Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology. -- R. S. Barton

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

SubjectAuthor
* Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuarySpalls Hurgenson
+- Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryPW
`* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryAnt
 +* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuarySpalls Hurgenson
 |+* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryRin Stowleigh
 ||`* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryGeeknix
 || +- Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryRin Stowleigh
 || +* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuarySpalls Hurgenson
 || |+* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryJustisaur
 || |`- Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryWerner P.
 || `- Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryWerner P.
 |+* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryJAB
 ||`* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryWerner P.
 || `- Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryJAB
 |`- Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryWerner P.
 `* Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryWerner P.
  `- Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and SanctuaryAnt

1
Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<7v6psgp7nj81s7uvobbk73vttdth4oumbk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5607&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5607

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:40:40 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 17:40 UTC

I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.

Today, we must bear under the burden of receiving:

Salt and Sanctuary
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/achievements/salt-and-sanctuary?lang=en-US

Another new one to me. Well, that's a plus. It's obviously of Indie
origins, on the other hand, which is sort of a negative. At least it
isn't too cutesty/cartoony this time. It's a side-view
action/platformer with RPG-elements... it looks sort of like it might
be another Metroidvania style of game. Apparently it has a Souls-like
level of difficulty, but reviews* are fairly positive. It's not
really my type of game, but - on the other hand - it's not entirely
outside my range of games either, so I don't feel so bad adding this
one to the library. Anyway, it looks pretty enough. I like pretty
games. ;-)

24 hours for this one until we must shoulder the weight of some other
freebie. Oh, we were born to suffer.

-----------------------------
* on Steam, because god forbid Epic let anyone but the publisher have
any say on the store-page ;-/

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<mkeqsg5p11ee1en0p1l9v5fgofhkdogure@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5609&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5609

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:52:53 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 04:52 UTC

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 12:40:40 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
>mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
>Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.
>
>Today, we must bear under the burden of receiving:
>
>Salt and Sanctuary
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/achievements/salt-and-sanctuary?lang=en-US
>
>Another new one to me. Well, that's a plus. It's obviously of Indie
>origins, on the other hand, which is sort of a negative. At least it
>isn't too cutesty/cartoony this time. It's a side-view
>action/platformer with RPG-elements... it looks sort of like it might
>be another Metroidvania style of game. Apparently it has a Souls-like
>level of difficulty, but reviews* are fairly positive. It's not
>really my type of game, but - on the other hand - it's not entirely
>outside my range of games either, so I don't feel so bad adding this
>one to the library. Anyway, it looks pretty enough. I like pretty
>games. ;-)
>
>24 hours for this one until we must shoulder the weight of some other
>freebie. Oh, we were born to suffer.
*---

I added it to my Epic library. Looks pretty good. But for a
side-scroller, I should get back to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.

I was enjoying but stopped playing it before I got to the real meat of
it with spells, etc... (typical me!).

I did wishlist Strategic Mind: The Pacific. First time I did that
with Epic. Maybe it will become a freebie someday soon. Not sure it
looks good enough to pay for.

-pw

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<J7KdnRneMroA_VD8nZ2dnUU7-QOdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5613&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5613

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 01:32:45 -0600
 by: Ant - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 07:32 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
> mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
> Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.

How can Epic afford losing money with these freebies?! ;P

> Today, we must bear under the burden of receiving:

> Salt and Sanctuary
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/achievements/salt-and-sanctuary?lang=en-US

> Another new one to me. Well, that's a plus. It's obviously of Indie
> origins, on the other hand, which is sort of a negative. At least it
> isn't too cutesty/cartoony this time. It's a side-view
> action/platformer with RPG-elements... it looks sort of like it might
> be another Metroidvania style of game. Apparently it has a Souls-like
> level of difficulty, but reviews* are fairly positive. It's not
> really my type of game, but - on the other hand - it's not entirely
> outside my range of games either, so I don't feel so bad adding this
> one to the library. Anyway, it looks pretty enough. I like pretty
> games. ;-)

> 24 hours for this one until we must shoulder the weight of some other
> freebie. Oh, we were born to suffer.

