Real Users are afraid they'll break the machine -- but they're never afraid to break your face.

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

SubjectAuthor
* Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?PW
+- Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?Ant
+* Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?Spalls Hurgenson
|`* Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?Justisaur
| `* Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?PW
|  `* Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?Ant
|   `- Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?PW
`* Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?rms
 `- Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?Ant

1
Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<ec8csgl5ggt1ltu98o7rlogn4255v5m49d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5523&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5523

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 12:39:28 -0700
 by: PW - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 19:39 UTC

Hi,

Was Far Cry 6 the only "blockbuster" to be released in time for
Christmas? Is so, it is getting mediocre reviews.

Didn't games like the Half-Life series get released about now?

Just curious.

-pw

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<0ZCdnYWC1anwvlv8nZ2dnUU7-IGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5525&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5525

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 13:45:49 -0600
 by: Ant - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 19:45 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> Was Far Cry 6 the only "blockbuster" to be released in time for
> Christmas? Is so, it is getting mediocre reviews.

> Didn't games like the Half-Life series get released about now?

> Just curious.

I remember HL2 released since I played it during Thanksgiving week.
--
Dang coldness, colony, works, leaks, rain, mess, z, software upgrades, free games, spams, (scam/fraud)s, greeds, inflations, illnesses, body, life, craziness, BUSYness, etc. :( Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings / Merry Christmas / etc. though. *<|:D
| |o o| |

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<s4bcsg1ii1u24dtsqtbreil41hf7hhaovo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5527&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5527

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:47:21 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:47 UTC

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 12:39:28 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>Hi,

Hi! How ya doin'?

>Was Far Cry 6 the only "blockbuster" to be released in time for
>Christmas? Is so, it is getting mediocre reviews.

>Didn't games like the Half-Life series get released about now?

It does seem like there are less games this season, doesn't it?

I can think of a number of reasons for that. One is simply because
there are fewer "big name" developers these days; so many of the
mid-tier developers have been absorbed into the EA / Ubisoft /
Activision / Take-Two that they're are less studios making games.
Well, that's not quite true; the Indie scene is booming, of course,
but they don't have the money or marketing clout to saturate the
airwaves with announcements about the release of their latest
products.

Meanwhile, the big-name studios - the ones that can plaster the web
and TV and magazines with the aforementioned announcements - keep
making big games. Big games are, well, big and - more importantly -
expensive... so there are fewer of those too.

On the gripping hand, publishers have also become less dependent on
the holidays for their 'make-it-or-break-it' sales. Going digital
helped with that; it's lessened the friction between customers
learning about a product and buying it, meaning gamers are more
willing to buy on a whim. It also allows 'early access' tactics, so
games can trickle out earlier and earlier, earning cash long before
their 'official' release, which has the unfortunate result in the real
release date becoming less and less noteworthy.

Plus, this is 2021 we're talking about. Everything else has been
disrupted by the pandemic; why should games be different? Between
supply-chain problems, work-from-home difficulties and employees
(rightly) becoming upset at upper management's actions, release dates
have been affected, being pushed further and further back.

December was never the most active year anyway; the schedule started
picking up from late August with mid-October to November being when
there were the most games. And we have seen a number of notable games
released this year during that period. "Back 4 Blood", the
aforementioned "Far Cry 6", "Guardians of the Galaxy", "GTA Trilogy
Definitive Edition", "Age of Empires IV", "Call of Duty: Vanguard",
"Jurassic World Evolution', "Skyrim Special Edition No Not That One
The New One", "Beyond A Steel Sky", "Evil Genius 2", "Wreckfest",
"Halo Infinite", "Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker" and "Battlefield 2042"
being just a selection.

Of course, in my case the problem isn't the number of triple-A games
being released, it's that so few of them are catching my interest
anymore. Whether or not that has anything to do with the games
themselves, between my increased sensitivity to price and my
impressively library of games I already own, it takes a lot for a new
game to make me care enough to buy it straight off the presses. In the
list above, there are just two or three I'm even somewhat interested
in playing, with the rest being relegated to the 'I guess, maybe, if I
can't think of anything else' or the 'no thanks, I'll pass' lists.

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<73a81053-0a1b-401b-a204-fca00746be11n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5536&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5536

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:06:47 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:06 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:47:36 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

"Guardians of the Galaxy"

I'm extremely interested in this, it's got great reviews too. Unforntuately my
VC probably isn't up to it, and I can't justify spending $1000 on a card with
a $300 MSRP to scalpers, so I'm stuck.

"GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition"
Remastered, not a new release. Reports are it's far worse than the originals,
Rockstar has a big old rotten ostrich egg on their face from this.
I've seen videos and it looks bad. Real bad.

"Age of Empires IV", "Call of Duty: Vanguard",
> "Jurassic World Evolution', "Skyrim Special Edition No Not That One
> The New One", "Beyond A Steel Sky", "Evil Genius 2", "Wreckfest",
> "Halo Infinite", "Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker" and "Battlefield 2042"
> being just a selection.

O.k. the rest of that I don't care, and Skyrim is just another re-release.

- Justisaur

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<sq5q1i$4ug$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5538&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5538

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 17:53:05 -0700
 by: rms - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 00:53 UTC

>Didn't games like the Half-Life series get released about now?

Mostly the pandemic happened. Also crunchtime to force release schedules
are increasingly frowned on.

