Man will never fly. Space travel is merely a dream. All aspirin is alike.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / delete epicUpdate.exe in use

SubjectAuthor
* delete epicUpdate.exe in usesoyon
+- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useNugunugu
+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useSjouke Burry
|`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
| `* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
|  +* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useThomas
|  |`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
|  | `- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usesoyon
|  `- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
|`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usegtr
| `- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
`* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
 +- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
 +* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useMikeS
 |+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useStan Brown
 ||+* Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usegtr
 |||`- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usePaul
 ||`- Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in useR.Wieser
 |`* Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in usStan Brown
 | +* Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe iNil
 | |`* Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: deleteMikeS
 | | `- Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe iNil
 | `- Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe iYour Name
 `* How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates. (was: delete epicUpdate.exFrank Slootweg
  `* Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Pat Bell
   `* Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Rink
    +- Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Mayayana
    `* Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.The Horny Goat
     `- Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.Paul

Pages:12
delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssia8q$6ja$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58165&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58165

From: soy...@soyon.biz (soyon)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: delete epicUpdate.exe in use
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:16:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: soyon - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:16 UTC

I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.

Epic won't let me, the user with admin privileges, delete it.
C:\Users\me\appdata\local\epic privacy browser\epicupdate.exe

It's "in use" somehow even when I haven't started epic that day.
Can you tell me how I can delete that when I'm the only user?

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<JO2HJ.12566$K%Ke.1099@usenetxs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58168&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58168

From: nugun...@nugunugu.invalid (Nugunugu)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 02:10:21 -0000
 by: Nugunugu - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 02:10 UTC

soyon wrote:

> I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
> Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.
>
> Epic won't let me, the user with admin privileges, delete it.
> C:\Users\me\appdata\local\epic privacy browser\epicupdate.exe
>
> It's "in use" somehow even when I haven't started epic that day.
> Can you tell me how I can delete that when I'm the only user?

Option 1:
Delete on Reboot.
<https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/delete_on_reboot.html>
<https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Delete.On.Reboot>
<https://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/Delete-On-Reboot.shtml>

Option 2:
Use Sysinternals Autoruns to stop epicupdate.exe from being run
automatically.
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns>
<https://forum.epicbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?id=802>
Then reboot your computer, and don't start the Epic browser, before
you have deleted epicupdate.exe.

Option 3:
Manually remove the registry entry which automatically runs
epicupdate.exe.
Details at <https://vms.drweb.com/virus/?i=20282353>.
Then as per option 2 reboot your computer, and don't start the
Epic browser, before you have deleted epicupdate.exe.

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<nnd$5ab35321$7897cda8@228453cb942f3049>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58173&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58173

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 04:57:57 +0100
From: burrynul...@ppllaanneett.nnll (Sjouke Burry)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
 by: Sjouke Burry - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 03:57 UTC

On 23.01.22 2:16, soyon wrote:
> I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
> Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.
>
> Epic won't let me, the user with admin privileges, delete it.
> C:\Users\me\appdata\local\epic privacy browser\epicupdate.exe
>
> It's "in use" somehow even when I haven't started epic that day.
> Can you tell me how I can delete that when I'm the only user?

google for ---- Unlocker assistant -------

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssiurv$582$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58176&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58176

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 02:07:13 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 07:07 UTC

On 1/22/2022 8:16 PM, soyon wrote:
> I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
> Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.
>
> Epic won't let me, the user with admin privileges, delete it.
> C:\Users\me\appdata\local\epic privacy browser\epicupdate.exe
>
> It's "in use" somehow even when I haven't started epic that day.
> Can you tell me how I can delete that when I'm the only user?

Many of the browsers based on the FOSS Chromium browser, use
similar update mechanisms. The updaters run as services. In addition,
sometimes Scheduled Tasks has entries that run, to re-enable items
that the user has disabled. For example, on Windows 10, disabling the
SearchIndexer while it is running, is virtually impossible. It
restarts just a few seconds after you kill it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Completely-Disable-Google-Chrome-Update

Google tends to use two services for the updater. Perhaps one of
the services only exists, to try to make sure the second service
gets restored if it fails.

