We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Timeshift and bigger issues...

SubjectAuthor
* Timeshift and bigger issues...Bill
+* Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...Paul
|`- Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...Bill
+- Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...Dan Purgert
+- Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...[QUIT]Big Al
`- Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...Dan Purgert

1
Timeshift and bigger issues...

<BQhML.1288307$iS99.1179852@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5560&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5560

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Subject: Timeshift and bigger issues...
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 03:02:41 -0500
 by: Bill - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 08:02 UTC

Timeshift seemed to be hogging resources (even though I only had one
backup saved, and none scheduled). So I used Timeshift to delete the
one I had saved (it was a year old), and then I tried to create a new
one. That process failed and it used all my storage (vdi) including
storage allocated to root. Now I can't get passed the login screen. I
can't even seem to open a command prompt. At my user login, it asks for
password, then in 5 seconds it asks again.

Clearly, I am in need of help, if anyone might be able to assist me! : )
Thank you for your consideration!

Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...

<ttsdej$jkoa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5561&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5561

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 04:08:35 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:08 UTC

On 3/3/2023 3:02 AM, Bill wrote:
> Timeshift seemed to be hogging resources (even though I only had one backup saved, and none scheduled).  So I used Timeshift to delete the
> one I had saved (it was a year old), and then I tried to create a new one. That process failed and it used all my storage (vdi) including storage allocated to root.  Now I can't get passed the login screen. I can't even seem to open a command prompt.  At my user login, it asks for password, then in 5 seconds it asks again.
>
> Clearly, I am in need of help, if anyone might be able to assist me! : )
> Thank you for your consideration!

There's various mumbling in here about the timeshift structure,
and the tendency to fill a partition. Notice how some interface
does not show all the structure in there, making GUI management
a bit difficult.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=370805

*******

In Windows, 7ZIP opens a .vdi, and 7ZIP also opens an EXT4 partition.

This allows you to examine the folder structure and the file sizes,
before using real tools to fix it. 7ZIP is not really intended for making
changes to these kinds of containers. As far as I know. I quite frequently
look inside stuff with that tool.

In your virtual environment, if you install an optical drive and
a hard drive, and place an ISO9660 of Linux Mint as your "optical drive"
in the virtual machine, you can boot the Linux Mint DVD. From there,
you can mount the EXT4 partition which is visible inside the virtual machine.
This means you can make edits, rm something or rm -Rf something, and so on.

VirtualBox does not seem to support booting from USB keys. So you use
ISOs from your ISO collection, to boot up repair media.

*******

The hosting softwares, tend to use the <esc> key to get to the
UEFI popup boot menu. On one of the hosting softwares, you have
to beat unmercifully on the <esc> key, because the timing window
is short and you might miss it. It's almost like they're emulating
a real BIOS.

Whereas when you present the canned set, of an "optical drive"
and your container disk, the boot order is set up well enough that
the environment knows it is to boot from the optical drive first.

Paul

Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...

<slrnu03juq.buj.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5562&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5562

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:44:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:44 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...

<mXmML.997991$Tcw8.150209@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5563&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5563

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: nonegi...@att.net (Bill)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 08:51:13 -0500
 by: Bill - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 13:51 UTC

On 3/3/2023 4:08 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 3/3/2023 3:02 AM, Bill wrote:
>> Timeshift seemed to be hogging resources (even though I only had one
>> backup saved, and none scheduled).  So I used Timeshift to delete the
>> one I had saved (it was a year old), and then I tried to create a new
>> one. That process failed and it used all my storage (vdi) including
>> storage allocated to root.  Now I can't get passed the login screen. I
>> can't even seem to open a command prompt.  At my user login, it asks
>> for password, then in 5 seconds it asks again.
>>
>> Clearly, I am in need of help, if anyone might be able to assist me! : )
>> Thank you for your consideration!
>
> There's various mumbling in here about the timeshift structure,
> and the tendency to fill a partition. Notice how some interface
> does not show all the structure in there, making GUI management
> a bit difficult.
>
>    https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=370805

Your link above reflects my experience exactly! I blame "timeshift".
I did install a second version of Linux, and the 2nd version was
accessing the first file system. But when I tried to use Timeshift
through the command line I got a "segmentation fault" (probably because
what I wanted to delete was corrupted. After sufficient experimenting,
I decided it would be quicker to just reinstall everything, and I have
now completed the main part of that! Thanks everyone who tried to
help!!! I love the supportive environment!

Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...[QUIT]

<tvceo3$4vap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5770&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5770

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...[QUIT]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 10:25:07 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 14:25 UTC

On 3/3/23 03:02, this is what Bill wrote:
> Timeshift seemed to be hogging resources (even though I only had one backup saved, and none scheduled).  So I used
> Timeshift to delete the
> one I had saved (it was a year old), and then I tried to create a new one. That process failed and it used all my
> storage (vdi) including storage allocated to root.  Now I can't get passed the login screen. I can't even seem to open a
> command prompt.  At my user login, it asks for password, then in 5 seconds it asks again.
>
> Clearly, I am in need of help, if anyone might be able to assist me! : )
> Thank you for your consideration!Since I was doing this for my own learning experience, I've decided to quit and delete timeshift. I've learned what I
wanted to see.
What I have works, and I have a simple install script that make a reload simple if needed.
Thanks to all.
--
Al

Re: Timeshift and bigger issues...

<slrnu1k4l5.k5f.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5771&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5771

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:24:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:24 UTC