"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." -- Albert Einstein

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

SubjectAuthor
* Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingTerry Pinnell
+* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingAndy Burns
|+* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingBig Al
||`* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingThe Horny Goat
|| `- Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingKen Blake
|`* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingTerry Pinnell
| `* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingJonathan N. Little
|  `* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingPaul
|   +* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingKen Blake
|   |`* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingPaul
|   | `* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingKen Blake
|   |  `- Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|   `* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingZaidy036
|    `* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingZaidy036
|     `* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|      `- Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingRene Lamontagne
`* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingPat
 `* Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingTerry Pinnell
  `- Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changingPaul

1
Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<9cu3rgtn1nn02h1t0q1kian509fb8e8ift@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56354&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56354

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 12:43:52 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 12:43 UTC

Hard to sum up in a single sentence subject. Typing and possibly mouse clicks
occurring automatically. Almost all apps affected. Couldn't use my usual
Waterfox or Firefox to send this so I'm doing so in Chrome, which so far seems
OK. (Hope I can Send this!)

For example:
Win10 Run box rapidly displaying all entries in the drop-down box

Excel: When freshly opened, all columns are being rapidly selected

Cannot scroll (in here too)

Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.

Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options > Motion (where I went looking for
clues) immediately takes speed to extreme right and will not let me change it

Windows Security reports no action necessary.

Malaware scan found nothing.

Restarted PC, still the same.

--------------------
Also just cross-posted to WinTen Forum

Terry
Win 20 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1348)

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<j1ecthFlnj0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56355&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56355

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 12:59:26 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 12:59 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Hard to sum up in a single sentence subject. Typing and possibly mouse clicks
> occurring automatically. Almost all apps affected. Couldn't use my usual
> Waterfox or Firefox to send this so I'm doing so in Chrome, which so far seems
> OK. (Hope I can Send this!)
>
> For example:
> Win10 Run box rapidly displaying all entries in the drop-down box
>
> Excel: When freshly opened, all columns are being rapidly selected
>
> Cannot scroll (in here too)
>
> Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.

turn keyboard upside-down, shake to remove crumbs :-)

seriously though, have you checked if any keys (space bar, or arrows) are stuck
down?

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sosurc$e39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56356&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56356

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 08:03:40 -0500
 by: Big Al - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 13:03 UTC

On 12/9/21 7:59 AM, this is what Andy Burns wrote:
> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Hard to sum up in a single sentence subject. Typing and possibly mouse clicks
>> occurring automatically. Almost all apps affected. Couldn't use my usual
>> Waterfox or Firefox to send this so I'm doing so in Chrome, which so far seems
>> OK. (Hope I can Send this!)
>>
>> For example:
>> Win10 Run box rapidly displaying all entries in the drop-down box
>>
>> Excel: When freshly opened, all columns are being rapidly selected
>>
>> Cannot scroll (in here too)
>>
>> Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.
>
> turn keyboard upside-down, shake to remove crumbs :-)
>
> seriously though, have you checked if any keys (space bar, or arrows) are stuck down?

If you have spares, replace keyboard and or mouse?

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<p8b4rg12305c5j00r9dk7icrhurq6864jt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56358&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56358

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 16:23:44 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 16:23 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Hard to sum up in a single sentence subject. Typing and possibly mouse clicks
>> occurring automatically. Almost all apps affected. Couldn't use my usual
>> Waterfox or Firefox to send this so I'm doing so in Chrome, which so far seems
>> OK. (Hope I can Send this!)
>>
>> For example:
>> Win10 Run box rapidly displaying all entries in the drop-down box
>>
>> Excel: When freshly opened, all columns are being rapidly selected
>>
>> Cannot scroll (in here too)
>>
>> Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.
>
>turn keyboard upside-down, shake to remove crumbs :-)
>
>seriously though, have you checked if any keys (space bar, or arrows) are stuck
>down?

Thanks both.

I'd tried the usual things: restart, sfc, reboot, shake keyboard to get rid of
crumbs, press the buttons on underside of Logitech 660 wireless KB and the
nearby receiver, uninstall keyboards in Device Mgr and restart. No joy. But
after all that I then switched the ports to which the receiver was connected a
couple of times and after the latest restart normal behaviour was thankfully
back.

