There are some things worth dying for. -- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7

computers / comp.sys.mac.apps / Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

SubjectAuthor
* Weird Acrobat problem on two MacsConnor Shannon
`* Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two MacsYour Name
 `* Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two MacsConnor Shannon
  `* Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two MacsYour Name
   `* Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two MacsConnor Shannon
    `* Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two MacsYour Name
     `- Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two MacsConnor Shannon

1
Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

<2597305d-574d-47a1-8cd5-555a36eac448n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=571&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#571

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 23:05:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:05 UTC

I've had the strangest problem with images in Acrobat for a few months. It's happening on my MacBook and my iMac and with Acrobat Pro and Acrobat DC. When I try to move an image, it's like the image is part of wallpaper and I'm moving a window over a section of the wallpaper so instead of the image moving I see a different section of the wallpaper. Like if the image is a dog and I try to move it down, the head of the dog disappears then a new head appears below the feet, then if I keep dragging it down (or I use arrow keys) a new whole dog appears below where the first one was. But that means I can't move it half a dog down. Same thing left to right.

I used to be able to move an image anywhere I wanted on the page but now I can only move a whole image high or wide at a time. So like if the dog is three inches high I have to move the image three inches down to get a whole dog again.

Oh but this doesn't happen with every image and I don't know why some and not others.

I hope you can understand what I mean it's really weird!

Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

<skj5q0$fpg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=572&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#572

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Subject: Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:56:01 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:56 UTC

On 2021-10-18 06:05:35 +0000, Connor Shannon said:

> I've had the strangest problem with images in Acrobat for a few months.
> It's happening on my MacBook and my iMac and with Acrobat Pro and
> Acrobat DC. When I try to move an image, it's like the image is part of
> wallpaper and I'm moving a window over a section of the wallpaper so
> instead of the image moving I see a different section of the wallpaper.
> Like if the image is a dog and I try to move it down, the head of the
> dog disappears then a new head appears below the feet, then if I keep
> dragging it down (or I use arrow keys) a new whole dog appears below
> where the first one was. But that means I can't move it half a dog
> down. Same thing left to right.
> I used to be able to move an image anywhere I wanted on the page but
> now I can only move a whole image high or wide at a time. So like if
> the dog is three inches high I have to move the image three inches down
> to get a whole dog again.
>
> Oh but this doesn't happen with every image and I don't know why some
> and not others.
> I hope you can understand what I mean it's really weird!

It's not Acrobat (for a change), but simply a badly made PDF. You're
not moving the image itself, but are really moving an "invisible"
object that is layered above the image and is acting like a cropping
shape. When you see that happening, try pressing the delete key to
remove that object, then the full image will probably be visible,
assuming there aren't any more objects layered above it.

As an aside, Acrobat is not a great way to edit documents - it's
kludgey and buggy. It's always best to edit the document in the
original format, if possible, and then remake the PDF.

Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

<b32c4be1-6ca3-4ccb-89c5-a3d1d33fa6b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=573&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#573

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 09:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:43 UTC

On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 11:56:03 PM UTC-7, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-10-18 06:05:35 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
> >
> > I've had the strangest problem with images in Acrobat for a few months.
> > It's happening on my MacBook and my iMac and with Acrobat Pro and
> > Acrobat DC. When I try to move an image, it's like the image is part of
> > wallpaper and I'm moving a window over a section of the wallpaper so
> > instead of the image moving I see a different section of the wallpaper.
> > Like if the image is a dog and I try to move it down, the head of the
> > dog disappears then a new head appears below the feet, then if I keep
> > dragging it down (or I use arrow keys) a new whole dog appears below
> > where the first one was. But that means I can't move it half a dog
> > down. Same thing left to right.
> > I used to be able to move an image anywhere I wanted on the page but
> > now I can only move a whole image high or wide at a time. So like if
> > the dog is three inches high I have to move the image three inches down
> > to get a whole dog again.
> >
> > Oh but this doesn't happen with every image and I don't know why some
> > and not others.
> > I hope you can understand what I mean it's really weird!
> It's not Acrobat (for a change), but simply a badly made PDF. You're
> not moving the image itself, but are really moving an "invisible"
> object that is layered above the image and is acting like a cropping
> shape. When you see that happening, try pressing the delete key to
> remove that object, then the full image will probably be visible,
> assuming there aren't any more objects layered above it.

I've seen that happen but then the image I'm moving starts disappering under the invisible thing. This is different. Part of the image reappears above or below to next to the original place.

> As an aside, Acrobat is not a great way to edit documents - it's
> kludgey and buggy. It's always best to edit the document in the
> original format, if possible, and then remake the PDF.