The "Google Chrome Elevation Service", is an interesting one as well.
Programs that attempt to update themselves, need UAC to use
your Administrator Group privileges. To stop the UAC prompt from
appearing, it's also possible to install a Service (installed
as Administrator effectively), and use such a service for elevation
purposes.

In Seamonkey browser, you can stop an upgrade attempt, simply by
selecting "cancel" when the UAC prompt appears. That's to give
some idea, why Google has the "Google Chrome Elevation Service".
If Google did not have that, a UAC prompt would appear each
time Chrome attempts to update itself.

That means there are a couple potential mechanisms.

1) Disable the two Google Updater services. But you still have
to check Scheduled Tasks, in case Google has put "restoration
tasks" in the scheduled tasks. In addition, if you run Chrome.exe,
it might check whether the updater services are running, and the
program could potentially defeat your attempts to stop the services.

Google has also attempted before, to "hide" the Google services.

2) If you disable "Google Chrome Elevation Service", then an upgrade
may be sitting in the Google folder, but if you click Cancel
on the UAC prompt that appears instead, Chrome cannot upgrade itself.
It would not have permission to write to Program Files.

Epic browser then, you can use Task Manager and have a look, and
see if "suspicious" processes with names similar to the three
Chrome processes are present.

Just deleting files (which you can do from a Linux LiveDVD boot disc),
is not enough. Because each time you run the browser executable
and use it, the code in there has an opportunity to restore
the files you removed. There should be a tarball, with 100-150MB
of materials in a ZIP file, and that could be a source of install
repair materials.

Even Microsoft, when they do their ChromEdge (MSEdge) product,
they use Chromium code and they use the same update mechanisms.
They rename some of the upgrade processes, but they are using
some of the same things that all the other Chrome-based browsers
are using.

In a lot of ways, legitimate software today uses malware techniques
to remain "persistent" and ready for action. This robs the user
of control and is intentional.

Have fun,
Paul

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<MPG.3c571c6fa55dc5fa98fe91@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58185&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58185

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 08:04:38 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:04 UTC

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:16:11 -0000 (UTC), soyon wrote:
> I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
> Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.

FSVO "most". Chrome has no such setting, and since it's got the
largest market share we might say that most _instances_ of browsers
update when they want to.

Firefox very nearly does the same. There is no way to prevent it from
_checking_ for updates whenever it wants to. There is a setting to
switch it from install-updates-automatically to download-updates-
automatically-but-ask-permission-to-install-them. However, multiple
people in the Firefox newsgroup reported that recent updates of
Firefox changed the ask-permission setting to install-automatically.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssk14v$2of$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58187&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58187

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:52:16 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:52 UTC

On 1/23/2022 11:04 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:16:11 -0000 (UTC), soyon wrote:
>> I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
>> Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.
>
> FSVO "most". Chrome has no such setting, and since it's got the
> largest market share we might say that most _instances_ of browsers
> update when they want to.
>
> Firefox very nearly does the same. There is no way to prevent it from
> _checking_ for updates whenever it wants to. There is a setting to
> switch it from install-updates-automatically to download-updates-
> automatically-but-ask-permission-to-install-them. However, multiple
> people in the Firefox newsgroup reported that recent updates of
> Firefox changed the ask-permission setting to install-automatically.

The only thing I can think of, is a trick involving UAC.
Like using a "dropmyrights" on something in the update chain.

But as long as it comes in as a Service, it has the potential
for impersonation (SYSTEM or Administrator), and since running
the application itself can attempt to "reinforce" the materials
in the upgrade path, it would be pretty hard to wedge a "dropmyrights"
into it, so that every attempt to "upgrade" would be gated by a UAC dialog.

The Seamonkey upgrade puts up a UAC prompt, and that's when you
have the opportunity (if you're lucky), to stop that one.

*******

OK, here is the thing I've been racking my brains to remember.