BTW there were (and still are) three in Device Manager, all identically but
unhelpfully named 'HID Keyboard Device', which puzzles me. Why not just one?

Terry

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<s0d4rgl70vc8q8oclhfomhanpgkgv29obl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56359&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56359

From: for...@greensdomain.com (Pat)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 11:56:26 -0500
 by: Pat - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 16:56 UTC

On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 12:43:52 +0000, Terry Pinnell
<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Hard to sum up in a single sentence subject. Typing and possibly mouse clicks
>occurring automatically. Almost all apps affected. Couldn't use my usual
>Waterfox or Firefox to send this so I'm doing so in Chrome, which so far seems
>OK. (Hope I can Send this!)
>
>For example:
>Win10 Run box rapidly displaying all entries in the drop-down box
>
>Excel: When freshly opened, all columns are being rapidly selected
>
>Cannot scroll (in here too)
>
>Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.
>
>Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options > Motion (where I went looking for
>clues) immediately takes speed to extreme right and will not let me change it
>
>Windows Security reports no action necessary.
>
>Malaware scan found nothing.
>
>Restarted PC, still the same.
>
>--------------------
>Also just cross-posted to WinTen Forum
>
>Terry
>Win 20 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1348)

I had a similar thing happen at work a number of years ago. It turned
out to be the microphone was somehow turned on and set for speech to
text. It was just random activity until I said "Hey Bob. Come on
over and look at this" to guy in the next office. That sentence was
clearly typed on my screen. I doubt that is your problem, but I
thought I would mention it in case it rings a bell. (Mine didn't
create mouse activity - just text being typed.)

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sotmtu$vct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56362&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56362

From: lws4...@gmail.com (Jonathan N. Little)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 14:54:37 -0500
 by: Jonathan N. Little - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 19:54 UTC

Terry Pinnell wrote:

> BTW there were (and still are) three in Device Manager, all identically but
> unhelpfully named 'HID Keyboard Device', which puzzles me. Why not just one?

Okay I think I can manage an answer for this one, there is a limit to
the number of simultaneous key presses that the system can recognize so
performance "gaming" keyboards use virtual ones to expand the capacity.
My keyboard create 4.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<u276rgh9ccgvt01i01c231adlmrdjvdcbb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56373&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56373

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 09:30:35 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 09:30 UTC

Pat <forums@greensdomain.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 12:43:52 +0000, Terry Pinnell
><me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Hard to sum up in a single sentence subject. Typing and possibly mouse clicks
>>occurring automatically. Almost all apps affected. Couldn't use my usual
>>Waterfox or Firefox to send this so I'm doing so in Chrome, which so far seems
>>OK. (Hope I can Send this!)
>>
>>For example:
>>Win10 Run box rapidly displaying all entries in the drop-down box
>>
>>Excel: When freshly opened, all columns are being rapidly selected
>>
>>Cannot scroll (in here too)
>>
>>Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.
>>
>>Control Panel > Mouse > Pointer Options > Motion (where I went looking for
>>clues) immediately takes speed to extreme right and will not let me change it
>>
>>Windows Security reports no action necessary.
>>
>>Malaware scan found nothing.
>>
>>Restarted PC, still the same.
>>
>>--------------------
>>Also just cross-posted to WinTen Forum
>>
>>Terry
>>Win 20 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1348)
>>

>I had a similar thing happen at work a number of years ago. It turned
>out to be the microphone was somehow turned on and set for speech to
>text. It was just random activity until I said "Hey Bob. Come on
>over and look at this" to guy in the next office. That sentence was
>clearly typed on my screen. I doubt that is your problem, but I
>thought I would mention it in case it rings a bell. (Mine didn't
>create mouse activity - just text being typed.)

Definitely one of the more interesting possibilities! No expletives appeared
during my troubleshooting, but I'll add it to the list.

A few years back I had other bizarre behaviour which turned out to be one of the
Ease of Access settings had got enabled after a WU.