I took it! How many more left for daily freebies? Until the end of this
crazy year?
--
BUSY, cold, wet, 2.5?" rain storm, loco, colony, works, bodies, life, medias, etc. again. RIP, John Madden 2. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<6dqrsglrtg2jtefc4s94ikb66iu55spfsl@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5624&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5624

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 12:27:44 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 17:27 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 01:32:45 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
>> mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
>> Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.
>
>How can Epic afford losing money with these freebies?! ;P

In a word: Fortnite. That game almost single-handedly subsidizes
everything Epic does, from game development to all these freebies to
paying publishers to be exclusive to Epic.

But Epic is well aware that - though they are making money
hand-over-fist now - eventually the Fortnite money-train is gonna
grind to a halt. That is why they are pushing so hard to become a
'destination' for gamers with the creation of its Epic Games store,
and essentially 'bribing' gamers to frequently visit it. Once people
have a huge library of games on Epic, it will make transitioning away
from Steam to Epic as their primary launcher that much easier, and
once people make that transition

That's the goal, anyway. Whether it will work out that way is still up
in the air. Personally, I'm resisting because Epic's client still
lacks a lot of features (although they FINALLY have a shopping cart!),
and because Epic's entire attitude is rather predatory. But its gained
a lot of customers thanks to these freebies (and because the Epic
launcher is so tightly connected to Fortnite) so it may work out the
way Epic hopes.

>I took it! How many more left for daily freebies? Until the end of this
>crazy year?

Today (December 30th) is, I believe, the last day of their Christmas
give-aways. After that we'll just have to deal with only getting free
games once a week again. But they're going out with a bang.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<pfsrsgls2qsdff751eht2rvpn3b3b2ireg@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5626&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5626

From: rstowle...@x-nospam-x.com (Rin Stowleigh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:10:36 -0500
 by: Rin Stowleigh - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 18:10 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 12:27:44 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 01:32:45 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
>>> mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
>>> Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.
>>
>>How can Epic afford losing money with these freebies?! ;P
>
>In a word: Fortnite. That game almost single-handedly subsidizes
>everything Epic does, from game development to all these freebies to
>paying publishers to be exclusive to Epic.
>
>But Epic is well aware that - though they are making money
>hand-over-fist now - eventually the Fortnite money-train is gonna
>grind to a halt. That is why they are pushing so hard to become a
>'destination' for gamers with the creation of its Epic Games store,
>and essentially 'bribing' gamers to frequently visit it. Once people
>have a huge library of games on Epic, it will make transitioning away
>from Steam to Epic as their primary launcher that much easier, and
>once people make that transition
>
>That's the goal, anyway. Whether it will work out that way is still up
>in the air.

I wonder if the games store concept is really the end game for them
though. On one hand, for a company that has figured out how to
develop games that are successful at generating ongoing revenue, I can
see how NOT having a game store becomes detrimental. The costs
involved in developing a store start to pay for themselves at a
certain scale, no doubt, and paying 30% or whatever to the landlord
isn't fun... so in that sense it is understandable that so many of
these companies decided they need a way to reduce their dependency on
Steam.

But the barrier to entry for an online software store isn't
particularly high. I say this because I see crap-tons of developers
in the audio software space doing this. Everything from very small
time sound designers (guys who make a $10-20 patch bank that sells
maybe a few hundred copies) that apparently are able to set up online
stores very quickly, to vendors of virtual instruments who already
have their own cloud authentication client-downloader and updater,
online store, etc. I know there is a bit more to something like the
Steam client than this, but most of the core elements are there.

What this means is that the long-term future just looks like a bunch
of fragmented stores for each game developer that have their own
client, etc. Struggling to be "the one everyone uses" among the
competitors doesn't seem like a wise investment to me.

Yes, I get that there is still the need to promote one's store to be
sure there is enough engagement to bring them back to look at future
titles or expansions etc., so in light of the considerations I've
mentioned, I do see the value in the store and why Epic considers it
important.... I cannot imagine it as the end game, or that their long
term business model is to sustain based on publishing fees (... I
could be wrong but I think this is what you suggested).