"Software Restriction Policy" or SRP

https://www.ryadel.com/en/windows-10-server-block-infected-exe-executables-software-restriction-group-policy-gpedit/

Maybe whatever the chrome-like updater file is called,
can be blocked with SRP. SRP used to support blocking via
folders, but it also supported blocking by name. Someone
used that once, to forbid "setup.ini" on BadUSB sticks from
running. Something like that.

SRP may have been deprecated, because it gives the user too much power.
I don't know if you can still use it or not.

Paul

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<sskbv5$1b23$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58203&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58203

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:57:24 +0000
 by: MikeS - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:57 UTC

On 23/01/2022 16:04, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 01:16:11 -0000 (UTC), soyon wrote:
>> I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
>> Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.
>
> FSVO "most". Chrome has no such setting, and since it's got the
> largest market share we might say that most _instances_ of browsers
> update when they want to.
>
> Firefox very nearly does the same. There is no way to prevent it from
> _checking_ for updates whenever it wants to. There is a setting to
> switch it from install-updates-automatically to download-updates-
> automatically-but-ask-permission-to-install-them. However, multiple
> people in the Firefox newsgroup reported that recent updates of
> Firefox changed the ask-permission setting to install-automatically.

This registry fix works for me with Firefox and TB (but not tried with
latest versions yet).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies
Create new subkey called 'Mozilla'
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla
Then create new subkey called 'Thunderbird' (or Firefox)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Thunderbird (or Firefox)
On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value DisableAppUpdate

The program update option shows "updates disabled by Administrator" but
you can download and run a new version installer to do an update when
you wish.

How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates. (was: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)

<sskjnm.sc0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58205&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58205

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates. (was: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)
Date: 23 Jan 2022 21:10:06 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:10 UTC

Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote:
[...]

> Firefox very nearly does the same. There is no way to prevent it from
> _checking_ for updates whenever it wants to. There is a setting to
> switch it from install-updates-automatically to download-updates-
> automatically-but-ask-permission-to-install-them. However, multiple
> people in the Firefox newsgroup reported that recent updates of
> Firefox changed the ask-permission setting to install-automatically.

There probably *is* a way:

See the 'Alternative Solution' on this webpage:

'Disable Updates in Firefox 63 and above'
<https://winaero.com/disable-updates-firefox-63-above>

As it's only a short part, I'll quote it here:

<quote>

Alternative Solution

There is an alternative solution suggested by our reader EP. You can
create a policies.json file and store that file into the C:\Program
Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution folder. Create a distribution folder
in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder and place that policies.json
file into that folder with the following contents:

{
"policies":
{
"DisableAppUpdate": true
}
}

That's it.

</quote>

I use this method for *Thunderbird*, not Firefox, but as you can see,
the original suggestion was for Firefox.

With this 'policies' setting, Thunderbird does not install updates,
doesn't download them, doesn't offer them and doesn't whinge about them.
In other words, it's completely silent about updates.

AFAIK, you can still check for updates and optionally install them, if
you *want to. At least in Thunderbird, the (Options -> Advanced ->)
'Update' tab still has a 'Check for updates' button.

Credits: Mayayana gave me this solution (later, I found the above
webpage) and Paul has posted - mozilla.org for crying out loud :-( -
references to this 'policies' stuff (let me know and I can point to
Paul's post).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Feel free to post this method to the Firefox or/and Thunderbird
groups.

Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.

<sskiku$d59$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58209&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58209

From: gvfc...@gmail.com (Pat Bell)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: How to make Firefox/Thunderbird shutup about updates.
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:46:06 +0000
 by: Pat Bell - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:46 UTC

On 23/01/2022 21:10, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Alternative Solution
>
> There is an alternative solution suggested by our reader EP. You can
> create a policies.json file and store that file into the C:\Program
> Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution folder. Create a distribution folder
> in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder and place that policies.json
> file into that folder with the following contents:

Resident troll and serial spammer posted something similar here long
time ago until he was kicked out of google Groups:
{
https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.support.firefox/c/dbhIGd4cg8s/m/swfoma_vAwAJ
}

He was going on and on so the moderator kicked him out and stopped him.