Happy to be back to normal although I'm still not clear exactly what happened.
And from a reply on the 10 forum I may try culling those redundant Device Mgr
entries.

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sovji8$248$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56376&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56376

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 08:09:07 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 13:09 UTC

On 12/9/2021 2:54 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> BTW there were (and still are) three in Device Manager, all identically but
>> unhelpfully named 'HID Keyboard Device', which puzzles me. Why not just one?
>
> Okay I think I can manage an answer for this one, there is a limit to
> the number of simultaneous key presses that the system can recognize so
> performance "gaming" keyboards use virtual ones to expand the capacity.
> My keyboard create 4.

My machine has two physical keyboards connected, a USB keyboard
(without a PRTSCN key) and a PS/2 keyboard (with a PRTSCN key).
These are listed in Device Manager as...

HID Keyboard Device HID\VID_125F&PID_9318 \___ 2020 keyboard, one device, *two* entries
HID Keyboard Device HID\VID_125F&PID_9318 /
Standard PS/2 Keyboard ACPI\PNP0303

If I use Uwe Siebers UsbTreeView.exe, I can see a
good degree of complexity over the years.

I have three USB devices to share. I was hoping at least
one of them would show the original USB.org intent, but that's
not the case. The Griffin converter comes close.

- Griffin iMate ADB to USB + Apple ADB keyboard (keyboard and mouse capable, one cable)
[I was hoping this would have a CCGS and just the keyboard but... no.)

- Apple Extended Keyboard (possibly the power or eject button, is a separate HID item?)

- XPG Keyboard suited to PC, yr.2020 (backlit) (contains a soup of devices inside!)

These things only seem to get more complicated, as time passes.

I would not freak out, if multiple entries exist.

Check USBTreeView first before you panic.

If the following is fuzzy, use "Download Original" for details.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/59rq1rwr/USBTree-View-keyboards.gif

In Device Manager, look for nonstandard UpperClass Filter drivers
in the Properties : Details area. Filter drivers are allowed to
modify input streams - that's how a touchpad gets its mojo.

Paul

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<j1h8esF85qpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56377&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56377

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 08:01:48 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 15:01 UTC

On 12/10/2021 6:09 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 12/9/2021 2:54 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> BTW there were (and still are) three in Device Manager, all identically but
>>> unhelpfully named 'HID Keyboard Device', which puzzles me. Why not just one?
>>
>> Okay I think I can manage an answer for this one, there is a limit to
>> the number of simultaneous key presses that the system can recognize so
>> performance "gaming" keyboards use virtual ones to expand the capacity.
>> My keyboard create 4.
>>

> My machine has two physical keyboards connected, a USB keyboard
> (without a PRTSCN key) and a PS/2 keyboard (with a PRTSCN key).
> These are listed in Device Manager as...

Just curious. Why do you have two?

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sp0b0a$qnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56380&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56380

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:49:09 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:49 UTC

On 12/10/2021 10:01 AM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 6:09 AM, Paul wrote:

>>> Okay I think I can manage an answer for this one, there is a limit to
>>> the number of simultaneous key presses that the system can recognize so
>>> performance "gaming" keyboards use virtual ones to expand the capacity.
>>> My keyboard create 4.
>>>

>> My machine has two physical keyboards connected, a USB keyboard
>> (without a PRTSCN key) and a PS/2 keyboard (with a PRTSCN key).
>> These are listed in Device Manager as...
>

> Just curious. Why do you have two?

The *second* keyboard has my PrintScreen key.
The keyboard I'm typing on, has no PrintScreen.

Originally, the USB keyboard was added for when I
switch seats. The PS/2 keyboard sits on top of the
tower, for when the monitor is above the table
over there.

When I video conference, the microphone needs
to be away from the fans. The second chair is further
away, and has a USB keyboard. My second chair has its
own keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

But the USB keyboard has no PrintScreen key. Thus,
I just leave two keyboards connected for ultimate utility.

