[We] use bad software and bad machines for the wrong things. -- R. W. Hamming

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / text editor with features

SubjectAuthor
* text editor with featuresmicky
+* Re: text editor with featuresCarlos E.R.
|+* Re: text editor with featuresMayayana
||+- Re: text editor with featuresnospam
||`- Re: text editor with featuresmicky
|`* Re: text editor with featuresCarlos E.R.
| `* Re: text editor with featuresmicky
|  `* Re: text editor with featuresCarlos E.R.
|   `- Re: text editor with featuresmicky
+* Re: text editor with featuresAndy Burns
|`- Re: text editor with featuresmicky
+* Re: text editor with featuresBig Al
|`- Re: text editor with featuresmicky
+* Re: text editor with featuresPaul
|`* Re: text editor with featuresmicky
| `* Re: text editor with featuresChar Jackson
|  +* Re: text editor with featuresmicky
|  |`* Re: text editor with featuresKen Blake
|  | `* Re: text editor with featuresKen Blake
|  |  +* Re: text editor with featuresChar Jackson
|  |  |`- Re: text editor with featuresPhilip Herlihy
|  |  `* Re: text editor with features...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  |   `- Re: text editor with featuresKen Blake
|  +- Re: text editor with featuresPhilip Herlihy
|  +* Re: text editor with featuresmicky
|  |`- Re: text editor with features...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
|  `* Re: text editor with featuresVanguardLH
|   `* Re: text editor with featuresYannis
|    `* Re: text editor with featuresVanguardLH
|     `- Re: text editor with features...w¡ñ§±¤ñ
+* Re: text editor with featuresKen Blake
|`- Re: text editor with featuresmicky
+* Re: text editor with featuresDed Moroz
|`* Re: text editor with featuresmicky
| `- Re: text editor with featuresVanguardLH
`- Re: text editor with featuresT

Pages:12
text editor with features

<0a6esg91f88069tehqgni209g1e3ud3kjo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56720&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56720

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: text editor with features
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 08:21:51 -0500
 by: micky - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:21 UTC

I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
problems, but failing that:

Can you folks recommend a text editor that
a) lets me click on links
b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
email program does.
c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
files.
e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
did.)

Right now I'm using Notepad++ where urls work but the text is all black
and white, and no graphics. It ha a and d but not b or c.

And I've used my email (Eudora) which has all of 1-4 but other items in
the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.

Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.

Re: text editor with features

<8ljj9i-8rp.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56721&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56721

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: text editor with features
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:41:28 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:41 UTC

On 25/12/2021 14.21, micky wrote:
> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
> problems, but failing that:
>
> Can you folks recommend a text editor that
> a) lets me click on links
> b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
> email program does.
> c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
> d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
> files.
> e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
> think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
> checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
> did.)
>

> Right now I'm using Notepad++ where urls work but the text is all black
> and white, and no graphics. It ha a and d but not b or c.
>
> And I've used my email (Eudora) which has all of 1-4 but other items in
> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>
> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.

The moment you add graphics, then you are seeking for word processors
rather than text editors.

And graphics means a lot of memory needed.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: text editor with features

<j2om1kFp3dsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56722&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56722

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:52:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:52 UTC

micky wrote:

> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
> problems, but failing that:
>
> Can you folks recommend a text editor that
> a) lets me click on links
> b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
> email program does.
> c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
> d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
> files.
> e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
> think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
> checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
> did.)

Sounds like a job for HTML, maybe etherpad?

Even if you don't need the collaborative editing, maybe being able to edit it
from multiple computers would be handy?

Re: text editor with features

<sq787e$mu7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56723&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56723

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:01:18 -0500
 by: Big Al - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:01 UTC

On 12/25/21 8:21 AM, this is what micky wrote:
> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
> problems, but failing that:
>
> Can you folks recommend a text editor that
> a) lets me click on links
> b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
> email program does.
> c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
> d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
> files.
> e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
> think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
> checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
> did.)
>

> Right now I'm using Notepad++ where urls work but the text is all black
> and white, and no graphics. It ha a and d but not b or c.
>
> And I've used my email (Eudora) which has all of 1-4 but other items in
> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>
> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.