With the success of Fortnite, and keeping in mind that -- as you said
-- it can't last forever, Epic's best long term business strategy
would be making sure they fully understand the formula that makes
Fortnite such a success (I don't know what that is, since I don't play
it), and then make sure they can repeat that successful formula with
another future title, and have that title developed and ready to play
when the shoe drops.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<slrnsstclp.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5647&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5647

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 07:35:21 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 07:35 UTC

On 2021-12-30, Rin Stowleigh <rstowleigh@x-nospam-x.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 12:27:44 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
><spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>How can Epic afford losing money with these freebies?! ;P
>>
>>In a word: Fortnite. That game almost single-handedly subsidizes
>>everything Epic does, from game development to all these freebies to
>>paying publishers to be exclusive to Epic.
>>
>>But Epic is well aware that - though they are making money
>>hand-over-fist now - eventually the Fortnite money-train is gonna
>>grind to a halt. That is why they are pushing so hard to become a
>>'destination' for gamers with the creation of its Epic Games store,
>>and essentially 'bribing' gamers to frequently visit it. Once people
>>have a huge library of games on Epic, it will make transitioning away
>>from Steam to Epic as their primary launcher that much easier, and
>>once people make that transition
>>
>>That's the goal, anyway. Whether it will work out that way is still up
>>in the air.
>
> I wonder if the games store concept is really the end game for them
> though. On one hand, for a company that has figured out how to
> develop games that are successful at generating ongoing revenue, I can
> see how NOT having a game store becomes detrimental. The costs
> involved in developing a store start to pay for themselves at a
> certain scale, no doubt, and paying 30% or whatever to the landlord
> isn't fun... so in that sense it is understandable that so many of
> these companies decided they need a way to reduce their dependency on
> Steam.

<snip informative post>

> With the success of Fortnite, and keeping in mind that -- as you said
> -- it can't last forever, Epic's best long term business strategy
> would be making sure they fully understand the formula that makes
> Fortnite such a success (I don't know what that is, since I don't play
> it), and then make sure they can repeat that successful formula with
> another future title, and have that title developed and ready to play
> when the shoe drops.

Thanks for the post. Is there a negative aspect in having many
launchers? As long as they're free I don't mind downloading them to get
access to a game I want that happens to be only on that platform.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<sqmjgj$2s5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5649&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5649

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 09:45:53 +0000
 by: JAB - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 09:45 UTC

On 30/12/2021 17:27, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 01:32:45 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
>>> mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
>>> Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.
>>
>> How can Epic afford losing money with these freebies?! ;P
>
> In a word: Fortnite. That game almost single-handedly subsidizes
> everything Epic does, from game development to all these freebies to
> paying publishers to be exclusive to Epic.
>
> But Epic is well aware that - though they are making money
> hand-over-fist now - eventually the Fortnite money-train is gonna
> grind to a halt. That is why they are pushing so hard to become a
> 'destination' for gamers with the creation of its Epic Games store,
> and essentially 'bribing' gamers to frequently visit it. Once people
> have a huge library of games on Epic, it will make transitioning away
> from Steam to Epic as their primary launcher that much easier, and
> once people make that transition
>
> That's the goal, anyway. Whether it will work out that way is still up
> in the air. Personally, I'm resisting because Epic's client still
> lacks a lot of features (although they FINALLY have a shopping cart!),
> and because Epic's entire attitude is rather predatory. But its gained
> a lot of customers thanks to these freebies (and because the Epic
> launcher is so tightly connected to Fortnite) so it may work out the
> way Epic hopes.

You can certainly see why Epic would be interested in trying to create a
more reliable revenue stream and having a rival to Steam would do that.
As you say Fortnite has made them, and continues to make them, a large
pile of cash. Games as a service are already a step up from the normal
give us some money and we'll give you a game but it won't last for ever
and I doubt they'll be able to repeat the trick.

I look at World of Tanks which although past its peak is still very
popular in Europe and Russia but Wargaming have never have the same
level of success (by a long margin) with their later games World of
Planes and World of Warships. They also never manage to get a big
playerbase in the US and they almost bribe people to continue to play on
that server by giving them lots of free stuff.

Personally I'm not sure I like the idea of Epic becoming a big player as
I just don't trust them not to abuse their position.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<p0ausgpul8r8fog42k8c913p5h5gfmola1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5655&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5655

From: rstowle...@x-nospam-x.com (Rin Stowleigh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:13:46 -0500
 by: Rin Stowleigh - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:13 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 07:35:21 GMT, Geeknix
<usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the post. Is there a negative aspect in having many
>launchers? As long as they're free I don't mind downloading them to get
>access to a game I want that happens to be only on that platform.

