"Laugh while you can, monkey-boy." -- Dr. Emilio Lizardo

computers / comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action / Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

SubjectAuthor
* What do you do with Steam cards?JAB
+* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Spalls Hurgenson
|`* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?JAB
| `* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Dimensional Traveler
|  `* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?JAB
|   +* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Spalls Hurgenson
|   |`* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?JAB
|   | `- Re: What do you do with Steam cards?PW
|   `- Re: What do you do with Steam cards?PW
+* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?PW
|`* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Spalls Hurgenson
| `* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?PW
|  `* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Spalls Hurgenson
|   `- Re: What do you do with Steam cards?PW
`* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Ross Ridge
 `* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Spalls Hurgenson
  `* Re: What do you do with Steam cards?Ross Ridge
   +- Re: What do you do with Steam cards?JAB
   `- Re: What do you do with Steam cards?PW

1
What do you do with Steam cards?

<spalmi$ljr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5351&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5351

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: What do you do with Steam cards?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53:23 +0000
 by: JAB - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53 UTC

I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
got maybe £3 back!

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<pnshrg5n860sgbrm8f9lde0fl36luvrqdi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5354&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5354

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Subject: Re: What do you do with Steam cards?
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 14:45:40 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 19:45 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53:23 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>got maybe £3 back!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've done with the ones I've gotten. The
money then goes back to fund the purchase of new games. Over the years
I've probably earned five to fifteen dollars.

I don't see the value of digital collectibles (and I can see the
hypocrisy of that coming from somebody who owns thousands of video
games), but if other people like them, I've no problem with it. I get
the urge to "catch them all".

On the other hand, the crap Steam sells on it's "Points Store" not
only strikes me as abysmally stupid, but horrendously overpriced.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<spchcl$ht$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5365&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5365

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:52:04 +0000
 by: JAB - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 10:52 UTC

On 14/12/2021 19:45, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53:23 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>> I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>> got maybe £3 back!
>
> Yeah, that's pretty much what I've done with the ones I've gotten. The
> money then goes back to fund the purchase of new games. Over the years
> I've probably earned five to fifteen dollars.
>
> I don't see the value of digital collectibles (and I can see the
> hypocrisy of that coming from somebody who owns thousands of video
> games), but if other people like them, I've no problem with it. I get
> the urge to "catch them all".
>
> On the other hand, the crap Steam sells on it's "Points Store" not
> only strikes me as abysmally stupid, but horrendously overpriced.

I can't say I understand digital collectibles either and to me purely
digital products are just something I use and then 'throw away' unlike
the four hundred or so real books I have which I just don't want to get
rid of.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<spd50p$glo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5370&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5370

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 08:27:07 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 16:27 UTC

On 12/15/2021 2:52 AM, JAB wrote:
> On 14/12/2021 19:45, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53:23 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>>> I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>>> got maybe £3 back!
>>
>> Yeah, that's pretty much what I've done with the ones I've gotten. The
>> money then goes back to fund the purchase of new games. Over the years
>> I've probably earned five to fifteen dollars.
>>
>> I don't see the value of digital collectibles (and I can see the
>> hypocrisy of that coming from somebody who owns thousands of video
>> games), but if other people like them, I've no problem with it. I get
>> the urge to "catch them all".
>>
>> On the other hand, the crap Steam sells on it's "Points Store" not
>> only strikes me as abysmally stupid, but horrendously overpriced.
>>

> I can't say I understand digital collectibles either and to me purely
> digital products are just something I use and then 'throw away' unlike
> the four hundred or so real books I have which I just don't want to get
> rid of.

Four hundred? FOUR HUNDRED!? Piker. I've managed to put 2,200 in my
database so far and I've still got a storage unit full of more boxes of
books to open and add to it.

:P

dirty old man.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<lkflrghnp96kkpkqj0up4ffu4h5bj3vdbk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5377&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5377

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:21:53 -0700
 by: PW - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 04:21 UTC

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53:23 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>got maybe £3 back!
*---

I don't understand what Steam points are, or the cards.