>Just curious

rms

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<M9udnZ_MHNgB6Fv8nZ2dnUU7-KednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5543&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5543

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 19:36:28 -0600
 by: Ant - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 01:36 UTC

rms <rsquiresMOO@mooflashmoo.net> wrote:
> >Didn't games like the Half-Life series get released about now?

> Mostly the pandemic happened. Also crunchtime to force release schedules
> are increasingly frowned on.

And buggy releases. :(
--
Dang coldness, colony, works, leaks, rain, mess, z, software upgrades, free games, spams, (scam/fraud)s, greeds, inflations, illnesses, body, life, craziness, BUSYness, etc. :( Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings / Merry Christmas / etc. though. *<|:D
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<d46dsgh7sjlrm2vve6ab75aokk29atn2mr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5544&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5544

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 21:06:19 -0700
 by: PW - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 04:06 UTC

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:06:47 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
<justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:47:36 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>

>"Guardians of the Galaxy"
>
>I'm extremely interested in this, it's got great reviews too. Unforntuately my
>VC probably isn't up to it, and I can't justify spending $1000 on a card with
>a $300 MSRP to scalpers, so I'm stuck.
>
> "GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition"
>Remastered, not a new release. Reports are it's far worse than the originals,
>Rockstar has a big old rotten ostrich egg on their face from this.
>I've seen videos and it looks bad. Real bad.
>
> "Age of Empires IV", "Call of Duty: Vanguard",
>> "Jurassic World Evolution', "Skyrim Special Edition No Not That One
>> The New One", "Beyond A Steel Sky", "Evil Genius 2", "Wreckfest",
>> "Halo Infinite", "Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker" and "Battlefield 2042"
>> being just a selection.
>
>O.k. the rest of that I don't care, and Skyrim is just another re-release.
>
>- Justisaur

*---

I never heard of it! How did I miss it? No reviews at GameSpot, PC
Gamer, Max PC....

Looks fantastic!

-pw

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<krSdnXBhVdUWXFv8nZ2dnUU7-X2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5547&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5547

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 01:00:27 -0600
 by: Ant - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 07:00 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:06:47 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> >On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:47:36 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> >

> >"Guardians of the Galaxy"
> >
> >I'm extremely interested in this, it's got great reviews too. Unforntuately my
> >VC probably isn't up to it, and I can't justify spending $1000 on a card with
> >a $300 MSRP to scalpers, so I'm stuck.
> >
> > "GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition"
> >Remastered, not a new release. Reports are it's far worse than the originals,
> >Rockstar has a big old rotten ostrich egg on their face from this.
> >I've seen videos and it looks bad. Real bad.
> >
> > "Age of Empires IV", "Call of Duty: Vanguard",
> >> "Jurassic World Evolution', "Skyrim Special Edition No Not That One
> >> The New One", "Beyond A Steel Sky", "Evil Genius 2", "Wreckfest",
> >> "Halo Infinite", "Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker" and "Battlefield 2042"
> >> being just a selection.
> >
> >O.k. the rest of that I don't care, and Skyrim is just another re-release.
> >
> >- Justisaur

> *---

> I never heard of it! How did I miss it? No reviews at GameSpot, PC
> Gamer, Max PC....

> Looks fantastic!

I still have yet to play it even though I have it! I should be playing a
game! Why am I in here? Oh right. I was BUSY napping, backing up C:,
upgrading, etc. :P

--
Dang coldness, colony, works, leaks, rain, mess, z, software upgrades, free games, spams, (scam/fraud)s, greeds, inflations, illnesses, body, life, craziness, BUSYness, etc. :( Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings / Merry Christmas / etc. though. *<|:D
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Whatever happened to the blockbuster Christmas time games?

<djefsgphdi5eeghho8ak41bbs4h7lmehoj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5568&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5568

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 17:46:02 -0700
 by: PW - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 00:46 UTC

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 01:00:27 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:06:47 -0800 (PST), Justisaur
>> <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 12:47:36 PM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> >

>> >"Guardians of the Galaxy"
>> >
>> >I'm extremely interested in this, it's got great reviews too. Unforntuately my
>> >VC probably isn't up to it, and I can't justify spending $1000 on a card with
>> >a $300 MSRP to scalpers, so I'm stuck.
>> >
>> > "GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition"
>> >Remastered, not a new release. Reports are it's far worse than the originals,
>> >Rockstar has a big old rotten ostrich egg on their face from this.
>> >I've seen videos and it looks bad. Real bad.
>> >
>> > "Age of Empires IV", "Call of Duty: Vanguard",
>> >
>> >O.k. the rest of that I don't care, and Skyrim is just another re-release.
>> >
>> >- Justisaur
>

>> *---
>
>> I never heard of it! How did I miss it? No reviews at GameSpot, PC
>> Gamer, Max PC....
>
>> Looks fantastic!
>
>I still have yet to play it even though I have it! I should be playing a
>game! Why am I in here? Oh right. I was BUSY napping, backing up C:,
>upgrading, etc. :P

*--

I bought it. Just started it but could only play for a few minutes. I
had better get back to it very soon or I may forget something
important hehe!

I am going to try and concentrate on this one, Dark Souls III, and
maybe give Deathloop another try (10/10 at GameSpot. The only other
time I think they gave a game a rating like that was Disco Elysium
which I need to get back to).

I don't know about DL. No checkpoints, save games that I know about
until a "section" is finished. I have had to restart it from the
beginning three times with no progress saved. I don't think I have
the patience for this!