I use Notepad++ and find it has great features, but is just a text editor.
Like others say, if you add graphics, it's no longer a text editor.

Notepad++ is also setup to colorize your text based on the extension (type of file). CSS code might color one way, highlighting css
functions, comments etc.
HTML will colorize another way.
All forms are set in default config files that you can edit if you can get through the learning curve of their config.

In Linux, not sure if it's available to Windows, but I use geany there. This is a bit closer to a IDE, but the plus for it is that it's
fast and can handle larger files.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: text editor with features

<sq7997$upn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56724&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56724

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:19:19 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:19 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote

| The moment you add graphics, then you are seeking for word processors
| rather than text editors.
| | And graphics means a lot of memory needed.

It seems that Wordpad fills the bill, except for having tabs.
Microsoft's RichEdit window is an impressive piece of technology,
and very fast. It was originally the basis of Word.

Re: text editor with features

<sq79v7$330$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56726&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56726

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:30:09 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:30 UTC

On 12/25/2021 8:21 AM, micky wrote:
> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
> problems, but failing that:
>
> Can you folks recommend a text editor that
> a) lets me click on links
> b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
> email program does.
> c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
> d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
> files.
> e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
> think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
> checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
> did.)
>

> Right now I'm using Notepad++ where urls work but the text is all black
> and white, and no graphics. It ha a and d but not b or c.
>
> And I've used my email (Eudora) which has all of 1-4 but other items in
> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>
> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.

You can use LibreOffice for multimedia if you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

HTML allows mixed media, and in an email tool, it
could be an HTML Editor that allows pasting stuff in.

But true text editors, don't allow fluffy features like that.

Paul

Re: text editor with features

<j2opk4FpnrjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56727&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56727

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 07:53:55 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:53 UTC

On 12/25/2021 6:21 AM, micky wrote:
> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
> problems, but failing that:
>
> Can you folks recommend a text editor that
> a) lets me click on links
> b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
> email program does.
> c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
> d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
> files.
> e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
> think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
> checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
> did.)
>

> Right now I'm using Notepad++ where urls work but the text is all black
> and white, and no graphics. It ha a and d but not b or c.
>
> And I've used my email (Eudora) which has all of 1-4 but other items in
> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>
> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.

I'm personally not interested in such a programs, so I have no
recommendations for you. But I have a suggestion:

Do a Goggle search, find all the text editors out there, try them all,
and see which one best meets your needs.

Re: text editor with features

<251220211230550806%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56734&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56734

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 12:30:55 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 17:30 UTC

In article <sq7997$upn$1@dont-email.me>, Mayayana
<mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> Microsoft's RichEdit window is an impressive piece of technology,
> and very fast. It was originally the basis of Word.

nope. microsoft word began as a dos app in the early 1980s, then
entirely rewritten for the original mac in 1985 which was later ported
to windows.

Re: text editor with features

<KJJxJ.1172918$AkN1.1105120@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56736&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56736

From: ded.mo...@veliky.ustyug.nospam (Ded Moroz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 18:50:12 -0000
 by: Ded Moroz - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 18:50 UTC

micky wrote:
> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
> problems, but failing that:
>
> Can you folks recommend a text editor that
> a) lets me click on links
> b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
> email program does.
> c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
> d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
> files.
> e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
> think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
> checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
> did.)

Windows Wordpad ("C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe")
will give you all of those things except d) multiple tabs.

Jarte ("https://www.jarte.com/features.html") will give you d) multiple
tabs, in addition to everything Wordpad will give you.

> Right now I'm using Notepad++ where urls work but the text is all black
> and white, and no graphics. It ha a and d but not b or c.
>
> And I've used my email (Eudora) which has all of 1-4 but other items in
> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>
> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.

To get b) and c), the program would have to be a word processor, not a
text editor.

Files saved with color and graphics will not be .txt plain text files.

Ded Moroz

Re: text editor with features

<4ock9i-a98.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56738&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56738

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:49:40 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:49 UTC

On 25/12/2021 14.41, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 25/12/2021 14.21, micky wrote:
>> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
>> problems, but failing that:

>> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>>
>> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
>> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.
>>

> The moment you add graphics, then you are seeking for word processors
> rather than text editors.
>
> And graphics means a lot of memory needed.

