
collections) but the same applies - folks keep what they never use or need.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
msft mvp 2007-2020

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<iutkv1F7245U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55470&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55470

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:00:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:00 UTC

....w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:

> From what I've seen over the last 35 yrs on Windows devices is many archive,
> never access again, or never delete, just transferring it from system to system

Yep, I had several levels deep of "old C drive" folders at one point ...

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<0001HW.2739DC700312FF6A70000608E38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55472&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55472

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!backlog1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.supernews.com!news.supernews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 17:30:08 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Wolffan - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:30 UTC

On 2021 Nov 08, Warren Siegel wrote
(in article <smaeop$a4g$1@news.mixmin.net>):

> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr (HP P/N
> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
> converted to Windows 10 Home).
>
> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but even
> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
> file compression).
>
> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features> Uninstall
>
> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
> Windows.
>
> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
> How?

Quite frankly, any desktop or laptop computer which has less than 128 GB
secondary storage is effectively useless. I have about 25 GB in the Windows
folder of the nearest Win10 system. A boot drive with only 32 GB of total
space would be useless. Even my cell phones have 128.

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<iutol0F7oagU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55474&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55474

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:02:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 23:02 UTC

On 11/8/2021 2:51 PM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> On 11/7/2021 11:06 PM, Warren Siegel wrote:
>>> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr
>>> (HP P/N
>>> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
>>> converted to Windows 10 Home).
>>

>> As far as I'm concerned, such a computer is a piece of junk. Nobody
>> should sell something like that, and if they are sold, nobody should buy
>> one.
>>
>> 32 billion may sound like a big number, but a 32GB drive is *tiny* these
>> days. If I had such a computer, I'd throw it away and and buy a new
>> computer with a much bigger drive. I never recommend anything less than
>> 500GB for anybody, and even that is very small for many people.
>>
>> You may not need as much as I have, but I have three 2TB drives in my
>> computer--a total of 6TB. That's almost 2,000  times as much as you have.
>>

>>> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but
>>> even
>>> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
>>> file compression).
>>>
>>> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
>>> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features > Uninstall
>>>
>>> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
>>> Windows.
>>>
>>> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
>>> How?
>>

>> No. And if you did, the problem would return quickly. Sorry to have to
>> say this, but I'll repeat what I said above: you unfortunately bought a
>> piece of junk. Throw it away and replace it with a computer with at
>> least 500GB.
>>

> Agree that devices with 32GB SSD or other disk storage media should be
> avoided. On the opposite side, there are a few end-user who do nothing
> but email and surf...while Windows can meet that need, so does a
> mid-level Android device for a significantly lower price point.
>
> For your 6TB of storage - How much of that is archived material that
> hasn't been accessed in years, let alone no longer needed?

A fair amount.

Yes, it's more than I need. The computer has a 2TB NvME drive, and
that's actually more than enough. Almost the only reason for the other
4TB is that I had two 2TB HDs that weren't being used for anything else,
so I installed them.

Maybe some day, I'll need that much.

> - my desktop has a 1TB SSD, with a 4TB internal HD(after clearing out
> what was no longer of value for any purpose, it has almost 2.8 TB free
> space). My 2TB WD Passport even with images of Windows and backup
> necessary files and data only uses about 0.8 TB)
> - my laptop has a 256 GB SSD with 1 TB internal HDD(with 60% and 77%
> free space respective). It uses the the same 2TB WD for image and backup
> data
> - my Surface has 64 GB SSD with a 128GB SDXC card(the SSD uses 24 GB
> for Windows, Acronis, iTunes, M365, and a few utilities), the SDXC has
> 70GB free space - mostly iTunes, Surface drivers and a few utility
> programs latest install files)
>

> From what I've seen over the last 35 yrs on Windows devices is many
> archive, never access again, or never delete, just transferring it from
> system to system since Win95...and unfortunately as people age and pass
> on, all that storage(data, pics, musics) ends up for recycler or the
> landfill).
> Yes, there are folks with huge picture and music(including iTunes
> collections) but the same applies - folks keep what they never use or need.

--
Ken

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smckvf$11ud$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55475&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55475

From: linux.ru...@100.percent (LINUX LOVER)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 01:45:00 +0000
 by: LINUX LOVER - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 01:45 UTC

WHO ARE YOU TO ASK PEOPLE TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP. FUCK WITH YOUR WINDOZE.

> Can you not buy a new machine and enjoy the beauty of Windows 10
> and/or Windows 11?