This is the original document its PDFs from web pages that MacOS made. And it worked for years. I don't know what changed or why some images still move okay.

Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

<skkng0$1qaq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=574&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#574

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 10:04:00 +1300
 by: Your Name - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 21:04 UTC

On 2021-10-18 16:43:35 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
> On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 11:56:03 PM UTC-7, Your Name wrote:
>> On 2021-10-18 06:05:35 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
>>>
>>> I've had the strangest problem with images in Acrobat for a few months.
>>> It's happening on my MacBook and my iMac and with Acrobat Pro and
>>> Acrobat DC. When I try to move an image, it's like the image is part of
>>> wallpaper and I'm moving a window over a section of the wallpaper so
>>> instead of the image moving I see a different section of the wallpaper.
>>> Like if the image is a dog and I try to move it down, the head of the
>>> dog disappears then a new head appears below the feet, then if I keep
>>> dragging it down (or I use arrow keys) a new whole dog appears below
>>> where the first one was. But that means I can't move it half a dog
>>> down. Same thing left to right.
>>> I used to be able to move an image anywhere I wanted on the page but
>>> now I can only move a whole image high or wide at a time. So like if
>>> the dog is three inches high I have to move the image three inches down
>>> to get a whole dog again.
>>>
>>> Oh but this doesn't happen with every image and I don't know why some
>>> and not others.
>>> I hope you can understand what I mean it's really weird!
>>
>> It's not Acrobat (for a change), but simply a badly made PDF. You're
>> not moving the image itself, but are really moving an "invisible"
>> object that is layered above the image and is acting like a cropping
>> shape. When you see that happening, try pressing the delete key to
>> remove that object, then the full image will probably be visible,
>> assuming there aren't any more objects layered above it.
>
> I've seen that happen but then the image I'm moving starts disappearing
> under the invisible thing. This is different. Part of the image
> reappears above or below to next to the original place.

It's the same problem. Whether you're moving the invisible cropping
shape or the actual image, once the edges of the image are outside the
cropping shape they may reappear, sometimes leaving a blank band in
between two sections of the image. Occassionally you can get around it
by using the Cut command on the image (if you can select it), and then
pasting it back again to put it on a new layer.

It can be near impossible to find and delete that the invisible
cropping shape. Depending on the complexity of the page, using Select
All can help you see the edges of the objects and spot one that is
invisible ... but selecting it alone to delete it can again be almost
imposible.

Sometimes the only way is to make a duplicate of the file, delete
*everything* from one file and copy-paste all the bits you do want from
the duplicate file.

>> As an aside, Acrobat is not a great way to edit documents - it's
>> kludgey and buggy. It's always best to edit the document in the
>> original format, if possible, and then remake the PDF.
>
> This is the original document its PDFs from web pages that MacOS made.
> And it worked for years. I don't know what changed or why some images
> still move okay.

Different websites and browsers will create the PDF differently. My
guess would be lazy website designers / bad design apps that use HTML
or Stylesheet commands to crop an image, rather than actually making
the image the correct size *before* putting into the web page.

Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

<00e2bf57-0d35-4443-b844-cff1ed0fb191n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=575&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#575

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 19:21:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 02:21 UTC

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 2:04:05 PM UTC-7, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-10-18 16:43:35 +0000, Connor Shannon said:

> >> It's not Acrobat (for a change), but simply a badly made PDF. You're
> >> not moving the image itself, but are really moving an "invisible"
> >> object that is layered above the image and is acting like a cropping
> >> shape. When you see that happening, try pressing the delete key to
> >> remove that object, then the full image will probably be visible,
> >> assuming there aren't any more objects layered above it.
> >
> > I've seen that happen but then the image I'm moving starts disappearing
> > under the invisible thing. This is different. Part of the image
> > reappears above or below to next to the original place.
> It's the same problem. Whether you're moving the invisible cropping
> shape or the actual image, once the edges of the image are outside the
> cropping shape they may reappear, sometimes leaving a blank band in
> between two sections of the image. Occassionally you can get around it
> by using the Cut command on the image (if you can select it), and then
> pasting it back again to put it on a new layer.
>
> It can be near impossible to find and delete that the invisible
> cropping shape. Depending on the complexity of the page, using Select
> All can help you see the edges of the objects and spot one that is
> invisible ... but selecting it alone to delete it can again be almost
> imposible.
>
> Sometimes the only way is to make a duplicate of the file, delete
> *everything* from one file and copy-paste all the bits you do want from
> the duplicate file.
> >> As an aside, Acrobat is not a great way to edit documents - it's
> >> kludgey and buggy. It's always best to edit the document in the
> >> original format, if possible, and then remake the PDF.
> >
> > This is the original document its PDFs from web pages that MacOS made.
> > And it worked for years. I don't know what changed or why some images
> > still move okay.
> Different websites and browsers will create the PDF differently. My
> guess would be lazy website designers / bad design apps that use HTML
> or Stylesheet commands to crop an image, rather than actually making
> the image the correct size *before* putting into the web page.