I forgot wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors

The list is not very good, it doesn't mention features, or for what
operating system they are. But it has a list of further links to see:

See also

Comparison of text editors
Editor war
Line editor
List of HTML editors
List of word processors
Outliner, a specialized type of word processor
Source code editor

Which is a good starting point.

The "List of word processors" has another list:

See also

Comparison of word processors
List of office suites
List of text editors

So, this is a good place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_word_processors

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: text editor with features

<krofsgpemuc1cectd1h980p3kmgcqsij0e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56747&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56747

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:47:32 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 03:47 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:19:19 -0500,
"Mayayana" <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:

>"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote
>
>| The moment you add graphics, then you are seeking for word processors
>| rather than text editors.
>|
>| And graphics means a lot of memory needed.

Maybe I can just resign myself to using LibreOffice, or iirc SWrite
which is the word processor. (And to using memory. Once I get back to
my desktop I'll have plenty of memory._

> It seems that Wordpad fills the bill, except for having tabs.

I think someone told me before that Wordpad could handle graphics, and I
thought I checked and decided he was wrong, or it didn't do it well
enough. But I know I can easily be wrong so I just checked again and
it's pretty good, maybe great. And it colors the text if you want (and
remembers the previous color), you can click on links,

And it doesn't have tabs but if you click on Open, it list recent files.
You have to save the current file to go to another one, although maybe I
can avoid that by starting separate windows. I'll try that. Yes, that
seems to work, and the hint in the taskbar includes what file I am
editing. (Most of the time I use just two files, To Do, and PhoneCall.
Sometimes Niece and a couple others. But even if I have 5 taskbar
entries, I can remember what order they are in or look at the hints.

>Microsoft's RichEdit window is an impressive piece of technology,
>and very fast. It was originally the basis of Word.

I found that last week in my Downloads or Programs directory, and didn't
remember why I had it. I'll try that too.

Re: text editor with features

<tepfsgl9ft4m7rq1c93hprr4hvf3fmc5g4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56748&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56748

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:49:33 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 03:49 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:49:40 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 25/12/2021 14.41, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 25/12/2021 14.21, micky wrote:
>>> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
>>> problems, but failing that:

>>> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>>>
>>> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
>>> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.
>>>

>> The moment you add graphics, then you are seeking for word processors
>> rather than text editors.
>>
>> And graphics means a lot of memory needed.
>>

>I forgot wikipedia:
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors
>
>The list is not very good, it doesn't mention features, or for what
>operating system they are. But it has a list of further links to see:
>
>See also
>
> Comparison of text editors

This is an impressive page. One or more people went to an awful lot of
work to write it, and yet it doesn't say much about what I wanted to
know. But I enjoyed looking at it and I haven't closed the page yet.
> Editor war
> Line editor
> List of HTML editors
> List of word processors
> Outliner, a specialized type of word processor
> Source code editor
>

>Which is a good starting point.
>
>The "List of word processors" has another list:
>
>See also
>
> Comparison of word processors
> List of office suites
> List of text editors
>

>So, this is a good place:
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_word_processors

Thanks for this

And thanks everyone.

Re: text editor with features

<rkpfsg18gmhvb37c80t49761ap4adfcoae@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56749&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56749

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:51:29 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 03:51 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:52:49 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I hoped that under the tree would be a solution to all my software
>> problems, but failing that:
>>
>> Can you folks recommend a text editor that
>> a) lets me click on links
>> b) lets me color sections of text in any of several colors, like my
>> email program does.
>> c) lets me display graphics, photos, etc.
>> d) multiple tabs or something that makes it easy to edit different
>> files.
>> e) Doesn't have the overhead that Word or LibreOffice do. At least I
>> think that those too use a lot of RAM and cpu cycles. (I could have
>> checked first, but until I started to write this, I was certain they
>> did.)
>
>Sounds like a job for HTML, maybe etherpad?

I'll try it.