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smdqss$qqt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55488&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55488

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:51:40 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:51 UTC

On 11/8/21 7:55 AM, this is what Andy Burns wrote:
> Ammammata wrote:
>
>> Il giorno Mon 08 Nov 2021 07:06:17a, *Warren Siegel* ha inviato su
>> alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio news:smaeop$a4g$1@news.mixmin.net.
>> Vediamo cosa ha scritto:
>>
>>> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
>>
>> imho not possible
>> the purchase of such model(s) was a mistake from the beginning
>
> I think as shipped they used "tricks" where the actual files weren't in the c:\windows tree to start with, but compressed in a wimboot file
> on the recovery partition.
>
> Cheap & nasty.
In which case they are not liable for a class action. If the sold machine worked then they did their job. It's the user that screwed the
pooch.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<XnsADDD8EAD5EC27ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55489&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55489

From: ammamm...@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:01:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 13:01 UTC

Il giorno Tue 09 Nov 2021 01:51:40p, *Big Al* ha inviato su
alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio news:smdqss$qqt$1@dont-email.me.
Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> It's the user that screwed the
> pooch.

:)

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<sme6ip.i40.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55495&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55495

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 9 Nov 2021 15:11:28 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 15:11 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
>
> > From what I've seen over the last 35 yrs on Windows devices is many
> > archive, never access again, or never delete, just transferring it
> > from system to system
>
> Yep, I had several levels deep of "old C drive" folders at one point ...

I have such folders on a CD. Copies of the contents of my 40MB, 170MB
and 1GB MS-DOS/Windows disks. I only kept/keep those for the data files,
mainly text, e-mail, etc..

BTW, the 40MB disk was so huge, I split it into two 20MB partitions.

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<XnsADDFB01CC6038ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55571&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55571

From: ammamm...@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:18:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:18 UTC

Il giorno Tue 09 Nov 2021 04:11:28p, *Frank Slootweg* ha inviato su
alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio news:sme6ip.i40.1@ID-
201911.user.individual.net. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> BTW, the 40MB disk was so huge, I split it into two 20MB partitions.

my first pc was an amstrad/2286 with a HUGE 40Mb hard disk :) and an
astonishing fast processor 80286 @ 12 MHz

there was plenty of RAM, 1 Mb, and a nice VGA card (one of the first
available)

unfortunately the monitor was just a 12" gray-scale...

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<XnsADDFB04802AD1ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55572&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55572

From: ammamm...@tiscalinet.it (Ammammata)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:19:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ammammata - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 16:19 UTC

Il giorno Thu 11 Nov 2021 05:18:40p, *Ammammata* ha inviato su
alt.comp.os.windows-10 il messaggio
news:XnsADDFB01CC6038ammammatatiscalineti@127.0.0.1. Vediamo cosa ha
scritto:

> my first pc was an amstrad/2286

this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_PC2286

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<smscrt$1g06$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55707&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55707

From: phi...@privacy.net (philo)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 19:24:13 -0600
 by: philo - Mon, 15 Nov 2021 01:24 UTC

On 11/8/21 4:30 PM, Wolffan wrote:
> On 2021 Nov 08, Warren Siegel wrote
> (in article <smaeop$a4g$1@news.mixmin.net>):
>
>> I deleted all that I could on my new HP Stream 11 model 11-ak0035nr (HP P/N
>> 16V15UA) came with only a 32GB soldered on C drive on Windows 10 S (since
>> converted to Windows 10 Home).
>>
>> I can't find what the max size of the second drive sd card will be but even
>> so I'm trying to shrink Windows 10 to the essentils (I already turned on
>> file compression).
>>
>> I also already ran a diskclean operation and I deleted everything that
>> Windows would let me delete in Settings > Apps & features> Uninstall
>>
>> Even so I'm stuck at about 3GB out of 28.3GB almost all of which is
>> Windows.
>>
>> Any chance I can get another 5GB or 10GB out of shrinking Windows?
>> How?
>
> Quite frankly, any desktop or laptop computer which has less than 128 GB
> secondary storage is effectively useless. I have about 25 GB in the Windows
> folder of the nearest Win10 system. A boot drive with only 32 GB of total
> space would be useless. Even my cell phones have 128.

Totally agree.

How in the heck can anyone sell a machine with a drive that small.

Anyway, to clean things up, run disk cleanup , then on the 2nd pass, opt
to delete system files.

Delete all and you should free up a decent amount.

Might also want to turn off hibernation,

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<nisqqgli0kci476u02ltt4733ll1jl49fs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56276&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56276

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 18:28:32 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 02:28 UTC

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:10:01 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
wrote:

>As far as I'm concerned, such a computer is a piece of junk. Nobody
>should sell something like that, and if they are sold, nobody should buy
>one.
>
>32 billion may sound like a big number, but a 32GB drive is *tiny* these
>days. If I had such a computer, I'd throw it away and and buy a new
>computer with a much bigger drive. I never recommend anything less than
>500GB for anybody, and even that is very small for many people.
>
>You may not need as much as I have, but I have three 2TB drives in my
>computer--a total of 6TB. That's almost 2,000 times as much as you have.

