"Once they go up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department." -- Werner von Braun

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: Question

SubjectAuthor
* Re: QuestionMike Easter
`* Re: QuestionNic
 +* Re: QuestionMike Easter
 |`- Re: QuestionNic
 `* Re: QuestionDan Purgert
  `* Re: QuestionNic
   +- Re: QuestionDan Purgert
   `* Re: QuestionMike Easter
    `* Re: QuestionNic
     +* Re: QuestionMike Easter
     |+* Re: QuestionNic
     ||`- Re: QuestionMonsieur
     |+* Re: QuestionDan Purgert
     ||`- Re: QuestionMike Easter
     |`* Re: Questiongreybeard
     | `- Re: QuestionNic
     `* Re: QuestionDan Purgert
      `* Re: QuestionNic
       `- Re: QuestionDan Purgert

1
Re: Question

<k6etjgF5ksuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5564&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5564

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Question
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:46:07 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:46 UTC

Nic wrote:
> I would be interested to hear from users who are using earlier versions
> of Linux Mint. Especially people who are using pre-19.1 versions.

How to create a new Subject thread/question.

- do not give the new subject thread a generic title like 'question'
nor ask a question in the subject
- I recommend creating the BODY of a new subject thread /first/ to
enable the best subject
- a new subject thread msg body should have complete sentences, no
ambiguity, and enough information for the readers to fully understand
any question contained as well as the question being posed
- the new *subject* of a complete msg body should be a brief *title*
to the msg, not the question of the msg's content, in this case such as
'pre-19.1 LM' since the group is Mint.
- by placing the question in the msg body, those who are answering the
question will be able to trim parts of your msg body but leave the
question context

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question

<20230303135637.ccee89586b49d94751533cb9@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5565&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5565

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 13:56:37 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:56 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:46:07 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
> > I would be interested to hear from users who are using earlier versions
> > of Linux Mint. Especially people who are using pre-19.1 versions.
>
> How to create a new Subject thread/question.
>
> - do not give the new subject thread a generic title like 'question'
> nor ask a question in the subject
> - I recommend creating the BODY of a new subject thread /first/ to
> enable the best subject
> - a new subject thread msg body should have complete sentences, no
> ambiguity, and enough information for the readers to fully understand
> any question contained as well as the question being posed
> - the new *subject* of a complete msg body should be a brief *title*
> to the msg, not the question of the msg's content, in this case such as
> 'pre-19.1 LM' since the group is Mint.
> - by placing the question in the msg body, those who are answering the
> question will be able to trim parts of your msg body but leave the
> question context
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Are these the absolute in stone rules?

You got the idea of my question, so if you do not have an answer you should not inject yourself into the thread.

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Question

<k6evjbF5v0cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5567&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5567

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:20:10 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 19:20 UTC

Nic wrote:
> Are these the absolute in stone rules?

Of course not; usenet is organized anarchy :-)

> You got the idea of my question, so if you do not have an answer you should not inject yourself into the thread.

Nono. Your thread is 'public fodder' for conversation. My msg, which
was 'off-topic' for your specific request, was what would be considered
a 'meta-' topical response.

That is, it was related to your msg in terms of 'what's wrong' w/ it,
such as a spelling or other 'error' but not a specific requested remark.

Consider it 'advice' re 'good usenet practices' as it applies to your
earlier msg.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question

<20230303143255.d7065edf1cdeaab49cdb82e2@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5568&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5568

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 14:32:55 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 19:32 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:20:10 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
> > Are these the absolute in stone rules?
> >
> Of course not; usenet is organized anarchy :-)
>
> > You got the idea of my question, so if you do not have an answer you should not inject yourself into the thread.
>
> Nono. Your thread is 'public fodder' for conversation. My msg, which
> was 'off-topic' for your specific request, was what would be considered
> a 'meta-' topical response.
>
> That is, it was related to your msg in terms of 'what's wrong' w/ it,
> such as a spelling or other 'error' but not a specific requested remark.
>
> Consider it 'advice' re 'good usenet practices' as it applies to your
> earlier msg.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Let us hope there more more people who can answer a question without having to evangelize.
--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Question