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<MPG.3c578886cd8271d98fe93@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58213&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58213

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:45:47 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 23:45 UTC

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:57:24 +0000, MikeS wrote:

> This registry fix works for me with Firefox and TB (but not tried with
> latest versions yet).
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies
> Create new subkey called 'Mozilla'
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla
> Then create new subkey called 'Thunderbird' (or Firefox)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Thunderbird (or Firefox)
> On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value DisableAppUpdate
>
> The program update option shows "updates disabled by Administrator" but
> you can download and run a new version installer to do an update when
> you wish.

Thanks, Mike! I added that to the registry. (I guessed that
DisableAppUpdate should be set to 1, and it looks like I guessed
right.)

I got "Disabled by administrator" in the Thunderbird Settings »
General » Update pane, just as you said. Fingers crossed that it will
stop nagging me with an update it's already downloaded. (I don't want
to update, because it will break add-ons I rely on.)

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssmr3b$k28$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58237&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58237

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:27:43 -0800
 by: gtr - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 18:27 UTC

On 2022-01-22 23:07:13 +0000, Paul said:

> Epic browser then, you can use Task Manager and have a look, and
> see if "suspicious" processes with names similar to the three
> Chrome processes are present.

Follewing the steps in the site
https://www.wikihow.com/Completely-Disable-Google-Chrome-Update
There were no services (after hiding M$ services) with Google in the name.

I'll try the other suggestins next.

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssmr8p$ljc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58238&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58238

From: xxx...@yyy.zzz (gtr)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:30:37 -0800
 by: gtr - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 18:30 UTC

On 2022-01-23 15:45:47 +0000, Stan Brown said:

> Thanks, Mike! I added that to the registry.

Saw this threed and added it to the Chrome and Firefox too.
I then instaled Epic which seems like a chromium like browser.
But the desable updater steps are different for Epic I think.

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssn2ch$pbr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58245&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58245

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:32:10 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:32 UTC

Stan,

> (I don't want to update, because it will break add-ons I rely on.)

Suggestion :

Find yourself a copy of the version of Thunderbird you're currently running
(mind the past updates, they may-or-may-not be reflected in the version it
displays) and save it somewhere. Do the same for your add-ons. That way
you can allways "roll back" when something happens to it.

(I myself do not even install if I cannot download and save it to disk)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssn45n$kb6$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58246&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58246

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:02:11 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 21:02 UTC

On 1/24/2022 1:27 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2022-01-22 23:07:13 +0000, Paul said:
>
>> Epic browser then, you can use Task Manager and have a look, and
>> see if "suspicious" processes with names similar to the three
>> Chrome processes are present.
>
> Follewing the steps in the site
> https://www.wikihow.com/Completely-Disable-Google-Chrome-Update
> There were no services (after hiding M$ services) with Google in the name.
>
> I'll try the other suggestins next.

The idea is, if Google calls theirs GoogleUpdate.exe , then
Epic calls theirs EpicUpdate.exe . These programs should be
similar in size, if both happened to be present on the same PC.

Paul

Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)

<MPG.3c58d08a3418401798fe95@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58251&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58251

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:05:17 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:05 UTC

Xposted to alt.comp.software.thunderbird and firefox, where this
topic comes up periodically.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:57:24 +0000, MikeS wrote:

[About inhibiting Mozilla auto-updates]

> This registry fix works for me with Firefox and TB (but not tried with
> latest versions yet).
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies
> Create new subkey called 'Mozilla'
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla
> Then create new subkey called 'Thunderbird' (or Firefox)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Thunderbird (or Firefox)
> On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value DisableAppUpdate
>
> The program update option shows "updates disabled by Administrator" but
> you can download and run a new version installer to do an update when
> you wish.