There are probably as many pros as cons to it, and the positive or
negative value of each dependent on individual perspective.

For me, having lots of stores isn't really a good thing but its not
the end of the world either.

I feel that modern software development trends such as CI/CD
(continuous integration&deployment) has encouraged an ecosystem where,
quite frankly, shit just updates way too frequently. What this means
is that most of the software I own is now constantly either updating
shit in the background, nagging me about other updates I need to
apply, or sending me an email notifying me of all of the great bug
fixes in the latest update, and this happens over a half-dozen or more
computers and mobile devices not including my work computers. It has
led to this whole "forever in early access" syndrome where there is no
pressure to properly test software before it ever reaches the
consumer, because its too easy to stream patches down constantly.

It's far from a game-industry problem, but what it means (to me) in
terms of game stores is that I can't just load the Steam client, let
it run in the background and be certain all my games are up to date
the next time I feel like playing a title, I have to deal with
settings and run state across a bunch of different game clients, and
if I feel like jumping into, for example a game of COD Warzone for 30
mins or so, the opportunities to do so are probably forgone unless I
remembered to start the Activision client 30 mins before the time I
actually wanted to start the game, so that it can load its updates for
the client, for the game itself, optimize the shaders after the new
updates, yada yada yada. It's all just become a big fucking time
sink.

In many cases I escape to my music studio room to get away from all of
the disappointments and frustration that exist in modern gaming, but
sadly, Update-Overload Syndrome (tm) is endemic and affects everything
including the operating systems (regardless of vendor) themselves.

There may be some folks that enjoy running a gazillion different
authentication clients or find more positive in it than I do. They
may be the same people that find value in applying pink camouflauge to
their guns, and engaging in other silly cosmetic lootbox rituals...
but I 've never been able to wrap my head around what's fun about that
either.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<h8ausglhjfl924doptf3gvqlofhu1nm7m8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5656&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5656

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:15:47 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:15 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 07:35:21 GMT, Geeknix
<usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the post. Is there a negative aspect in having many
>launchers? As long as they're free I don't mind downloading them to get
>access to a game I want that happens to be only on that platform.

On a technical front? No, not really. Obviously they all consume a bit
of disk space and - if you have them all running all the time -
they're using some RAM and CPU resources, but modern computers are so
over-specced that it's not really an issue.

On a personal front, it depends. You need to keep track of (and keep
secure) multiple accounts. You're exchanging some of your privacy for
the use of those services. It makes matchmaking between friends a bit
trickier (e.g., Bob has GTA5 on Steam, Alice has it on Epic, you have
it on the Rockstar client; how do you communicate between the three of
you?). As your library grows larger, there is also an increasing
chance of purchasing a game on one client that you've forgotten you
already own on another (e.g., "Oooh, Call of Duty XXXVII is on sale on
Steam, I don't think I've played that one", you say, it having
completely slipped your mind that it was a freebie on Epic because you
almost never open that client). Heck, just shopping for new games can
be annoying because you need to check multiple store-fronts to find
the best deal.

As mentioned in another thread, I've somewhat solved this issue by
concatenating my various libraries into a mega-list using Playnite
(GOG Galaxy is another, albeit not as full-featured, option). I also
have - finally - decided I am just going to avoid any new games that
require a separate client of their own. For instance, I've more or
less avoided new Bethesda games that require me to install their
client. Fortunately, "Doom Eternal" let me bypass their client
requirements by launching the game's executable directly, but should
that option no longer be available, I'll just skip the game. Ten
store-fronts* is enough for me. Where your limits lie are entirely up
to you. ;-)

---------------------
* Not including Playnite, which hasn't got a store, or GeForce Now,
which is a streaming platform, or Twitch, which has been deprecated as
a game's launcher. Or any of the others I've an account with but
forgotten about ;-)

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<b35d652d-cc5b-473f-9fb7-41ae930064e9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5664&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5664

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 19:10:31 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 03:10 UTC

On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 8:16:04 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 07:35:21 GMT, Geeknix
> <use...@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:

> On a personal front, it depends. You need to keep track of (and keep
> secure) multiple accounts. You're exchanging some of your privacy for
> the use of those services. It makes matchmaking between friends a bit
> trickier (e.g., Bob has GTA5 on Steam, Alice has it on Epic, you have
> it on the Rockstar client; how do you communicate between the three of
> you?). As your library grows larger, there is also an increasing
> chance of purchasing a game on one client that you've forgotten you
> already own on another (e.g., "Oooh, Call of Duty XXXVII is on sale on
> Steam, I don't think I've played that one", you say, it having
> completely slipped your mind that it was a freebie on Epic because you
> almost never open that client). Heck, just shopping for new games can
> be annoying because you need to check multiple store-fronts to find
> the best deal.

It seems like a lot of them are tying their own games to their storefront.
You can buy some on Steam, but you still have to launch their storefront
app to launch the game. Which enough of the time I find that annoying
enough to not bother.

- Justisaur

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<-42dnRsAx9FaWlL8nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5666&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5666

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 21:17:27 -0600
 by: Ant - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 03:17 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 8:16:04 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 07:35:21 GMT, Geeknix
> > <use...@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:

> > On a personal front, it depends. You need to keep track of (and keep
> > secure) multiple accounts. You're exchanging some of your privacy for
> > the use of those services. It makes matchmaking between friends a bit
> > trickier (e.g., Bob has GTA5 on Steam, Alice has it on Epic, you have
> > it on the Rockstar client; how do you communicate between the three of
> > you?). As your library grows larger, there is also an increasing
> > chance of purchasing a game on one client that you've forgotten you
> > already own on another (e.g., "Oooh, Call of Duty XXXVII is on sale on
> > Steam, I don't think I've played that one", you say, it having
> > completely slipped your mind that it was a freebie on Epic because you
> > almost never open that client). Heck, just shopping for new games can
> > be annoying because you need to check multiple store-fronts to find
> > the best deal.
> >

> It seems like a lot of them are tying their own games to their storefront.
> You can buy some on Steam, but you still have to launch their storefront
> app to launch the game. Which enough of the time I find that annoying
> enough to not bother.

Very annoying! Same with their DRM craps.
--
Go away 2021. 2022, please be better! :) NY (Eve)! 2.5-<3" rain fell over the last 2 days. Dang new issues! RIP, Betty White! 99?! :( More like rad 80 2 me.
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<sqok30$uq9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5667&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5667

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 20:08:03 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 04:08 UTC

On 12/31/2021 7:17 PM, Ant wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 8:16:04 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 07:35:21 GMT, Geeknix
>>> <use...@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>
>>> On a personal front, it depends. You need to keep track of (and keep
>>> secure) multiple accounts. You're exchanging some of your privacy for
>>> the use of those services. It makes matchmaking between friends a bit
>>> trickier (e.g., Bob has GTA5 on Steam, Alice has it on Epic, you have
>>> it on the Rockstar client; how do you communicate between the three of
>>> you?). As your library grows larger, there is also an increasing
>>> chance of purchasing a game on one client that you've forgotten you
>>> already own on another (e.g., "Oooh, Call of Duty XXXVII is on sale on
>>> Steam, I don't think I've played that one", you say, it having
>>> completely slipped your mind that it was a freebie on Epic because you
>>> almost never open that client). Heck, just shopping for new games can
>>> be annoying because you need to check multiple store-fronts to find
>>> the best deal.
>>>

>> It seems like a lot of them are tying their own games to their storefront.
>> You can buy some on Steam, but you still have to launch their storefront
>> app to launch the game. Which enough of the time I find that annoying
>> enough to not bother.
>
> Very annoying! Same with their DRM craps.

It _IS_ DRM crap, just the latest version.

dirty old man.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<9PKdnVGDeKmYe1L8nZ2dnUU7-UWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5670&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5670

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
References: <7v6psgp7nj81s7uvobbk73vttdth4oumbk@4ax.com> <J7KdnRneMroA_VD8nZ2dnUU7-QOdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <6dqrsglrtg2jtefc4s94ikb66iu55spfsl@4ax.com> <pfsrsgls2qsdff751eht2rvpn3b3b2ireg@4ax.com> <slrnsstclp.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net> <h8ausglhjfl924doptf3gvqlofhu1nm7m8@4ax.com> <b35d652d-cc5b-473f-9fb7-41ae930064e9n@googlegroups.com> <-42dnRsAx9FaWlL8nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sqok30$uq9$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:26:29 -0600
 by: Ant - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 05:26 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> > Very annoying! Same with their DRM craps.

