It is the theory which decides what can be observed. -- Albert Einstein

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

SubjectAuthor
* USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
+* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?David E. Ross
|+* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
||+* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Andy Burns
|||+* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Andy Burns
|||+- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|||`* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Piet
||| `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|||  +* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Herbert Kleebauer
|||  |`* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|||  | `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Herbert Kleebauer
|||  |  `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|||  |   `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Herbert Kleebauer
|||  |    `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|||  |     `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Herbert Kleebauer
|||  |      `- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|||  `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Char Jackson
|||   `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|||    `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Char Jackson
|||     `- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
||+- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Carlos E.R.
||+- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?JJ
||+* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Paul
|||`- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
||`* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Graham J
|| +* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Paul
|| |+* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?David E. Ross
|| |`- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|| `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
||  `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Graham J
||   `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
||    `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Graham J
||     `- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
|`* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Mark Lloyd
| +* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
| |`* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Char Jackson
| | `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
| |  `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Char Jackson
| |   `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
| |    `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Zaidy036
| |     `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
| |      `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Zaidy036
| |       `- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
| `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?David E. Ross
|  `- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?Char Jackson
`* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?DanS
 +- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?nospam
 +* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
 |`* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?DanS
 | `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
 |  +- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?DanS
 |  `- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?DanS
 `* Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?MajorLanGod
  +- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?R.Wieser
  `- Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?MajorLanGod

Pages:123
Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

<tq0evu$11pp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5536&group=alt.windows7.general#5536

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 09:54:18 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:54 UTC

"DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in message
> "R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote in

>> I've got just one question What exactly was my query ?
>
> How to transfer files over USB using something that doesn't want to
> install drivers and work 'like ethernet'.

Nope, I didn't. Quite the opposite actually.

But if you think otherwise (which you obviously do) you're ofcourse free to
prove me wrong by quoting where I said what you claim I did. Again, good
luck with that.

> Although I did remeber it, you can't be that stupid to not realize
> that with this non-realtime communicatrion method, I can just reread
> it before replying here?

:-) Normally I'm the one trying to remind the other of that.

Alas, although you seem to be aware of the possibility of doing so you do
not seem to have done so yourself ....

Otherwise you would have found where I said what you claim I did, and with
it proven that you are right. The fact that I do not see any such quote
shows me that you either have not done yourself what suggest I should have
done, or that you have done so but could not find anything to support your
claims.

Neither makes you look good.

>> Hint : If you can't be bothered to read the initial post
>> than you can just look at the subject line.
>
> How about...I read 30 of the posts in this thread before making
> my comment.

You read 30 ? Good for you. But it looks to me you didn't bother to read
this threads first post - in which I detailed I am after - nor did you
bother to read the subject line.

As someone said to me :

[quote=you]
you can't be that stupid to not realize that with this non-realtime
communicatrion method, I can just reread it before replying here?
[/quote]

>> As you've currently shown complaining (about someone or
>> thing) is eazy. Lets see if you find it as easy to
>> underbuilt your complainst. My guess (experianc with
>> similar people in the past) : you won't even *try*.
>
> Well, the very first one that came to mind, was the thread you started
> entitled "[OT]? How to read facebook groups (and alike) posts"

My apologies, but I have no idea about what "the first one" you are talking
about there is, nor how something that is in a long-gone thread has any
bearing on you providing proof for the claims (accusations) you have made
/here/.

> This is where you wanted to read FB posts w/o a FB account, or using any
> JS.

Ah, you *do* remember what I asked there. Do you also remember what the
the bulk of the replies boiled down to ? I give you a hint : its
pretty-much the same as whats happened here.

>> Are you claiming *anyone* here has actually replied to what
>> I asked ? I look forward to you quoting a few of them.
>> Should be easy, right ? Good luck.
>
> Yup...
>
> How about...from Andy Burns, Wed 11.
>
> "buy two USB->serial leads, and join them with a null-modem cable (female
> DB9
> each end with crossover)"

Yes, and I acknowledged that that would work. Though I did "the forbidden
thing"(tm) and mentioned *and* explained a problem with it : the resulting
speed would be abysmal. Even the transfer of a smallish file (100 MByte)
would take ages.