I've also had three mice connected, but that was to
prove that Windows 10 drivers were "working". It took
a hell of a long time, before the driver problems
went away. Unbelievably, the most reliable mouse,
was the mouse running off the *serial RS232* port.
The driver on that *always* works. Windows 10 used to
have some baloney about not loading all drivers, and
sticking with the hardware it discovered on the last boot,
and for several years, that led to grief. I would have
mouse outages. One of the three mice would not work.
But the serial mouse always worked (for some reason).

But you can see from my USB picture, that these
things have become unbelievably complicated, for
a stinking keyboard. The USB keyboard is over the top,
on minor devices inside the USB config. If those people
were that clever, they should have pinned off any that
aren't needed. Even if the backlights on the keyboard
are programmable, the USB structure should not be
*that* complicated.

Paul

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sp0b55$qnh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56381&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56381

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:51:45 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 19:51 UTC

On 12/10/2021 4:30 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Happy to be back to normal although I'm still not clear exactly what happened.
> And from a reply on the 10 forum I may try culling those redundant Device Mgr
> entries.

How will you know what to cull ?

I looked at mine, and my duplicate one seems identical to
the other one. I'm probably missing some digit somewhere
which is different. But a quick glance, they sure looked
the same to me. If I kill the wrong one, I might have to go
use the other keyboard then (PS/2 keyboard).

Paul

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<j1hvbvFcf7tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56382&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56382

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 14:32:47 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 21:32 UTC

On 12/10/2021 12:49 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 10:01 AM, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> My machine has two physical keyboards connected, a USB keyboard
>>> (without a PRTSCN key) and a PS/2 keyboard (with a PRTSCN key).
>>> These are listed in Device Manager as...
>>

>> Just curious. Why do you have two?
>>

> The *second* keyboard has my PrintScreen key.
> The keyboard I'm typing on, has no PrintScreen.
>
> Originally, the USB keyboard was added for when I
> switch seats. The PS/2 keyboard sits on top of the
> tower, for when the monitor is above the table
> over there.
>
> When I video conference, the microphone needs
> to be away from the fans. The second chair is further
> away, and has a USB keyboard. My second chair has its
> own keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
>
> But the USB keyboard has no PrintScreen key. Thus,
> I just leave two keyboards connected for ultimate utility.

So why not discard both keyboards and replace the keyboard at the second
chair with a USB keyboard that has a printscreen key. It's hard to be
sure without seeing and better understanding your layout, but I think
that's what I'd do.

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sp0ke3$pjv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56383&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56383

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:30:27 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 22:30 UTC

On 12/10/2021 8:09 AM, Paul wrote:
> On 12/9/2021 2:54 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> BTW there were (and still are) three in Device Manager, all
>>> identically but
>>> unhelpfully named 'HID Keyboard Device', which puzzles me. Why not
>>> just one?
>>
>> Okay I think I can manage an answer for this one, there is a limit to
>> the number of simultaneous key presses that the system can recognize so
>> performance "gaming" keyboards use virtual ones to expand the capacity.
>> My keyboard create 4.
>>

> My machine has two physical keyboards connected, a USB keyboard
> (without a PRTSCN key) and a PS/2 keyboard (with a PRTSCN key).
> These are listed in Device Manager as...
>
>    HID Keyboard Device      HID\VID_125F&PID_9318  \___ 2020 keyboard,
> one device, *two* entries
>    HID Keyboard Device      HID\VID_125F&PID_9318  /
>    Standard PS/2 Keyboard   ACPI\PNP0303
>
> If I use Uwe Siebers UsbTreeView.exe, I can see a
> good degree of complexity over the years.
>
> I have three USB devices to share. I was hoping at least
> one of them would show the original USB.org intent, but that's
> not the case. The Griffin converter comes close.
>
>  - Griffin iMate ADB to USB + Apple ADB keyboard (keyboard and mouse
> capable, one cable)
>    [I was hoping this would have a CCGS and just the keyboard but... no.)
>
>  - Apple Extended Keyboard (possibly the power or eject button, is a
> separate HID item?)
>
>  - XPG Keyboard suited to PC, yr.2020 (backlit) (contains a soup of
> devices inside!)
>
> These things only seem to get more complicated, as time passes.
>
> I would not freak out, if multiple entries exist.
>
> Check USBTreeView first before you panic.
>
> If the following is fuzzy, use "Download Original" for details.
>
>    [Picture]
>
>    https://i.postimg.cc/59rq1rwr/USBTree-View-keyboards.gif
>
> In Device Manager, look for nonstandard UpperClass Filter drivers
> in the Properties : Details area. Filter drivers are allowed to
> modify input streams - that's how a touchpad gets its mojo.
>
>    Paul