Mike, I can confirm that with the above Registry entry, Thunderbird
68 no longer nags me about updates. I usually keep Thunderbird
running for hours at a time, and get multiple nags. Since setting the
registry yesterday, I've had none.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)

<XnsAE29BDFF1BF85nilch1@wheedledeedle.moc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58252&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58252

From: rednoi...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net (Nil)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 18:40:38 -0500
 by: Nil - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:40 UTC

On 24 Jan 2022, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in
alt.comp.os.windows-10:

> Xposted to alt.comp.software.thunderbird and firefox, where this
> topic comes up periodically.
>
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:57:24 +0000, MikeS wrote:
>>
> [About inhibiting Mozilla auto-updates]
>>
>> This registry fix works for me with Firefox and TB (but not tried
>> with latest versions yet).
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies
>> Create new subkey called 'Mozilla'
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla
>> Then create new subkey called 'Thunderbird' (or Firefox)
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Thunderbird (or
>> Firefox)
>> On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value DisableAppUpdate
>>
>> The program update option shows "updates disabled by
>> Administrator" but you can download and run a new version
>> installer to do an update when you wish.
>
> Mike, I can confirm that with the above Registry entry,
> Thunderbird 68 no longer nags me about updates. I usually keep
> Thunderbird running for hours at a time, and get multiple nags.
> Since setting the registry yesterday, I've had none.

I have Windows Registry Editor .reg files that I can execute to turn on
and off updates for Thunderbird and Firefox. Run one to enable updates,
then run updates from within the program, then run the 'disable
updates' reg file to turn them off until I'm ready to update.
(Substitute "Mozilla\Thunderbird" for "Mozilla\Firefox")

========= Disable Firefox Updates (cut here) =======

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
"DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000001

========= end ========

========= Enable Firefox Updates (cut here) =======

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
"DisableAppUpdate"=-

========= end ========

Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)

<ssni5j$16m4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58254&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58254

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 14:01:27 +1300
 by: Your Name - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 01:01 UTC

On 2022-01-25 12:05:17 +0000, Stan Brown said:

> Mike, I can confirm that with the above Registry entry, Thunderbird
> 68 no longer nags me about updates. I usually keep Thunderbird
> running for hours at a time, and get multiple nags. Since setting the
> registry yesterday, I've had none.

I have both FF and TB installed (both set to not update automatically).

I went to HKLM\Software\Policies & saved it as a favorite (my 25th).

In "Policies" was only "Adobe" & "Microsoft" to which I added a "Mozilla"
key below which I added both a "Thunderbird" and "Firefox" subkey into each
of which I created a 32-bit DWORD named "DisableAppUpdate" with a "1"
hexadecimal value.

Wish me luck.

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssojrt$1peo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58269&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58269

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 05:36:06 -0500
 by: Paul - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:36 UTC

On 1/24/2022 1:30 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2022-01-23 15:45:47 +0000, Stan Brown said:
>
>> Thanks, Mike! I added that to the registry.
>
> Saw this threed and added it to the Chrome and Firefox too.
> I then instaled Epic which seems like a chromium like browser.
> But the desable updater steps are different for Epic I think.

You can use msinfo32.exe (Microsoft built-in) to check methods.

[Picture] If frame is blank, right click and select "Reload" to view

https://i.postimg.cc/CMRDZstg/epic-browser-method.gif

Epic appears to be using the Old Chrome method. It uses
a Startup Program entry for launch.

Whereas New Chrome and ChromEdge (New MSEdge) uses services.msc
attack as their method.

Both Startup Program and Services attacks are reliable methods
for these programs to use.

When a browser is using malware style techniques to get its
own way, when the "main" program starts, it can attempt to "put back"
Startup Programs or Services. This is one of the advantages of
using multiple pieces of software like this, is "tag team"
approaches to persistent maintenance can be used.