<slrnu04l4s.buj.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5570&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5570

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:11:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:11 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question

<20230303151816.6eff96fcbde522dd68841e14@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5571&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5571

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 15:18:16 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:18 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:11:14 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> On 2023-03-03, Nic wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:46:07 -0800
> > Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> >> How to create a new Subject thread/question.
> >> [...]
> >
> > Are these the absolute in stone rules?
>
> For the most part, they're more like "guidelines for getting a response
> you want" (or, in some cases; a response at all).
>
> There must've been an error at e-s; as I can't pull the post Mike was
> originally responding to -- but it's gonna be pretty pointless to be
> asking about "pre-19.1" linux mint; as all earlier versions are End Of
> Life (well, unless you mean LM19.0; which is basically identical to
> 19.1, so...)

That was the point of my question, to see if there were any users of pre-19.0 Linux Mint. From other groups I read that there are people who still use windows xp and w7, whose support ended long ago, there may be people who are still using very early versions of LM.
--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Question

<slrnu04m7v.buj.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5572&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5572

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:29:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 20:29 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question

<k6f639F6t5fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5573&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5573

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 13:11:04 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 21:11 UTC

Nic wrote:
> there may be people who are still using very early versions of LM.

In the past, I have used v/s of LM past the EOL. I used LM 17.3 LTS
based on Ub 14.04 past its EOL 2019 Apr. Back then, there was both
64&32bit as well as KDE. There was also a KDE for LM 18 (LTS on Ub
16.04 EOL 2021 Apr) which also came in 64/32bit.

But I don't advise doing that, because you (or I) aren't wise enough to
know if the absence of security improvements after EOL are 'significant'
to your use or not.

In general, Mint does a good job of enabling you to update and upgrade
your distro v and in general as well, everyone should have adequate
backup in case anything goes wrong there.

I will 'admit' that it is much easier to install a distro v than it is
to fix something which gets b0rken. But, attempting to fix a b0rken
thing is educational and often successful w/ the help of those who are
wiser that we are.

So is (occasionally) compiling something. It is interesting to follow
the dev of Easy OS Barry Kauler who often ventures into untested waters
in his off-beat compiling strategies.

What is it you expect from someone using a currently out of EOL version?
Emotional support for doing so? I would say that going past the EOL
becomes progressively more 'risky' as the number of security fixes grows
w/ time. The /latest/ v of LM *earlier* than LM 19 is LM 18, which is
based on Ub 16.04, which is pretty old, going on 7 years.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question

<20230303164515.104ab1c88d82ec5bf555b928@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5574&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5574

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 16:45:15 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 21:45 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 13:11:04 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
> > there may be people who are still using very early versions of LM.
>
> In the past, I have used v/s of LM past the EOL. I used LM 17.3 LTS
> based on Ub 14.04 past its EOL 2019 Apr. Back then, there was both
> 64&32bit as well as KDE. There was also a KDE for LM 18 (LTS on Ub
> 16.04 EOL 2021 Apr) which also came in 64/32bit.
>
> But I don't advise doing that, because you (or I) aren't wise enough to
> know if the absence of security improvements after EOL are 'significant'
> to your use or not.
>
> In general, Mint does a good job of enabling you to update and upgrade
> your distro v and in general as well, everyone should have adequate
> backup in case anything goes wrong there.
>
> I will 'admit' that it is much easier to install a distro v than it is
> to fix something which gets b0rken. But, attempting to fix a b0rken
> thing is educational and often successful w/ the help of those who are
> wiser that we are.
>
> So is (occasionally) compiling something. It is interesting to follow
> the dev of Easy OS Barry Kauler who often ventures into untested waters
> in his off-beat compiling strategies.
>
> What is it you expect from someone using a currently out of EOL version?
> Emotional support for doing so? I would say that going past the EOL
> becomes progressively more 'risky' as the number of security fixes grows
> w/ time. The /latest/ v of LM *earlier* than LM 19 is LM 18, which is
> based on Ub 16.04, which is pretty old, going on 7 years.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I was curious if there were any such users and if and how they overcame that illusive 'security risk' that every one runs in terror in the other direction. It would be interesting if there was some one wiser than you or I that could elaborate or elucidate exactly what those risks are, instead of some 'blanket statement' that is at the very least ambiguous and has no supporting evidence.
--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Question

<k6fajuF7j75U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5575&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5575

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 14:28:13 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:28 UTC

Nic wrote:
> It would be interesting if there was some one wiser than you or I that could elaborate or elucidate exactly what those risks are, instead of some 'blanket statement' that is at the very least ambiguous and has no supporting evidence

Well, since my fave playground is a live distro, that is how I would
approach the issue.