Depending on your hardware, you may use the Windows Logo Key + PrtScn
button as a shortcut for print screen. If your device does not have the
PrtScn button, you may use Fn + Windows logo key + Space Bar to take a
screenshot, which can then be printed.

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sp0kks$pjv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56384&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56384

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 17:34:05 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 22:34 UTC

On 12/10/2021 5:30 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 8:09 AM, Paul wrote:

>>> Okay I think I can manage an answer for this one, there is a limit to
>>> the number of simultaneous key presses that the system can recognize so
>>> performance "gaming" keyboards use virtual ones to expand the capacity.
>>> My keyboard create 4.
>>>

>> My machine has two physical keyboards connected, a USB keyboard
>> (without a PRTSCN key) and a PS/2 keyboard (with a PRTSCN key).
>> These are listed in Device Manager as...
>>
>>     HID Keyboard Device      HID\VID_125F&PID_9318  \___ 2020
>> keyboard, one device, *two* entries
>>     HID Keyboard Device      HID\VID_125F&PID_9318  /
>>     Standard PS/2 Keyboard   ACPI\PNP0303
>>
>> If I use Uwe Siebers UsbTreeView.exe, I can see a
>> good degree of complexity over the years.
>>
>> I have three USB devices to share. I was hoping at least
>> one of them would show the original USB.org intent, but that's
>> not the case. The Griffin converter comes close.
>>
>>   - Griffin iMate ADB to USB + Apple ADB keyboard (keyboard and mouse
>> capable, one cable)
>>     [I was hoping this would have a CCGS and just the keyboard but...
>> no.)
>>
>>   - Apple Extended Keyboard (possibly the power or eject button, is a
>> separate HID item?)
>>
>>   - XPG Keyboard suited to PC, yr.2020 (backlit) (contains a soup of
>> devices inside!)
>>
>> These things only seem to get more complicated, as time passes.
>>
>> I would not freak out, if multiple entries exist.
>>
>> Check USBTreeView first before you panic.
>>
>> If the following is fuzzy, use "Download Original" for details.
>>
>>     [Picture]
>>
>>     https://i.postimg.cc/59rq1rwr/USBTree-View-keyboards.gif
>>
>> In Device Manager, look for nonstandard UpperClass Filter drivers
>> in the Properties : Details area. Filter drivers are allowed to
>> modify input streams - that's how a touchpad gets its mojo.
>>
>>     Paul
>
> Depending on your hardware, you may use the Windows Logo Key + PrtScn
> button as a shortcut for print screen. If your device does not have the
> PrtScn button, you may use Fn + Windows logo key + Space Bar to take a
> screenshot, which can then be printed.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-screenshot-on-windows-10-without-print-screen/

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<sp0ngr$hb5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56385&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56385

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 16:23:04 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 23:23 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 12:49 PM, Paul wrote:

>>> Just curious. Why do you have two?
>>>

>> The *second* keyboard has my PrintScreen key.
>> The keyboard I'm typing on, has no PrintScreen.
>>
>> Originally, the USB keyboard was added for when I
>> switch seats. The PS/2 keyboard sits on top of the
>> tower, for when the monitor is above the table
>> over there.
>>
>> When I video conference, the microphone needs
>> to be away from the fans. The second chair is further
>> away, and has a USB keyboard. My second chair has its
>> own keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
>>
>> But the USB keyboard has no PrintScreen key. Thus,
>> I just leave two keyboards connected for ultimate utility.
>

> So why not discard both keyboards and replace the keyboard at the second
> chair with a USB keyboard that has a printscreen key. It's hard to be
> sure without seeing and better understanding your layout, but I think
> that's what I'd do.

