"Don't talk to me about disclaimers! I invented disclaimers!" -- The Censored Hacker

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Help! Microsoft hates me

SubjectAuthor
* Help! Microsoft hates meMajorLanGod
`* Re: Help! Microsoft hates meKenW
 +- Re: Help! Microsoft hates mePaul
 +- Re: Help! Microsoft hates meFokke Nauta
 +* Re: Help! Microsoft hates meMajorLanGod
 |`- Re: Help! Microsoft hates mePaul
 `- Re: Help! Microsoft hates meMajorLanGod

1
Help! Microsoft hates me

<XnsAE1EAE88E5CDDlonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57735&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57735

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Help! Microsoft hates me
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:09:28 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:09 UTC

Microsoft finally decided that it is ok for me to upgrate to Win11. Being
the paranoid sort that I am I decided to backup my system first. Various
and sundry sources led me to use Win7 backup to create a system image.

This is being sent to a 2TB exteranl hard drive that has a 500GB drive
created on it.

After running for a while, the process blew off with a Status_Wait_1
(0x8007001) error.
The wonderfull web said to run ckdsk /r, so I ran it on both the source
(C:) and destination (E:). Both runs completed without problems.
Started building the system restore image again
Died again - same error message
Microsoft wants me to runa DIR /AL /S which produces a very long series
of messages that mean nothing to me. I did page through the entire outut
for the C: drivee, and found not a single mention of 'junction' which the
explation seems to imply is the culprit.

Help

Re: Help! Microsoft hates me

<fki1ug1hiodtt0sl0hvv8bi7igk9n8t2jm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57740&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57740

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Help! Microsoft hates me
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 17:58:49 -0700
 by: KenW - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 00:58 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:09:28 GMT, MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Microsoft finally decided that it is ok for me to upgrate to Win11. Being
>the paranoid sort that I am I decided to backup my system first. Various
>and sundry sources led me to use Win7 backup to create a system image.
>
>This is being sent to a 2TB exteranl hard drive that has a 500GB drive
>created on it.
>
>After running for a while, the process blew off with a Status_Wait_1
>(0x8007001) error.
>The wonderfull web said to run ckdsk /r, so I ran it on both the source
>(C:) and destination (E:). Both runs completed without problems.
>Started building the system restore image again
>Died again - same error message
>Microsoft wants me to runa DIR /AL /S which produces a very long series
>of messages that mean nothing to me. I did page through the entire outut
>for the C: drivee, and found not a single mention of 'junction' which the
>explation seems to imply is the culprit.
>
>Help

Use Macrium Reflect Free

KenW

Re: Help! Microsoft hates me

<srqv6t$jku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57742&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57742

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:46:17 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 04:46 UTC

On 1/13/2022 7:58 PM, KenW wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:09:28 GMT, MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Microsoft finally decided that it is ok for me to upgrate to Win11. Being
>> the paranoid sort that I am I decided to backup my system first. Various
>> and sundry sources led me to use Win7 backup to create a system image.
>>
>> This is being sent to a 2TB exteranl hard drive that has a 500GB drive
>> created on it.
>>
>> After running for a while, the process blew off with a Status_Wait_1
>> (0x8007001) error.
>> The wonderfull web said to run ckdsk /r, so I ran it on both the source
>> (C:) and destination (E:). Both runs completed without problems.
>> Started building the system restore image again
>> Died again - same error message
>> Microsoft wants me to runa DIR /AL /S which produces a very long series
>> of messages that mean nothing to me. I did page through the entire outut
>> for the C: drivee, and found not a single mention of 'junction' which the
>> explation seems to imply is the culprit.
>>
>> Help
>
> Use Macrium Reflect Free
>

> KenW

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Backup at Home

Reflect 8 Free

Perfect for limited backups and cloning.
Capable of basic backup scheduling.

Download Free <===

*******

The ReflectDLHF__V8Free.exe is a stub downloader. These examples
are from when I got my copy. I put the __V8Free tag on the end
of the filename upon receipt, for version tracking purposes.

DL=DownLoad
HF=HomeFree

Name: ReflectDLHF__V8Free.exe
Size: 5,603,328 bytes (5472 KiB)
SHA1: B75679DF9BF4E2EE56BA193FE75E5DA990BF9FA5

It is capable of downloading the main program and a WADK kit.
Just ticking the main program is fine, until once inside
the tool, you can request the WADK as a separate step inside
the media builder. In the media builder (for the bare metal
restore boot CD or rescue CD), the Advanced option allows you
to select a version of WADK kit.

