I don't want to be young again, I just don't want to get any older.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Microsoft 365

SubjectAuthor
* Microsoft 365Scott Lurndal
+- Re: Microsoft 365...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* Re: Microsoft 365Marco Moock
|`- Re: Microsoft 365Scott Lurndal
`* Re: Microsoft 365Jeff Barnett
 `* Re: Microsoft 365Paul
  +* Re: Microsoft 365...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
  |`- Re: Microsoft 365Jeff Barnett
  `- Re: Microsoft 365Jeff Barnett

1
Microsoft 365

<snbmnj$1n88$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55877&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55877

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Microsoft 365
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 22:44:21 +0200
 by: Scott Lurndal - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 20:44 UTC

I set up a Windows 10 S laptop for my sister as Windows 10 Home.
That required a (temporary) Microsoft email address.

Microsoft created it for me when I was setting it up for her.
I then asked Microsoft to remove it after I converted to Home.
They said they would do so within a month.

The laptop has Microsoft 365 1 year subscription as part of it.
She asked me if she needs it to use the Microsoft 365 that came with it.

Does she?

Re: Microsoft 365

<snc5rl$k2v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55878&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55878

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Microsoft 365
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 18:02:43 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 01:02 UTC

Scott Lurndal wrote:
> I set up a Windows 10 S laptop for my sister as Windows 10 Home.
> That required a (temporary) Microsoft email address.
>
> Microsoft created it for me when I was setting it up for her.
> I then asked Microsoft to remove it after I converted to Home.
> They said they would do so within a month.
>
> The laptop has Microsoft 365 1 year subscription as part of it.
> She asked me if she needs it to use the Microsoft 365 that came with it.
>
> Does she?

A Windows 10S device can be flipped to Windows 10 Home, after done, it
cannont revert to 10S.

Yes, the MSA is needed.

One can not remove the same Microsoft account from MSFT servers that
have an active Microsoft subscription(M365, Outlook.com no ad,
additional OneDrive storage, Skype fee type additions, etc.).

Microsoft 365 requires a sign in in M365 with the same MSA used to
purchase/sign up for the M365 subscription.
- Sign in with an MSA(the MSA used to purchase, install, and/or
activate) is necessary for activation and retained activation
- Sign in is part of full use. Without sign-in the product reverts to
no-activation features after 30 days. Every 30 days M365 activation is
verified - sign on again in M365 is necessary.

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-sign-in-works-in-microsoft-365-1d646e83-1585-4278-8daf-d4a2cc0905e0>
- Above applies to the current consumer M365 products Family(fka Home)
and Personal

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Microsoft 365

<20211121083743.4048e7b4@ryz>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55882&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55882

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 08:37:43 +0100
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 07:37 UTC

Am Sat, 20 Nov 2021 22:44:21 +0200
schrieb Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home>:

> The laptop has Microsoft 365 1 year subscription as part of it.
> She asked me if she needs it to use the Microsoft 365 that came with
> it.
>
> Does she?

Is it a normal office installation activated with a product key or are
you logged in in Office?
If your are logged in, just log off and check if the license is still
valid.

Re: Microsoft 365

<snetfp$1mvq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55896&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55896

From: sco...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 03:58:04 +0200
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 01:58 UTC

Marco Moock writes:

>> The laptop has Microsoft 365 1 year subscription as part of it.
>> She asked me if she needs it to use the Microsoft 365 that came with
>> it.
>>
>> Does she?
>
> Is it a normal office installation activated with a product key or are
> you logged in in Office?

I don't know.
It's whatever software Microsoft does with _every_ laptop they put it on.
In that respect, it's a perfectly normal setup of Windows 365.

I just don't know what "normal" is with respect to Windows 365
subscriptions.

How do they typically license the Windows 365 that comes with a typical
major manufacturer laptop for just one year anyway?

> If your are logged in, just log off and check if the license is still
> valid.

I'm now far away from that computer.
That's why I'm asking here.

It's perfectly normal situation if I only knew what normal is for Windows
365 which is a one-year subscription that comes with almost all new laptops.
1. I was on a business trip
2. The new laptop came with Windows S
3. I switched that laptop to Windows 10 Home
4. That required a temporary Microsoft password
5. I told Microsoft to remove it after I converted Windows S to Home

Then when I went home she asked me about Microsoft 365.
The question is what does a typical Windows 365 one year subscription which
comes with every typical laptop that is from the major players do to license
it?