> It _IS_ DRM crap, just the latest version.

I miss the old days. :(
--
Go away 2021. 2022, please be better! :) NY (Eve)! 2.5-<3" rain fell over the last 2 days. Dang new issues! RIP, Betty White! 99?! :( More like rad 80 2 me.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<hen0tg19knnlng26l0in9pviddu2aj9nsf@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5671&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5671

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
References: <7v6psgp7nj81s7uvobbk73vttdth4oumbk@4ax.com> <J7KdnRneMroA_VD8nZ2dnUU7-QOdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <6dqrsglrtg2jtefc4s94ikb66iu55spfsl@4ax.com> <pfsrsgls2qsdff751eht2rvpn3b3b2ireg@4ax.com> <slrnsstclp.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net> <h8ausglhjfl924doptf3gvqlofhu1nm7m8@4ax.com> <b35d652d-cc5b-473f-9fb7-41ae930064e9n@googlegroups.com> <-42dnRsAx9FaWlL8nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sqok30$uq9$1@dont-email.me> <9PKdnVGDeKmYe1L8nZ2dnUU7-UWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 09:11:57 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 14:11 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:26:29 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>I miss the old days. :(

Not me. I remember the crap I had to do to get games running. I do not
want to go back to the days of autoexec.bat and config.sys, moving
jumpers on my sound card, and disks that give me data errors part way
through an installation. No thank you.

The best time to be a PC gamer is right now. Even if you only like
older games, you can play them today without dealing with the nonsense
I mentioned above.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<sqq5aa$p4o$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5674&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5674

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:08:09 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:08 UTC

Am 30.12.21 um 08:32 schrieb Ant:
> Spalls Hurgenson<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
>> mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
>> Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.
> How can Epic afford losing money with these freebies?! ;P

I dont care as long as they buy timed exclusives off the market.
I wont spend a single dime in their store as long as they keep up this
practice.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<sqq5lc$sja$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5675&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5675

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:14:03 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:14 UTC

Am 30.12.21 um 18:27 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> creation of its Epic Games store,
> and essentially 'bribing' gamers to frequently visit it.
Wont help them in my case. I am on the verge of buying a Steam deck and
atm, I consider abandoning non steam stores altogether for exactly that
reason. Thing is most if not all of my games run in Linux (which is the
host os of the deck) out of the box without a single hitch. I have been
testing now for weeks on Manjaro Linux which is the closest you can have
to the deck Linux atm. And literally every single steam gamre ran
without a hitch. When it comes to alternative stores oh well...

you have to install via lutris either the game or store, then you have
to locate it and add it to the steam ui.
Epic simply is not interested into linux gaming, but I give them merits
their store runs, Amazon games does not even do that, no matter how hard
I try. The same goes for GOG it runs, via wine/Lutris and then you have
to locate the game and add it to steam.
This add to steam is not as seamless as it is in windows, because the
game is hosted in a totally different wine bottle, so it is hit and miss
and sometimes needs additional hoops.

So from a console experience which the deck gives you while you still
have a desktop fallback, it probably is easier simply to buy the game
iun Steam and and nowhere else. There you buy the game after checking
out its "run" status and you are set. It is as seamless as it can be,.

Unless the other stores make it easier to add their games on Linux and
run them on Linux it will stay like that.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<sqq5pm$sja$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5676&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5676

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:16:22 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:16 UTC

Am 31.12.21 um 10:45 schrieb JAB:
> I look at World of Tanks which although past its peak is still very
> popular in Europe and Russia
World of Tanks has a totally different demographic, it is played by
older people who usually stick around longer, while Fortnite was played
by tons of kiddies. If I ask my kids they told me that literally
everyone they know has moved on from Fortnite and does something else.
But epics second constant revenue is their engine, do not underestimate
the revenue from there. Fortnite alrealy is moving into the yesterdays
fad area.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<sqq614$sja$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5677&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5677

