From: always.l...@message.header (John Doe)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: OT: Google Chrome bookmark, the longest string ever?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 14:44:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Doe - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 14:44 UTC

What on Earth could require such an enormous string? This monster is from
a Google Chrome bookmark...

Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EANKBAhBGAFQ3QhYiCRgoDZoAXAAeACAAb4DiAHxBJIBBzAuMS40LTGYAQCgAQKgAQHAAQE

Long enough to identify all atoms in the universe?

Are there any HTML characters, like a delimiter, in there?

Re: OT: Google Chrome bookmark, the longest string ever?

<so8m4o$8oj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56115&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56115

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:32:00 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 20:32 UTC

On 12/1/2021 9:44 AM, John Doe wrote:
> What on Earth could require such an enormous string? This monster is from
> a Google Chrome bookmark...
>
> Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EANKBAhBGAFQ3QhYiCRgoDZoAXAAeACAAb4DiAHxBJIBBzAuMS40LTGYAQCgAQKgAQHAAQE
>
> Long enough to identify all atoms in the universe?
>
> Are there any HTML characters, like a delimiter, in there?

Is the above line intended to be a filename, or what ?

Where exactly did that string sprout from ? Some browser
caches use pretty long filename strings now, to prevent
name collisions.

Chromium has source.

Name: chromium-main.zip
Size: 1,661,667,995 bytes (1584 MiB)
SHA1: 95F2B0074F71A8909FADBE8838C1DD73A01832B8

You need the "right" browser, to get the green "Code" button
to be populated with options such as "ZIP download". The loading
wheel spins forever, when some browsers are used.

https://github.com/chromium/chromium

I've never really managed to find a website that will "auto-decode"
strings like your sample and indicate the encoding method used.
The source code to Chromium might give some hint.

Chrome is Chromium plus Google specifics, and for things
like bookmarks, there shouldn't be too much need for custom
Google code in that section.

Paul

Re: OT: Google Chrome bookmark, the longest string ever?

<so8n0t$pgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56116&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56116

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:47:32 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 20:47 UTC

"Paul" <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote

Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EANKBAhBGAFQ3QhYiCRgoDZoAXAAeACAAb4DiAHxBJIBBzAuMS40LTGYAQCgAQKgAQHAAQE

| I've never really managed to find a website that will "auto-decode"
| strings like your sample and indicate the encoding method used.

I've been curious about this for a long time. A lot of links pack in
extra ID strings, sometimes very long. In some cases I've found
that they're base-64 encoding personal info. In most cases I can't
find anything recognizable. Decoding this one as base-64 yields
a string that includes "gws-wiz" but the rest would need a key to
decode. It's not obvious. And decoding as ASCII/ANSI also yields
junk such as characters 0 and 1. So if it is base-64 then the original
data would have to be something like a mixed data structure and
not a string.