>Even if you don't need the collaborative editing, maybe being able to edit it
>from multiple computers would be handy?

Maybe.

Are you sure the ether won't put me to sleep?

Re: text editor with features

<drpfsghe96o8de4tfj92ucauq8i3gpl6bq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56750&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56750

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:05:21 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 04:05 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:01:18 -0500, Big Al
<Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>I use Notepad++ and find it has great features, but is just a text editor.
>Like others say, if you add graphics, it's no longer a text editor.
>
>Notepad++ is also setup to colorize your text based on the extension (type of file). CSS code might color one way, highlighting css

I had a little experience with CSS, but I only cppied what I was told.

>functions, comments etc.
>HTML will colorize another way.
>All forms are set in default config files that you can edit if you can get through the learning curve of their config.

Learning curve. :-)

>In Linux, not sure if it's available to Windows, but I use geany there.

The About page uses a bunch of words I don't u nderstand like "special
Desktop Environment like KDE or GNOME - Geany only requires the GTK3
runtime libraries."

But then a few lines down it says "Geany is known to run under Linux,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, MacOS X, AIX v5.3, Solaris Express and
Windows." I almost missed the word Windows.

On the download page there are links! I'll try it.

This is a bit closer to a IDE, but the plus for it is that it's fast
and can handle larger files.

Re: text editor with features

<jgqfsgh1g138l7judv74kp3k1ikctqnfl9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56751&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56751

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:06:33 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 04:06 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 07:53:55 -0700, Ken Blake
<Ken@invalidinvalid.com> wrote:

>> And I've used my email (Eudora) which has all of 1-4 but other items in
>> the outbox keep making it hard to find the file I want.
>>
>> Some other text editors seem mainly for programming and regard each line
>> separately, don't flow paragraphs like I want.
>
>I'm personally not interested in such a programs, so I have no
>recommendations for you. But I have a suggestion:
>
>Do a Goggle search, find all the text editors out there, try them all,
>and see which one best meets your needs.

Good idea. I'll post my findings in two years.

Re: text editor with features

<fjqfsg93ilduu3ks69r4pkq1fvkjdf3qtn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56752&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56752

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:07:52 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 04:07 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 18:50:12 -0000, Ded Moroz
<ded.moroz@veliky.ustyug.nospam> wrote:

>Windows Wordpad ("C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe")
>will give you all of those things except d) multiple tabs.
>
>Jarte ("https://www.jarte.com/features.html") will give you d) multiple
>tabs, in addition to everything Wordpad will give you.

Just when I convinced myself I could live without tabs. I'll try jarte!

Thanks and thanks everyone.

Re: text editor with features

<0mqfsg9okuil5slc8mlu1c8kjuodib1fkf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56753&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56753

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:10:06 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 04:10 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:30:09 -0500, Paul
<nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>You can use LibreOffice for multimedia if you want.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice
>
>HTML allows mixed media, and in an email tool, it
>could be an HTML Editor that allows pasting stuff in.
>
>But true text editors, don't allow fluffy features like that.
>
> Paul

FWIW, I'm not really a fluffy kind of guy, but I frequently want to copy
patches of webpages to my notes, or even a picture from the web.
Usually it gets deleted after I discuss it with someone.

If the others don't work, Libreoffice it is.

Re: text editor with features

<cqsfsg9r33aobgjtelh2c0u24ql6slndko@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56757&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56757

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:50:41 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 04:50 UTC

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:10:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:30:09 -0500, Paul
><nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>

>>You can use LibreOffice for multimedia if you want.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice
>>
>>HTML allows mixed media, and in an email tool, it
>>could be an HTML Editor that allows pasting stuff in.
>>
>>But true text editors, don't allow fluffy features like that.
>>
>> Paul
>
>FWIW, I'm not really a fluffy kind of guy, but I frequently want to copy
>patches of webpages to my notes, or even a picture from the web.
>Usually it gets deleted after I discuss it with someone.
>
>If the others don't work, Libreoffice it is.

If you already have a version of MS Office that includes OneNote, I
believe that will do everything that you asked for. Then again, I
haven't gone back to review your list of requirements. I know it has
tabs and I know you can paste anything into it, including plain text,
rich text, audio, video, graphics, and who knows what else.

