From: anton....@gmail.com (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: OED 3.1 CD Question
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 19:17:44 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 16:17 UTC

I wrote:

> Steve Jones:
>
> > I was just wondering if anyone here has been running the
> > OED (2nd edition ver 3.1 CD) on a 64 bit version of
> > windows. I'm asking because I managed to run it for
> > years on a 32 bit version of Windows 7 by making it
> > compatible with Windows Vista.
> >
> > However, I just installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7
> > on a different pc, and the OED crashes regardless of
> > which compatibility mode I try, and whether I install
> > the data on my pc or run it off the data disk.
>
> The obvious solution would be to use your OED from a
> 32-bit virtual machine. There are several free VMs
> around, such Oracle Virtual Box.
>
> I have cross-posted this reply to alt.windows7.general,
> and set the Followup-To to that group as the likelier to
> help you.

I have failed to cross-post it. Trying again.

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: OED 3.1 CD Question

<ts8n0t$1ftmm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5786&group=alt.windows7.general#5786

From: inva...@invalid.invalid (Ravi)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:30:12 +0000
 by: Ravi - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:30 UTC

On 11/02/2023 16:17, Anton Shepelev wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>> Steve Jones:
>>
>>> I was just wondering if anyone here has been running the
>>> OED (2nd edition ver 3.1 CD) on a 64 bit version of
>>> windows. I'm asking because I managed to run it for
>>> years on a 32 bit version of Windows 7 by making it
>>> compatible with Windows Vista.
>>>
>>> However, I just installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7
>>> on a different pc, and the OED crashes regardless of
>>> which compatibility mode I try, and whether I install
>>> the data on my pc or run it off the data disk.
>> The obvious solution would be to use your OED from a
>> 32-bit virtual machine. There are several free VMs
>> around, such Oracle Virtual Box.
>>
>> I have cross-posted this reply to alt.windows7.general,
>> and set the Followup-To to that group as the likelier to
>> help you.
> I have failed to cross-post it. Trying again.

If the program is 16 bit then you are out of luck. The 64 bit OS cannot
run a 16 bit application. Your only option is to install a 32 bit OS on
your machine (yes you can install a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine) and
then you can run any 16 bit applications on it. Not a good idea but out
of desperation people would do this or buy a latest version of the app.

I have been running COED 11th Edition on a 64 bit machine ( windows 7,
10 and 11) and no problems so far.

Re: OED 3.1 CD Question

<ts8u2f$1gm45$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5787&group=alt.windows7.general#5787

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:33:18 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 20:33 UTC

On 2/11/2023 11:17 AM, Anton Shepelev wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>> Steve Jones:
>>
>>> I was just wondering if anyone here has been running the
>>> OED (2nd edition ver 3.1 CD) on a 64 bit version of
>>> windows. I'm asking because I managed to run it for
>>> years on a 32 bit version of Windows 7 by making it
>>> compatible with Windows Vista.
>>>
>>> However, I just installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7
>>> on a different pc, and the OED crashes regardless of
>>> which compatibility mode I try, and whether I install
>>> the data on my pc or run it off the data disk.
>>
>> The obvious solution would be to use your OED from a
>> 32-bit virtual machine. There are several free VMs
>> around, such Oracle Virtual Box.
>>
>> I have cross-posted this reply to alt.windows7.general,
>> and set the Followup-To to that group as the likelier to
>> help you.
>
> I have failed to cross-post it. Trying again.

There is some mention here, of it tripping over something print-related.
Someone mentions even having to turn off the print spooler.

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/issues/565

I doubt a compatibility mode is going to help, if that problem
has been present for a couple decades.

And it does mention it is 16 bit code, and, that there is
an executable (16-bit) crafted, just to get it running
on Windows XP.

64-bit Windows: Runs 64-bit and 32-bit programs
32-bit Windows: Runs 32-bit and 16-bit programs
^^^^^^

So right away, that is an issue/limitation, and then you
have to solve the print subsystem issue somehow.

By the way, that thread contains a link to the CD.
The CD has two files on it (suitable for "installation").

Name: Oxford English Dictionary (Second Edition).iso
Size: 636,436,480 bytes (606 MiB)
SHA256: DA5204DFAE2F6EDABABEDBEB0A67DC70E13EB40D347CF7EE6345F3A75C3D3CC1

*******

What fun. What opportunities :-)

https://michaelmeyer.fr/oed-unraveling-1
https://michaelmeyer.fr/oed-unraveling-2

It's amazing that 30 year old materials were that advanced.

Paul