-pw

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<iksmrgldf5h78sp8m6rop2noqdtf4hhfb7@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5380&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5380

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:23:21 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 17:23 UTC

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:21:53 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53:23 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>>I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>>got maybe £3 back!
>*---
>
>I don't understand what Steam points are, or the cards.

They're Valve's very successful attempt to profit off people's need to
collect things.

"Cards" are digital "trading cards" that come with most games. There
are usually five to fifteen cards per game, and you get three or four
of them free by playing the game for a few hours. The cards are
assigned randomly, and are tradable. If you want the rest of the set,
you have to buy them from other players on Steam's marketplace. They
usually sell for five to ten cents apiece; Valve collects a three-cent
cut on each sale. Having a full set lets you transform them into a
'badge' (which consumes the cards), that earns you 'experience points'
that lets you 'level up' your Steam profile (these points and levels
do nothing). You can earn multiple levels of the same badge, but you
have to re-purchase the cards again each time.

Apparently some people are really into 'leveling' up their Steam
profile (I've seen accounts with >level 100). And a lot of people just
like collecting things. That 3-cent-per-card cut that Valve earns,
while individually quite small, has proven to be very profitable for
the company over the long haul.

Steam Points are earned by buying things on Steam. They are a form of
faux currency created by Valve. You get 10 steam points for every ten
cents you spend on games or DLC. These "Steam Points" can be redeemed
on the Steam store for emojis to be used in chat, and backgrounds and
avatars for your Steam profile. Essentially, "cosmetics" for your
Steam account. I don't know how successful this has been for Valve,
but I suppose it encourages some people to buy more games, since
that's the only way to get more Steam Points. Plus it's another
tick-box checked on the "bonus features" list for what you get if you
use Steam.

Myself, I find the stuff - both the cards and the tat you find on the
'Points Store' - rather awful... not because I object to the idea (as
I said, it would be rather hypocritical of me to make that argument)
but because the offerings are just so... TACKY. I mean, if there was
some artistry to the backgrounds or you could DO something with the
cards other than sell them, maybe I'd appreciate them more... but as
it is, it all seems rather cheap and unappealing.

(Says the person with hundreds of games with CGA graphics).

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<spgg32$7dk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5387&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5387

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:54:26 +0000
 by: JAB - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:54 UTC

On 15/12/2021 16:27, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 12/15/2021 2:52 AM, JAB wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's pretty much what I've done with the ones I've gotten. The
>>> money then goes back to fund the purchase of new games. Over the years
>>> I've probably earned five to fifteen dollars.
>>>
>>> I don't see the value of digital collectibles (and I can see the
>>> hypocrisy of that coming from somebody who owns thousands of video
>>> games), but if other people like them, I've no problem with it. I get
>>> the urge to "catch them all".
>>>
>>> On the other hand, the crap Steam sells on it's "Points Store" not
>>> only strikes me as abysmally stupid, but horrendously overpriced.
>>>

>> I can't say I understand digital collectibles either and to me purely
>> digital products are just something I use and then 'throw away' unlike
>> the four hundred or so real books I have which I just don't want to
>> get rid of.
>>
> Four hundred?  FOUR HUNDRED!?  Piker.  I've managed to put 2,200 in my
> database so far and I've still got a storage unit full of more boxes of
> books to open and add to it.

Our purchases of physical books fell to almost zero when we got a Kindle
each many years ago so know the only 'real' books I buy are reference
ones which I find electronic versions less than useful for.

Other things that don't help are my failing eyesight means I can have
difficulty with small font sizes and also our two local second-hand
books shops closed.

Saying that I just ordered a copy of the Illustrated Good Omens as a
Xmas present for me.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<s0pprgdfmkujb9ajp28nmcuqc11r0u9h0i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5393&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5393

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:36:21 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 19:36 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:54:26 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>On 15/12/2021 16:27, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
>> On 12/15/2021 2:52 AM, JAB wrote:

>>> I can't say I understand digital collectibles either and to me purely
>>> digital products are just something I use and then 'throw away' unlike
>>> the four hundred or so real books I have which I just don't want to
>>> get rid of.