The free alternative to OneNote is called Evernote. A couple of my work
colleagues like Evernote better than OneNote.

https://evernote.com/free

Re: text editor with features

<4l5gsg5vda667g00g790be6f1ld2gl6obm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56763&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56763

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 02:19:48 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 07:19 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:50:41 -0600, Char
Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:10:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:30:09 -0500, Paul
>><nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>>You can use LibreOffice for multimedia if you want.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice
>>>
>>>HTML allows mixed media, and in an email tool, it
>>>could be an HTML Editor that allows pasting stuff in.
>>>
>>>But true text editors, don't allow fluffy features like that.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>>FWIW, I'm not really a fluffy kind of guy, but I frequently want to copy
>>patches of webpages to my notes, or even a picture from the web.
>>Usually it gets deleted after I discuss it with someone.
>>
>>If the others don't work, Libreoffice it is.
>
>If you already have a version of MS Office that includes OneNote, I
>believe that will do everything that you asked for. Then again, I
>haven't gone back to review your list of requirements. I know it has
>tabs and I know you can paste anything into it, including plain text,
>rich text, audio, video, graphics, and who knows what else.
>
>The free alternative to OneNote is called Evernote. A couple of my work
>colleagues like Evernote better than OneNote.
>
>https://evernote.com/free

An abundance of riches. I'll try it.

Re: text editor with features

<MPG.3c3271fe5191c9c598998f@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56766&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56766

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:35:51 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:35 UTC

In article <cqsfsg9r33aobgjtelh2c0u24ql6slndko@4ax.com>, none@none.invalid
says...

> On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:10:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:30:09 -0500, Paul
> ><nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
> >

> >>You can use LibreOffice for multimedia if you want.
> >>
> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice
> >>
> >>HTML allows mixed media, and in an email tool, it
> >>could be an HTML Editor that allows pasting stuff in.
> >>
> >>But true text editors, don't allow fluffy features like that.
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> >FWIW, I'm not really a fluffy kind of guy, but I frequently want to copy
> >patches of webpages to my notes, or even a picture from the web.
> >Usually it gets deleted after I discuss it with someone.
> >
> >If the others don't work, Libreoffice it is.
>
> If you already have a version of MS Office that includes OneNote, I
> believe that will do everything that you asked for. Then again, I
> haven't gone back to review your list of requirements. I know it has
> tabs and I know you can paste anything into it, including plain text,
> rich text, audio, video, graphics, and who knows what else.
>
> The free alternative to OneNote is called Evernote. A couple of my work
> colleagues like Evernote better than OneNote.
>
> https://evernote.com/free

+1 for OneNote. I couldn't exist without it now. Lots for formatting options,
and you can set hyperlinks to paragraphs within OneNote (or pages, or sections)
as well as websites, and files. It's become an "index" to my entire life.
Whenever I get some snippet of information (like to to disassemble the sofa we
bought) then it goes into OneNote, and the powerful search facility can find it
when we need it in a few years.

--

Phil, London

Re: text editor with features

<j2rglmFat50U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56772&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56772

From: Ken...@invalidinvalid.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 08:39:34 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 15:39 UTC

On 12/26/2021 12:19 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:50:41 -0600, Char
> Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:10:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:

>>>FWIW, I'm not really a fluffy kind of guy, but I frequently want to copy
>>>patches of webpages to my notes, or even a picture from the web.
>>>Usually it gets deleted after I discuss it with someone.
>>>
>>>If the others don't work, Libreoffice it is.
>>
>>If you already have a version of MS Office that includes OneNote, I
>>believe that will do everything that you asked for. Then again, I
>>haven't gone back to review your list of requirements. I know it has
>>tabs and I know you can paste anything into it, including plain text,
>>rich text, audio, video, graphics, and who knows what else.
>>
>>The free alternative to OneNote is called Evernote. A couple of my work
>>colleagues like Evernote better than OneNote.
>>
>>https://evernote.com/free
>
> An abundance of riches. I'll try it.

I use Evernote, and, like Char's colleagues, prefer it to OneNote.

