24 Apr, 2024: Testing a new version of the Overboard here. If you have an issue post about it to rocksolid.nodes.help (I know. Everyone on Usenet has issues)

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

SubjectAuthor
* (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesSpalls Hurgenson
+* Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesAnt
|`- Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesJustisaur
+- Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesMike S.
+* Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesZaghadka
|+- Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesrms
|`* Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesJustisaur
| `- Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesAnt
+- Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesPW
`* Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesPW
 `* Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesAnt
  `- Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot seriesPW

1
(Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<f7orsgtmr0t1cni3alss45k26gdipfj7l0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5620&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5620

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:50 UTC

So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
games. The bastards. ;-)

Today we get the entire rebooted "Tomb Raider" series:

Tomb Raider GOTY
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider
Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider

Oy. What to say about all these games? I rather enjoyed them, although
they were - despite the hype and their triple-A backing - B-list in
quality. They make a few mis-steps (not least being too many damned
quicktime-events), can't seem to decide whether they want to be linear
or open world, and the story is total nonsense... but in those rare
instances when everything comes together /just right/ the gameplay can
be rather fun, with some satisfying combat and platforming.

"Rise of the Tomb Raider" was made available as a freebie on Epic just
a couple of months ago, so you may already have that one; if not
here's your chance to grab it again. The other two are making their
debut as freebies on Epic, so now you can play the complete series.

This is the last day of Epic's massive Christmas give-away, so no more
new games tomorrow. On the other hand, this means they're back to
their once-a-week schedule, so you have until next Thursday to claim
these three games. No pressure.

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<DrSdnQUl2r3pYlD8nZ2dnUU7-b3NnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5627&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5627

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.tombraider
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 12:50:28 -0600
 by: Ant - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 18:50 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
> games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
> was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
> games. The bastards. ;-)

> Today we get the entire rebooted "Tomb Raider" series:

> Tomb Raider GOTY
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider
> Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider
> Shadow of the Tomb Raider
> https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider

> Oy. What to say about all these games? I rather enjoyed them, although
> they were - despite the hype and their triple-A backing - B-list in
> quality. They make a few mis-steps (not least being too many damned
> quicktime-events), can't seem to decide whether they want to be linear
> or open world, and the story is total nonsense... but in those rare
> instances when everything comes together /just right/ the gameplay can
> be rather fun, with some satisfying combat and platforming.

> "Rise of the Tomb Raider" was made available as a freebie on Epic just
> a couple of months ago, so you may already have that one; if not
> here's your chance to grab it again. The other two are making their
> debut as freebies on Epic, so now you can play the complete series.

Wow and thanks. Good trilogy freebies to end the crappy 2021. :)

> This is the last day of Epic's massive Christmas give-away, so no more
> new games tomorrow. On the other hand, this means they're back to
> their once-a-week schedule, so you have until next Thursday to claim
> these three games. No pressure.

It's still Christmas? ;)
--
BUSY, cold, wet, 2.5?" rain storm, loco, colony, works, bodies, life, medias, etc. again. RIP, John Madden 2. :(
| |o o| |

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<ld0ssg95ie327c773c48flf913lrjenro4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5628&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5628

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 14:00:28 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 19:00 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
>games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
>was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
>games. The bastards. ;-)
>
>Today we get the entire rebooted "Tomb Raider" series:

Nice giveaway. Thanks for the post!

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<nm7ssgtp06o8hkn9dp5c6d37q7c07pd7r3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5631&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5631

From: zagha...@hotmail.com (Zaghadka)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 15:05:45 -0600
 by: Zaghadka - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 21:05 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
>games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
>was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
>games. The bastards. ;-)

Epic's servers are just getting pounded right now. I've had the site
load-balance off to Portuguese and Russian trying to "purchase" the
games, and still can't get Shadow.

I'm patient. Thanks for the tip, Spalls.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<sqld5r$h7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5633&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5633

From: rsquires...@MOOflashMOO.net (rms)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 15:51:37 -0700
 by: rms - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 22:51 UTC

>Epic's servers are just getting pounded right now.

