As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: samba problem - I think

SubjectAuthor
* samba problem - I thinkpinnerite
+- Re: samba problem - I thinkjim.gm4dhj
+* Re: samba problem - I thinkNic
|`- Re: samba problem - I thinkpinnerite
+- Re: samba problem - I thinkDavid W. Hodgins
+- Re: samba problem - I thinkJohn Rumm
+* Re: samba problem - I thinkPaul
|`* Re: samba problem - I thinkPaul
| +- Re: samba problem - I thinkThe Natural Philosopher
| +* Re: samba problem - I thinkpinnerite
| |+* Re: samba problem - I thinkNic
| ||`* Re: samba problem - I thinkRod Speed
| || `* Re: samba problem - I thinkNic
| ||  +- Re: samba problem - I thinkRod Speed
| ||  `- Re: samba problem - I thinkPaul
| |`- Re: samba problem - I thinkPaul
| `- Re: samba problem - I thinkpinnerite
+- Re: samba problem - I thinkAndrei Z.
`- Re: samba problem - I thinkSH

1
samba problem - I think

<20230310192511.7a267343c7864ff30c6d3f52@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5684&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5684

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Subject: samba problem - I think
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:25:11 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:25 UTC

For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.

I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.

Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
platform.

The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
using samba.

I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
data.

Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
the data.

Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
in December 2022.

Everything worked perfectly.

So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.

Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?

TIA, Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: samba problem - I think

<tug09i$239hp$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5685&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5685

From: kinvig.n...@ntlworld.com (jim.gm4dhj)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: samba problem - I think
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:26:43 +0000
 by: jim.gm4dhj - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:26 UTC

On 10/03/2023 19:25, pinnerite wrote:
> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>
> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>
> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> platform.
>
> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> using samba.
>
> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> data.
>
> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> the data.
>
> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> in December 2022.
>
> Everything worked perfectly.
>
> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>
> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
>
> TIA, Alan

bloody computers who would have them...

Re: samba problem - I think

<RWLOL.289815$Ldj8.187571@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5686&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5686

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:55:29 -0500
 by: Nic - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:55 UTC

On 3/10/23 14:25, pinnerite wrote:
> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>
> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>
> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> platform.
>
> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> using samba.
>
> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> data.
>
> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> the data.
>
> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> in December 2022.
>
> Everything worked perfectly.
>
> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>
> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
>
> TIA, Alan

Can you look at your history of updates in the update manager to see
what update has caused this problem?

Re: samba problem - I think

<op.11lxh0t5a3w0dxdave@hodgins.homeip.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5687&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5687

From: dwhodg...@nomail.afraid.org (David W. Hodgins)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 15:21:26 -0500
 by: David W. Hodgins - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 20:21 UTC

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:25:11 -0500, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>
> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>
> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> platform.
>
> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> using samba.
>
> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> data.
>
> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> the data.

Samba has made several fixes to tighten security. See for example
https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.16.8.html

You can choose to use an older version of samba, but be careful to ensure
that it can not be accessed by untrusted software.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Re: samba problem - I think

<tug8id$24i3l$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5688&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5688

From: see.my.s...@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:47:57 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:47 UTC

On 10/03/2023 19:25, pinnerite wrote:
> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>
> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>
> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> platform.
>
> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> using samba.
>
> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> data.
>
> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> the data.
>
> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> in December 2022.
>
> Everything worked perfectly.
>
> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>
> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?

Check the windows update has not disabled the "insecure" SMB1 client...
there is a program (that you can turn off) that does that periodically!

Got setings -> apps and features - Optional Features -> More windows
features (down the bottom).

Then scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support

Turn off the "Automatic Removal", bit and turn on the Client / server as
required.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: samba problem - I think

<tugplt$27emo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5690&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5690

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:39:58 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 02:39 UTC

On 3/10/2023 2:25 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>
> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>
> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> platform.
>
> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> using samba.
>
> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> data.
>
> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> the data.
>
> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> in December 2022.
>
> Everything worked perfectly.
>
> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>
> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
>
> TIA, Alan

There is SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.

WinXP has only SMB1. Win10 supports all three.

The three of them aren't that much different, it's just
that the later versions of SAMBA support operation
across the Internet better, by using better crypto.

In Win10

Start : Run : control # Make control panel icon appear on task bar
# Right click the icon, select "Pin to Taskbar"

Programs and Features : Windows Features # Look for the SMB1 item, switch on two of three lines
# You want the "automatic removal of this feature" to
# be unticked.