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:20:20 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:20 UTC

Am 31.12.21 um 08:35 schrieb Geeknix:
> Thanks for the post. Is there a negative aspect in having many
> launchers? As long as they're free I don't mind downloading them to get
> access to a game I want that happens to be only on that platform.
On windows not, on Linux definitely... Only Steam has a native windows
launcher, the others are hit and miss and have in mind, that if you have
to start a game or a bunch of games through a windows based launcher,
everything must run within the same wine bottle.
So that means some games which would even run will not run because the
launcher runs in a different wine version than the game would run.
This makes Steam as games launcher in Linux so excellent, you can chose
the wine/proton version depending on the game.
This did not used to be a huge problem, but if you want to move to Steam
deck I can see this becoming a problem for Deck owners who want to use
alternative launchers!

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<sqq64v$sja$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5678&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5678

From: wer...@gmx.at (Werner P.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 19:22:23 +0100
 by: Werner P. - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 18:22 UTC

Am 31.12.21 um 17:15 schrieb Spalls Hurgenson:
> Doom Eternal" let me bypass their client
> requirements by launching the game's executable directly, but should
> that option no longer be available
Actually Ubisoft is the worst offender in this area, you basically only
can start one of their games by starting uplay and providing a numeric
game id as parameter. No direct exe start nothing.
The funny thing is that you literally have to dig the game id out of the
starters installed in windows.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<k4a2tglrqarb9l02qubq978vgjvrn6r1vm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5690&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5690

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
References: <J7KdnRneMroA_VD8nZ2dnUU7-QOdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <6dqrsglrtg2jtefc4s94ikb66iu55spfsl@4ax.com> <pfsrsgls2qsdff751eht2rvpn3b3b2ireg@4ax.com> <slrnsstclp.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net> <h8ausglhjfl924doptf3gvqlofhu1nm7m8@4ax.com> <b35d652d-cc5b-473f-9fb7-41ae930064e9n@googlegroups.com> <-42dnRsAx9FaWlL8nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sqok30$uq9$1@dont-email.me> <9PKdnVGDeKmYe1L8nZ2dnUU7-UWdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <hen0tg19knnlng26l0in9pviddu2aj9nsf@4ax.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 21:22:56 -0700
 by: PW - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 04:22 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 09:11:57 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:26:29 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>
>>I miss the old days. :(
>
>Not me. I remember the crap I had to do to get games running. I do not
>want to go back to the days of autoexec.bat and config.sys, moving
>jumpers on my sound card, and disks that give me data errors part way
>through an installation. No thank you.
>
>The best time to be a PC gamer is right now. Even if you only like
>older games, you can play them today without dealing with the nonsense
>I mentioned above.

*---

Right on Mike S!!

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<FfudnVE7Y4SFqk_8nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5695&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5695

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
References: <7v6psgp7nj81s7uvobbk73vttdth4oumbk@4ax.com> <6dqrsglrtg2jtefc4s94ikb66iu55spfsl@4ax.com> <pfsrsgls2qsdff751eht2rvpn3b3b2ireg@4ax.com> <slrnsstclp.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net> <h8ausglhjfl924doptf3gvqlofhu1nm7m8@4ax.com> <b35d652d-cc5b-473f-9fb7-41ae930064e9n@googlegroups.com> <-42dnRsAx9FaWlL8nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sqok30$uq9$1@dont-email.me> <9PKdnVGDeKmYe1L8nZ2dnUU7-UWdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <hen0tg19knnlng26l0in9pviddu2aj9nsf@4ax.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 17:36:56 -0600
 by: Ant - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 23:36 UTC

Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:26:29 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> >I miss the old days. :(

> Not me. I remember the crap I had to do to get games running. I do not
> want to go back to the days of autoexec.bat and config.sys, moving
> jumpers on my sound card, and disks that give me data errors part way
> through an installation. No thank you.

Yeah, that can be annoying BUT I had so much free time back then so it
was fun! I hate doing those things these days as an old fart. :(

> The best time to be a PC gamer is right now. Even if you only like
> older games, you can play them today without dealing with the nonsense
> I mentioned above.

