A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode

SubjectAuthor
* 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final EpisodeSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final EpisodeMike S.
|`* Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final EpisodeWerner P.
| `- Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final EpisodeAnt
+- Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final EpisodeAnt
`- Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episoderms

1
2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode

<c7mesg582msohko9og61754opcve0nkat4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5557&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5557

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:12:43 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 18:12 UTC

We've made it at last. The very last day of the 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action
Holiday Give-Away. And what a ride it has been too; I hope you had as
much fun with it as I did. But enough with the intro; I know why you
are all here. Let's give away some games.

Our first game of the day is "XCOM 2", and yes, I mean the 2016 game
and not "Terror From the Deep" (though, man, I'd love a re-make of
that classic!) This game did not engage me as much as did 2012's
"Enemy Unknown", largely because it lacked its predecessor's novelty,
but I admired how the developers were willing to take chances and
advance the setting's storyline. The gameplay is mostly the same,
albeit with numerous refinements and interesting additions (although I
could have done without most of those timed missions), and it's still
as annoyingly (but amusingly) unpredictable as ever. Why do I keep
missing when it says I have a 90% chance of success? Who knows, but
that's part of the game's charm. Find out for yourself by plugging 72
qf 85 getc-7 WDJN into Steam. Its not going to marvel you, but it is a
well-designed, full-featured game with extremely competent gameplay.

And our second game is "Metro Exodus", the third game in 4A Game's
"Metro 2033" series. Despite its name, the bulk of this title takes
place outside of the eponymous Moscow subway system, instead
introducing the character to a semi- open-world design. Personally, I
think this was a mistake for the franchise, which was strongest when
it concentrated on well-paced and atmospheric level design. Still,
given the popularity of games like "FarCry", I can understand the
developer's decision to change things up, and - for what it is -
"Exodus" is fine. The gunplay is solid and you get some impressively
large maps to explore. I could have done with a bit less emphasis on
scrounging and crafting, though. If you liked the "Metro" games but
wished it was a bit more like "STALKER", then you'll love Exodus. Give
it a try with 2x GRP -7 idivl 3AC2 and decide for yourself. Even if
you ultimately agree with me that franchise should stay in the metro,
you'll still have fun with this one.

And that is it for this year's c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away, at
least from me. No really; no more cliff-hangers or trick endings. This
was the final one. The bin where I store all my excess games is empty,
and unless I suddenly come into a bunch of new keys, I am done (and
even if I do find more keys, I'll probably just save them up for next
year ;-). Others might have a few more games to give-away, but this is
my last give-away for the season.

I hope you all had fun with this year's give-away; I know I did. Like
I have said, my goal with this thing was mult-fold, but mostly it was
to bring a bit of happiness to everyone during this holiday season. I
hope I managed that, either by getting you a free game or two, or just
the exuberant nonsense of my ramblings. If you didn't grab a game yet,
well, there still seem to be a few unclaimed so - even if it doesn't
look entirely like something you're interested in - give it a try
anyway. Better in your library than being resold by some bot, right?

I hope everybody had a great Christmas / Kwanzaa / Festivus / Hanukah
/ whatever-form-of-Winter-Solstice-celebration-you-prefer, filled with
joy and friends and large quantities of unhealthy but tasty food.
Hopefully we'll do this again next year. Until then...

Have fun, and keep gaming.

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode

<eepesgd20hrudbdjddgmr5glhkrj5ojkgf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5559&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5559

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:45:59 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 18:45 UTC

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:12:43 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Have fun, and keep gaming.

I took X-COM 2. The other one should still be available for whoever
wants to grab it.

Thank you Spalls for sharing your extra keys and Merry Christmas.

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode

<QqSdnWuh4JEx9lr8nZ2dnUU7-LudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5561&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5561

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:06:20 -0600
 by: Ant - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 19:06 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> We've made it at last. The very last day of the 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action
> Holiday Give-Away. And what a ride it has been too; I hope you had as
> much fun with it as I did. But enough with the intro; I know why you
> are all here. Let's give away some games.