>> Four hundred?  FOUR HUNDRED!?  Piker.  I've managed to put 2,200 in my
>> database so far and I've still got a storage unit full of more boxes of
>> books to open and add to it.

>Our purchases of physical books fell to almost zero when we got a Kindle
>each many years ago so know the only 'real' books I buy are reference
>ones which I find electronic versions less than useful for.

>Other things that don't help are my failing eyesight means I can have
>difficulty with small font sizes and also our two local second-hand
>books shops closed.

I used to own a lot of books. I can't remember the count; maybe it was
around a thousand but it could have been more (it probably doesn't
surprise anyone I had a hoarders instinct with books, too). I had to
give them up when I moved to a smaller home; for a while I kept them
all in boxes, but eventually I either donated or discarded them*.

Since then, I've worked hard to recreate much of my library with their
electronic versions. This has the advantage of taking up much less
space, but also forcing me to re-read all these books as I re-acquire
them. I love win-win situations!

Right now, I only have maybe 200 books left from that old collection;
they fit into a small shelf and I keep them because these are some of
the books I most enjoyed. I don't actually read the hard-copies,
though (some of them are so old and battered that they probably
wouldn't survive the experience anyway), preferring to read the
electronic editions instead. They are far more convenient to carry,
and - as mentioned - the ability to increase the font size** is a
welcome addition. ;-)

I do mourn the closing of all the bookstores though. Even more than
visiting computer stores or game stores, spending time browsing the
stacks was always an enjoyable way to spend a lazy weekend
afternoon***.

------------------------
* Technically, I conveniently left them somewhere for a friend to pick
up and bin them. I cannot make myself throw out a book; it feels like
the worst of crimes.

** The other day I was reading a hard-copy book and I caught myself
moving my hand towards the page with the intention pinch-to-zoom the
text.

*** There's still a few 'mega bookstores' in the vicinity, although at
least half of their floorspace is spent on non-books. There are a
handful of smaller booksellers around too, but most of them are a bit
of a drive to reach, and I always feel guilty visiting them since I
KNOW I'm not going to buy anything there. I just go for the experience
and maybe to discover something new... which I'll later buy
electronically.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<spjb5n$1vn7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5401&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5401

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 00:48:55 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 00:48 UTC

JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>got maybe £3 back!

When I had enough cards to complete a set, but not the right cards, I
used to sell the surplus cards and buy the ones I needed. From that,
plus the surplus cards from sale events, I managed to build up Steam
wallet balance of $12, which I used to keep "score" as if it were a game.
Now though Steam has made it a huge pain to sell them, so I don't bother
anymore. Not that I could, it's been too long since I've actually given
any money to Valve so I no longer have access to the marketplace.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<92eqrg5bm3bdodip4798i4e749d6v2g1dh@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5402&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5402

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 20:28:31 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 01:28 UTC

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 00:48:55 -0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) wrote:

>JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>>I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>>I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>>got maybe £3 back!

>When I had enough cards to complete a set, but not the right cards, I
>used to sell the surplus cards and buy the ones I needed. From that,
>plus the surplus cards from sale events, I managed to build up Steam
>wallet balance of $12, which I used to keep "score" as if it were a game.
>Now though Steam has made it a huge pain to sell them, so I don't bother
>anymore. Not that I could, it's been too long since I've actually given
>any money to Valve so I no longer have access to the marketplace.

Out of curiousity, how is it difficult to sell them? Click the item,
click sell, plug in your sell-price, make sure the "I agree to sell my
soul or whatever it says in the Steam EULA" checkbox, and click OK.

I mean, I suppose they could cut out a few clicks, but the process is
pretty straightforward. I don't sell a lot of cards, but - like you -
that's more because I don't earn that many. But when I do sell, the
process is fairly straightfoward. Maybe I'm missing something?