True, but QEMM386, EMM386, multi-configs, etc. ;)
--
:) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2! :) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2! :) BD 2 Diablo game that turned 25 on eve!
| |o o| |

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<FfudnVA7Y4RXqk_8nZ2dnUU7-I2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5696&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5696

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2022 17:39:54 -0600
 by: Ant - Sun, 2 Jan 2022 23:39 UTC

Werner P. <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:
> Am 30.12.21 um 08:32 schrieb Ant:
> > Spalls Hurgenson<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I dunno, is it uncouth to be tired of Epic's continued generosity? I
> >> mean, every day I gotta get a new game! The rudeness of these people!
> >> Well, I suppose I'll just have to grin and bear it.
> > How can Epic afford losing money with these freebies?! ;P
> >

> I dont care as long as they buy timed exclusives off the market.
> I wont spend a single dime in their store as long as they keep up this
> practice.

Me too. I only played its free trial and weekend games so far from Epic.
--
:) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2! :) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2! :) BD 2 Diablo game that turned 25 on eve!
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<squn02$jj9$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5700&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5700

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:34:25 +0000
 by: JAB - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 11:34 UTC

On 01/01/2022 18:16, Werner P. wrote:
> Am 31.12.21 um 10:45 schrieb JAB:
>> I look at World of Tanks which although past its peak is still very
>> popular in Europe and Russia
> World of Tanks has a totally different demographic, it is played by
> older people who usually stick around longer, while Fortnite was played
> by tons of kiddies. If I ask my kids they told me that literally
> everyone they know has moved on from Fortnite and does something else.
> But epics second constant revenue is their engine, do not underestimate
> the revenue from there. Fortnite alrealy is moving into the yesterdays
> fad area.

The point I was making about WoT was that Wargaming have tried twice to
repeat the formula that made it a success and those other games aren't
flops but that are no where near as successful.

Re: Free Game (still?): Salt and Sanctuary

<qhl6tgtnbm274opff70vc91vlqtv54ikjt@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5710&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5710

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 15:08:03 -0500
References: <6dqrsglrtg2jtefc4s94ikb66iu55spfsl@4ax.com> <pfsrsgls2qsdff751eht2rvpn3b3b2ireg@4ax.com> <slrnsstclp.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net> <h8ausglhjfl924doptf3gvqlofhu1nm7m8@4ax.com> <b35d652d-cc5b-473f-9fb7-41ae930064e9n@googlegroups.com> <-42dnRsAx9FaWlL8nZ2dnUU7-Y2dnZ2d@earthlink.com> <sqok30$uq9$1@dont-email.me> <9PKdnVGDeKmYe1L8nZ2dnUU7-UWdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <hen0tg19knnlng26l0in9pviddu2aj9nsf@4ax.com> <k4a2tglrqarb9l02qubq978vgjvrn6r1vm@4ax.com>
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:08 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 21:22:56 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jan 2022 09:11:57 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:26:29 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>>
>>>I miss the old days. :(
>>
>>Not me. I remember the crap I had to do to get games running. I do not
>>want to go back to the days of autoexec.bat and config.sys, moving
>>jumpers on my sound card, and disks that give me data errors part way
>>through an installation. No thank you.
>>
>>The best time to be a PC gamer is right now. Even if you only like
>>older games, you can play them today without dealing with the nonsense
>>I mentioned above.
>

>*---
>
>Right on Mike S!!

I generally agree, although I sort of liked the nonsense of getting
games to run in earlier days (and not just the messy bits of DOS, but
the hardware configuration issues of Win9x and - to some degree - the
software config issues of WinXP).

But PC gaming these days is so simple, and so expansive in its
breadth. Except for a handful of console exclusives - usually those
developed directly by the console manufacturers to promote their
platforms - pretty much every modern game is on the PC. PCs match
consoles in performance and visuals, and can easily trounce them if
money isn't an issue. Their backwards compatibility is legendary, even
going so far as to be able to run games on systems far outside their
original ecosystem thanks to robust emulation options. And getting
games to run on PCs is - as noted - easier than ever.

But what do I know; I'm a self-admitted PC fanboy so of course I think
my platform of choice is the best. I'm sure PS5 fanboys (the six of
them that have managed to actually find one in stores) are quite proud
of their devices too ;-)