Paul

Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)

<ssordq$1n5d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58273&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58273

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete
epicUpdate.exe in use)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:45:45 +0000
 by: MikeS - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:45 UTC

On 24/01/2022 23:40, Nil wrote:
> On 24 Jan 2022, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in
> alt.comp.os.windows-10:
>
>> Xposted to alt.comp.software.thunderbird and firefox, where this
>> topic comes up periodically.
>>
>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:57:24 +0000, MikeS wrote:
>>>
>> [About inhibiting Mozilla auto-updates]
>>>
>>> This registry fix works for me with Firefox and TB (but not tried
>>> with latest versions yet).
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies
>>> Create new subkey called 'Mozilla'
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla
>>> Then create new subkey called 'Thunderbird' (or Firefox)
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Thunderbird (or
>>> Firefox)
>>> On the right, create a new 32-Bit DWORD value DisableAppUpdate
>>>
>>> The program update option shows "updates disabled by
>>> Administrator" but you can download and run a new version
>>> installer to do an update when you wish.
>>
>> Mike, I can confirm that with the above Registry entry,
>> Thunderbird 68 no longer nags me about updates. I usually keep
>> Thunderbird running for hours at a time, and get multiple nags.
>> Since setting the registry yesterday, I've had none.
>
> I have Windows Registry Editor .reg files that I can execute to turn on
> and off updates for Thunderbird and Firefox. Run one to enable updates,
> then run updates from within the program, then run the 'disable
> updates' reg file to turn them off until I'm ready to update.
> (Substitute "Mozilla\Thunderbird" for "Mozilla\Firefox")
>
> ========= Disable Firefox Updates (cut here) =======
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
> "DisableAppUpdate"=dword:00000001
>
> ========= end ========
>

> ========= Enable Firefox Updates (cut here) =======
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox]
> "DisableAppUpdate"=-
>
> ========= end ========

In the light of bitter experience I prefer to keep at least one, and
often two, main versions behind Mozilla's latest wonder offering. If you
re-enable updates that is what you are likely to get.

Much safer to download precisely the version you want from their archive
and run that manually over the current installation.

Re: Inhibiting Mozilla updates via Susytem Registry (Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use)

<XnsAE2ACC1529F74nilch1@wheedledeedle.moc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58293&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58293

From: rednoi...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net (Nil)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:03:43 -0500
 by: Nil - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 01:03 UTC

On 25 Jan 2022, MikeS <MikeS@fred.com> wrote in
alt.comp.os.windows-10:

> In the light of bitter experience I prefer to keep at least one,
> and often two, main versions behind Mozilla's latest wonder
> offering. If you re-enable updates that is what you are likely to
> get.
>
> Much safer to download precisely the version you want from their
> archive and run that manually over the current installation.

That's one way to approach it. Me, I haven't had real trouble with any
version of Firefox for quite a while. Probably the last time was when
they did those internal changes that made so many old addons not work.
Now I just wait a couple of days to see if there are any complaints and
then I update. I don't think about it all that much except at major
version upgrades.

I'm more careful with Thunderbird because the addons I use are why I
use it. Breaking those addons would make my experience much worse.

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<MPG.3c5c5ac459f4182a98fe99@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58348&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58348

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 07:31:50 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 15:31 UTC

On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 04:57:57 +0100, Sjouke Burry wrote:

> On 23.01.22 2:16, soyon wrote:
> > I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
> > Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.
> >
> > Epic won't let me, the user with admin privileges, delete it.
> > C:\Users\me\appdata\local\epic privacy browser\epicupdate.exe
> >
> > It's "in use" somehow even when I haven't started epic that day.
> > Can you tell me how I can delete that when I'm the only user?
> >
> google for ---- Unlocker assistant -------

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

I'm fascinated by the chart of other tools to do the same thing. He
must have spent a huge amount of time testing them

Unfortunately, the link to 1.9.2 gets a "not found", the link to
1.9.0 times out, and the link to old versions gets a "not found".