IOW, although /techically/ it works, from a practical viewpoint it doesn't.

> That's EXACTLY what you'e looking for, oh, but wait...

Actually, no. What I asked for where I could find a specific cable. What
Andy suggested was to hack one together myself.

> ...you were crying about having to install drivers. Or was it only
> crying about USB drivers that mimic ethernet?

:-) Are you telling me that I am not allowed to have preferences ?

It does sound like you have no clue to why I want to use a serial connection
though - even though I explained that in my second post.

Than again, you're most likely playing stupid, trying to make it sound as if
its about "USB drivers that mimic ethernet" instead of my explained(!)
reluctance in regard to using the the communications highway that a LAN is.

>>> and 'you don't understand the question',
>>
>> I don't think I've said that here. Although I likely have
>> mentioned that the suggestion to use a different solution
>> was not what I was looking for.
>
> ...you mean like in the previously mentioned thread about how to
> read FB posts w/o a FB account or using JS?

:-) Be my guest and quote where I did - and what that was the reply to
ofcourse.

Hey, maybe you can tell us which newsgroup that was posted in and which date
it was posted on.

What do you say ? Its not here anymore ? And you therefore can claim
anything you want about it ? In an attempt to try to steer us away from
the fact that in *this* thread you got nothing to go on ? Color me
surprised. Not.

> ...because there is no way to do so,

:-) I distinctly remember having mentioned some other similary gated "social
media" groups where I could do exactly what I asked for. Heck, IIRC one of
those methods was even posted somebody else into that same thread.

> How's that? I've supplied some cites.

No, you did not.

Remember, all of us can read your previous, first post in this thread. Its
two paragraphs with a total of five lines. No quoting anywhwere in sight.

.... unless you want to want to play time-traveler and claim that your
current post should be included too.

But even than you have none of what you have quoted now has any bearing on
claims in the post I replied to.

In short : you are unable to support the claims you made there and are just
trying to dig up more stuff you can throw at me, hoping something new will
stick.

Kid, you talked about my supposed MO ? Over time I've gotten to recognise
yours : someone claiming wrongdoings but not supporting any of it. When
that than is pointed out they just drop all of it and generate a new batch
of claims. Rinse and repeat.

You're not the first one trying it, and I'm sure you won't be the last
either. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

<XnsAF8DB7512CF29lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5539&group=alt.windows7.general#5539

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:01:14 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:01 UTC

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've got an USB host-to-host (data) cable (the one with
>> some hardware in the middle). The problem is that it
>> presents itself as ... something which needs cable-specific
>> drivers to be installed before it will/can work. And
>> ofcourse it software wants to emulate a LAN connection when
>> given half a chance. :-\
>>
>> What I'm looking for instead is a simple USB host-to-host
>> cable which is recognised by the OS as a standard serial
>> port (without needing to install drivers). I've been
>> googeling, DDG-ing, brave-ing and startpage-ing for a
>> while, but cannot seem to find such a cable.
>>
>> So, my question : does someone here know of the existance
>> of such a simple USB host-to-host serial connection cable
>> and has an URL for me ?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rudy Wieser

I do it all the time between my Windows tablet and my android phone nd
tblet. Get a USB cable with a fitting tht will fit the first side of the
connection. You will probbly need an adaptor to connect the other end of
the SUB cable to the second system. Once connected, the device at the far
end of the cable should show up as an available device in file exolorer,
and cn be opened just like the USB stick you are using now. This should
work with either end device.
Using this connection my android devices do not see the windows system,
but that should not be a problem with windows on each end.

Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

<tq2q24$add$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5541&group=alt.windows7.general#5541

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 07:15:27 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 06:15 UTC

"MajorLanGod" <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote in message
> DanS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in

>>> So, my question : does someone here know of the existance
>>> of such a simple USB host-to-host serial connection cable
>>> and has an URL for me ?
>
> I do it all the time between my Windows tablet and my android phone nd
> tblet.