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<pkrqrgha6a28emenpnlherf3jpmsjois38@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5403&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5403

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:23:41 -0700
 by: PW - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 05:23 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 12:23:21 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:21:53 -0700, PW
><iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 17:53:23 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I do get them from just playing games but so far I just sell them when
>>>I'm a bit bored and want to pass some time. So far I reckon I have maybe
>>>got maybe £3 back!
>>*---
>>
>>I don't understand what Steam points are, or the cards.
>
>They're Valve's very successful attempt to profit off people's need to
>collect things.
>
>"Cards" are digital "trading cards" that come with most games. There
>are usually five to fifteen cards per game, and you get three or four
>of them free by playing the game for a few hours. The cards are
>assigned randomly, and are tradable. If you want the rest of the set,
>you have to buy them from other players on Steam's marketplace. They
>usually sell for five to ten cents apiece; Valve collects a three-cent
>cut on each sale. Having a full set lets you transform them into a
>'badge' (which consumes the cards), that earns you 'experience points'
>that lets you 'level up' your Steam profile (these points and levels
>do nothing). You can earn multiple levels of the same badge, but you
>have to re-purchase the cards again each time.
>
>Apparently some people are really into 'leveling' up their Steam
>profile (I've seen accounts with >level 100). And a lot of people just
>like collecting things. That 3-cent-per-card cut that Valve earns,
>while individually quite small, has proven to be very profitable for
>the company over the long haul.
>
>Steam Points are earned by buying things on Steam. They are a form of
>faux currency created by Valve. You get 10 steam points for every ten
>cents you spend on games or DLC. These "Steam Points" can be redeemed
>on the Steam store for emojis to be used in chat, and backgrounds and
>avatars for your Steam profile. Essentially, "cosmetics" for your
>Steam account. I don't know how successful this has been for Valve,
>but I suppose it encourages some people to buy more games, since
>that's the only way to get more Steam Points. Plus it's another
>tick-box checked on the "bonus features" list for what you get if you
>use Steam.
>
>Myself, I find the stuff - both the cards and the tat you find on the
>'Points Store' - rather awful... not because I object to the idea (as
>I said, it would be rather hypocritical of me to make that argument)
>but because the offerings are just so... TACKY. I mean, if there was
>some artistry to the backgrounds or you could DO something with the
>cards other than sell them, maybe I'd appreciate them more... but as
>it is, it all seems rather cheap and unappealing.
>
>(Says the person with hundreds of games with CGA graphics).

*---

Wow Spalls! Thanks for taking the time to explain those to me!

Too confusing for me! Wore me out just reading your explanation :-)

I've got Steam(236), Killing Floor 2 (11) - I've never even tried it
since buying it, PUBG(7) - I haven't played that in over a year since
my brother quit playing it, Team Fortress 2 () - don't think I ever
played it, Counter Strike Global (1) - never played it, and abou 10
pages of these cards.

Got me!

Thanks,

-pw

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<spkau8$c7f$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5404&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5404

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:51:03 +0000
 by: JAB - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 09:51 UTC

On 17/12/2021 19:36, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:54:26 +0000, JAB <noway@co.uk> wrote:

>>> Four hundred?  FOUR HUNDRED!?  Piker.  I've managed to put 2,200 in my
>>> database so far and I've still got a storage unit full of more boxes of
>>> books to open and add to it.
>
>> Our purchases of physical books fell to almost zero when we got a Kindle
>> each many years ago so know the only 'real' books I buy are reference
>> ones which I find electronic versions less than useful for.
>
>> Other things that don't help are my failing eyesight means I can have
>> difficulty with small font sizes and also our two local second-hand
>> books shops closed.
>
> I used to own a lot of books. I can't remember the count; maybe it was
> around a thousand but it could have been more (it probably doesn't
> surprise anyone I had a hoarders instinct with books, too). I had to
> give them up when I moved to a smaller home; for a while I kept them
> all in boxes, but eventually I either donated or discarded them*.