In services.msc on Win10, there are two services beginning
with the word "Function" in their name. One of them has
the modern version of nameserving in it (so you can refer
to your machines by their symbolic name).

Now, having checked all of that, the latest twist in the
saga, is the more modern Windows OSes "brow beat" their legacy
OS friends.

If Windows 11 comes up first on a network, it will win
the network browser election (become the Master), which is
normal. But having done so, it will kick the shit out of
WinXP or Windows 7 when they come up. The modern OSes ensure
that the other OSes can't see anything.

I noticed, that if you start the legacy OSes first, one of
them becomes the network browser master, and the more modern
OSes then play nicely with the protocol.

But generally speaking, it is mostly a waste of time thinking
symbolic access will work.

nautilus smb://wallace/shared # You cannot expect this to work.
# The network neighbourhood icon, never works on any box

nautilus smb://102.168.0.2/shared # This works.

On Windows, the name might work. Sometimes.

explorer.exe \\wallace\shared # Works occasionally

explorer.exe \\192.168.0.2\shared # Works a bit better

Some VM hosts, don't use the same subnets as the
rest of your physical machines. To make Win10 Guest
play nicely, you can modify the netmask with a Powershell
command. Then, your computing solutions can see one another.

But generally, it's a mess, and they only seek to make it worse
not better.

For the person at Microsoft maintaining this stuff, the
versions and dialects of SAMBA means the test matrix
(proving it works) is huge. On the Linux side, nobody
cares any more. It will remain in the same broken state
from one release to the next. At the pinnacle of Linux SAMBA
achievement, there was one release where it all worked.
You could use the GUI, and the automation would wire up
the needed bits (install package manager items for you),
and it could "just work". But all of that work slipped
back into the software ooze. The web articles on setting
up a client manually, the suggestions may or may not work.
You might need to be added to a particular group (sambausers?).

Paul

Re: samba problem - I think

<tuhcnk$1l1sv$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5692&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5692

From: no-em...@invalid.invalid (Andrei Z.)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 11:05:08 +0300
 by: Andrei Z. - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 08:05 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>
> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>
> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> platform.
>
> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> using samba.
>
> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> data.
>
> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> the data.
>
> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> in December 2022.
>
> Everything worked perfectly.
>
> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>
> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
>
> TIA, Alan

Bug #2009863
Upgrade from Samba 4.13 to 4.15 results in "dlopen(pam_winbind.so):
/lib/security/pam_winbind.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/2009863

Re: samba problem - I think

<tuhg5u$1pho$4@news.cyber23.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5694&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5694

From: i.l...@spam.me (SH)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:04:00 +0000
 by: SH - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 09:04 UTC

On 10/03/2023 19:25, pinnerite wrote:
> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>
> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>
> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> platform.
>
> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> using samba.
>
> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> data.
>
> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> the data.
>
> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> in December 2022.
>
> Everything worked perfectly.
>
> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>
> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
>
> TIA, Alan

This sounds like SMB v1.0 and SMB v2.0 has been disabled on the Windows
VMs so that SMB v3.0 is then the only "option" by default.

You need to turn SMB 1.0 and SMB 2.0 back on and you will get the usual
security warnings on the windows VMs.

Or you could upgrade Linux to support SMB 3.0 or it could just need
enabling?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3?tabs=server

https://www.osetc.com/en/how-to-configure-samba-server-to-use-smbv2-or-smbv3-protocol-in-linux.html

Re: samba problem - I think

<20230311133008.1bfcf3bad4720e3824f7d992@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5695&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5695

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:30:08 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:30 UTC

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:55:29 -0500
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 3/10/23 14:25, pinnerite wrote:
> > For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> > running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
> >
> > I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> > programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
> >
> > Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> > platform.
> >
> > The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> > using samba.
> >
> > I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> > data.
> >
> > Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> > the data.
> >
> > Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> > in December 2022.
> >
> > Everything worked perfectly.
> >
> > So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
> >
> > Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
> >
> > TIA, Alan
> >

> Can you look at your history of updates in the update manager to see
> what update has caused this problem?

It looks like an update 2023-03-08 caused the problem.
The earliest timeshift entry is for the same date.

Presumably I can uninstall the installed version (2:4.15.12) from synaptic.

But how do I install version 2:4.13.17?

