Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste -- ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

SubjectAuthor
* Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?VanguardLH
|`* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?VanguardLH
|  `- Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?malone
|`- Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?Paul
|`* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?malone
| +* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?Paul
| |`- Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|  `* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?malone
|   `* Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|    `- Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?VanguardLH
`- Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?Roger Mills

1
Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<hAWoXLj9iPyhFwa5@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56790&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56790

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:20:29 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:20 UTC

My friend has a paid version of TR (recently transferred from 7, where
it worked fine, to 10, where it has the following problem).

It can create MP3 files OK (has access to the Lame or whatever codec
needed [actually loaded with something else]). But it can't _play_ MP3
files. (It isn't her default MP3 player, but should be able to when told
to). It says it hasn't got the appropriate codec. It's help gives three
possible causes with solutions - drat, I should have noted them more
carefully before shutting it down, but they were something like: I
forget the first one exactly, but it didn't work - the only copies I
could find of the file (name began with al3, IIRR) were in SxS; the
second involved re-registering (?) it, using regsvr32 - that said
something like "file found but doesn't have the entry point registerDLL"
(whether I tried running it on either file in SxS, or copying to
\windows\system32 and running it on there); and the third was re-extract
it from the Windows XP source CD, which was not to hand.

Total Recorder is 8.6, from 2018; according to their website, that's up
to date and 10-compatible.

The onweb help (a 2xx-page .pdf file!) is dated 2013, and gives the same
three causes/"solutions" as the inbuilt help.

Anyone using this on 10, got the same prob. when loading (File, Open) an
..p3 file, and solved it?

You make it from scratch?
Yep.
Do you make your own scratch?
--
"pyotr filipivich" in alt.windows7.general 2017-5-20

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<dwg06u6o11ll.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56793&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56793

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 18:34:47 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:34 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> My friend has a paid version of TR (recently transferred from 7, where
> it worked fine, to 10, where it has the following problem).
>
> It can create MP3 files OK (has access to the Lame or whatever codec
> needed [actually loaded with something else]). But it can't _play_ MP3
> files. (It isn't her default MP3 player, but should be able to when told
> to). It says it hasn't got the appropriate codec. It's help gives three
> possible causes with solutions - drat, I should have noted them more
> carefully before shutting it down, but they were something like: I
> forget the first one exactly, but it didn't work - the only copies I
> could find of the file (name began with al3, IIRR) were in SxS; the
> second involved re-registering (?) it, using regsvr32 - that said
> something like "file found but doesn't have the entry point registerDLL"
> (whether I tried running it on either file in SxS, or copying to
> \windows\system32 and running it on there); and the third was re-extract
> it from the Windows XP source CD, which was not to hand.
>
> Total Recorder is 8.6, from 2018; according to their website, that's up
> to date and 10-compatible.
>
> The onweb help (a 2xx-page .pdf file!) is dated 2013, and gives the same
> three causes/"solutions" as the inbuilt help.
>
> Anyone using this on 10, got the same prob. when loading (File, Open) an
> .p3 file, and solved it?

I don't know if Total Recorder uses its own codec store, like with VLC's
VLAN. If so, could be a corrupted codec. Odd it can save .mp3 files
(using the coder portion of the codec), but cannot play .mp3 files
(using the decoder portion of the same codec). If it has not way to
restore its private codec store, you could try uninstalling it, do the
remnant registry and file cleanup, especially if the folder for its
private codec store remains after uninstall, and reinstall the program.
A fresh install would be easier having the installer registry the DLL
files than you digging into each .dll file to find in which the MP3
codec was buried, and then re-registering that .dll file into the
registry.

At http://www.totalrecorder.com/downloads.htm, I did not see a download
for a codec pack to supplant the ones included in an installation.
Either they didn't think their codec store would ever get corrupted, or
they're using a global codec store (those defined in the registry, not
in a subfolder under the program's installation folder).

http://www.totalrecorder.com/downloads.htm

The only edition mentioned there that supports playback is their
VideoPro edition. The other editions only mention recording. Maybe
they expect you to use a different program as the player, like VLC's
VideoLAN (VLAN). Presuming you have a video/audio player, do the .mp3
files playback okay in a differen MP3-capable player?

