From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Install.wim?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:18:06 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 20:18 UTC

What is this file and how do you use it. It is in the restore
partition of a w/7 PC I bought. The stuff I read in the net is
somewhat ambiguous. I assume it is the install file for OEM windows.
This is a Dell.

Re: Install.wim?

<tqv0k0$1cgc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5593&group=alt.windows7.general#5593

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Install.wim?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 17:59:11 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 22:59 UTC

On 1/26/2023 3:18 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> What is this file and how do you use it. It is in the restore
> partition of a w/7 PC I bought. The stuff I read in the net is
> somewhat ambiguous. I assume it is the install file for OEM windows.
> This is a Dell.

The WIM file is like a ZIP, and 7-ZIP (a modern enough version)
can open a WIM.

What 7-ZIP may not be able to open, is the encrypted
variant called an ESD.

You can stuff just about anything in a WIM, so you'll have
to check what is inside your particular one. If the file was
3.5GB, you would suspect an "installer" image. If the file was
14GB in size, it might be an "archive" image.

At one time, the OEM companies used PowerQuest images for
their archive image. But with the newer OSes shipping on OEM
machines, the companies have switched to using Microsoft software
for stuff like that.

Don't expect the Dell documentation to be explaining the "mechanism".
They'll tell you to press some F-key, to kick off a nuke and pave.

Paul

Re: Install.wim?

<gf36thtkccmlmatf0lieojrj0r3pdml9f3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5594&group=alt.windows7.general#5594

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:35:44 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 23:35 UTC

On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 17:59:11 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 1/26/2023 3:18 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> What is this file and how do you use it. It is in the restore
>> partition of a w/7 PC I bought. The stuff I read in the net is
>> somewhat ambiguous. I assume it is the install file for OEM windows.
>> This is a Dell.
>>

>The WIM file is like a ZIP, and 7-ZIP (a modern enough version)
>can open a WIM.
>
>What 7-ZIP may not be able to open, is the encrypted
>variant called an ESD.
>
>You can stuff just about anything in a WIM, so you'll have
>to check what is inside your particular one. If the file was
>3.5GB, you would suspect an "installer" image. If the file was
>14GB in size, it might be an "archive" image.
>
>At one time, the OEM companies used PowerQuest images for
>their archive image. But with the newer OSes shipping on OEM
>machines, the companies have switched to using Microsoft software
>for stuff like that.
>
>Don't expect the Dell documentation to be explaining the "mechanism".
>They'll tell you to press some F-key, to kick off a nuke and pave.
>
> Paul

OK, thanks. This is more like 3.5g so it is probably the installer.
Still not quite sure how to kick it off or what to expect.