> Our first game of the day is "XCOM 2", and yes, I mean the 2016 game
> and not "Terror From the Deep" (though, man, I'd love a re-make of
> that classic!) This game did not engage me as much as did 2012's
> "Enemy Unknown", largely because it lacked its predecessor's novelty,
> but I admired how the developers were willing to take chances and
> advance the setting's storyline. The gameplay is mostly the same,
> albeit with numerous refinements and interesting additions (although I
> could have done without most of those timed missions), and it's still
> as annoyingly (but amusingly) unpredictable as ever. Why do I keep
> missing when it says I have a 90% chance of success? Who knows, but
> that's part of the game's charm. Find out for yourself by plugging 72
> qf 85 getc-7 WDJN into Steam. Its not going to marvel you, but it is a
> well-designed, full-featured game with extremely competent gameplay.

I never got into the original XCOM game when I was a callow since I
didn't like turn based games. I saw Steam had a free weekend a few weeks
ago, but I had no time due to other free Steam weekend games. :( I think
Steam did that a few times so maybe next time!

> And our second game is "Metro Exodus", the third game in 4A Game's
> "Metro 2033" series. Despite its name, the bulk of this title takes
> place outside of the eponymous Moscow subway system, instead
> introducing the character to a semi- open-world design. Personally, I
> think this was a mistake for the franchise, which was strongest when
> it concentrated on well-paced and atmospheric level design. Still,
> given the popularity of games like "FarCry", I can understand the
> developer's decision to change things up, and - for what it is -
> "Exodus" is fine. The gunplay is solid and you get some impressively
> large maps to explore. I could have done with a bit less emphasis on
> scrounging and crafting, though. If you liked the "Metro" games but
> wished it was a bit more like "STALKER", then you'll love Exodus. Give
> it a try with 2x GRP -7 idivl 3AC2 and decide for yourself. Even if
> you ultimately agree with me that franchise should stay in the metro,
> you'll still have fun with this one.

"Mine."

> And that is it for this year's c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away, at
> least from me. No really; no more cliff-hangers or trick endings. This
> was the final one. The bin where I store all my excess games is empty,
> and unless I suddenly come into a bunch of new keys, I am done (and
> even if I do find more keys, I'll probably just save them up for next
> year ;-). Others might have a few more games to give-away, but this is
> my last give-away for the season.

> I hope you all had fun with this year's give-away; I know I did. Like
> I have said, my goal with this thing was mult-fold, but mostly it was
> to bring a bit of happiness to everyone during this holiday season. I
> hope I managed that, either by getting you a free game or two, or just
> the exuberant nonsense of my ramblings. If you didn't grab a game yet,
> well, there still seem to be a few unclaimed so - even if it doesn't
> look entirely like something you're interested in - give it a try
> anyway. Better in your library than being resold by some bot, right?

> I hope everybody had a great Christmas / Kwanzaa / Festivus / Hanukah
> / whatever-form-of-Winter-Solstice-celebration-you-prefer, filled with
> joy and friends and large quantities of unhealthy but tasty food.
> Hopefully we'll do this again next year. Until then...

> Have fun, and keep gaming.

Thanks and see you next year for freebies! ;)
--
Merry Christmas and happy birthday Jesus! *<|:D
| |o o| |

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode

<sq7q83$qt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5562&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5562

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:08:51 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 19:08 UTC

Am 25.12.21 um 19:45 schrieb Mike S.:
> X-COM 2. The other one should still be available for whoever
> wants to grab it.

Someone grabbed the other one already...

Werner

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode

<QqSdnWSh4JGu8Fr8nZ2dnUU7-LudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5565&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5565

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:12:51 -0600
 by: Ant - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 19:12 UTC

Werner P. <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:
> Am 25.12.21 um 19:45 schrieb Mike S.:
> > X-COM 2. The other one should still be available for whoever
> > wants to grab it.
> >

> Someone grabbed the other one already...

You're two minutes late. ;)
--
Merry Christmas and happy birthday Jesus! *<|:D
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away - The Final Episode

<sq825c$erq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5566&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5566

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:23:56 -0700
 by: rms - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:23 UTC

>We've made it at last. The very last day of the 2021 c.s.i.p.g.action
>Holiday Give-Away.

Yay! Great games!

rms