From: a...@inwind.it (a)
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Subject: Re: How to set ICC profile?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 14:50:04 +0200
 by: a - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 12:50 UTC

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:18:29 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 22:10:00 +0200, a wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:01:36 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach <ank@spamfence.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Is it possible to just remove the black cartridge that the printer would
>>>not cease working?
>>
>> Mmmhh... I don't know,
>> but even if it will work,
>> it will not be the solution I like,
>> because black cartridge is less expensive
>> than color cartridge.
>>
>> So I prefer buy and use the black cartrige, and,
>> instead of printing "black" color,
>> I 'd like to print "dark grey"...
>
>[...]
>
>Not using Windows but Linux, the print system relies on the CUPS print
>server. There I can tell the printer to use monochrome. Won't test it
>(almost out of ink as well as of paper), thus cannot tell if it would use
>the b/w cartridge or compose the printout using the color cartridges to
>produce gray scale.
>
>So it might depend on what the driver decides which cartridges to use if
>monochrome is selected.
>
>Check your driver options and set it to monochrome. If it still uses the
>b/w cartridge, you're out of luck. Unless the printer doesn't refuse to
>print if you physically remove the black cartridge.

I noted this:

when the black ink has finished (empty),
the printer uses the three color inks to "imitate" the black color

the printer itself warns and asks:
"The black ink is over, do you want to use the color inks
to keep on printing?"
I say 'yes' and the printer keeps on printing,
with good result (I have a paper with a dark grey or a dark brown
instead of black, but it is acceptable)