Since you paid for the program, and they even mention they support their
free trial version (probably only until the trial expiration), you could
contact them at:

support@highcriteria.com

If it uses a global codec store, you could try installing the K-Lite
codec pack in an attempt to step on the codec definitions. I install
the full edition of their codec pack, but the standard edition should
suffice for just MP3.

https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<sqb1s7$vp0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56794&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56794

From: mal...@nospam.net.nz (malone)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 13:37:26 +1300
 by: malone - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:37 UTC

On 27-Dec-2021 12:20 pm, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> My friend has a paid version of TR (recently transferred from 7, where
> it worked fine, to 10, where it has the following problem).
>
> It can create MP3 files OK (has access to the Lame or whatever codec
> needed [actually loaded with something else]). But it can't _play_ MP3
> files. (It isn't her default MP3 player, but should be able to when told
> to). It says it hasn't got the appropriate codec. It's help gives three
> possible causes with solutions - drat, I should have noted them more
> carefully before shutting it down, but they were something like: I
> forget the first one exactly, but it didn't work - the only copies I
> could find of the file (name began with al3, IIRR) were in SxS; the
> second involved re-registering (?) it, using regsvr32 - that said
> something like "file found but doesn't have the entry point registerDLL"
> (whether I tried running it on either file in SxS, or copying to
> \windows\system32 and running it on there); and the third was re-extract
> it from the Windows XP source CD, which was not to hand.
>
> Total Recorder is 8.6, from 2018; according to their website, that's up
> to date and 10-compatible.
>
> The onweb help (a 2xx-page .pdf file!) is dated 2013, and gives the same
> three causes/"solutions" as the inbuilt help.
>
> Anyone using this on 10, got the same prob. when loading (File, Open) an
> .p3 file, and solved it?

Sorry - can't really help. But I've been using Total Recorder 8.6 (build
7190) Developer Edition for years (now on Windows 10 version 20H2)
without experiencing any of the problems you describe. Presumably you've
tried playing different .MP3 files -  from completely different sources?
All I can suggest is that you uninstall Total Recorder and then
reinstall it paying close attention to the options it offers you during
the installation process. You could also try removing the current
default MP3 player temporarily and see if Total Recorder springs into life

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<tPTbEOloPRyhFwbt@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56795&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56795

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:16:24 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:16 UTC

On Sun, 26 Dec 2021 at 18:34:47, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
[]
>I don't know if Total Recorder uses its own codec store, like with VLC's
>VLAN. If so, could be a corrupted codec. Odd it can save .mp3 files
>(using the coder portion of the codec), but cannot play .mp3 files
>(using the decoder portion of the same codec). If it has not way to

AIUI, it uses neither its own nor a default shared for _en_coding: it
asks you to point it to one of at least two (Lame and another). For
_de_coding (playing), the implication is that it uses something already
present.
[]
>At http://www.totalrecorder.com/downloads.htm, I did not see a download
>for a codec pack to supplant the ones included in an installation.

I don't think there are any - they expect you to tell it where one is
for encoding (it's quite old software at heart), and it uses a system
one for playback. (AIUI, which is hazily.)
[]
>The only edition mentioned there that supports playback is their
>VideoPro edition. The other editions only mention recording. Maybe
>they expect you to use a different program as the player, like VLC's
>VideoLAN (VLAN). Presuming you have a video/audio player, do the .mp3

Her standard edition played fine on 7 ...

>files playback okay in a differen MP3-capable player?

.... and yes (on 10).

>Since you paid for the program, and they even mention they support their
>free trial version (probably only until the trial expiration), you could
>contact them at:
>
> support@highcriteria.com

Have done. But since their help (embedded and online) includes advice to
restore from a Windows XP installation disc, I don't have high hopes!

>If it uses a global codec store, you could try installing the K-Lite
>codec pack in an attempt to step on the codec definitions. I install
>the full edition of their codec pack, but the standard edition should
>suffice for just MP3.
>
>https://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

My friend already has that should we need it (-

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<4fBegulhSRyhFw4a@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56796&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56796

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:19:29 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:19 UTC

On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 at 13:37:26, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote (my
[]
>Sorry - can't really help. But I've been using Total Recorder 8.6
>(build 7190) Developer Edition for years (now on Windows 10 version
>20H2) without experiencing any of the problems you describe. Presumably
>you've tried playing different .MP3 files -  from completely different

I didn't during this evening's testing, but she told me she had (that it
hadn't _played_ an mp3 since being installed on 10, though did on 7).