Should give you this program installer

Name: v8.0.6353_reflect_setup_free_x64.exe
Size: 176,450,176 bytes (168 MiB)
SHA1: F565AAE97BDF2996994290444C92CB7B456C59F4

Running that should be enough to put the software on
the machine. Then you can make your Macrium CD or Macrium USB stick.

Without the Advanced option in the Media Builder, you will end
up with a WinRE.wim based rescue CD. But I prefer the finer grained
control of selecting a WADK kit from Microsoft (where the files
are coming from when you select a WinPE version). A Win10PE is
sufficient for most uses. There is a text description next to
each option. You want a WADK that is modern enough to have
a USB3 driver in it, for faster backups.

*******

Since it is offering the Trial Version at the moment,
an alternative way of getting HomeFree version is this.
I selected a version, to match the version I got (HomeFree)
a couple months ago.

https://www.filehorse.com/download-macrium-reflect-64/66567/

Macrium Reflect Free Edition 8.0.6353 (64-bit)

If I download that, I get (from an eventual lime green link)...

Name: reflect_setup_free_x64.exe
Size: 176,450,176 bytes (168 MiB)
SHA1: F565AAE97BDF2996994290444C92CB7B456C59F4

So it is the same file, and that is the program installer.
You can make Rescue Media from the program, once started.

*******

To add a SHA1SUM checker to your right-click context menu,
you can use 7-ZIP for that. Current version is 21.07.

https://www.7-zip.org/

Always make sure you scan these things, before installing.
As part of Safe Hex. You can use Virustotal.com if you want
something more than Windows Defender. Windows Defender has
a menu item to scan a file you've downloaded.

*******

Yes, it's a lot of work, and like flying a bloody 747.

Paul

Re: Help! Microsoft hates me

<j4cut4Fos7jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57747&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57747

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 10:41:13 +0100
 by: Fokke Nauta - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:41 UTC

On 14/01/2022 01:58, KenW wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:09:28 GMT, MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Microsoft finally decided that it is ok for me to upgrate to Win11. Being
>> the paranoid sort that I am I decided to backup my system first. Various
>> and sundry sources led me to use Win7 backup to create a system image.
>>
>> This is being sent to a 2TB exteranl hard drive that has a 500GB drive
>> created on it.
>>
>> After running for a while, the process blew off with a Status_Wait_1
>> (0x8007001) error.
>> The wonderfull web said to run ckdsk /r, so I ran it on both the source
>> (C:) and destination (E:). Both runs completed without problems.
>> Started building the system restore image again
>> Died again - same error message
>> Microsoft wants me to runa DIR /AL /S which produces a very long series
>> of messages that mean nothing to me. I did page through the entire outut
>> for the C: drivee, and found not a single mention of 'junction' which the
>> explation seems to imply is the culprit.
>>
>> Help
>
> Use Macrium Reflect Free
>

> KenW

This works perfectly. I use it for all our pc's and laptops, for quite a
few years now.

Fokke

Re: Help! Microsoft hates me

<XnsAE1FAEDE2862Flonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57777&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57777

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 23:11:24 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 23:11 UTC

KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote
in news:fki1ug1hiodtt0sl0hvv8bi7igk9n8t2jm@4ax.com:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:09:28 GMT, MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft finally decided that it is ok for me to upgrate to Win11.
>>Being the paranoid sort that I am I decided to backup my system first.
>>Various and sundry sources led me to use Win7 backup to create a
>>system image.
>>
>>This is being sent to a 2TB exteranl hard drive that has a 500GB drive
>>created on it.
>>
>>After running for a while, the process blew off with a Status_Wait_1
>>(0x8007001) error.
>>The wonderfull web said to run ckdsk /r, so I ran it on both the
>>source (C:) and destination (E:). Both runs completed without
>>problems. Started building the system restore image again
>>Died again - same error message
>>Microsoft wants me to runa DIR /AL /S which produces a very long
>>series of messages that mean nothing to me. I did page through the
>>entire outut for the C: drivee, and found not a single mention of
>>'junction' which the explation seems to imply is the culprit.
>>
>>Help
>
> Use Macrium Reflect Free
>

> KenW

More news:
The Seagate tools I downloaded passed my external hard drive with no
problems, but after trying both Win7 Back and Macrim Reflect, the
consensus is it isn't going to work. One of the other replies suggested
the disk was bad, and I am going to agree. So wish me luch with my in-
place Win11 upgrade. I am going to create a vanilla Win11 install on a
USB stick. If I really have to I can recreate all my installed apps. I
will copy off the User directory before starting.