Keep in mind that Epic Store now has an actual Add To Cart option, so you
don't have to buy one game at a time any longer!

rms

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<brgssg5q44ohp4famucdrlb7qt3lj5vrpj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5637&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5637

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:40:47 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 23:40 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
>games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
>was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
>games. The bastards. ;-)
>
>Today we get the entire rebooted "Tomb Raider" series:
>
>Tomb Raider GOTY
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider
>Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider
>Shadow of the Tomb Raider
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider
>
>Oy. What to say about all these games? I rather enjoyed them, although
>they were - despite the hype and their triple-A backing - B-list in
>quality. They make a few mis-steps (not least being too many damned
>quicktime-events), can't seem to decide whether they want to be linear
>or open world, and the story is total nonsense... but in those rare
>instances when everything comes together /just right/ the gameplay can
>be rather fun, with some satisfying combat and platforming.
>
>"Rise of the Tomb Raider" was made available as a freebie on Epic just
>a couple of months ago, so you may already have that one; if not
>here's your chance to grab it again. The other two are making their
>debut as freebies on Epic, so now you can play the complete series.
>
>This is the last day of Epic's massive Christmas give-away, so no more
>new games tomorrow. On the other hand, this means they're back to
>their once-a-week schedule, so you have until next Thursday to claim
>these three games. No pressure.

I might as well claim them, even though a chic is the main character
:-)

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<v0hssglm4dh4rspf6t8lg719rrac77v37l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5638&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5638

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:45:01 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 23:45 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
>games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
>was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
>games. The bastards. ;-)
>
>Today we get the entire rebooted "Tomb Raider" series:
>
>Tomb Raider GOTY
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider
>Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider
>Shadow of the Tomb Raider
>https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider
>
>Oy. What to say about all these games? I rather enjoyed them, although
>they were - despite the hype and their triple-A backing - B-list in
>quality. They make a few mis-steps (not least being too many damned
>quicktime-events), can't seem to decide whether they want to be linear
>or open world, and the story is total nonsense... but in those rare
>instances when everything comes together /just right/ the gameplay can
>be rather fun, with some satisfying combat and platforming.
>
>"Rise of the Tomb Raider" was made available as a freebie on Epic just
>a couple of months ago, so you may already have that one; if not
>here's your chance to grab it again. The other two are making their
>debut as freebies on Epic, so now you can play the complete series.
>
>This is the last day of Epic's massive Christmas give-away, so no more
>new games tomorrow. On the other hand, this means they're back to
>their once-a-week schedule, so you have until next Thursday to claim
>these three games. No pressure.

*--

I also saw that World of Warships was free and signed up for that one.
I think I got that one free a long time ago from the Micrsosoft Store.

I'd sort of like to support Epic but I never see anything I like or
don't already have.

-pw

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<0umdnf_t39Dp21P8nZ2dnUU7-QednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5639&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5639

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 17:53:24 -0600
 by: Ant - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 23:53 UTC

PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

> >So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
> >games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
> >was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
> >games. The bastards. ;-)
> >
> >Today we get the entire rebooted "Tomb Raider" series:
> >
> >Tomb Raider GOTY
> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider
> >Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration
> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider
> >Shadow of the Tomb Raider
> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider
> >
> >Oy. What to say about all these games? I rather enjoyed them, although
> >they were - despite the hype and their triple-A backing - B-list in
> >quality. They make a few mis-steps (not least being too many damned
> >quicktime-events), can't seem to decide whether they want to be linear
> >or open world, and the story is total nonsense... but in those rare
> >instances when everything comes together /just right/ the gameplay can
> >be rather fun, with some satisfying combat and platforming.
> >
> >"Rise of the Tomb Raider" was made available as a freebie on Epic just
> >a couple of months ago, so you may already have that one; if not
> >here's your chance to grab it again. The other two are making their
> >debut as freebies on Epic, so now you can play the complete series.
> >
> >This is the last day of Epic's massive Christmas give-away, so no more
> >new games tomorrow. On the other hand, this means they're back to
> >their once-a-week schedule, so you have until next Thursday to claim
> >these three games. No pressure.
> >

> *--

> I also saw that World of Warships was free and signed up for that one.
> I think I got that one free a long time ago from the Micrsosoft Store.