>sources? All I can suggest is that you uninstall Total Recorder and
>then reinstall it paying close attention to the options it offers you
>during the installation process. You could also try removing the
>current default MP3 player temporarily and see if Total Recorder
>springs into life

Aargh (-:

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<1buqdwc5bginp$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56797&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56797

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 19:50:46 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 01:50 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Have done [their e-mail contact]. But since their help (embedded and
> online) includes advice to restore from a Windows XP installation
> disc, I don't have high hopes!

I wouldn't try to restore from Windows XP an installation of the
program. My suggestion was to do a /new/ installation: uninstall the
old installation on Windows 10, do the registry and file remnant
cleanup, and do a fresh install. Since your friend bought 8.6, she has
the license/product key for it, and can reuse that in a fresh install.
I don't use the program to know how to dig into how it operates.

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<sqbaoj$9lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56801&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56801

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 22:08:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 03:08 UTC

On 12/26/2021 6:20 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> My friend has a paid version of TR (recently transferred from 7, where
> it worked fine, to 10, where it has the following problem).
>
> It can create MP3 files OK (has access to the Lame or whatever codec
> needed [actually loaded with something else]). But it can't _play_ MP3
> files. (It isn't her default MP3 player, but should be able to when told
> to). It says it hasn't got the appropriate codec. It's help gives three
> possible causes with solutions - drat, I should have noted them more
> carefully before shutting it down, but they were something like: I
> forget the first one exactly, but it didn't work - the only copies I
> could find of the file (name began with al3, IIRR) were in SxS; the
> second involved re-registering (?) it, using regsvr32 - that said
> something like "file found but doesn't have the entry point registerDLL"
> (whether I tried running it on either file in SxS, or copying to
> \windows\system32 and running it on there); and the third was re-extract
> it from the Windows XP source CD, which was not to hand.
>
> Total Recorder is 8.6, from 2018; according to their website, that's up
> to date and 10-compatible.
>
> The onweb help (a 2xx-page .pdf file!) is dated 2013, and gives the same
> three causes/"solutions" as the inbuilt help.
>
> Anyone using this on 10, got the same prob. when loading (File, Open) an
> .p3 file, and solved it?

I think I can see, how it has a 200 page user manual. In this faq, near
the bottom, it has some crazy routing options for playback.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/faq_tr.htm#50c

In here, it describes the coders.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/fr/tr_ext_mp3.htm

"Use of the MP3 format with Total Recorder is entirely optional
and at the user's discretion.

High Criteria has not written, and does not supply, an MP3 encoding
or decoding engine with Total Recorder. Instead, Total Recorder can
invoke and use the standard encoding and decoding engines that are
part of the Windows operating system package or that are bundled with
third-party software.

Total Recorder is also compatible with two popular DLLs that may be
used to create MP3 files. These two DLLs are called Lame (lame_enc.dll)
and Blade (bladeenc.dll). They are available from a number of Internet
sites as well as being part of some third-party software packages.
However, we recommend that you use Lame Dll, since Blade Dll is no
longer supported by its developers and is known to cause problems.

An MP3 encoding/decoding engine is included with all modern versions
of the Windows operating system. It will automatically appear in
Total Recorder just like any other available compression facility.

This Windows standard engine may limit the choice of bit rates. <=== deal with Fraunhofer Institute ?

The standard compression engine is found in a file named l3codeca.acm.
"

You could try GSPOT and check out the list of codecs in there.
My best guesses are marked with tiny red lines.

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/2jJK8vh5/Win10-Pro-CODECs-19044.gif

Paul

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<sqbd5v$jt8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56802&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56802

From: mal...@nospam.net.nz (malone)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:50:22 +1300
 by: malone - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 03:50 UTC

On 27-Dec-2021 4:08 pm, Paul wrote:
> [...]
>     and Blade (bladeenc.dll). They are available from a number of
> Internet
>      sites as well as being part of some third-party software packages.
>     However, we recommend that you use Lame Dll, since Blade Dll is no
>     longer supported by its developers and is known to cause problems.
>
>     An MP3 encoding/decoding engine is included with all modern versions
>     of the Windows operating system. It will automatically appear in
>     Total Recorder just like any other available compression facility.
>
>     This Windows standard engine may limit the choice of bit rates.
> <=== deal with Fraunhofer Institute ?
>
>     The standard compression engine is found in a file named
> l3codeca.acm.
>    "
>
> You could try GSPOT and check out the list of codecs in there.
> My best guesses are marked with tiny red lines.

