Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. -- Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

SubjectAuthor
* Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Ant
+* Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Geeknix
|`- Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Ant
`* Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Mike S.
 `* Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Spalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Mike S.
   +- Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Mike S.
   `- Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!Spalls Hurgenson

1
Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<vPednan_nPStx078nZ2dnUU7-cnNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5712&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5712

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Subject: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:18:56 -0600
 by: Ant - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:18 UTC

We're still getting freebies? ;)

https://www.gog.com/game/iratus_lord_of_the_dead (41.75 hours left as I
type this).
--
:) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2, but it's seems da same so far. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<slrnst7huo.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5722&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5722

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
From: use...@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Subject: Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 04:06:48 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 04:06 UTC

On 2022-01-03, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> We're still getting freebies? ;)
> https://www.gog.com/game/iratus_lord_of_the_dead
More freebies.... the festive season doesn't end!

Grabbed it, not sure I'll play it.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<qeOdndHm4IbKeE78nZ2dnUU7-XGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5723&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5723

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 00:12:39 -0600
 by: Ant - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 06:12 UTC

Geeknix <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
> On 2022-01-03, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> > We're still getting freebies? ;)
> > https://www.gog.com/game/iratus_lord_of_the_dead
> More freebies.... the festive season doesn't end!

> Grabbed it, not sure I'll play it.

Me too. Not sure if I will like it if I try it!
--
:) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2, but it's seems da same so far. :(
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<hdl8tglfnp5d34erl0dmvsgccv7cksauqs@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5731&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5731

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 09:12:33 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 14:12 UTC

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:18:56 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>We're still getting freebies? ;)
>
>https://www.gog.com/game/iratus_lord_of_the_dead (41.75 hours left as I
>type this).

Thanks. Looks interesting to me. Screenshots makes me think of Darkest
Dungeon.

Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<e1v8tg5oljg0bunai9d9793vbg1l45qdo2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5733&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5733

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 12:04:15 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 17:04 UTC

On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 09:12:33 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 14:18:56 -0600, ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

>>We're still getting freebies? ;)
>>https://www.gog.com/game/iratus_lord_of_the_dead (41.75 hours left as I
>>type this).

Shh, not so loud. Maybe GOG doesn't know the holidays are over (or
maybe they follow the more traditional concept that the 12 Days of
Christmas end on January 5th, in which case we should be due more
goodies! ;-)

>Thanks. Looks interesting to me. Screenshots makes me think of Darkest
>Dungeon.

Reviews indicate it plays a lot like that too, except from the other
side (since you're the baddies), and that it's more limited in scope.

Honestly, the low-budget production values are putting me off more
than anything. Yes, I know; 'gameplay over graphics', and
'resource-limited Indie studio', but I like a bit more visual flair in
my games. Even if the gameplay looked like something I might be
interested in (and it barely does), the paper-cutout style just isn't
enough for me.

Bets on whether or not I added it to my library, though? C'mon, is
nobody willing to put money down on the chance I didn't?

Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<pv9btgd0shatmpchu11rvvsesvapdaq2bt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5739&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5739

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 09:18:15 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 14:18 UTC

On Tue, 04 Jan 2022 12:04:15 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Honestly, the low-budget production values are putting me off more
>than anything. Yes, I know; 'gameplay over graphics', and
>'resource-limited Indie studio', but I like a bit more visual flair in
>my games. Even if the gameplay looked like something I might be
>interested in (and it barely does), the paper-cutout style just isn't
>enough for me.

I can understand this. While this game's graphic style does appeal to
me, another game, an RPG called Under tale I will never play as I
can't stand those very simplistic graphics.

Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<s5abtgl84cc9vt42fssrfu72sv1i8v33gi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5740&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5740

From: Mik...@nowhere.com (Mike S.)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 09:19:15 -0500
 by: Mike S. - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 14:19 UTC

On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 09:18:15 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I can understand this. While this game's graphic style does appeal to
>me, another game, an RPG called Under tale I will never play as I
>can't stand those very simplistic graphics.

That should be *Undertale - one word.

Re: Free Iratus: Lord of the Dead!

<o0sbtgl730cqh9uu3te6rqna6438tpcefh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5744&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5744

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 14:43:52 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 19:43 UTC

wrote:

>I can understand this. While this game's graphic style does appeal to
>me, another game, an RPG called Under tale I will never play as I
>can't stand those very simplistic graphics.

I get where you are coming from. I've made no attempts to hide my
disdain for games that use 'retro' graphics, especially those who
regard it as some sort of selling point. I can appreciate good pixel
art, and there are still a lot of 'old school' games from the DOS era
whose visuals I love because they manage to eke such beautiful images
out of such limited resources.

But I love these games /despite/ those limitations, not because of
them. I've been playing video games for decades upon decades, and if
there is one constant in all that time, it's that I've always wanted
the games to look better.* While I would play games with sub-par
graphics, this was always a sacrifice (one hopefully made up by the
game's other aspects), and not a goal unto itself. I've played enough
4- (or 8- or 16- or even 256-) color games back in the day that I've
no need to endure anymore out of some ill-considered desire to chase
the nostalgic dreams of my younger days.

Worse, good looking pixel art requires a great deal of skill, and - as
Sturgeon's law reminds us - 90% of everything is crap. The vast bulk
of games - retro or otherwise - are going to be sub par in their
artistry. At least if a game uses modern 'high end' visuals, they'll
be able to hide that lack of skill behind high-definition textures and
lighting, just because the engine does so much of the work for them in
automatically making things look good. There's no protective veil for
most retro games.

I probably could stomach "Undertale"; I can endure old-school graphics
if I have to. My too-large-to-admit collection of DOSBox games attests
to that. Its gameplay and its ultimately preachy message (not to
mention that its surprise ending was long ago spoiled to me) are
mainly what keep me from engaging with the game, not its visuals. But
its retro graphical style does it no favors either; if I'm going to
suffer through a game that isn't interesting to me, I'd at least like
to have something pretty to look at.

* A second constant might be that I've frequently assumed that games
would NEVER look better than they do at the moment. I remember
doubting we'd ever see visuals more realistic than in games like
"Doom". And how could we ever possibly top the realism of "Flight
Unlimited 2", where it portrayed hundreds of square miles of realistic
terrain, and every building over ten stories tall got its own 3D
model? ;-)