'Course, I haven't weighed in yet. :-) -- Larry Wall in <199710281816.KAA29614@wall.org>

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Video Downloader sabotaged again?

SubjectAuthor
* Video Downloader sabotaged again?Edmund
+* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Mike Easter
|+- Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Edmund
|`* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Nic
| `* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Mike Easter
|  `* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Edmund
|   `* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Mike Easter
|    `* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Edmund
|     +* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Mike Easter
|     |`- Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Edmund
|     `* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Mike Easter
|      +* Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Mike Easter
|      |`- Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Andrei Z.
|      `- Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Gordon
`- Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?Mike Easter

1
Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<tu5o5h$2sr5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5620&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5620

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Video Downloader sabotaged again?
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 23:06:40 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 22:06 UTC

Video Downloader sabotaged again?

It doesn't work here anymore.
What is going on?

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6n7aoFe8gvU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5621&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5621

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 14:21:11 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 22:21 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> Video Downloader sabotaged again?
>
> It doesn't work here anymore.
> What is going on?

I assume you are talking about the Ffx extension Video DownloadHelper

What is your Ffx v? What is your VDH v?

--
Mike Easter

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<tu5pnb$36a4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5622&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5622

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 23:33:15 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 22:33 UTC

On 3/6/23 23:21, Mike Easter wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>> Video Downloader sabotaged again?
>>
>> It doesn't work here anymore.
>> What is going on?
>
> I assume you are talking about the Ffx extension Video DownloadHelper
>
> What is your Ffx v?  What is your VDH v?

Maybe I am but I don't know what you talking about :-)
I use the GUI and there are options visible.

For a while I used a command-line version because the "normal"
( GUI versions are normal IMO ) was broken.
I want to download some youtube stuff.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<20230306174020.3d6455625c2da91cb88c2a38@none.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5623&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5623

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 17:40:20 -0500
 by: Nic - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 22:40 UTC

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 14:21:11 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Edmund wrote:
> > Video Downloader sabotaged again?
> >
> > It doesn't work here anymore.
> > What is going on?
>
> I assume you are talking about the Ffx extension Video DownloadHelper
>
> What is your Ffx v? What is your VDH v?
>
> --
> Mike Easter
Video DownloadHelper does not work for youtube

--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6n9gqFehshU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5624&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5624

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 14:58:32 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 22:58 UTC

Nic wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Edmund wrote:
>>> Video Downloader sabotaged again?
>>>
>>> It doesn't work here anymore. What is going on?
>>
>> I assume you are talking about the Ffx extension Video
>> DownloadHelper
>>
>> What is your Ffx v? What is your VDH v?
>>
> Video DownloadHelper does not work for youtube
>
> Release notes for 7.6.6 Some recent changes in YouTube cause the
> extension to fail downloading videos. This update fixes that issue.

That is why I asked about the v. Apparently it is a 'common occurrence'
that YT doesn't work (again) and so VDH has to do another v.

Earlier:
> After changes on the YouTube video site, it was no longer possible to
> download several videos from a single operation by mouse-selecting
> the videos in the YouTube page and requesting a bulk-download
> operation. Video DownloadHelper version 7.6.0 provides a workaround
> for this issue.

... and earlier:
> Video DownloadHelper 7.3.7 handles a recent YouTube change that could
> cause a video to be undetected, showing "No media to process in the
> current tab" in the add-on main panel.

.... and so forth thru' many v/s.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<tu7483$ce6r$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5626&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5626

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 11:38:59 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 10:38 UTC

On 3/6/23 23:58, Mike Easter wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> I assume you are talking about the Ffx extension Video DownloadHelper
>>>
>>> What is your Ffx v?  What is your VDH v?
>>>
>> Video DownloadHelper does not work for youtube
>>
>> Release notes for 7.6.6 Some recent changes in YouTube cause the extension to fail downloading videos. This update fixes that issue.
>
> That is why I asked about the v.  Apparently it is a 'common occurrence'
> that YT doesn't work (again) and so VDH has to do another v.
>
> Earlier:
>> After changes on the YouTube video site, it was no longer possible to
>> download several videos from a single operation by mouse-selecting
>> the videos in the YouTube page and requesting a bulk-download
>> operation. Video DownloadHelper version 7.6.0 provides a workaround
>> for this issue.
>
> .. and earlier:
>> Video DownloadHelper 7.3.7 handles a recent YouTube change that could
>> cause a video to be undetected, showing "No media to process in the
>> current tab" in the add-on main panel.
>
> ... and so forth thru' many v/s.

OK I uninstalled this version, installed a new one
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.github.unrud.VideoDownloader

This one seems to work but noone knows where it hide the downloads.

Funny info:
Changes in version 0.11.0
Add option to change download folder
Fix opening download location when file deleted
Add Norwegian translation
Add Ukrainian translation
Update French translation
Update Italian translation
Update Spanish translation
Update Swedish translation
Update Turkish translation

They forgot to mention HOW the download folder can be changed
Searching for info bring one to another website without
useful information like :
https://github.com/Unrud/video-downloader#hidden-configuration-options

Hidden configuration options
The behavior of the program can be tweaked with GSettings.

