From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Password manager
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:33:25 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 23:33 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 03:32:21 +1100, David E. Ross <nobody@notme.invalid>
wrote:

> On 12/17/2022 3:11 PM, swalker wrote:
>> I find that I can no longer remember the 60 passwords I have. So I
>> keep a list which isn't very safe I guess. So I have decided to use a
>> password manager.
>> And I don't mind paying something for a good one.
>>
>> Anybody have a recomendation?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> I do not want to trust my passwords on an external service. Instead, I
> have three local files where I keep lists of passwords.
>
> One list is plain text because I do not care if someone else sees it.
> These are passwords where logging into a site merely provides my
> personalized settings for viewing that site. There are no options at
> that site for financial transactions.
>
> One list is plain text that I encrypt using PGP. Those passwords are
> for sites where I might make a purchase or that have my medical
> information.
>
> The third list is a spreadsheet, which I also encrypt using PGP. Those
> passwords involve banking, investment accounts, tax accounts, and
> anything that could provide data for identity theft (e.g., utility
> accounts). I use a spreadsheet because I periodically change these
> passwords, and it is very easy to insert the date of the change.
>
> I have more than one (but few) PGP passphrases (not merely a password)
> to decrypt the encrypted lists. Those exist only in my head and in a
> sealed envelope in a bank's safe deposit box.

A proper password manager is much more convenient
because it either automatically fills in the fields when
the fields appear on the screen or has a button to tap
on to fill in the fields and keeps the details in a very
securely encrypted database which is itself password
or biometrically protected.