I've owned a lot more over the years but a lot of them have been
'disposed of' when I was renting properties. I'm still annoyed with
myself that I didn't work out how to keep them.

> Since then, I've worked hard to recreate much of my library with their
> electronic versions. This has the advantage of taking up much less
> space, but also forcing me to re-read all these books as I re-acquire
> them. I love win-win situations!
>
> Right now, I only have maybe 200 books left from that old collection;
> they fit into a small shelf and I keep them because these are some of
> the books I most enjoyed. I don't actually read the hard-copies,
> though (some of them are so old and battered that they probably
> wouldn't survive the experience anyway), preferring to read the
> electronic editions instead. They are far more convenient to carry,
> and - as mentioned - the ability to increase the font size** is a
> welcome addition. ;-)
>
> I do mourn the closing of all the bookstores though. Even more than
> visiting computer stores or game stores, spending time browsing the
> stacks was always an enjoyable way to spend a lazy weekend
> afternoon***.

We've still got a big Waterstones but there's just something I prefer
about second hand bookshops as you never know what you're gong to find.
The healing powers of cider vinegar or tips on how to be a young
Christian man. The latter had a whole section on how to avoid nocturnal
risings.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<vcisrg5r2mf0u8kh4le695bct4ulat26q3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5406&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5406

From: spallshu...@gmail.com (Spalls Hurgenson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:55:05 -0500
 by: Spalls Hurgenson - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 20:55 UTC

On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:23:41 -0700, PW
<iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:

>Too confusing for me! Wore me out just reading your explanation :-)

I have that effect on people regardless of the topic. Maybe it has
something to do with the fact that I can drag out even the simplest
issue to three or four pages of text.

>I've got Steam(236), Killing Floor 2 (11) - I've never even tried it
>since buying it, PUBG(7) - I haven't played that in over a year since
>my brother quit playing it, Team Fortress 2 () - don't think I ever
>played it, Counter Strike Global (1) - never played it, and abou 10
>pages of these cards.

You ought to sell them. Five cents apiece x 200 = $10USD, which is
enough for a free game, and unless you're into collecting the the
things (or are big into speculation / reselling) the cards are useless
to you. You might as well clear out the inventory and get some value
from out of the darn things. That's the one saving grace of the cards;
unlike the useless "Steam Points", at least the cards can be resold
for real cash (even if you can't ever extract that cash from the Steam
ecosystem).

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<spm3q1$1hgu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5415&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5415

From: rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 02:01:37 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Ross Ridge)
 by: Ross Ridge - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 02:01 UTC

Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>Out of curiousity, how is it difficult to sell them? Click the item,
>click sell, plug in your sell-price, make sure the "I agree to sell my
>soul or whatever it says in the Steam EULA" checkbox, and click OK.

Last time I did it, I had to confirm each transaction by clicking a link
they would send me by email. As I had a bunch of sales event cards I
wanted to sell, I ended up writing a program to scan through my mail
for the links and fetch the URL, but even that was problematic as it
got detected as a bot (as indeed it was) a couple of times.

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
-()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rridge/
db //

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<spmtv8$tqs$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5421&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5421

From: now...@co.uk (JAB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 09:28:08 +0000
 by: JAB - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 09:28 UTC

On 19/12/2021 02:01, Ross Ridge wrote:
> Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Out of curiousity, how is it difficult to sell them? Click the item,
>> click sell, plug in your sell-price, make sure the "I agree to sell my
>> soul or whatever it says in the Steam EULA" checkbox, and click OK.
>
> Last time I did it, I had to confirm each transaction by clicking a link
> they would send me by email. As I had a bunch of sales event cards I
> wanted to sell, I ended up writing a program to scan through my mail
> for the links and fetch the URL, but even that was problematic as it
> got detected as a bot (as indeed it was) a couple of times.

