From: bad_n_...@yahoo.com (Chupo)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Gmail + OAuth without App Password and 2-Step Verification!! :-)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 23:34:26 +0200
 by: Chupo - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 21:34 UTC

There is a way Eudora could still be used with gmail without App
Password and/or 2-Step Verification.

By using Email OAuth 2.0 Proxy (which is Python program) Eudora can
still be used exactly as before.

I tested both POP and IMAP access (even both in the same time) and
everything is working without problems.

Here is the link to the proxy:
https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy

Two weeks ago the program still didn't support POP but author added it
upon my request and it works very well:

https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy/issues/34

The configuration takes some time but once everything is set up Eudora
again works as before without enabling App Password which requires
enabling 2-Step Verification and using a phone.

My suggestion is to first read through all closed issues and to use
some test gmail account to see how everything works. I was using
Windows 7 in virtual machine + Thunderbird + Eudora + TCPView +
Wireshark to debug the problem with Eudora + IMAP.

The proxy can run on the same computer as Eudora or on another computer
in the local network - it can even be Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi PC.

Porting the program to Python 2.x (for those who are still using
Windows XP) is work in progress.
--
Chupo

Re: Gmail + OAuth without App Password and 2-Step Verification!! :-)

<9ed788df-e9e8-4edb-b441-16b5e3ad4474n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=562&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#562

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 07:49:29 -0800 (PST)
From: ritsc...@gmail.com (Mark Ritschard)
 by: Mark Ritschard - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:49 UTC

On Sunday, July 10, 2022 at 3:34:33 PM UTC-6, Chupo wrote:
> There is a way Eudora could still be used with gmail without App
> Password and/or 2-Step Verification.
>
> By using Email OAuth 2.0 Proxy (which is Python program) Eudora can
> still be used exactly as before.
>
> I tested both POP and IMAP access (even both in the same time) and
> everything is working without problems.
>
> Here is the link to the proxy:
> https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy
>
> Two weeks ago the program still didn't support POP but author added it
> upon my request and it works very well:
>
> https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy/issues/34
>
> The configuration takes some time but once everything is set up Eudora
> again works as before without enabling App Password which requires
> enabling 2-Step Verification and using a phone.
>
> My suggestion is to first read through all closed issues and to use
> some test gmail account to see how everything works. I was using
> Windows 7 in virtual machine + Thunderbird + Eudora + TCPView +
> Wireshark to debug the problem with Eudora + IMAP.
>
> The proxy can run on the same computer as Eudora or on another computer
> in the local network - it can even be Raspberry Pi or Orange Pi PC.
>
> Porting the program to Python 2.x (for those who are still using
> Windows XP) is work in progress.
> --
> Chupo

This is great! The proxy is installed an listening on my Windows 10 box, but Eudora throws an error: "Error getting network address for 'localhost:1995'; Cause: host not found"
How did you configure Eudora to get around this error?