"They ought to make butt-flavored cat food." --Gallagher

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Windows 11 installed without permission?

SubjectAuthor
* Windows 11 installed without permission?R2D2
+- Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+- Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?Paul
+* Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?Ken Blake
|+- Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?Paul
|`- Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?T
`- Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?R2D2

1
Windows 11 installed without permission?

<l8ajrgde1b1rkslru4g1rpn0vs0etgpedq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56458&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56458

From: a...@xx.ff (R2D2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows 11 installed without permission?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:39:06 +0000
 by: R2D2 - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:39 UTC

Hia folks

Has anyone had any cases of Windows 11 being installed without the
user actually clicking on the install/upgrade button? I have 2 users
that have had their laptops upgraded to W11, and they swear they
didn't authorize it.

Normally I doubt anything a user says, but these 2 are quite level
headed people, who are not the kind to do major fuckups.

Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?

<spcj6r$c4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56461&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56461

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤ñ)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 04:23:07 -0700
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤ñ - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 11:23 UTC

R2D2 wrote:

> Hia folks
>

> Has anyone had any cases of Windows 11 being installed without the
> user actually clicking on the install/upgrade button? I have 2 users
> that have had their laptops upgraded to W11, and they swear they
> didn't authorize it.
>
> Normally I doubt anything a user says, but these 2 are quite level
> headed people, who are not the kind to do major fuckups.

Have yet to come across anyone that can validate they didn't click and
authorize installation of Win11 on a Win10 devic.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤ñ

Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?

<spcr71$7ru$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56466&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56466

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:39:38 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:39 UTC

On 12/15/2021 3:39 AM, R2D2 wrote:

> Hia folks
>

> Has anyone had any cases of Windows 11 being installed without the
> user actually clicking on the install/upgrade button? I have 2 users
> that have had their laptops upgraded to W11, and they swear they
> didn't authorize it.
>
> Normally I doubt anything a user says, but these 2 are quite level
> headed people, who are not the kind to do major fuckups.

https://www.pdq.com/blog/how-to-block-the-windows-11-upgrade/

You have to be a bit careful, as there are potentially two updates
in the pipe. There is

Win10 21H1 ==> 21H2 want it
Win10 21H1 ==> Win11 don't want it

and so any GPEDIT policy has to reflect that.

It's possible there are a couple registry entries that influence
the behavior. That GPEDIT might be driving one of the two.

Paul

Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?

<j1v1tpFrra0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56492&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56492

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 13:36:08 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 20:36 UTC

On 12/15/2021 1:39 AM, R2D2 wrote:

> Hia folks
>

> Has anyone had any cases of Windows 11 being installed without the
> user actually clicking on the install/upgrade button? I have 2 users
> that have had their laptops upgraded to W11, and they swear they
> didn't authorize it.
>
> Normally I doubt anything a user says, but these 2 are quite level
> headed people, who are not the kind to do major fuckups.

Even level-headed people sometimes make mistakes without realizing it.

Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?

<speigp$bev$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56506&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56506

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 00:23:30 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 05:23 UTC

On 12/15/2021 3:36 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 12/15/2021 1:39 AM, R2D2 wrote:
>>
>> Hia folks
>>

>> Has anyone had any cases of Windows 11 being installed without the
>> user actually clicking on the install/upgrade button? I have 2 users
>> that have had their laptops upgraded to W11, and they swear they
>> didn't authorize it.
>>
>> Normally I doubt anything a user says, but these 2 are quite level
>> headed people, who are not the kind to do major fuckups.
>

> Even level-headed people sometimes make mistakes without realizing it.

This is what the "immediate" prompt looks like.
Click this button and you're off to the Win11 races.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/306843i74F9FCACB6546095/image-size/large?v=v2&px=999

This is what is on my 2021 AMD system at the moment.
It's the "Curious George" interface, trying to get
you to click on some PR page.

https://www.windowschimp.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/this-pc-can-run-Windows-11-notification.png

It does not look like that one leads to immediate installation.
There was a promotional web page, with the usual smiling users
on it.

The immediate prompt one, has a "Download and Install". Which
means it should also have the dialog that summarizes what it
proposes to do ("Keep all user files and programs").

If that happened, the users would have been able to stop it.
How else can it get in there ?

A "Feature Update" is less conspicuous, but I don't think
Windows 11 is packaged that way.

Paul

Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?

<spek1k$bjh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56507&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56507

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:49:40 -0800
 by: T - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 05:49 UTC

On 12/15/21 12:36, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 12/15/2021 1:39 AM, R2D2 wrote:
>>
>> Hia folks
>>

>> Has anyone had any cases of Windows 11 being installed without the
>> user actually clicking on the install/upgrade button? I have 2 users
>> that have had their laptops upgraded to W11, and they swear they
>> didn't authorize it.
>>
>> Normally I doubt anything a user says, but these 2 are quite level
>> headed people, who are not the kind to do major fuckups.
>

> Even level-headed people sometimes make mistakes without realizing it.

I have had one, but on further questioning, she fell
for the verbiage from M$, not realizing what would
happen to her.

Re: Windows 11 installed without permission?

<tgqlrgpp7dt3ij9ju5kb118ei5tdntesu7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56511&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56511

From: a...@xx.ff (R2D2)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 07:26:53 +0000
 by: R2D2 - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 07:26 UTC

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:39:06 +0000, R2D2 <a@xx.ff> wrote:

>Hia folks
>

>Has anyone had any cases of Windows 11 being installed without the
>user actually clicking on the install/upgrade button? I have 2 users
>that have had their laptops upgraded to W11, and they swear they
>didn't authorize it.
>
>Normally I doubt anything a user says, but these 2 are quite level
>headed people, who are not the kind to do major fuckups.

Well... been 5 days now. I guess they really misclicked.