At some point there was a way to select multiple cards and then have
them all sold at the current market value. That seems to have
disappeared or I just can't find it.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<0qdfsgl5n8jofmjut3341vjagd60rbb3b3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5567&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5567

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 17:29:53 -0700
 by: PW - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 00:29 UTC

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:55:05 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:23:41 -0700, PW
><iamnotusingonewithAgent@notinuse.com> wrote:
>

>>Too confusing for me! Wore me out just reading your explanation :-)
>
>I have that effect on people regardless of the topic. Maybe it has
>something to do with the fact that I can drag out even the simplest
>issue to three or four pages of text.

Always worth reading!

>>I've got Steam(236), Killing Floor 2 (11) - I've never even tried it
>>since buying it, PUBG(7) - I haven't played that in over a year since
>>my brother quit playing it, Team Fortress 2 () - don't think I ever
>>played it, Counter Strike Global (1) - never played it, and abou 10
>>pages of these cards.
>
>You ought to sell them. Five cents apiece x 200 = $10USD, which is
>enough for a free game, and unless you're into collecting the the
>things (or are big into speculation / reselling) the cards are useless
>to you. You might as well clear out the inventory and get some value
>from out of the darn things. That's the one saving grace of the cards;
>unlike the useless "Steam Points", at least the cards can be resold
>for real cash (even if you can't ever extract that cash from the Steam
>ecosystem).

*--

Okay Spalls. I will try and figure out how to do that.

-pw

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<dskvsghv2qjqpu7dpkd707l5s83co1eg76@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5668&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5668

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 21:08:09 -0700
 by: PW - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 04:08 UTC

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 02:01:37 -0000 (UTC), rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
(Ross Ridge) wrote:

>Spalls Hurgenson <spallshurgenson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Out of curiousity, how is it difficult to sell them? Click the item,
>>click sell, plug in your sell-price, make sure the "I agree to sell my
>>soul or whatever it says in the Steam EULA" checkbox, and click OK.
>
>Last time I did it, I had to confirm each transaction by clicking a link
>they would send me by email. As I had a bunch of sales event cards I
>wanted to sell, I ended up writing a program to scan through my mail
>for the links and fetch the URL, but even that was problematic as it
>got detected as a bot (as indeed it was) a couple of times.

*---

To heck with that! I guess I won't do anything with the ones I have.

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<d6fftg94u3qb3mju0dbf7d70a4u6vdrhbn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5761&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5761

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 21:11:23 -0700
 by: PW - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 04:11 UTC

>Our purchases of physical books fell to almost zero when we got a Kindle
>each many years ago so know the only 'real' books I buy are reference
>ones which I find electronic versions less than useful for.
>
>Other things that don't help are my failing eyesight means I can have
>difficulty with small font sizes and also our two local second-hand
>books shops closed.
>
>Saying that I just ordered a copy of the Illustrated Good Omens as a
>Xmas present for me.

*--

I have a Kindle Fire and my wife has an iPad.

But to me, there is nothing like having a book or magazine or
newspaper in my hands!

And there is AbeBooks where I sometimes find books either used or new
that are much, much cheaper than Amazon. I sort of like used books
better! Sometimes there interesting comments in them from the
original owners :-)

I only read non-fiction and "text" books for the most part. I have no
idea when the last time I read a fiction book. Maybe decades ago.

-pw

Re: What do you do with Steam cards?

<gfgftgp2qianrkiek8em089idvdje7fv6n@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5762&group=comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action#5762

From: iamnotus...@notinuse.com (PW)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2022 21:32:40 -0700
 by: PW - Fri, 7 Jan 2022 04:32 UTC

>We've still got a big Waterstones but there's just something I prefer
>about second hand bookshops as you never know what you're gong to find.
>The healing powers of cider vinegar or tips on how to be a young
>Christian man. The latter had a whole section on how to avoid nocturnal
>risings.

*---

My favorites are probably my copies of remakes of fishing, fly
fishing, fly tying books from The Gentlemen's Classic Library. Mostly
all English authors. I have some originals of those and other fly
fishing books.

Can't do that with electronic ones :-)