From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: [OT] Program only flashes on screen after I click to closedown
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 22:47:03 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 22:47 UTC

This is prefixed [OT] because it is happening on one copy of XP running under Virtualbox whereas it is OK on reference copy running under VMware.

It only noticed it when I ran the program after a gap of many months.

There have been no udates for ages so I cannot work out what might be causing it. The program is a very old (1996) 16-bit contact management program that just works .. or did. I am happy with it but cannot move it to Windows 10 because it 16-bit.

I tried reinstalling but that makes no difference.

I tried starting it from cmd but nothing is returned.
Can I force diclosure of an error code from the command line?

Anyway, that's the story.

--
Mint 20.2, kernel 5.4.0-88-generic, Cinnamon 5.0.5
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Program only flashes on screen after I click to closedown

<sp3gqr$n3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56403&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56403

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 19:46:55 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 00:46 UTC

On 12/11/2021 5:47 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> This is prefixed [OT] because it is happening on one copy of XP running under Virtualbox whereas it is OK on reference copy running under VMware.
>
> It only noticed it when I ran the program after a gap of many months.
>
> There have been no udates for ages so I cannot work out what might be causing it. The program is a very old (1996) 16-bit contact management program that just works .. or did. I am happy with it but cannot move it to Windows 10 because it 16-bit.
>
> I tried reinstalling but that makes no difference.
>
> I tried starting it from cmd but nothing is returned.
> Can I force diclosure of an error code from the command line?
>
> Anyway, that's the story.

Have you tried disabling real time protection on your AV (in WinXP) ?
It's not always easy to find the log for an AV, to check on whether
it "stopped" an executable from launching or not. You'd think your
contact manager would end up in a quarantine folder if that happened.

Upload the contact manager to Virustotal.com and scan it and see
if it causes a false positive.

An AV program in the host OS, should not be able to see what
a Guest Program is doing in the Guest OS. But if you happened to
have an AV in the Guest OS, it could stop the Contact Manager
from running.

The Contact Manager could attempt to write to "Program Files",
and an AV might not like that. Old programs used to do stuff like that.

If the program uses Self Modifying Code, that's not allowed either.
But you should get an error number immediately if that happened.
There would be an access violation of some sort, as the code segment
should be read only once loaded.

Paul