I would boot a live LM 18.3 (if you can find one) and use its update mgr
to get a big list of all the updates offered. I can't recall exactly
how that older mgr was configured in terms of how it used icons to
indicate security and system updates, but I recall wishing that updates
could have more than one icon, such as both security and system, or
should one just assume that all system updates are related to security,
which I doubt.

Personally I don't have a copy of an old LM 18.3

w/ a lot of trial and error, I found this old 18.2

https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/18.2/

Any of the 18s should work for the purpose I described above.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question

<20230303174512.a96919faeb4bf4204e3ba143@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5576&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5576

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:45:12 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:45 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 14:28:13 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
> > It would be interesting if there was some one wiser than you or I that could elaborate or elucidate exactly what those risks are, instead of some 'blanket statement' that is at the very least ambiguous and has no supporting evidence
>
> Well, since my fave playground is a live distro, that is how I would
> approach the issue.
>
> I would boot a live LM 18.3 (if you can find one) and use its update mgr
> to get a big list of all the updates offered. I can't recall exactly
> how that older mgr was configured in terms of how it used icons to
> indicate security and system updates, but I recall wishing that updates
> could have more than one icon, such as both security and system, or
> should one just assume that all system updates are related to security,
> which I doubt.
>
> Personally I don't have a copy of an old LM 18.3
>
> w/ a lot of trial and error, I found this old 18.2
>
> https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/18.2/
>
> Any of the 18s should work for the purpose I described above.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

The trick would be to use it right out of the box and see if it even works. Could you browse? Too many broken sites? It is my opinion that the vector for malware always focuses on the latest versions and tend to overlook old and restired versions. Don't forget that most people use installed versions and not live distros. Maybe down the road persistence will be more a common feature with later distros.

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Question

<slrnu04uej.buj.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5577&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5577

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:50:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:50 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question

<slrnu04uu2.buj.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5578&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5578

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:58:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:58 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Question

<20230303180908.3e0cd8b94de8e0baff73f1c8@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5579&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5579

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:09:08 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 23:09 UTC

On Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:58:17 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> On 2023-03-03, Nic wrote:
> > [...]
> > I was curious if there were any such users and if and how they
> > overcame that illusive 'security risk' that every one runs in terror
> > in the other direction. It would be interesting if there was some one
> > wiser than you or I that could elaborate or elucidate exactly what
> > those risks are, instead of some 'blanket statement' that is at the
> > very least ambiguous and has no supporting evidence.
>
> You mean the general risks of (if for example) using a LM 18 installer,
> and trying to run firefox from 2016 without the current list of rootCA
> trust? Or perhaps not having the Spectre / Meltdown patches from early
> 2017?
>
> And that's just real quick off the top of my head / not even really
> trying to dig into CVEs that would've been patched after April 2016.
>
> _SOME_ things may be able to be mitigated with compiling from source;
> but there's only so far you can take the system forward before you have
> a breaking change (i.e. create dependency hell).