Well the "hidden" part is correct!
I think it must be kept secret.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6ors1Flst3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5629&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5629

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 05:17:52 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:17 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> OK I uninstalled this version, installed a new one
> https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.github.unrud.VideoDownloader

That flatpak VDl looks like a 'freestanding' app and not the same as
VDHelper add-on for Ffx which has a completely different v #.

I would have to install it in something to explore how to configure its
options. Maybe later.

My understanding is that the Ffx add-on VDH default dir is in
/home/user/dwhelper; naturally that would NOT be the same for the
flatpak app you acquired.

Also, the ffx addon has a settings function.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<tu7fq1$e2kk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5631&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5631

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:56:17 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 13:56 UTC

On 3/7/23 14:17, Mike Easter wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>> OK I uninstalled this version, installed a new one
>> https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.github.unrud.VideoDownloader

Hm love abbreviations : NOT

> That flatpak VDl looks like a 'freestanding' app and not the same as VDHelper add-on for Ffx which has a completely different v #.

I take a guess here : VDL = VideoDownloader Ffx = Firefox no idea what v# is.

> I would have to install it in something to explore how to configure its options.  Maybe later.

Of course it would be silly if the coders tell us where to find configurations files and how to edit them.

> My understanding is that the Ffx add-on VDH default dir is in /home/user/dwhelper; naturally that would NOT be the same for the flatpak app you acquired.

I found it : it is in /home/user/Downloads/VideoDownloader

The option : open "download location" opens my wine window and closes it again.

> Also, the ffx addon has a settings function.

Firefox addon? I use Brave browser.

That said, happy the download part works ( again ).

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6p09lFmiruU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5633&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5633

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 06:33:24 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:33 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Edmund wrote:
>>> OK I uninstalled this version, installed a new one
>>> https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.github.unrud.VideoDownloader
>

> Hm love abbreviations : NOT
>>
>> That flatpak VDl looks like a 'freestanding' app and not the same
>> as VDHelper add-on for Ffx which has a completely different v #.
>
> I take a guess here : VDL = VideoDownloader Ffx = Firefox no idea
> what v# is.

v = version, VDl = the free standing video downloader, VDHelper = the
Firefox add-on

>> I would have to install it in something to explore how to configure
>> its options. Maybe later.

I booted a live Mint which has flatpak by default and installed the VDl
from the flatpak which v is 0.11.0

> Of course it would be silly if the coders tell us where to find
> configurations files and how to edit them.

In the case of VDl, the window has a *conventional* so-called
'hamburger' icon which typically provides a menu w/ such as help or v or
other configuration. In this case the choices are: New window, Change
download location, keyboard shortcuts, and About video downloader. By
using new window, you can open another 'interation' of VDl.

So, the next time you are looking for configuration, look for a
hamburger icon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

> The hamburger button (the triple bar ≡ or trigram symbol ☰), so named
> for its unintentional resemblance to a hamburger, is a button
> typically placed in a top corner of a graphical user interface.[1]
> Its function is to toggle a menu (sometimes referred to as a
> hamburger menu) or navigation bar between being collapsed behind the
> button or displayed on the screen. The icon which is associated with
> this widget, consisting of three horizontal bars, is also known as
> the collapsed menu icon.

(It will be interesting to see what becomes of those symbols when this
comes back out of the news server; they look OK in my UTF-8)

>> My understanding is that the Ffx add-on VDH default dir is in
>> /home/user/dwhelper; naturally that would NOT be the same for the
>> flatpak app you acquired.
>
> I found it : it is in /home/user/Downloads/VideoDownloader

Correct; that is the default which mine did; also, the VDl window shows
a 'Download finished' and 'Open Download location'.

> The option : open "download location" opens my wine window and closes
> it again.

OIC = Oh, I see.

>> Also, the ffx addon has a settings function.
>
> Firefox addon? I use Brave browser.

You didn't say before. The Mint default is Ffx; also the Mint default
doesn't have Wine.

> That said, happy the download part works ( again ).

