Obviously I was either onto something, or on something. -- Larry Wall on the creation of Perl

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: regarding EOL Mint

SubjectAuthor
* regarding EOL MintNic
+* Re: regarding EOL MintMike Easter
|`* Re: regarding EOL MintNic
| `* Re: regarding EOL MintMike Easter
|  `- Re: regarding EOL MintNic
`* Re: regarding EOL MintBig Al
 `* Re: regarding EOL MintNic
  `* Re: regarding EOL MintDan Purgert
   +- Re: regarding EOL MintNic
   `- Re: regarding EOL MintBig Al

1
regarding EOL Mint

<c7rNL.64882$LAYb.4694@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5614&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5614

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Subject: regarding EOL Mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 14:26:00 -0500
 by: Nic - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 19:26 UTC

https://endoflife.software/operating-systems/linux/linux-mint

What does it mean when an EOL is followed LTS? I see Mint 19.3 has an
LTS (long term support)

--
Pity the fool who followed his GPS over the cliff

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<k6mv5lFd1l7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5615&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5615

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: regarding EOL Mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 12:01:56 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 20:01 UTC

Nic wrote:
> What does it mean when an EOL is followed LTS? I see Mint 19.3 has an
> LTS (long term support)

All of the LM/s these days are LTS in that they are based on a LTS
Ubuntu's repo/s. Ubuntu releases LTS v/s and non-LTS. Mint doesn't
base its releases on the Ub non-LTS now. In the case of Ub & Mint,
'conventional' LTS means 5 y. But, even 5 y has an EOL.

Early LM/s had a /much/ shorter support lifespan. Then LM 13 off Ub
12.04 had 5 y LTS and the next LM to have that was LM 17 off Ub 14.04
and it has been that way since.

The LMDE/s are a different story.

--
Mike Easter

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<tu5kb5$pga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5616&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5616

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 16:01:25 -0500
 by: Big Al - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:01 UTC

On 3/6/23 14:26, this is what Nic wrote:
> https://endoflife.software/operating-systems/linux/linux-mint
>
> What does it mean when an EOL is followed LTS? I see Mint 19.3 has an LTS (long term support)

Would this help?
https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

As with and EOL software like Windows 7, it hit EOL a long time ago, but the software still works, you just don't get
updates anymore. So your security starts going downhill.
--
Al

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<20230306162950.2b5927228e2aefde9c3fa597@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5617&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5617

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 16:29:50 -0500
 by: Nic - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:29 UTC

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 16:01:25 -0500
Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 3/6/23 14:26, this is what Nic wrote:
> > https://endoflife.software/operating-systems/linux/linux-mint
> >
> > What does it mean when an EOL is followed LTS? I see Mint 19.3 has an LTS (long term support)
> >
> Would this help?
> https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php
>
> As with and EOL software like Windows 7, it hit EOL a long time ago, but the software still works, you just don't get
> updates anymore. So your security starts going downhill.
> --
> Al

I understand and thanks for the link, it just really bothers me that once you get your computing device working like you want it, and you have put all that work towards fine tuning it, then you either update or are forced to upgrade and now you have a whole new set of problems to work out. This may suit some people who like to tinker but not those who enjoy a pleasant computing continuity of experience. As you can see TB has disappointed me again, that is why I have resent this reply/followup to you with Sylpheed.

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<20230306163147.06a7defa8f4b590fd6796531@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5618&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5618

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 16:31:47 -0500
 by: Nic - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:31 UTC

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 12:01:56 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Nic wrote:
> > What does it mean when an EOL is followed LTS? I see Mint 19.3 has an
> > LTS (long term support)
>
> All of the LM/s these days are LTS in that they are based on a LTS
> Ubuntu's repo/s. Ubuntu releases LTS v/s and non-LTS. Mint doesn't
> base its releases on the Ub non-LTS now. In the case of Ub & Mint,
> 'conventional' LTS means 5 y. But, even 5 y has an EOL.
>
> Early LM/s had a /much/ shorter support lifespan. Then LM 13 off Ub
> 12.04 had 5 y LTS and the next LM to have that was LM 17 off Ub 14.04
> and it has been that way since.
>
> The LMDE/s are a different story.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I answered you but TB has failed me again. This is what I have in my Sent/Folder
"As you can guess I am not one of those people who updates for the sake of updates. I wonder if the Debian Mint has a longer survival rate than the way Mint has chosen to go. I sure wish there was a version with the Cinnamon desktop that was really LTS.
"