There are a zillion sites that offer a file with that name for
download. One that I trust is MajorGeeks. However, they've got a bad
link in their download for 1.9.2. If you want the portable version,
1.9.0, you can get it here:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/unlocker_portable,1.html

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssvjc4$13fq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58361&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58361

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 21:10:27 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 02:10 UTC

On 1/27/2022 10:31 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2022 04:57:57 +0100, Sjouke Burry wrote:
>>
>> On 23.01.22 2:16, soyon wrote:
>>> I'll update a browser when I feel like updating a browser.
>>> Most have a setting to turn off updates but Epic does not.
>>>
>>> Epic won't let me, the user with admin privileges, delete it.
>>> C:\Users\me\appdata\local\epic privacy browser\epicupdate.exe
>>>
>>> It's "in use" somehow even when I haven't started epic that day.
>>> Can you tell me how I can delete that when I'm the only user?
>>>
>> google for ---- Unlocker assistant -------
>
> http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
>
> I'm fascinated by the chart of other tools to do the same thing. He
> must have spent a huge amount of time testing them
>
> Unfortunately, the link to 1.9.2 gets a "not found", the link to
> 1.9.0 times out, and the link to old versions gets a "not found".
>
> There are a zillion sites that offer a file with that name for
> download. One that I trust is MajorGeeks. However, they've got a bad
> link in their download for 1.9.2. If you want the portable version,
> 1.9.0, you can get it here:
> https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/unlocker_portable,1.html

Scan it first! There was some problem with it, but I
don't remember the details now. You'll notice there is some
advertising on this page, for some sort of snakeoil.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

*******

The OS uses PendMoves at shutdown, for installation purposes.

Using the API, the Sysinternals utility here will schedule
files of the type in question, to be disposed of.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pendmoves

You can try that sometime, if a similar hassle arises.

Paul

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<ssvo62$23gok$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58363&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58363

From: canope...@gmail.com (Thomas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 19:33:09 -0800
 by: Thomas - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 03:33 UTC

On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 9:10:27 PM, Paul wrote:

> Scan it first!

Does lockhunter do the same thing?
https://lockhunter.com/

Another option is to run the Microsoft Windows Resource Monitor.
Windows+R -> resmon.exe

Right click on EpicUpdate.exe & "terminate" it.

Then delete it.
Windows+R -> del %LOCALAPPDATA%\Epic Privacy Browser\Intaller\EpicUpdate.exe

It might come back though.

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<st02a3$ot0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58366&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58366

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 01:25:20 -0500
 by: Paul - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 06:25 UTC

On 1/27/2022 10:33 PM, Thomas wrote:
> On Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 9:10:27 PM, Paul wrote:
>
>> Scan it first!
>
> Does lockhunter do the same thing?
> https://lockhunter.com/
>
> Another option is to run the Microsoft Windows Resource Monitor.
> Windows+R -> resmon.exe
>
> Right click on EpicUpdate.exe & "terminate" it.
>
> Then delete it.
> Windows+R -> del %LOCALAPPDATA%\Epic Privacy Browser\Intaller\EpicUpdate.exe
>
> It might come back though.

For naive software, Autoruns can also be used to disable it.
Then it depends on how "aggressive" the software is, as to
whether it comes back or not.

I'm not a big fan of busting locks. I just flip over to
Linux and avoid permission issues there.

Paul

Re: delete epicUpdate.exe in use

<MPG.3c5d9a9f15c6cd8098fe9b@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58371&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58371

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 06:16:32 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 14:16 UTC

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 21:10:27 -0500, Paul wrote:
> Scan it first! There was some problem with it, but I
> don't remember the details now. You'll notice there is some
> advertising on this page, for some sort of snakeoil.
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

I think you're missing part of the URL. The above just runs a search
on Archive.org/web.

Here is the change log for 1.9.2, from http://emptyloop.com/unlocker/

Unlocker 1.9.2 for 32 and 64 bit - 5/16/2013

- Improved Installer: Universal installer for both 32 and 64 bit
machines
- Fixed Bug: Fixed small memory and behavior bugs
- Promotional feature: Fully optional Delta toolbar.

That seems pretty transparent to me.