Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence. -- Dijkstra

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

SubjectAuthor
* Windows Defender v. MalwarebytesStan Brown
+- Re: Windows Defender v. MalwarebytesKen Blake
+- Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes...w¡ñ§±¤n
+* Re: Windows Defender v. MalwarebytesFrank Slootweg
|`- Re: Windows Defender v. MalwarebytesAnt
+* Re: Windows Defender v. MalwarebytesPaul
|`- Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes...w¡ñ§±¤n
+- Re: Windows Defender v. MalwarebytesDee
`- Re: Windows Defender v. MalwarebytesStan Brown

1
Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<MPG.3c44f3a75eb9ad4b98fe71@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57510&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57510

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:29:50 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:29 UTC

As you all know, Windows Defender comes as part of with Windows 10.

I have a multiple-PC license for Malwarebytes, but have not yet
installed it on my new Win 10 PC. I've seen various articles saying
that Windows Virus and Threat Protection is actually pretty decent
malware protection. Should I ...

(a) Install Malwarebytes for both real-time and on-demand protection,
superseding Windows Virus and Threat Protection ?

(b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
protection?

(c) Forget about Malwarebytes on this PC and just rely on Windows
Virus and Threat Protection ?

The only negative thing I have to say about Malwarebytes is that when
I resume Windows _7_ after hibernation, Malwarebytes locks up my PC
for several minutes while doing a disc scan, despite the fact that I
have it configured to scan automatically at 9 AM and if it misses
that time to wait till 9 AM the next day.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<rulmtgt4r747h5jl4lijbilhrl9alsseia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57514&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57514

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 14:48:24 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 21:48 UTC

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:29:50 -0800, Stan Brown
<the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>As you all know, Windows Defender comes as part of with Windows 10.
>
>I have a multiple-PC license for Malwarebytes, but have not yet
>installed it on my new Win 10 PC. I've seen various articles saying
>that Windows Virus and Threat Protection is actually pretty decent
>malware protection. Should I ...
>
>(a) Install Malwarebytes for both real-time and on-demand protection,
>superseding Windows Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
>(b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
>Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
>protection?
>
>(c) Forget about Malwarebytes on this PC and just rely on Windows
>Virus and Threat Protection ?

Not everyone has the same opinions, but here's what I do: b

>The only negative thing I have to say about Malwarebytes is that when
>I resume Windows _7_ after hibernation, Malwarebytes locks up my PC
>for several minutes while doing a disc scan, despite the fact that I
>have it configured to scan automatically at 9 AM and if it misses
>that time to wait till 9 AM the next day.

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<sri1n3$dek$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57542&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57542

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:33:54 -0500
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 19:33 UTC

Stan Brown wrote:
> As you all know, Windows Defender comes as part of with Windows 10.
>
> I have a multiple-PC license for Malwarebytes, but have not yet
> installed it on my new Win 10 PC. I've seen various articles saying
> that Windows Virus and Threat Protection is actually pretty decent
> malware protection. Should I ...
>
> (a) Install Malwarebytes for both real-time and on-demand protection,
> superseding Windows Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> (b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
> Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
> protection?
>
> (c) Forget about Malwarebytes on this PC and just rely on Windows
> Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> The only negative thing I have to say about Malwarebytes is that when
> I resume Windows _7_ after hibernation, Malwarebytes locks up my PC
> for several minutes while doing a disc scan, despite the fact that I
> have it configured to scan automatically at 9 AM and if it misses
> that time to wait till 9 AM the next day.

(b)

Also, my choice(since 2015, Win10 Release) on Win10 Pro(3 devices)

Note: At one time I ran MBAM once/week, never found anything.
I routinely dump Browser caches via Browser settings and Browser exit(and
always prior to creating an image)

Now, run MBAM once a month prior to imaging the GPT
System/MSR/Windows/Recovery partitions. Images are done with Acronis
2020(last perpetual, no subscription version released, and Macrium Reflect
Home.
- MBAM still finds nothing...even so, it's like an old friend stopping
by every now and then for latest info(def updates) and a short walk and
conversation(scan and results).

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<sri7nn.vnk.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57551&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57551

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 10 Jan 2022 20:16:47 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:16 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
[...]

> (b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
> Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
> protection?

Option (b) for me as well.

I use Avast Free Antivirus, not (Microsoft) Windows Defender, but that
does not make any real difference.

Like for Winston, for me Malwarebytes never found anything either. I
installed it when we had a malware suspicion - which turned out false -
and left it installed, but never needed it afterwards.

[...]

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<srim7t$e1s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57573&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57573

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:23:23 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 01:23 UTC

On 1/9/2022 4:29 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
> As you all know, Windows Defender comes as part of with Windows 10.
>
> I have a multiple-PC license for Malwarebytes, but have not yet
> installed it on my new Win 10 PC. I've seen various articles saying
> that Windows Virus and Threat Protection is actually pretty decent
> malware protection. Should I ...
>
> (a) Install Malwarebytes for both real-time and on-demand protection,
> superseding Windows Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> (b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
> Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
> protection?
>
> (c) Forget about Malwarebytes on this PC and just rely on Windows
> Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> The only negative thing I have to say about Malwarebytes is that when
> I resume Windows _7_ after hibernation, Malwarebytes locks up my PC
> for several minutes while doing a disc scan, despite the fact that I
> have it configured to scan automatically at 9 AM and if it misses
> that time to wait till 9 AM the next day.

Find some recent AV-Comparatives PDF file.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/avc_mpt_202109.pdf

Malwarebytes started business, as a "heuristic" or "malware hooks" based tool.