I wouldn't mind one like that if it's sufficiently portable but I'd
use it the way some use their iPads. If it were a mini-tower I'd
probably strip salvageable parts and rebuild. Or recycle. It
definitely wouldn't be my main machine in 2021.

I've got a Ryzen 8 core runnning at 3.6 mhz - it was a screamer when I
got it 2 years ago but obviously becoming less so. Am running with a 1
Tb ssd and maxed SDRAM (64 gb DDR4) For storage I've got 3 internal
drives (ported from previous machines) and 4 8Tb externals. (Mostly I
wait for sales but wasn't fast enough for Black Friday this year as
one local store was offering a 14Tb for the US$ equivalent of about
$210-215 so missed out.

My son got me a videocard last summer for an outrageously good price
that was on the Passmark list last spring (so probably no longer tops
but still pretty decent)

My SSD has never been more than 1/3 full but when it gets to 2/3 ->
3/4 full I'll look into a larger one. I've got Win 10 installed there
and am trying to minimize anything else going there but so many
packages by default go to C: (barf!)

Which as you say is hugely more than what we operated for years on
quite happily.

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<9a3rqg1dopk5ltuc7ise4q8fhap134s3hf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56278&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56278

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 22:14:01 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 04:14 UTC

On Sun, 05 Dec 2021 18:28:32 -0800, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:10:01 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
>wrote:
>

>>As far as I'm concerned, such a computer is a piece of junk. Nobody
>>should sell something like that, and if they are sold, nobody should buy
>>one.
>>
>>32 billion may sound like a big number, but a 32GB drive is *tiny* these
>>days. If I had such a computer, I'd throw it away and and buy a new
>>computer with a much bigger drive. I never recommend anything less than
>>500GB for anybody, and even that is very small for many people.
>>
>>You may not need as much as I have, but I have three 2TB drives in my
>>computer--a total of 6TB. That's almost 2,000 times as much as you have.
>
>I wouldn't mind one like that if it's sufficiently portable but I'd
>use it the way some use their iPads. If it were a mini-tower I'd
>probably strip salvageable parts and rebuild. Or recycle. It
>definitely wouldn't be my main machine in 2021.
>
>I've got a Ryzen 8 core runnning at 3.6 mhz - it was a screamer when I
>got it 2 years ago but obviously becoming less so. Am running with a 1
>Tb ssd and maxed SDRAM (64 gb DDR4) For storage I've got 3 internal
>drives (ported from previous machines) and 4 8Tb externals. (Mostly I
>wait for sales but wasn't fast enough for Black Friday this year as
>one local store was offering a 14Tb for the US$ equivalent of about
>$210-215 so missed out.

Newegg had WD 14TB drives on sale for $199 over the weekend and I was
able to snag a pair, bringing my total storage to 64TB, not counting the
system drive. I hate being bothered with the mundane task of deciding
what goes to which drive, so I have them pooled into a single
(large-ish) volume.

Re: Windows needs to fit better on a 32GB HP Stream 11 laptop

<j16kp8F6obhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56284&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56284

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 07:24:39 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 14:24 UTC

On 12/5/2021 9:14 PM, Char Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2021 18:28:32 -0800, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 10:10:01 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>As far as I'm concerned, such a computer is a piece of junk. Nobody
>>>should sell something like that, and if they are sold, nobody should buy
>>>one.
>>>
>>>32 billion may sound like a big number, but a 32GB drive is *tiny* these
>>>days. If I had such a computer, I'd throw it away and and buy a new
>>>computer with a much bigger drive. I never recommend anything less than
>>>500GB for anybody, and even that is very small for many people.
>>>
>>>You may not need as much as I have, but I have three 2TB drives in my
>>>computer--a total of 6TB. That's almost 2,000 times as much as you have.
>>
>>I wouldn't mind one like that if it's sufficiently portable but I'd
>>use it the way some use their iPads. If it were a mini-tower I'd
>>probably strip salvageable parts and rebuild. Or recycle. It
>>definitely wouldn't be my main machine in 2021.
>>
>>I've got a Ryzen 8 core runnning at 3.6 mhz - it was a screamer when I
>>got it 2 years ago but obviously becoming less so. Am running with a 1
>>Tb ssd and maxed SDRAM (64 gb DDR4) For storage I've got 3 internal
>>drives (ported from previous machines) and 4 8Tb externals. (Mostly I
>>wait for sales but wasn't fast enough for Black Friday this year as
>>one local store was offering a 14Tb for the US$ equivalent of about
>>$210-215 so missed out.
>
> Newegg had WD 14TB drives on sale for $199 over the weekend and I was
> able to snag a pair, bringing my total storage to 64TB, not counting the
> system drive. I hate being bothered with the mundane task of deciding
> what goes to which drive, so I have them pooled into a single
> (large-ish) volume.

You already had more storage than anyone I've never hear of; now you
have another 28TB. You're almost certainly the world's champion in that.
<VBG>