"The way of the world is to praise dead saints and prosecute live ones." -- Nathaniel Howe

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

SubjectAuthor
* Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7David LaRue
+* Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7David LaRue
|`* Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7VanguardLH
| `* Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7David LaRue
|  +- Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7Paul
|  `- Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7VanguardLH
`- Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7VanguardLH

1
Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

<XnsAF91443213F2Ahueydlltampabayrrcom@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5546&group=alt.windows7.general#5546

From: huey....@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:42:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:42 UTC

Hello,

My wife recently upgraded to an Epson ET-3483 for her printer. I use an
old Win7 64 machine that doesn't have drivers for this printer. Does
anyone know how to get a driver or configure Win7 to talk to this printer?

What happened to standards like Postscript and such for all printers?

Showing my age here,

David

Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

<XnsAF915D12C4720hueydlltampabayrrcom@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5547&group=alt.windows7.general#5547

From: huey....@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:09:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:09 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> My wife recently upgraded to an Epson ET-3483 for her printer. I use
> an old Win7 64 machine that doesn't have drivers for this printer.
> Does anyone know how to get a driver or configure Win7 to talk to this
> printer?
>
> What happened to standards like Postscript and such for all printers?
>
> Showing my age here,
>
> David

Thank you, John

Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

<1ohazgs3tk7ai.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5548&group=alt.windows7.general#5548

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 08:11:54 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:11 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> My wife recently upgraded to an Epson ET-3483 for her printer. I use
> an old Win7 64 machine that doesn't have drivers for this printer.
> Does anyone know how to get a driver or configure Win7 to talk to
> this printer?
>
> What happened to standards like Postscript and such for all printers?

Postscript is the content, not the hardware. Just like PCL (HP's
choice), it is a language. A language is independent of your mouth,
lips, tongue, lungs, and trachea. It is independent of hardware. Your
OS still needs an interface to the *hardware*.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript

What have you researched, so far, for drivers in Windows 7 for the
printer? My web search on "epson et-3483 drivers" found:

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/ET-Series/sh/s101

"3483" is not listed there. I also did a web image search, and didn't
see any 3483 printers shown. You sure you didn't jumble or mis-type a
couple digits in the model number, or you pick a series of digits that
are not the model number?

Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

<1fz9397pjdmig$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5549&group=alt.windows7.general#5549

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 08:17:55 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 14:17 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My wife recently upgraded to an Epson ET-3483 for her printer. I use
>> an old Win7 64 machine that doesn't have drivers for this printer.
>> Does anyone know how to get a driver or configure Win7 to talk to this
>> printer?
>>
>> What happened to standards like Postscript and such for all printers?
>>
>> Showing my age here,
>>
>> David
>>

> Thank you, John

Where is "John" in this discussion? I see your opening post, my reply
post, and your reply to yourself mentioning John. If you see a "John"
reply, please give the Message-ID for his post.

Were you multi-posting to another newsgroup instead of cross-posting?

Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

<XnsAF91772F89D11hueydlltampabayrrcom@46.165.242.75>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5550&group=alt.windows7.general#5550

From: huey....@tampabay.rr.com (David LaRue)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:43:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David LaRue - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:43 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:1fz9397pjdmig$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> My wife recently upgraded to an Epson ET-3483 for her printer. I use
>>> an old Win7 64 machine that doesn't have drivers for this printer.
>>> Does anyone know how to get a driver or configure Win7 to talk to this
>>> printer?
>>>
>>> What happened to standards like Postscript and such for all printers?
>>>
>>> Showing my age here,
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> Thank you, John
>
> Where is "John" in this discussion? I see your opening post, my reply
> post, and your reply to yourself mentioning John. If you see a "John"
> reply, please give the Message-ID for his post.
>
> Were you multi-posting to another newsgroup instead of cross-posting?

Sorry for the confusion. My email is valid and he reached out to me with
the solution. The drivers supplied do not support W7. The Epson site for
the USA and then drivers was able to find a driver package for the ET-3480
which recognized my Win 7 64 and offered to install.

Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

<tqbvv3$1l583$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5551&group=alt.windows7.general#5551

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:51:32 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:51 UTC

On 1/19/2023 11:43 AM, David LaRue wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:1fz9397pjdmig$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>> David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in

>>> Thank you, John
>>
>> Where is "John" in this discussion? I see your opening post, my reply
>> post, and your reply to yourself mentioning John. If you see a "John"
>> reply, please give the Message-ID for his post.
>>
>> Were you multi-posting to another newsgroup instead of cross-posting?
>>

> Sorry for the confusion. My email is valid and he reached out to me with
> the solution. The drivers supplied do not support W7. The Epson site for
> the USA and then drivers was able to find a driver package for the ET-3480
> which recognized my Win 7 64 and offered to install.

Use the OS selector, to get a driver package for your OS.

https://epson.ca/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/ET-Series/Epson-ET-3843/s/SPT_C11CJ61205#drivers

The reason it does not have PostScript, is PostScript is bundled with the CPU interpreter
inside a laser printer.

Standards include PostScript, PCL5, PCL6, and recently PDF printers have appeared.
Not all printers support all of these. Usually PCL and Postscript are mutually
exclusive. PostScript interpreters are not usually written by the printer
company and are purchased at cost, from a third party. This is one of the
reasons that PostScript is dying out, is the price of the interpreter at
printer level.

The machine in question, is an ink jet printer of the "tank" persuasion.
Accepting bottled ink, for big savings. This is likely to be driven with a
pixmap stream, in start/stop mode. If the printer does not have sufficient
data to print the next strip, the printer can wait for a period of time,
until the network catches up. The printer does not need to host an entire
page, before it can start printing. This allows really cheap printers to
be built.

Laser printers with PostScript, queue up an entire page image, before
the drum or belt starts into motion and the page is printed. Lasers
would not like start/stop mode, as the charge placed on the photoactive
surface, might drain off and affect print density. Thus, the charge placement,
photoactive charge depletion, toner application, and fusing, is one smooth motion.

*******

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule

Product Name Category Operation System Version Module Name Language Release Date
ET-3840 Series Printer Driver Linux 1.1.59 ESC/P-R Driver 2 (generic) All language 12-27-2022

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.1.59-1lsb3.2_i386.deb 3.8 MB
/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2/cups/lib/filter/

Seems the Linux support is a CUPS driver (since Linux is missing
from the menu on the other download page).

Paul

Re: Epson ET-3483 Driver for Win7

<mkwgstzdxv9k$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5552&group=alt.windows7.general#5552

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:12:02 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:12 UTC

David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:1fz9397pjdmig$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:
>
>> David LaRue <huey.dll@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>>> Thank you, John
>>
>> Where is "John" in this discussion?
>
> Sorry for the confusion. My email is valid and he reached out to me
> with the solution.

Ah, John took offline the discussion via e-mail, so no one else here can
see his suggestion. Thanks for the update.