Does that typical 1-year Windows 365 require a Microsoft login/password?

Re: Microsoft 365

<snf9l8$s4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55899&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55899

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 22:25:58 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 05:25 UTC

On 11/20/2021 1:44 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> I set up a Windows 10 S laptop for my sister as Windows 10 Home.
> That required a (temporary) Microsoft email address.
>
> Microsoft created it for me when I was setting it up for her.
> I then asked Microsoft to remove it after I converted to Home.
> They said they would do so within a month.
>
> The laptop has Microsoft 365 1 year subscription as part of it.
> She asked me if she needs it to use the Microsoft 365 that came with it.
>
> Does she?

I have a laptop that runs Win 10 Home bought to do a few applications
that sliced Win 7 out. It also comes with 365 which I am not using and
have no intentions of paying for. (Reason if anyone is interested is
it's likely, that like prior versions of Office, it is an inconsistent
load of crap.) I've had the laptop just less than a year and have
considered deleting 365 from time to time. However, I don't know whether
there are any built in dependencies on that software.

Any information about how tightly 365 is screwed into the system or what
else breaks if I hit the uninstall button would be most appreciated.

The laptop is an ASUS 15.6" VivoBook S15 S533FA Laptop (1.8 GHz Intel
Core i7-10510U Quad-Core (10th Gen) 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, Intel UHD,
Indie Black).
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Microsoft 365

<snfklv$i65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55905&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55905

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 03:33:54 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:33 UTC

On 11/22/2021 12:25 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 11/20/2021 1:44 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> I set up a Windows 10 S laptop for my sister as Windows 10 Home.
>> That required a (temporary) Microsoft email address.
>>
>> Microsoft created it for me when I was setting it up for her.
>> I then asked Microsoft to remove it after I converted to Home.
>> They said they would do so within a month.
>>
>> The laptop has Microsoft 365 1 year subscription as part of it.
>> She asked me if she needs it to use the Microsoft 365 that came with it.
>>
>> Does she?
>
> I have a laptop that runs Win 10 Home bought to do a few applications that sliced Win 7 out. It also comes with 365 which I am not using and have no intentions of paying for. (Reason if anyone is interested is it's likely, that like prior versions of Office, it is an inconsistent load of crap.) I've had the laptop just less than a year and have considered deleting 365 from time to time. However, I don't know whether there are any built in dependencies on that software.
>
> Any information about how tightly 365 is screwed into the system or what else breaks if I hit the uninstall button would be most appreciated.
>
> The laptop is an ASUS 15.6" VivoBook S15 S533FA Laptop (1.8 GHz Intel Core i7-10510U Quad-Core (10th Gen) 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, Intel UHD, Indie Black).

What possible thing, could an OS get from 365 ?
Uninstall it.

Standard method:

1) Back up hard drive fully, including any recovery partition.
2) Do naughty things to C:
3) Regrets ? Restore from backup.

Start : Run : control.exe
When "Control Panels" opens, right click the taskbar icon and
select "Pin to Taskbar" so you will have a Control Panel icon.

Open the "Programs and Features" icon there, in Control Panels.
look through the list, for an uninstaller. This handles the
Win32 content on the machine, the legacy type of executable.

The Settings wheel, might give access to Apps to be uninstalled.
But, there are also a couple Powershell commands. One of
the Powershell commands will dump all the "full package names".
The second command, you pass it a full package name, the
Powershell command will remove it.

Some Apps have the "in-Box" bit set, meaning they are
part of the OS and came on the DVD. And even if you use
nefarious means to de-assert the In-Box bit, they still
will not uninstall.

Some packages are in transition. On Linux, Firefox is both
a Snap and a Deb. On Windows, Firefox is a Win32 (mainly)
and just recently appeared as a Store App. This means
additional instructions, for people helping to remove
some flavor of it. By being a Store App, people with
Windows 10-S computers might even be able to install it.
Some day, there will be an Android version of Firefox
you can run on Windows (via WSA). Think of the... fun.