Some of the AV products on AV-comparatives, might have no heuristic
detection at all. Heuristic is intended for "new" malware, where
no signature update is available yet, nor changes to the scanner
in cases where the scanner might not be equipped to deal with it.

What I notice the most about AV products, via occasional sampling of
AV-Comparatives, is no AV product "stays at the top of the list"
forever. Products slip.

A few are predictably bad. It's a wonder a certain product in
the list in that PDF sample, doesn't "have its own trophy".
Like my Bowling League "Best Attendance" trophy :-)
(See, we're all good at something.)

AV-Comparatives tastefully, does not include the
weaker products from the Virustotal scan results page.
And that's a good thing. You would not want the graphs blown
up by a product that missed the detection of all 10,000 test
items.

Paul

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<N_CdnaNwl_VkmED8nZ2dnUU7-IGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57583&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57583

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 22:22:17 -0600
 by: Ant - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 04:22 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
> Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> [...]

> > (b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
> > Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
> > protection?

> Option (b) for me as well.
>
> I use Avast Free Antivirus, not (Microsoft) Windows Defender, but that
> does not make any real difference.

> Like for Winston, for me Malwarebytes never found anything either. I
> installed it when we had a malware suspicion - which turned out false -
> and left it installed, but never needed it afterwards.

> [...]

Mine only found PuP and cookies. Nothing bad IMO.
--
Slammy new week as expected. Lots of spams again! 2022 isn't any better and different so far. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<srj8gf$g0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57585&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57585

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 01:35:57 -0500
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 06:35 UTC

Paul wrote:
> On 1/9/2022 4:29 PM, Stan Brown wrote:
>> As you all know, Windows Defender comes as part of with Windows 10.
>>
>> I have a multiple-PC license for Malwarebytes, but have not yet
>> installed it on my new Win 10 PC. I've seen various articles saying
>> that Windows Virus and Threat Protection is actually pretty decent
>> malware protection. Should I ...
>>
>> (a) Install Malwarebytes for both real-time and on-demand protection,
>> superseding Windows Virus and Threat Protection ?
>>
>> (b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
>> Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
>> protection?
>>
>> (c) Forget about Malwarebytes on this PC and just rely on Windows
>> Virus and Threat Protection ?
>>
>> The only negative thing I have to say about Malwarebytes is that when
>> I resume Windows _7_ after hibernation, Malwarebytes locks up my PC
>> for several minutes while doing a disc scan, despite the fact that I
>> have it configured to scan automatically at 9 AM and if it misses
>> that time to wait till 9 AM the next day.
>>

> Find some recent AV-Comparatives PDF file.
>
> https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/avc_mpt_202109.pdf
>
> A few are predictably bad. It's a wonder a certain product in
> the list in that PDF sample, doesn't "have its own trophy".
> Like my Bowling League "Best Attendance" trophy :-)
> (See, we're all good at something.)

They'd all claim the same, pins falling down but never a perfect 300
Charge more for the subscription to cover the cost of the room store the
trophies and the maintenance to blow the dust off before marketing the
next 'look at our trophy room' picture.

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<xXYvbtKTTsbKpzwcnadMFqxrjFJaZDWv@news.usenet.farm>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57595&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57595

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 22 12:12:19 UTC
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: d...@d.d (Dee)
 by: Dee - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 12:12 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> As you all know, Windows Defender comes as part of with Windows
> 10.
>
> I have a multiple-PC license for Malwarebytes, but have not yet
> installed it on my new Win 10 PC. I've seen various articles
> saying that Windows Virus and Threat Protection is actually pretty
> decent malware protection. Should I ...
>
> (a) Install Malwarebytes for both real-time and on-demand
> protection, superseding Windows Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> (b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but
> install Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra
> level of protection?
>
> (c) Forget about Malwarebytes on this PC and just rely on Windows
> Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> The only negative thing I have to say about Malwarebytes is that
> when I resume Windows _7_ after hibernation, Malwarebytes locks up
> my PC for several minutes while doing a disc scan, despite the
> fact that I have it configured to scan automatically at 9 AM and
> if it misses that time to wait till 9 AM the next day.

I have Malwarebytes running real-time alongside Windows Defender, and
they play very nicely together. I have had no problems whatsoever. I
especially like the Malwarebytes browser extension for Firefox.

Dee

Re: Windows Defender v. Malwarebytes

<MPG.3c47612e7a73be6898fe74@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57612&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57612

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 09:41:44 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:41 UTC

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 13:29:50 -0800, Stan Brown wrote:

> As you all know, Windows Defender comes as part of with Windows 10.
>
> I have a multiple-PC license for Malwarebytes, but have not yet
> installed it on my new Win 10 PC. I've seen various articles saying
> that Windows Virus and Threat Protection is actually pretty decent
> malware protection. Should I ...
>
> (a) Install Malwarebytes for both real-time and on-demand protection,
> superseding Windows Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> (b) Leave Windows Virus and Threat Protection in place, but install
> Malwarebytes for occasional on-demand scans as an extra level of
> protection?
>
> (c) Forget about Malwarebytes on this PC and just rely on Windows
> Virus and Threat Protection ?
>
> The only negative thing I have to say about Malwarebytes is that when
> I resume Windows _7_ after hibernation, Malwarebytes locks up my PC
> for several minutes while doing a disc scan, despite the fact that I
> have it configured to scan automatically at 9 AM and if it misses
> that time to wait till 9 AM the next day.

Thanks to all who responded. It looks like (b) is the overwhelmingly
popular choice, and it seems best to me too, so that's what I'll do.