Might it be possible to update to the latest FF and TB in such an old version? What are CVEs?
This only shows my lack of knowledge or ignorance of the topic at hand, but curiosity abounds in all living creatures.
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Question

<tttvqv$okc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5580&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5580

From: nob...@nowhere.invalid (greybeard)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:28:31 +1300
 by: greybeard - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 23:28 UTC

On 4/03/23 11:28, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> It would be interesting if there was some one wiser than you or I that
>> could elaborate or elucidate exactly what those risks are, instead of
>> some 'blanket statement' that is at the very least ambiguous and has
>> no supporting evidence
>
> Well, since my fave playground is a live distro, that is how I would
> approach the issue.
>
> I would boot a live LM 18.3 (if you can find one) and use its update mgr
> to get a big list of all the updates offered.  I can't recall exactly
> how that older mgr was configured in terms of how it used icons to
> indicate security and system updates, but I recall wishing that updates
> could have more than one icon, such as both security and system, or
> should one just assume that all system updates are related to security,
> which I doubt.
>
> Personally I don't have a copy of an old LM 18.3
>
> w/ a lot of trial and error, I found this old 18.2
>
> https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/18.2/
>
> Any of the 18s should work for the purpose I described above.

Here ya go... take your pick;

http://ucmirror.canterbury.ac.nz/linux/mint/isos/stable/

Re: Question

<20230303183309.e26e171cc6df5f1c71c1693f@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5581&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5581

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:33:09 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 23:33 UTC

On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:28:31 +1300
greybeard <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> On 4/03/23 11:28, Mike Easter wrote:
> > Nic wrote:
> >> It would be interesting if there was some one wiser than you or I that
> >> could elaborate or elucidate exactly what those risks are, instead of
> >> some 'blanket statement' that is at the very least ambiguous and has
> >> no supporting evidence
> >
> > Well, since my fave playground is a live distro, that is how I would
> > approach the issue.
> >
> > I would boot a live LM 18.3 (if you can find one) and use its update mgr
> > to get a big list of all the updates offered.  I can't recall exactly
> > how that older mgr was configured in terms of how it used icons to
> > indicate security and system updates, but I recall wishing that updates
> > could have more than one icon, such as both security and system, or
> > should one just assume that all system updates are related to security,
> > which I doubt.
> >
> > Personally I don't have a copy of an old LM 18.3
> >
> > w/ a lot of trial and error, I found this old 18.2
> >
> > https://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/18.2/
> >
> > Any of the 18s should work for the purpose I described above.
> >

> Here ya go... take your pick;
>
> http://ucmirror.canterbury.ac.nz/linux/mint/isos/stable/

Very Nice! Thanks

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Question

<k6fldvF94mhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5582&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5582

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 17:32:47 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 01:32 UTC

Dan Purgert wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>>
>> I would boot a live LM 18.3 (if you can find one) and use its update mgr
>> to get a big list of all the updates offered.
>
> That list probably wouldn't be all that big, since the repos are
> somewhat "gone" these days.

Oh, yeah; I forgot about that. The repo/s are gone/dead.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Question

<ttuqga$1l0mn$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5583&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5583

From: Monsi...@notreal.invalid (Monsieur)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 08:03:38 +0100
 by: Monsieur - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 07:03 UTC

Nic wrote:

> The trick would be to use it right out of the box and see if it even works. Could you browse? Too many broken sites? It is my opinion that the vector for malware always focuses on the latest versions and tend to overlook old and restired versions. Don't forget that most people use installed versions and not live distros. Maybe down the road persistence will be more a common feature with later distros.

Well, this is interesting. I still have about 35 old Mint isos,
including 1.0-beta, 2.0, 3, 4, 5... up to the most recent ones, so I
decided to experiment a bit.

Created a usb-stick with Mint 7 and one with Mint 11, but they wouldn't
even boot, probably because they're still 32-bit images.

Then I tried Mint 17, which is the first 64-bit image I have. It booted
fine, programs worked, everything was fast and snappy (and much more
beautiful to look at than those modern flat themes.)

Firefox 28.0 was installed, but when I launched it, I got this:

https://cjoint.com/data/MCegVyOmAKB_mint17.png

Tried installing Opera (12.16) with the Software Manager, but when I
wanted to go to a website, it said it was "unable to complete secure
transaction".

Installed Midori, and that one let me access the internet. Google worked
and even gave me search results, but the page formatting was very basic.
Yahoo and Aliexpress were accessible too, but terribly slow. There were
also a lot of elements missing on the screen, making them completely
unusable.

So it looks like there's no easy way to use older Mint versions, not on
modern machines anyway.

Re: Question

<slrnu06flj.buj.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5585&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5585

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:50:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:50 UTC