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<k6n5taFe12kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5619&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5619

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 13:56:56 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:56 UTC

Nic wrote:
> "As you can guess I am not one of those people who updates for the
> sake of updates. I wonder if the Debian Mint has a longer survival
> rate than the way Mint has chosen to go. I sure wish there was a
> version with the Cinnamon desktop that was really LTS. "

From my observations, more so of the reports of others than my own
experience, LM is 'very good' about how it handles the update and
upgrade process.

I don't have personal experience w/ Timeshift but I think the solution
which would appeal the most to me if I were using an installed Mint
would be:

- have a 'good' backup strategy which suited me and was easy enough in
case of some kind of catastrophe, hdd or otherwise (such as upgrade problem)
- keep my installed Mint up-to-date w/ 'appropriate' upgrades of
software and system and security. I would NOT upgrade 'everything' but
do it selectively; particularly system/security; particularly NOT
firefox and Tb 'routinely' but 'circumspectly'
- when my version came to its EOL, such as the approaching 19.3, I
would make very sure that my backup strategy was is excellent shape and
use the specific Mint tool for upgrading to 20, which v was released
almost 2 y ago, and I might've upgraded before this
- one problem w/ the upgrade, it means that the default Ffx and Tb v/s
included w/ the default newer system will be 'forced' on me
- the problem w/ browser updates/upgrades is that they are both very
often essential and they are very often 'disruptive' - that's why it
needs to be handled delicately
- I would rather follow the strategies of a good point release distro
like Mint than those of a rolling distro
- I don't see a big problem w/ 'losing' some kind of 'tweaks' which
I've done to a desktop; you should be able to deal w/ that and fix it.
Desktops don't stay the same; they evolve. Deal w/ it

--
Mike Easter

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<slrnu0ed7b.ap6.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5628&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5628

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 12:57:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 12:57 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<20230307082719.99b8bd315fe4b9d0f1cf30ba@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5630&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5630

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 08:27:19 -0500
 by: Nic - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:27 UTC

On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 12:57:22 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> On 2023-03-06, Nic wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 16:01:25 -0500
> > Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

> >> Would this help?
> >> https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php
> >>
> >> As with and EOL software like Windows 7, it hit EOL a long time ago,
> >> but the software still works, you just don't get updates anymore. So
> >> your security starts going downhill.
> >> --
> >> Al
> >>
> > I understand and thanks for the link, it just really bothers me that
> > once you get your computing device working like you want it, and you
> > have put all that work towards fine tuning it, then you either update
> > or are forced to upgrade and now you have a whole new set of problems
> > to work out. This may suit some people who like to tinker but not
> > those who enjoy a pleasant computing continuity of experience. As you
> > can see TB has disappointed me again, that is why I have resent this
> > reply/followup to you with Sylpheed.
> >

> Not really -- if you bring your preferences forward (i.e. your
> $HOME/.config or just the entire $HOME); you can usually get 2 or 3
> versions of Linux Mint to "feel" pretty close together.
>
> There are obviously caveats that "new software / UI paradigms" come
> about (especially in the "prettiest" options like Cinnamon or KDE), and
> those can and will throw more frequent changes than other things.
>
> I pulled LM forward (more or less) from 13, 17, 19 (with fresh installs
> each time), and the "tinkering" was very limited. A lot less than say
> WinXP -> 7 -> 10 for family members, anyway.

That is good to know. This morning I spent an hour or so installing LMDE5, I am very impressed. It come with an earlier version of TB 96 (not sure) which I got up and running, installed to a spare 1TB SSD. I installed some of my must have programs with no problems. It Looks really good.