Hmmm, okay, maybe I'll try putting everything in a new PDF.

I just tried something I made the image bigger and instead of getting bigger it made more copies of the image that looked just like wallpaper, like this:

dog dog dog dog dog
dog dog dog dog dog
dog dog dog dog dog

Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

<skn9c6$lmp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=577&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#577

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 09:21:26 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 20:21 UTC

On 2021-10-19 02:21:20 +0000, Connor Shannon said:
> On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 2:04:05 PM UTC-7, Your Name wrote:

>>> I've seen that happen but then the image I'm moving starts disappearing
>>> under the invisible thing. This is different. Part of the image
>>> reappears above or below to next to the original place.
>> It's the same problem. Whether you're moving the invisible cropping
>> shape or the actual image, once the edges of the image are outside the
>> cropping shape they may reappear, sometimes leaving a blank band in
>> between two sections of the image. Occassionally you can get around it
>> by using the Cut command on the image (if you can select it), and then
>> pasting it back again to put it on a new layer.
>>
>> It can be near impossible to find and delete that the invisible
>> cropping shape. Depending on the complexity of the page, using Select
>> All can help you see the edges of the objects and spot one that is
>> invisible ... but selecting it alone to delete it can again be almost
>> imposible.
>>
>> Sometimes the only way is to make a duplicate of the file, delete
>> *everything* from one file and copy-paste all the bits you do want from
>> the duplicate file.
>>>
>>> This is the original document its PDFs from web pages that MacOS made.
>>> And it worked for years. I don't know what changed or why some images
>>> still move okay.
>> Different websites and browsers will create the PDF differently. My
>> guess would be lazy website designers / bad design apps that use HTML
>> or Stylesheet commands to crop an image, rather than actually making
>> the image the correct size *before* putting into the web page.
>
> Hmmm, okay, maybe I'll try putting everything in a new PDF.
>
> I just tried something I made the image bigger and instead of getting
> bigger it made more copies of the image that looked just like
> wallpaper, like this:
>
> dog dog dog dog dog
> dog dog dog dog dog
> dog dog dog dog dog

I vaguely remember seeing that a couple of times. I think the only way
I solved it was to delete the image and replace it with a new version
using the insert command.

Re: Weird Acrobat problem on two Macs

<75b7362f-0817-4873-8b2f-19fc3e49619cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=578&group=comp.sys.mac.apps#578

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 14:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: cshannon...@gmail.com (Connor Shannon)
 by: Connor Shannon - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 21:05 UTC

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 1:21:35 PM UTC-7, Your Name wrote:
> On 2021-10-19 02:21:20 +0000, Connor Shannon said:

> >> It's the same problem. Whether you're moving the invisible cropping
> >> shape or the actual image, once the edges of the image are outside the
> >> cropping shape they may reappear, sometimes leaving a blank band in
> >> between two sections of the image. Occassionally you can get around it
> >> by using the Cut command on the image (if you can select it), and then
> >> pasting it back again to put it on a new layer.
> >>
> >> It can be near impossible to find and delete that the invisible
> >> cropping shape. Depending on the complexity of the page, using Select
> >> All can help you see the edges of the objects and spot one that is
> >> invisible ... but selecting it alone to delete it can again be almost
> >> imposible.
> >>
> >> Sometimes the only way is to make a duplicate of the file, delete
> >> *everything* from one file and copy-paste all the bits you do want from
> >> the duplicate file.

> >> Different websites and browsers will create the PDF differently. My
> >> guess would be lazy website designers / bad design apps that use HTML
> >> or Stylesheet commands to crop an image, rather than actually making
> >> the image the correct size *before* putting into the web page.
> >
> > Hmmm, okay, maybe I'll try putting everything in a new PDF.
> >
> > I just tried something I made the image bigger and instead of getting
> > bigger it made more copies of the image that looked just like
> > wallpaper, like this:
> >
> > dog dog dog dog dog
> > dog dog dog dog dog
> > dog dog dog dog dog
> I vaguely remember seeing that a couple of times. I think the only way
> I solved it was to delete the image and replace it with a new version
> using the insert command.

Thanks next time I'll try to download the picture from the website by itself and put it in the PDF instead of the one that's there. Like I said its weird that sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.