Re: text editor with features

<us8hsgdj594vrpv3mc8hbo97sgv8p5cl6j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56774&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56774

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 12:19:02 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:19 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:50:41 -0600, Char
Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:10:06 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:30:09 -0500, Paul
>><nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>>You can use LibreOffice for multimedia if you want.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice
>>>
>>>HTML allows mixed media, and in an email tool, it
>>>could be an HTML Editor that allows pasting stuff in.
>>>
>>>But true text editors, don't allow fluffy features like that.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>>FWIW, I'm not really a fluffy kind of guy, but I frequently want to copy
>>patches of webpages to my notes, or even a picture from the web.
>>Usually it gets deleted after I discuss it with someone.
>>
>>If the others don't work, Libreoffice it is.
>
>If you already have a version of MS Office that includes OneNote, I
>believe that will do everything that you asked for. Then again, I
>haven't gone back to review your list of requirements. I know it has
>tabs and I know you can paste anything into it, including plain text,
>rich text, audio, video, graphics, and who knows what else.
>
>The free alternative to OneNote is called Evernote. A couple of my work
>colleagues like Evernote better than OneNote.
>
>https://evernote.com/free

It turns out OneNote is included in Win10 now. This seems like bad news
for the authors of EverNote. I'm going to try one or the other.

Re: text editor with features

<sllm9i-92b.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56775&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56775

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:34:20 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:34 UTC

On 26/12/2021 04.49, micky wrote:
> In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:49:40 +0100, "Carlos
> E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> On 25/12/2021 14.41, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>>> On 25/12/2021 14.21, micky wrote:

>> I forgot wikipedia:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_text_editors
>>
>> The list is not very good, it doesn't mention features, or for what
>> operating system they are. But it has a list of further links to see:
>>
>> See also
>>
>> Comparison of text editors
>
> This is an impressive page. One or more people went to an awful lot of
> work to write it, and yet it doesn't say much about what I wanted to
> know. But I enjoyed looking at it and I haven't closed the page yet.
>> Editor war
>> Line editor
>> List of HTML editors
>> List of word processors
>> Outliner, a specialized type of word processor
>> Source code editor
>>

>> Which is a good starting point.
>>
>> The "List of word processors" has another list:
>>
>> See also
>>
>> Comparison of word processors
>> List of office suites
>> List of text editors
>>

>> So, this is a good place:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_word_processors
>
> Thanks for this
>
> And thanks everyone.

Welcome.

Try "TED".

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: text editor with features

<libhsg1iepn6smge42b0k1bec05fcvcg3a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56779&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56779

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:03:18 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:03 UTC

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:34:20 +0100, "Carlos
E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>> And thanks everyone.
>
>Welcome.
>
>Try "TED".

I just installed it, and I'll try it.

>--
>Cheers, Carlos.

Re: text editor with features

<drcg8umk1bs3.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56791&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56791

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:40:31 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:40 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Ded Moroz wrote:
>
>>Windows Wordpad ("C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe")
>>will give you all of those things except d) multiple tabs.
>>
>>Jarte ("https://www.jarte.com/features.html") will give you d) multiple
>>tabs, in addition to everything Wordpad will give you.
>
> Just when I convinced myself I could live without tabs. I'll try
> jarte!

https://www.jarte.com/index.html
Stable WordPad Editing Engine
At the heart of Jarte sits the same word processing engine used by
Windows' WordPad. ...

Jarte Plus (now free) is a GUI frontend to WordPad that can, for
example, manage the multiple windows of WordPad into multiple tabs.

Instead of tabs, why can't you have multiple WordPad windows open? You
could drag them to the screen edges to snap them there, and have
multiple non-overlapping WordPad windows to bounce between. There are
several ways to concurrently display multiple windows, even those opened
by the same program.

How many concurrently opened documents will you have that you need to
bounce between when editing them? Even with tabs, you'll have to bounce
between them as you would with WordPad windows.

https://www.idgcdn.com.au/products/image/4811/angle/7/614x480/126739/

With multiple windows (instead of tabs), you can align them side by side
(vertically or horizontally) to see both documents.