Wasn't that game always F2P?
--
BUSY, cold, wet, leaky, 2.5?" rain storm, loco, colony, works, bodies, life, medias, etc. again. RIP, John Madden 2 & Dr. Edward O. Wilson. :(
| |o o| |

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<d98385ad-75b0-4d4d-9881-133eea3c28aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5641&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5641

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:01:05 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 00:01 UTC

On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 10:50:34 AM UTC-8, Ant wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's still Christmas? ;)

The 12 days of Christmas go from Dec. 25th through Jan. 5th.
(Not that I know anyone who celebrates that way, though it
would sure give enough time to recover from New Year.)

- Justisaur

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<e8bccba4-76c0-42e0-9e2b-99215a3beaddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5642&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5642

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:08:42 -0800 (PST)
From: justis...@gmail.com (Justisaur)
 by: Justisaur - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 00:08 UTC

On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 1:05:46 PM UTC-8, Zaghadka wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
> >So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
> >games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
> >was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
> >games. The bastards. ;-)
> >
> Epic's servers are just getting pounded right now. I've had the site
> load-balance off to Portuguese and Russian trying to "purchase" the
> games, and still can't get Shadow.
>
> I'm patient. Thanks for the tip, Spalls.

I just tried to add to cart one of them and just got the spinning cursor.
At least it says it's available until 1/6/22 at 8:00am (who's time?) so
got a few days to pick them up. I'll try again tomorrow.

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<w7-dnf1Pl7Jy-FP8nZ2dnUU7-Y-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5643&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5643

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 20:07:43 -0600
 by: Ant - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 02:07 UTC

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 1:05:46 PM UTC-8, Zaghadka wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,
> > Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> >
> > >So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
> > >games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
> > >was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
> > >games. The bastards. ;-)
> > >
> > Epic's servers are just getting pounded right now. I've had the site
> > load-balance off to Portuguese and Russian trying to "purchase" the
> > games, and still can't get Shadow.
> >
> > I'm patient. Thanks for the tip, Spalls.

> I just tried to add to cart one of them and just got the spinning cursor.
> At least it says it's available until 1/6/22 at 8:00am (who's time?) so
> got a few days to pick them up. I'll try again tomorrow.

8 AM PT (USA's west coast). Or just try during low usage hours like 3 AM PT. ;)
--
BUSY, dark, cold, wet, leaky, 2.5?" rain storm, loco, colony, works, bodies, life, medias, etc. again. RIP, John Madden 2 & Dr. Edward O. Wilson. :(
| |o o| |

Re: (Free Games) x 3: Tomb Raider Reboot series

<o2lvsgp3lt1bcc884jcr83aui1gbcjbkrq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5669&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5669

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 21:11:45 -0700
 by: PW - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 04:11 UTC

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 17:53:24 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>PW <iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 11:50:28 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
>> <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >So yesterday I was moaning about how Epic was giving away too many
>> >games. Obviously, they were listening and decided the best thing to do
>> >was jab the knife in a bit deeper. Today they're giving away THREE
>> >games. The bastards. ;-)
>> >
>> >Today we get the entire rebooted "Tomb Raider" series:
>> >
>> >Tomb Raider GOTY
>> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/tomb-raider
>> >Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration
>> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/rise-of-the-tomb-raider
>> >Shadow of the Tomb Raider
>> >https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider
>> >
>> >Oy. What to say about all these games? I rather enjoyed them, although
>> >they were - despite the hype and their triple-A backing - B-list in
>> >quality. They make a few mis-steps (not least being too many damned
>> >quicktime-events), can't seem to decide whether they want to be linear
>> >or open world, and the story is total nonsense... but in those rare
>> >instances when everything comes together /just right/ the gameplay can
>> >be rather fun, with some satisfying combat and platforming.
>> >
>> >"Rise of the Tomb Raider" was made available as a freebie on Epic just
>> >a couple of months ago, so you may already have that one; if not
>> >here's your chance to grab it again. The other two are making their
>> >debut as freebies on Epic, so now you can play the complete series.
>> >
>> >This is the last day of Epic's massive Christmas give-away, so no more
>> >new games tomorrow. On the other hand, this means they're back to
>> >their once-a-week schedule, so you have until next Thursday to claim
>> >these three games. No pressure.
>> >

>> *--
>
>> I also saw that World of Warships was free and signed up for that one.
>> I think I got that one free a long time ago from the Micrsosoft Store.
>
>Wasn't that game always F2P?

*--

I guess it has been now that you mention it. Just getting to Epic or
back again.