All I can say is that I've been using Total Recorder to play and record
..mp3 files for over fifteen years with multiple different computers with
the full range of available Windows operating systems. I've never had to
worry about any of the issues raised by Paul. It's just worked for me.

From what I've read in this thread I suspect it must be a conflict with
the "default MP3 player". What is it exactly?

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<sqbsir$j2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56805&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56805

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 03:12:17 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 08:12 UTC

On 12/26/2021 10:50 PM, malone wrote:

> All I can say is that I've been using Total Recorder to play and record .mp3 files
> for over fifteen years with multiple different computers with the full range of
> available Windows operating systems. I've never had to worry about any of the issues
> raised by Paul. It's just worked for me.
>
> From what I've read in this thread I suspect it must be a conflict with the
> "default MP3 player". What is it exactly?

I don't know exactly when Microsoft was playing MP3s for itself.
Due to the patent issues. The patents were only completely
expired around 2017 or so, and licensing fees were involved
before that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/technology/05music.html

That's one reason that FOSS software made you go to some
site and download the LAME codec, and the server would be
located in a country where those patents could not be enforced.
So if you wanted Audacity to deal with an MP3, you had to add
LAME to it yourself.

The default player in Windows, is Windows Media Player (WMP).

You should be able to operate multiple players at the
same time, without a conflict existing between them.
If you bind the filetype, to one of the players, then
double-clicking the .mp3 file will cause that player to
open and play the tune. But if you open two players, and
select a file via a File Explorer dialog, they can both
be playing stuff, and the Windows Audio Mixer handles the
output from both.

*******

It's also possible to create "CODEC Hell" on a machine,
If you install BadCodecPack and then later GoodCodecPack,
If a CODEC in the BadCOdecPack has a bias of 9999, this
could prevent the CODEC in GoodCodecPack from being used.
Since (other than LAME for Audacity) I don't use CODEC
packs, I have no experience with this CODEC Hell stuff.
Applications like FFMPEG or VLC, allow playing a lot of
content without system-side CODEC packs.

Paul

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<j2u7nlFqsfbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56809&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56809

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:25:24 +0000
 by: Roger Mills - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:25 UTC

On 26/12/2021 23:20, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> My friend has a paid version of TR (recently transferred from 7, where
> it worked fine, to 10, where it has the following problem).
>
> It can create MP3 files OK (has access to the Lame or whatever codec
> needed [actually loaded with something else]). But it can't _play_ MP3
> files. (It isn't her default MP3 player, but should be able to when told
> to). It says it hasn't got the appropriate codec. It's help gives three
> possible causes with solutions - drat, I should have noted them more
> carefully before shutting it down, but they were something like: I
> forget the first one exactly, but it didn't work - the only copies I
> could find of the file (name began with al3, IIRR) were in SxS; the
> second involved re-registering (?) it, using regsvr32 - that said
> something like "file found but doesn't have the entry point registerDLL"
> (whether I tried running it on either file in SxS, or copying to
> \windows\system32 and running it on there); and the third was re-extract
> it from the Windows XP source CD, which was not to hand.
>
> Total Recorder is 8.6, from 2018; according to their website, that's up
> to date and 10-compatible.
>
> The onweb help (a 2xx-page .pdf file!) is dated 2013, and gives the same
> three causes/"solutions" as the inbuilt help.
>
> Anyone using this on 10, got the same prob. when loading (File, Open) an
> .p3 file, and solved it?

Silly Question: Have you tried running it in compatibility mode, to
pretend that you're using an earlier version (7 or XP) of Windows?

It may not help, but it costs nothing to try!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<deeHQtLfX7yhFw8M@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56851&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56851

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:11:59 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:11 UTC

On Sun, 26 Dec 2021 at 19:50:46, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> Have done [their e-mail contact]. But since their help (embedded and
>> online) includes advice to restore from a Windows XP installation
>> disc, I don't have high hopes!
>
>I wouldn't try to restore from Windows XP an installation of the
>program. My suggestion was to do a /new/ installation: uninstall the
>old installation on Windows 10, do the registry and file remnant
>cleanup, and do a fresh install. Since your friend bought 8.6, she has
>the license/product key for it, and can reuse that in a fresh install.
>I don't use the program to know how to dig into how it operates.