Paul

Re: Microsoft 365

<snfq3u$kmt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55909&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55909

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 03:06:52 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 10:06 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 11/22/2021 12:25 AM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> On 11/20/2021 1:44 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>>> I set up a Windows 10 S laptop for my sister as Windows 10 Home.
>>> That required a (temporary) Microsoft email address.
>>>
>>> Microsoft created it for me when I was setting it up for her.
>>> I then asked Microsoft to remove it after I converted to Home.
>>> They said they would do so within a month.
>>>
>>> The laptop has Microsoft 365 1 year subscription as part of it.
>>> She asked me if she needs it to use the Microsoft 365 that came with it.
>>>
>>> Does she?
>>
>> I have a laptop that runs Win 10 Home bought to do a few applications
>> that sliced Win 7 out. It also comes with 365 which I am not using and
>> have no intentions of paying for. (Reason if anyone is interested is
>> it's likely, that like prior versions of Office, it is an inconsistent
>> load of crap.) I've had the laptop just less than a year and have
>> considered deleting 365 from time to time. However, I don't know
>> whether there are any built in dependencies on that software.
>>
>> Any information about how tightly 365 is screwed into the system or
>> what else breaks if I hit the uninstall button would be most appreciated.
>>
>> The laptop is an ASUS 15.6" VivoBook S15 S533FA Laptop (1.8 GHz Intel
>> Core i7-10510U Quad-Core (10th Gen) 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, Intel UHD,
>> Indie Black).
>
> What possible thing, could an OS get from 365 ?
> Uninstall it.
>
> Standard method:
>
> 1) Back up hard drive fully, including any recovery partition.
> 2) Do naughty things to C:
> 3) Regrets ? Restore from backup.
>
> Start : Run : control.exe
> When "Control Panels" opens, right click the taskbar icon and
> select "Pin to Taskbar" so you will have a Control Panel icon.
>
> Open the "Programs and Features" icon there, in Control Panels.
> look through the list, for an uninstaller. This handles the
> Win32 content on the machine, the legacy type of executable.
>
> The Settings wheel, might give access to Apps to be uninstalled.
> But, there are also a couple Powershell commands. One of
> the Powershell commands will dump all the "full package names".
> The second command, you pass it a full package name, the
> Powershell command will remove it.
>
> Some Apps have the "in-Box" bit set, meaning they are
> part of the OS and came on the DVD. And even if you use
> nefarious means to de-assert the In-Box bit, they still
> will not uninstall.
>
> Some packages are in transition. On Linux, Firefox is both
> a Snap and a Deb. On Windows, Firefox is a Win32 (mainly)
> and just recently appeared as a Store App. This means
> additional instructions, for people helping to remove
> some flavor of it. By being a Store App, people with
> Windows 10-S computers might even be able to install it.
> Some day, there will be an Android version of Firefox
> you can run on Windows (via WSA). Think of the... fun.
>
>    Paul

If not installed, the OEM route by contract(since Win8.1 at the time
Win10 Release date was announce, and on Win10) is to place a 'Get
Office' item on the Start Menu. If not present, the item will be in
Programs and Features.
Find one or the other item and right click or select and choose uninstall.
If not present as above, the builder or OEM or user may have reimaged or
reset the device without the included pre-installed and trial software.
- if so, use the M365/O365/O2K19/O2K16 'Easy Fix' tool
<https://aka.ms/diag_officeuninstall>

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ
msft mvp 2007-2020

Re: Microsoft 365

<sngm32$ph0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55916&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55916

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:04:18 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:04 UTC

Thank you.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Microsoft 365

<sngm5j$ph0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=55917&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#55917

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:05:38 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:05 UTC

On 11/22/2021 3:06 AM, ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ wrote:
> [...]
>> additional instructions, for people helping to remove
>> some flavor of it. By being a Store App, people with
>> Windows 10-S computers might even be able to install it.
>> Some day, there will be an Android version of Firefox
>> you can run on Windows (via WSA). Think of the... fun.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> If not installed, the OEM route by contract(since Win8.1 at the time
> Win10 Release date was announce, and on Win10) is to place a 'Get
> Office' item on the Start Menu. If not present, the item will be in
> Programs and Features.
>  Find one or the other item and right click or select and choose
> uninstall.
> If not present as above, the builder or OEM or user may have reimaged or
> reset the device without the included pre-installed and trial software.
>  - if so, use the M365/O365/O2K19/O2K16 'Easy Fix' tool
Let's just hope it goes quietly. Thank you.
--
Jeff Barnett