Re: Help! Microsoft hates me

<srtig2$o9g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57786&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57786

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 23:27:40 -0500
 by: Paul - Sat, 15 Jan 2022 04:27 UTC

On 1/14/2022 6:11 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote
> in news:fki1ug1hiodtt0sl0hvv8bi7igk9n8t2jm@4ax.com:
>
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:09:28 GMT, MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft finally decided that it is ok for me to upgrate to Win11.
>>> Being the paranoid sort that I am I decided to backup my system first.
>>> Various and sundry sources led me to use Win7 backup to create a
>>> system image.
>>>
>>> This is being sent to a 2TB exteranl hard drive that has a 500GB drive
>>> created on it.
>>>
>>> After running for a while, the process blew off with a Status_Wait_1
>>> (0x8007001) error.
>>> The wonderfull web said to run ckdsk /r, so I ran it on both the
>>> source (C:) and destination (E:). Both runs completed without
>>> problems. Started building the system restore image again
>>> Died again - same error message
>>> Microsoft wants me to runa DIR /AL /S which produces a very long
>>> series of messages that mean nothing to me. I did page through the
>>> entire outut for the C: drivee, and found not a single mention of
>>> 'junction' which the explation seems to imply is the culprit.
>>>
>>> Help
>>
>> Use Macrium Reflect Free
>>

>> KenW
>
> More news:
> The Seagate tools I downloaded passed my external hard drive with no
> problems, but after trying both Win7 Back and Macrim Reflect, the
> consensus is it isn't going to work. One of the other replies suggested
> the disk was bad, and I am going to agree. So wish me luch with my in-
> place Win11 upgrade. I am going to create a vanilla Win11 install on a
> USB stick. If I really have to I can recreate all my installed apps. I
> will copy off the User directory before starting.

Surely you have something in the room, to use for storage.

1) Macrium can do a backup to a file share.
The storage on a second PC can then be used
to hold a backup.

Once the file is on that second PC, and Macrium is no longer
writing to it, you can do a Verify in Macrium on the second PC
and verify the image created has a good checksum. Just as on a
ZIP, there is a Test function to investigate whether the ZIP
is good.

I've used this method more than once, when things weren't going
so good.

2) Do the backup image to a RAM drive. Some of the new installs,
the C: is still small enough for the image to fit in a RAM drive.

This is an example of a freebie, very nice, that mounts a few
different container types, but it can also make a RAMDRIVE.

The RAMDRIVE step is purely to get the job over with, then
concentrate on file copying as a later step.

3) Macrium can backup to DVDs. But I don't recommend this, as it
can take quite some time. Even Windows 7 Backup makes DVDs, but
the IMAPI2 burning interface, it doesn't know how to erase
DVD-RW discs, and you end up popping them into Imgburn and doing
a quick erase on them there, then popping the DVD back into
the machine doing the backup. It took me *two hours* to back up
a Windows 7 fresh install once, using four DVD-RW, something I
don't want to ever try again.

4) You could back up to an SD. My laptop, amazing beast that it is
for a single core CPU machine, it has a hole for a SD. Modern machines
can use >32GB SD cards. Mine is still limited to 32GB ones, no larger.

Short of burning furniture on the Titanic to keep warm, have
a look around the room at your vast resources, and there
will be a bucket of some kind you can put the materials
in, as an intermediate storage.

*******

Unfortunately, Windows does not have a nice "mkfile" utility.
The Microsoft "fsutil" has a createfile option, which could have
been a contender, but it makes sparse files, and thus is hardly
useful for write-testing of balky external drives. It's a shame
really, that an opportunity was missed. I don't want to be
telling people to use "dd.exe" because they hate that.

To test a drive - example:

cd /d W:\temp # place file in a temp directory on extHDD, as your test

dd.exe if=/dev/zero of=testfile.bin bs=1048576 count=10000 # write 10GB to the
# external disk W:

( http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.6beta3.zip )

That's just to see if the write will finish.

Paul

Re: Help! Microsoft hates me

<XnsAE2191A8AE640lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=57881&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#57881

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:19:08 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:19 UTC

Why does this eep showing up. All the entries are marked as read, and there
has been no changes for the last two days. Shouldn't this disappear now?