Oh! The Windows 10 problem was fixed by an smb.conf tweak.

I had had: server max protocol = NT1 I changed it to min.

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: samba problem - I think

<tujtl4$2vcft$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5697&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5697

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 03:06:11 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 07:06 UTC

On 3/10/2023 9:39 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 3/10/2023 2:25 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
>> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>>
>> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
>> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>>
>> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
>> platform.
>>
>> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
>> using samba.
>>
>> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
>> data.
>>
>> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
>> the data.
>>
>> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
>> in December 2022.
>>
>> Everything worked perfectly.
>>
>> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>>
>> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
>>
>> TIA, Alan
>
> There is SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.

it took me quite a while to tip my Linux drive upright again.
(A restore from backup didn't quite do what it was supposed to do.)

I did a do-partial-upgrade on a 20.04.3 to 20.04.5 and
the 4.15 SAMBA came in. Initially, nothing worked.

I added these to smb.conf, as an experiment.

server min protocol = NT1
client min protocol = NT1
client lanman auth = yes
ntlm auth = yes

and EVERYTHING worked after that. My test share ("server test") on
Ubuntu 20.04.5 worked (it was set up a while back), as well as the
client worked with a Windows 11 that had SMBV1 turned on in Windows Features.

Paul

Re: samba problem - I think

<tujvkt$2vfh8$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5698&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5698

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 07:40:13 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 07:40 UTC

On 12/03/2023 07:06, Paul wrote:
> On 3/10/2023 9:39 PM, Paul wrote:
>> On 3/10/2023 2:25 PM, pinnerite wrote:
>>> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
>>> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
>>>
>>> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
>>> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
>>>
>>> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
>>> platform.
>>>
>>> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
>>> using samba.
>>>
>>> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
>>> data.
>>>
>>> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
>>> the data.
>>>
>>> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
>>> in December 2022.
>>>
>>> Everything worked perfectly.
>>>
>>> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
>>>
>>> TIA, Alan
>>
>> There is SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.
>
> it took me quite a while to tip my Linux drive upright again.
> (A restore from backup didn't quite do what it was supposed to do.)
>
> I did a do-partial-upgrade on a 20.04.3 to 20.04.5 and
> the 4.15 SAMBA came in. Initially, nothing worked.
>
> I added these to smb.conf, as an experiment.
>
> server min protocol = NT1
> client min protocol = NT1
> client lanman auth = yes
> ntlm auth = yes
>
> and EVERYTHING worked after that. My test share ("server test") on
> Ubuntu 20.04.5 worked (it was set up a while back), as well as the
> client worked with a Windows 11 that had SMBV1 turned on in Windows
> Features.
>
>    Paul
I remember having too do similar back in the day when I still used samba.

But I don't use it any more, not even for my windows VM.

You don't need it to access a local hard drive under virtual box. And my
NFS mounted server partitions appear as 'local drives' to windows.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Re: samba problem - I think

<20230312154645.4b3e46d435f8d3281bb3a4c9@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5700&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5700

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:46:45 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:46 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 03:06:11 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 3/10/2023 9:39 PM, Paul wrote:
> > On 3/10/2023 2:25 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> >> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> >> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
> >>
> >> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> >> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
> >>
> >> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> >> platform.
> >>
> >> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> >> using samba.
> >>
> >> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> >> data.
> >>
> >> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> >> the data.
> >>
> >> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> >> in December 2022.
> >>
> >> Everything worked perfectly.
> >>
> >> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
> >>
> >> TIA, Alan
> >
> > There is SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.
>
> it took me quite a while to tip my Linux drive upright again.
> (A restore from backup didn't quite do what it was supposed to do.)
>
> I did a do-partial-upgrade on a 20.04.3 to 20.04.5 and
> the 4.15 SAMBA came in. Initially, nothing worked.
>
> I added these to smb.conf, as an experiment.
>
> server min protocol = NT1
> client min protocol = NT1
> client lanman auth = yes
> ntlm auth = yes
>
> and EVERYTHING worked after that. My test share ("server test") on
> Ubuntu 20.04.5 worked (it was set up a while back), as well as the
> client worked with a Windows 11 that had SMBV1 turned on in Windows Features.
>
> Paul

I just ran up a clean 21.1 installation.
Virtual XP still cannot access the Linux folders.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
DRAM.