In your case one of those two plays the "host" and the other the "device".
In my case I've got two PCs who can only play host. Hence the need for a
cable with some electronics in the middle.

Also, I do *not* want to have the connection automatically recognised and
used as a network connection (and suffer the security problems that come
with it) - hence my asking for the where I can find a USB serial cable.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

<tq3cpk$5ro$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5542&group=alt.windows7.general#5542

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 12:35:01 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 11:35 UTC

"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> Andy Burns wrote:

> Or in a single "device" as you originally wanted, but quite expensive
>
> <https://ftdichip.com/products/usb-nmc-2-5m/>

I don't know how I missed this post, but yes, thats pretty much what I'm
looking for. Not quite the full USB speed, but at least 100 times faster
than what I currently have (DB9 RS232, 115200 baud).

Thanks.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

<XnsAF8FD37297042lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5545&group=alt.windows7.general#5545

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 02:47:10 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Wed, 18 Jan 2023 02:47 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote in

> DanS <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote in
>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I've got an USB host-to-host (data) cable (the one with
>>> some hardware in the middle). The problem is that it
>>> presents itself as ... something which needs cable-specific
>>> drivers to be installed before it will/can work. And
>>> ofcourse it software wants to emulate a LAN connection when
>>> given half a chance. :-\
>>>
>>> What I'm looking for instead is a simple USB host-to-host
>>> cable which is recognised by the OS as a standard serial
>>> port (without needing to install drivers). I've been
>>> googeling, DDG-ing, brave-ing and startpage-ing for a
>>> while, but cannot seem to find such a cable.
>>>
>>> So, my question : does someone here know of the existance
>>> of such a simple USB host-to-host serial connection cable
>>> and has an URL for me ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Rudy Wieser
>>>
> I do it all the time between my Windows tablet and my android phone nd
> tblet. Get a USB cable with a fitting tht will fit the first side of
> the connection. You will probbly need an adaptor to connect the other
> end of the SUB cable to the second system. Once connected, the device
> at the far end of the cable should show up as an available device in
> file exolorer, and cn be opened just like the USB stick you are using
> now. This should work with either end device.
> Using this connection my android devices do not see the windows
> system, but that should not be a problem with windows on each end.

I apologize for the spelling errors. My heyboard is acting up and I
haven't gotten a chance to clean under the keys yet.

Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

<XnsAF9ABC6C0F75Fthisnthatroadrunnern@69.80.102.15>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5636&group=alt.windows7.general#5636

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
From: t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 23:31:21 +0000
 by: DanS - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 23:31 UTC

> "DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m> wrote
> in message
>> "R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote in
>
>>> I've got just one question What exactly was my query ?
>>
>> How to transfer files over USB using something that
>> doesn't want to install drivers and work 'like ethernet'.
>
> Nope, I didn't. Quite the opposite actually.
>
> But if you think otherwise (which you obviously do) you're
> ofcourse free to prove me wrong by quoting where I said
> what you claim I did. Again, good luck with that.

Wasn't hard, it was your first post, first paragraph...

I've got an USB host-to-host (data) cable (the one with some hardware in the
middle). The problem is that it presents itself as ... something which
needs cable-specific drivers to be installed before it will/can work. And
ofcourse it software wants to emulate a LAN connection when given half a
chance. :-\

What I'm looking for instead is a simple USB host-to-host cable which is
recognised by the OS as a standard serial port (without needing to install
drivers).

And your reply to the first reply that initial request garnered...

What I *do not* want is a LAN connection (over ethernet or otherwise)
between the two machines

It's almost like...you have no idea what you've said previously.

Re: USB host-to-host serial cable ?

<XnsAFA883C1950D8thisnthatroadrunnern@69.80.101.21>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5785&group=alt.windows7.general#5785

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general
From: t.h.i.s....@r.o.a.d.r.u.n.n.e.r.c.o.m (DanS)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 17:57:07 +0000
 by: DanS - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 17:57 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote in

So...**NOW** do you remember what you wrote?