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<7CHNL.1472652$9sn9.1032540@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5632&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5632

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 09:11:15 -0500
 by: Nic - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:11 UTC

On 3/6/23 16:56, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> "As you can guess I am not one of those people who updates for the
>> sake of updates. I wonder if the Debian Mint has a longer survival
>> rate than the way Mint has chosen to go.  I sure wish there was a
>> version with the Cinnamon desktop that was really LTS. "
>
> From my observations, more so of the reports of others than my own
> experience, LM is 'very good' about how it handles the update and
> upgrade process.
>
> I don't have personal experience w/ Timeshift but I think the solution
> which would appeal the most to me if I were using an installed Mint
> would be:
>
>  - have a 'good' backup strategy which suited me and was easy enough
> in case of some kind of catastrophe, hdd or otherwise (such as upgrade
> problem)
>  - keep my installed Mint up-to-date w/ 'appropriate' upgrades of
> software and system and security.  I would NOT upgrade 'everything'
> but do it selectively; particularly system/security; particularly NOT
> firefox and Tb 'routinely' but 'circumspectly'
>  - when my version came to its EOL, such as the approaching 19.3, I
> would make very sure that my backup strategy was is excellent shape
> and use the specific Mint tool for upgrading to 20, which v was
> released almost 2 y ago, and I might've upgraded before this
>  - one problem w/ the upgrade, it means that the default Ffx and Tb
> v/s included w/ the default newer system will be 'forced' on me
>  - the problem w/ browser updates/upgrades is that they are both very
> often essential and they are very often 'disruptive' - that's why it
> needs to be handled delicately
>  - I would rather follow the strategies of a good point release distro
> like Mint than those of a rolling distro
>  - I don't see a big problem w/ 'losing' some kind of 'tweaks' which
> I've done to a desktop; you should be able to deal w/ that and fix it.
> Desktops don't stay the same; they evolve. Deal w/ it

You offer some good advice. A 'good' backup strategy is a must,
appropriate updates/upgrades, also according to Dan P suggests coping
the Home directory and pasting it into the new clean install across
versions.

Re: regarding EOL Mint

<tu7ijc$eihc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5634&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5634

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 09:43:56 -0500
 by: Big Al - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:43 UTC

On 3/7/23 07:57, this is what Dan Purgert wrote:

> On 2023-03-06, Nic wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 16:01:25 -0500
>> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Would this help?
>>> https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php
>>>
>>> As with and EOL software like Windows 7, it hit EOL a long time ago,
>>> but the software still works, you just don't get updates anymore. So
>>> your security starts going downhill.
>>> --
>>> Al
>>>
>> I understand and thanks for the link, it just really bothers me that
>> once you get your computing device working like you want it, and you
>> have put all that work towards fine tuning it, then you either update
>> or are forced to upgrade and now you have a whole new set of problems
>> to work out. This may suit some people who like to tinker but not
>> those who enjoy a pleasant computing continuity of experience. As you
>> can see TB has disappointed me again, that is why I have resent this
>> reply/followup to you with Sylpheed.
>

> Not really -- if you bring your preferences forward (i.e. your
> $HOME/.config or just the entire $HOME); you can usually get 2 or 3
> versions of Linux Mint to "feel" pretty close together.
>
> There are obviously caveats that "new software / UI paradigms" come
> about (especially in the "prettiest" options like Cinnamon or KDE), and
> those can and will throw more frequent changes than other things.
>
> I pulled LM forward (more or less) from 13, 17, 19 (with fresh installs
> each time), and the "tinkering" was very limited. A lot less than say
> WinXP -> 7 -> 10 for family members, anyway.

I simply wrote a bash script that copies all the settings I could find, and some are realty hidden.
And then I have a script the loads a fresh install putting back all the settings, loading all the apps and where I
couldn't find the settings, it tells me what to do. Takes about 30 minutes to reload. And I'm not that far off when
done.
--
Al