Good.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<tu7kvo$ev6h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5635&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5635

From: nom...@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 16:24:39 +0100
 by: Edmund - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 15:24 UTC

On 3/7/23 15:33, Mike Easter wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>

>> Hm  love abbreviations : NOT
>>>
>>> That flatpak VDl looks like a 'freestanding' app and not the same
>>> as VDHelper add-on for Ffx which has a completely different v #.
>>
>> I take a guess here : VDL = VideoDownloader Ffx = Firefox no idea
>> what v# is.
>>>
> v = version, VDl = the free standing video downloader, VDHelper = the
> Firefox add-on
>
>>> I would have to install it in something to explore how to configure
>>>  its options.  Maybe later.
>>
> I booted a live Mint which has flatpak by default and installed the VDl
> from the flatpak which v is 0.11.0
>
>> Of course it would be silly if the coders tell us where to find configurations files and how to edit them.
>>>
> In the case of VDl, the window has a *conventional* so-called
> 'hamburger' icon which typically provides a menu w/ such as help or v or
> other configuration.  In this case the choices are: New window, Change
> download location, keyboard shortcuts, and About video downloader.  By
> using new window, you can open another 'interation' of VDl.
>
> So, the next time you are looking for configuration, look for a
> hamburger icon.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_button

LOL How could I have missed that one. Thank you for embarrassing me :-)

>> The hamburger button (the triple bar ≡ or trigram symbol ☰), so named
>> for its unintentional resemblance to a hamburger, is a button
>> typically placed in a top corner of a graphical user interface.[1]
>> Its function is to toggle a menu (sometimes referred to as a
>> hamburger menu) or navigation bar between being collapsed behind the
>> button or displayed on the screen. The icon which is associated with
>> this widget, consisting of three horizontal bars, is also known as
>> the collapsed menu icon.
>
> (It will be interesting to see what becomes of those symbols when this comes back out of the news server; they look OK in my UTF-8)
>
>>> My understanding is that the Ffx add-on VDH default dir is in /home/user/dwhelper; naturally that would NOT be the same for the flatpak app you acquired.
>>
>> I found it : it is in /home/user/Downloads/VideoDownloader
>>
> Correct; that is the default which mine did; also, the VDl window shows
> a 'Download finished' and 'Open Download location'.
>
>> The option : open "download location" opens my wine window and closes
>> it again.
>>
> OIC = Oh, I see.
>
>>> Also, the ffx addon has a settings function.
>>
>> Firefox addon? I use Brave browser.
>>
> You didn't say before.  The Mint default is Ffx;

Never mind I prefer Brave, besides that I tried both
Video-downloader AND the Firefox with the addon.
They might be the same but they aren't, sometimes I could use
Firefox when Video-Downloader failed.

> also the Mint default
> doesn't have Wine.

Well it shouldn't open wine regardless if it is added later.
The previous Video-Downloader just opened the download folder
like it should.

>> That said, happy the download part works ( again ).
>>
> Good.

Just tested and now I know why I missed the hamburger.
When it has downloaded something this option is not visible.
Open "download location" doesn't work here.
Not a big deal, the change location does work and is a useful addition.

Edmund

--
“The further a society drifts from the truth,
the more it will hate those who speak it”

George Orwell

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6p4ghFn6tqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5636&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5636

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 07:45:19 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 15:45 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> happy the download part works ( again ).

Also; unlike Snaps, flatpaks don't 'try' to update, you have to initiate
some kind of action by such as using the command line flatpak update
which will show you the flatpaks for which an update is available, or by
using the Software center which has an update query function which
includes flatpaks.

Flatpaks don't appear in the Synaptic package manager or update manager.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6p531Fn8o8U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5637&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5637

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 07:55:13 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 15:55 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> flatpaks don't 'try' to update, you have to initiate some kind of action
> by such as using the command line flatpak update which will show you the
> flatpaks for which an update is available,

And, that VDl gets updated pretty frequently:

https://github.com/Unrud/video-downloader/releases

v 0.11.0 was just released 2 d ago, and significantly more frequently
than mo'ly.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6p6anFnf8hU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5638&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5638

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 08:16:22 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 16:16 UTC

Edmund wrote:
> Video Downloader

LM 21.1 also has by default youtube-dl a commandline for vid dl/s in its
universe repo.

http://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/

There are also a lot of forks at github if you search on ytdl-org there.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<tu7ok6$35gl$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5639&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5639

From: no-em...@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 19:26:46 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 16:26 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> flatpaks don't 'try' to update, you have to initiate some kind of
>> action by such as using the command line flatpak update which will
>> show you the flatpaks for which an update is available,
>
> And, that VDl gets updated pretty frequently:
>
> https://github.com/Unrud/video-downloader/releases
>
> v 0.11.0 was just released 2 d ago, and significantly more frequently
> than mo'ly.

"Based on yt-dlp"

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

Re: Video Downloader sabotaged again?

<k6qsk9FgmlU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5641&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5641

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: 8 Mar 2023 07:43:05 GMT
 by: Gordon - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 07:43 UTC

On 2023-03-07, Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
> Edmund wrote:
>> happy the download part works ( again ).
>
> Also; unlike Snaps, flatpaks don't 'try' to update, you have to initiate
> some kind of action by such as using the command line flatpak update
> which will show you the flatpaks for which an update is available, or by
> using the Software center which has an update query function which
> includes flatpaks.
>
> Flatpaks don't appear in the Synaptic package manager or update manager.

In Mint they are baked in for updates, as per apt. It happens with the
updates automagically. In preferences, Automation tab, other updates.