Forwarded (-:

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<LP7SEUNKv7yhFw+9@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56855&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56855

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:37:14 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:37 UTC

On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 at 16:50:22, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote (my
>On 27-Dec-2021 4:08 pm, Paul wrote:
>> On 12/26/2021 6:20 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> My friend has a paid version of TR (recently transferred from 7, where
>>> it worked fine, to 10, where it has the following problem).
>>>
>>> It can create MP3 files OK (has access to the Lame or whatever codec
>>> needed [actually loaded with something else]). But it can't _play_ MP3
[]
>>> Total Recorder is 8.6, from 2018; according to their website, that's up
>>> to date and 10-compatible.
[]
>> I think I can see, how it has a 200 page user manual. In this faq, near
>> the bottom, it has some crazy routing options for playback.
>>
>> http://www.totalrecorder.com/faq_tr.htm#50c
>>
>> In here, it describes the coders.
>>
>> http://www.totalrecorder.com/fr/tr_ext_mp3.htm
>>
>>    "Use of the MP3 format with Total Recorder is entirely optional
>>     and at the user's discretion.
>>
>>     High Criteria has not written, and does not supply, an MP3 encoding
>>     or decoding engine with Total Recorder. Instead, Total Recorder can
>>     invoke and use the standard encoding and decoding engines that are
>>     part of the Windows operating system package or that are bundled with
>>     third-party software.
>>
>>     Total Recorder is also compatible with two popular DLLs that may be
>>     used to create MP3 files. These two DLLs are called Lame
>>(lame_enc.dll)
>>     and Blade (bladeenc.dll). They are available from a number of
>>Internet
>>      sites as well as being part of some third-party software packages.
>>     However, we recommend that you use Lame Dll, since Blade Dll is no
>>     longer supported by its developers and is known to cause problems.

We have told it where to find the LAME stuff (IIRR, among some other
software's stuff - might have been mp3DirectCut). And TR can _make_ MP3s
fine.

>>     An MP3 encoding/decoding engine is included with all modern versions
>>     of the Windows operating system. It will automatically appear in
>>     Total Recorder just like any other available compression facility.

(Well, it's the _de_compression side that's having difficulty.)

>>     This Windows standard engine may limit the choice of bit rates.
>><=== deal with Fraunhofer Institute ?

Seems likely (-:

>>     The standard compression engine is found in a file named
>>l3codeca.acm.
>>    "

That's the one: initially it said it couldn't find it. When I used
"Everything", the only copies I found were in SxS - IIRR, one about 60K,
one about 90K, with timestamps about 90 minutes apart. When I tried
copying either to system32, TR said it could find it, but it didn't have
such-and-such an entry point.

>> You could try GSPOT and check out the list of codecs in there.
>> My best guesses are marked with tiny red lines.
>>
>>    [Picture]
>>
>>    https://i.postimg.cc/2jJK8vh5/Win10-Pro-CODECs-19044.gif
>>
>>   Paul
>>

>All I can say is that I've been using Total Recorder to play and record
>.mp3 files for over fifteen years with multiple different computers
>with the full range of available Windows operating systems. I've never
>had to worry about any of the issues raised by Paul. It's just worked
>for me.

In earlier years, you presumably definitely had to give it a LAME (or
blade) encoder.

>From what I've read in this thread I suspect it must be a conflict with
>the "default MP3 player". What is it exactly?

What Julia's machine is set up to play mp3 files with is a Winamp (early
version).

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<nf8ZwJOX07yhFwav@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56856&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56856

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:42:47 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:42 UTC

On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 at 03:12:17, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
[]
>The default player in Windows, is Windows Media Player (WMP).

I thought that had been removed in W10?
[]
>It's also possible to create "CODEC Hell" on a machine,
>If you install BadCodecPack and then later GoodCodecPack,
>If a CODEC in the BadCOdecPack has a bias of 9999, this
>could prevent the CODEC in GoodCodecPack from being used.
>Since (other than LAME for Audacity) I don't use CODEC
>packs, I have no experience with this CODEC Hell stuff.
>Applications like FFMPEG or VLC, allow playing a lot of
>content without system-side CODEC packs.
>
> Paul
I noticed my friend has the K-Lite CoDec pack installer; whether that's
been installed on this machine, or is just an old download that's been
kept (and transferred to the new 10 machine), I don't know.