Re: samba problem - I think

<20230312121530.b528b3be3917ae28b20f6a45@none.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5701&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5701

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:15:30 -0400
 by: Nic - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 16:15 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:46:45 +0000
pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 03:06:11 -0400
>Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>> > There is SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.
>>
>> it took me quite a while to tip my Linux drive upright again.
>> (A restore from backup didn't quite do what it was supposed to do.)
>>
>> I did a do-partial-upgrade on a 20.04.3 to 20.04.5 and
>> the 4.15 SAMBA came in. Initially, nothing worked.
>>
>> I added these to smb.conf, as an experiment.
>>
>> server min protocol = NT1
>> client min protocol = NT1
>> client lanman auth = yes
>> ntlm auth = yes
>>
>> and EVERYTHING worked after that. My test share ("server test") on
>> Ubuntu 20.04.5 worked (it was set up a while back), as well as the
>> client worked with a Windows 11 that had SMBV1 turned on in Windows Features.
>>
>> Paul
>
>I just ran up a clean 21.1 installation.
>Virtual XP still cannot access the Linux folders.
>
>Alan
>

>--
>Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
>running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
>DRAM.

Given that you are using a m$ product to drive a machine, it might be more cost effective to look at some of those dell laptop latitudes selling for around $100. The cost of the machine includes a license for w7 or w10, the cost of the machine is almost equal to the cost of the license. Using a dedicated machine would seem to answer your problem.

Re: samba problem - I think

<op.11pfvigjbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5702&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5702

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 04:51:08 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:51 UTC

On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:15:30 +1100, Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:46:45 +0000
> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 03:06:11 -0400
>> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> cloned

>>> it took me quite a while to tip my Linux drive upright again.
>>> (A restore from backup didn't quite do what it was supposed to do.)
>>>
>>> I did a do-partial-upgrade on a 20.04.3 to 20.04.5 and
>>> the 4.15 SAMBA came in. Initially, nothing worked.
>>>
>>> I added these to smb.conf, as an experiment.
>>>
>>> server min protocol = NT1
>>> client min protocol = NT1
>>> client lanman auth = yes
>>> ntlm auth = yes
>>>
>>> and EVERYTHING worked after that. My test share ("server test") on
>>> Ubuntu 20.04.5 worked (it was set up a while back), as well as the
>>> client worked with a Windows 11 that had SMBV1 turned on in Windows
>>> Features.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> I just ran up a clean 21.1 installation.
>> Virtual XP still cannot access the Linux folders.
>>
>> Alan
>>

>> --
>> Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
>> running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
>> DRAM.
>
> Given that you are using a m$ product to drive a machine, it might be
> more cost effective to look at some of those dell laptop latitudes
> selling for around $100. The cost of the machine includes a license for
> w7 or w10, the cost of the machine is almost equal to the cost of the
> license.

A W10 license doesn't cost anything like that.

> Using a dedicated machine would seem to answer your problem.

Re: samba problem - I think

<H4pPL.1004427$MVg8.252514@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5703&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5703

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 14:44:55 -0400
 by: Nic - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 18:44 UTC

On 3/12/23 13:51, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:15:30 +1100, Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 15:46:45 +0000
>> pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I just ran up a clean 21.1 installation.
>>> Virtual XP still cannot access the Linux folders.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
>>> running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
>>> DRAM.
>>
>> Given that you are using a m$ product to drive a machine, it might be
>> more cost effective to look at some of those dell laptop latitudes
>> selling for around $100. The cost of the machine includes a license
>> for w7 or w10, the cost of the machine is almost equal to the cost of
>> the license.
>
> A W10 license doesn't cost anything like that.
>
>> Using a dedicated machine would seem to answer your problem.
What does a license cost?

Re: samba problem - I think

<op.11pjx4i9byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5704&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5704

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 06:19:06 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:19 UTC

$5 or so, Rumm listed it recently.