Sounds about right without other info.

I expect Paul unlike or maybe like others including me(and/or you) has
some extra inventory laying around ready for the recycle bin or his heirs.

I've an old Keytronic PS/2 keyboard that arrived when purchased with a
sticking F11 button. Called the company, they sent out a new, told me to
keep/not return the original. Put it back in the box, hooked the
replacement up and used on WinXP and Win7 until replacing the Win7
device with a new mid-tower and switched to a Microsoft Multi-media
keyboard(Summit, MSFT store bucks - $12). To this day, on any device, I
don't ever recall using the F11 key(in a browser for full screen
toggling or even Excel Shift-F11 for new spreadsheet tab).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<e4lnpryPFTthFwHe@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56400&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56400

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 23:16:31 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 23:16 UTC

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 at 17:34:05, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote
(my responses usually follow points raised):
>On 12/10/2021 5:30 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
[]
>> Depending on your hardware, you may use the Windows Logo Key +
>>PrtScn button as a shortcut for print screen.

What does Win + PrtScn do that PrtScn on its own doesn't? (I know about
_Alt_ + PrtScn.)

>> If your device does not have the PrtScn button, you may use Fn +
>>Windows logo key + Space Bar to take a screenshot, which can then be
>>printed.
[]
Interesting. I suppose there are keyboards about that don't have a
PrtScn key, but _do_ have a Fn key. (Until recently, I'd never seen a
Fn key on a full-size kbd - I always thought they were only found on
laptop keyboards - but I have recently encountered one or two.)

10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<j1kt58FtfshU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56402&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56402

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 18:13:28 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 00:13 UTC

On 2021-12-11 5:16 p.m., J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 at 17:34:05, Zaidy036 <Zaidy036@air.isp.spam> wrote
> (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> On 12/10/2021 5:30 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> []
>>>  Depending on your hardware, you may use the Windows Logo Key +
>>> PrtScn  button as a shortcut for print screen.
>
> What does Win + PrtScn do that PrtScn on its own doesn't? (I know about
> _Alt_ + PrtScn.)
>
>>> If your device does not have the  PrtScn button, you may use Fn +
>>> Windows logo key + Space Bar to take a  screenshot, which can then be
>>> printed.
> []
> Interesting. I suppose there are keyboards about that don't have a
> PrtScn key, but _do_ have a Fn key.  (Until recently, I'd never seen a
> Fn key on a full-size kbd - I always thought they were only found on
> laptop keyboards - but I have recently encountered one or two.)

Yes, my Redragon K555 has an FN key, mostly uised for setting up the LED
lighting schemes.

Rene

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<7lpssgd2dur4b0htg9ik04r28fbpl1r10b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56950&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56950

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 18:11:31 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 02:11 UTC

On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 08:03:40 -0500, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 12/9/21 7:59 AM, this is what Andy Burns wrote:
>> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>>
>>> Most other apps behaving in similar wild fashion.
>>
>> turn keyboard upside-down, shake to remove crumbs :-)
>>
>> seriously though, have you checked if any keys (space bar, or arrows) are stuck down?
>>

>If you have spares, replace keyboard and or mouse?

A can of compressed air is a lot cheaper than keyboard + mouse! (And I
always keep one close by my desk!)

Re: Help! Lost control, selections & scrolling rapidly changing

<j38mu4FqpegU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56976&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56976

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 08:46:12 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:46 UTC

On 12/30/2021 7:11 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2021 08:03:40 -0500, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> turn keyboard upside-down, shake to remove crumbs :-)
>>>
>>> seriously though, have you checked if any keys (space bar, or arrows) are stuck down?
>>>

>>If you have spares, replace keyboard and or mouse?
>
> A can of compressed air is a lot cheaper than keyboard + mouse! (And I
> always keep one close by my desk!)

I also keep a can of compressed air nearby, but I also have a couple of
spare keyboards and mice. And for anyone who doesn't, be aware that you
can almost always borrow one from a friend, then buy one if using the
borrowed one fixes the problem.