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<sqgffq$va5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56859&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56859

From: mal...@nospam.net.nz (malone)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:00:26 +1300
 by: malone - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 02:00 UTC

On 29-Dec-2021 2:37 pm, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> [...]
> "Everything", the only copies I found were in SxS - IIRR, one about
> 60K, one about 90K, with timestamps about 90 minutes apart. When I
> tried copying either to system32, TR said it could find it, but it
> didn't have such-and-such an entry point.
>>>
>>> You could try GSPOT and check out the list of codecs in there.
>>> My best guesses are marked with tiny red lines.
>>>
>>>    [Picture]
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/2jJK8vh5/Win10-Pro-CODECs-19044.gif
>>>
>>>   Paul
>>>

>> All I can say is that I've been using Total Recorder to play and
>> record .mp3 files for over fifteen years with multiple different
>> computers with the full range of available Windows operating systems.
>> I've never had to worry about any of the issues raised by Paul. It's
>> just worked for me.
>
> In earlier years, you presumably definitely had to give it a LAME (or
Yes, I think that's right. Before I settled on Total Recorder many years
ago I tried several other players, and I vaguely remember needing to
download LAME for one of those. So perhaps it was already on my computer
when I first used Total Recorder.

>> From what I've read in this thread I suspect it must be a conflict
>> with the "default MP3 player". What is it exactly?
>
> What Julia's machine is set up to play mp3 files with is a Winamp
> (early version).
I'm still rather suspicious that there may be a conflict between the
most recent version of Total Recorder and an old version of WinAmp. I'd
uninstall both and then just install Total Recorder. But I accept that
might be a rather dramatic thing to do with someone else's computer....

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<tSTLDSVtIQzhFwiD@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56882&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56882

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 00:49:49 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 00:49 UTC

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 15:00:26, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote (my
>On 29-Dec-2021 2:37 pm, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 at 16:50:22, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote
>>(my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>>> From what I've read in this thread I suspect it must be a conflict
>>>with the "default MP3 player". What is it exactly?
>>
>> What Julia's machine is set up to play mp3 files with is a Winamp
>>(early version).
>I'm still rather suspicious that there may be a conflict between the
>most recent version of Total Recorder and an old version of WinAmp. I'd
>uninstall both and then just install Total Recorder. But I accept that
>might be a rather dramatic thing to do with someone else's computer....

Discussing the responses here, she asked me to clarify what default
player meant, and I explained that it meant what an MP3 file opens in if
you just activate it from Explorer. She asked me to change that anyway
(to mp3directcut if anyone's interested), which I did. I don't think it
made any difference to the TR "feature" though.

(I appreciate your thoughts, but I actually don't think the default
player would cause the symptom, or at least it'd not appear in the
manner it is; the default player isn't actually running when I see it.)

If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!

Re: Total Recorder can't play MP3 files?

<6ybctqppwddr.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=56886&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#56886

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 19:13:57 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 01:13 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 15:00:26, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote (my
>>On 29-Dec-2021 2:37 pm, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 at 16:50:22, malone <malone@nospam.net.nz> wrote
>>>(my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>>>
>>> What Julia's machine is set up to play mp3 files with is a Winamp
>>>(early version).
>>I'm still rather suspicious that there may be a conflict between the
>>most recent version of Total Recorder and an old version of WinAmp. I'd
>>uninstall both and then just install Total Recorder. But I accept that
>>might be a rather dramatic thing to do with someone else's computer....
>
> Discussing the responses here, she asked me to clarify what default
> player meant, and I explained that it meant what an MP3 file opens in if
> you just activate it from Explorer. She asked me to change that anyway
> (to mp3directcut if anyone's interested), which I did. I don't think it
> made any difference to the TR "feature" though.
>
> (I appreciate your thoughts, but I actually don't think the default
> player would cause the symptom, or at least it'd not appear in the
> manner it is; the default player isn't actually running when I see it.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3
"The basic MP3 decoding and encoding technology is patent-free in the
European Union, all patents having expired there by 2012 at the latest.
In the United States, the technology became substantially patent-free on
16 April 2017"

The licensing for MP3 expired, or was unenforceable at the onset. No
need to get permission to use it, anymore, for many years. Shows how
ancient is Total Recorder's MP3 support.

Obviously development to stay current was abandoned on this product long
ago, but they still want to collect revenue on a dead product. Last
they expended any effort on the program was back in 2015, but MP3
patents already expired several years earlier (in the USA, and never
were any elsewhere). When I saw your mention of the LAME codec, my
reaction is Total Recorder is lame.