Re: samba problem - I think

<20230312210814.4940f80616d2cc6cb70113ec@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5705&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5705

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:08:14 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:08 UTC

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 03:06:11 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 3/10/2023 9:39 PM, Paul wrote:
> > On 3/10/2023 2:25 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> >> For many years I have had to retain two Windows virtual machines,
> >> running on a Linux host and VirtualBox.
> >>
> >> I need Windows XP for a large home-grown 16 bit programe and for a
> >> programme that drives a Fujitsu cut-sheet feeder-scanner.
> >>
> >> Windows 10 is for professional software not available on any other
> >> platform.
> >>
> >> The data files are all on Linux partitions and accessed from Windows
> >> using samba.
> >>
> >> I have to use the lowest security protocol for Windows to access the
> >> data.
> >>
> >> Today, I discovered that from both Windows I could not longer access
> >> the data.
> >>
> >> Eventually I powered down and then up again using a drive last cloned
> >> in December 2022.
> >>
> >> Everything worked perfectly.
> >>
> >> So it seems an update has clobbered my machine.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else using samba suffered from this problem?
> >>
> >> TIA, Alan
> >
> > There is SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.
>
> it took me quite a while to tip my Linux drive upright again.
> (A restore from backup didn't quite do what it was supposed to do.)
>
> I did a do-partial-upgrade on a 20.04.3 to 20.04.5 and
> the 4.15 SAMBA came in. Initially, nothing worked.
>
> I added these to smb.conf, as an experiment.
>
> server min protocol = NT1
> client min protocol = NT1
> client lanman auth = yes
> ntlm auth = yes
>
> and EVERYTHING worked after that. My test share ("server test") on
> Ubuntu 20.04.5 worked (it was set up a while back), as well as the
> client worked with a Windows 11 that had SMBV1 turned on in Windows Features.
>
> Paul

So on Mint 21.1, that seems to work for Windows 10 but not for XP.

I tried using VBox's shared directories. They show up all right.
Some programs could be made to run but the two important programs that
make me still need XP just wouldn't.

I have gone back to 20.3 until I can unblock this problem.

I may be some time.

Regards, Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
DRAM.

Re: samba problem - I think

<tulfn3$381ok$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5706&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5706

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:20:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:20 UTC

On 3/12/2023 11:46 AM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 03:06:11 -0400
> Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

>>> There is SMB1, SMB2, SMB3.
>>
>> it took me quite a while to tip my Linux drive upright again.
>> (A restore from backup didn't quite do what it was supposed to do.)
>>
>> I did a do-partial-upgrade on a 20.04.3 to 20.04.5 and
>> the 4.15 SAMBA came in. Initially, nothing worked.
>>
>> I added these to smb.conf, as an experiment.
>>
>> server min protocol = NT1
>> client min protocol = NT1
>> client lanman auth = yes
>> ntlm auth = yes
>>
>> and EVERYTHING worked after that. My test share ("server test") on
>> Ubuntu 20.04.5 worked (it was set up a while back), as well as the
>> client worked with a Windows 11 that had SMBV1 turned on in Windows Features.
>>
>> Paul
>
> I just ran up a clean 21.1 installation.
> Virtual XP still cannot access the Linux folders.
>
> Alan

OK, the 4.15 SAMBA is a rat bastard. But I did get around it.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/W1f4W1Mj/drop-that-security.gif

The evidence suggests there is an authentication problem
when logging into LM211 with its 4.15 Samba version. But doing my Googling,
there is more than one way to authenticate, so I am unable to
determine what "method" happens to be failing. It might be PAM,
it might be something else. But ripping the arms off the thing,
makes it behave. You can declare the share LM211 is offering,
to be a public one.

LM211 was already on my hard drive, and all it
required is a giant update to prepare for experiments.
This is the hard drive that did not restore nicely from
a backup, but ripping more arms off that, got it running again :-)
The root cause there, was (apparently) leaving some GPT partition
tables on a drive (not sufficient cleaning) before starting
brand new experiments. A mistake made months ago. Oops.
I had to clean it with a hex editor.

Paul

Re: samba problem - I think

<tulhn1$38l0v$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5707&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5707

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint,alt.os.linux.mageia,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 17:54:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 12 Mar 2023 21:54 UTC

On 3/12/2023 2:44 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 3/12/23 13:51, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 03:15:30 +1100, Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>>
>> A W10 license doesn't cost anything like that.
>>
>>> Using a dedicated machine would seem to answer your problem.
> What does a license cost?

There are sources of discount licenses. People would not be
interested in them, unless they were $30 or less. Versus $100
or $150 or whatever, at retail.

It's pretty hard to tell just where these licenses have come
from, because Microsoft does not offer a public tool for
"lineage" work. I don't think MGAdiag will tell you where they
got that license from.

And these licenses are not VLK, or they'd be broken by now.
These are not materials from a "rogue mom and pop computer store".
And considering the price, they're not from a MSDN subscription
either. With an MSDN subscription, you get some licenses with that.

Paul