The Macintosh is Xerox technology at its best.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: network cable sensing

SubjectAuthor
* network cable sensingyossarian
+* Re: network cable sensingMarco Moock
|+* Re: network cable sensingMike Easter
||`* Re: network cable sensingpinnerite
|| +- Re: network cable sensingDan Purgert
|| `- Re: network cable sensingMarco Moock
|`* Re: network cable sensingyossarian
| `* Re: network cable sensingMarco Moock
|  `* Re: network cable sensingMike Easter
|   `- Re: network cable sensingPaul
+* Re: network cable sensingMike Easter
|`- Re: network cable sensingyossarian
+* Re: network cable sensingJack Strangio
|`- Re: network cable sensingyossarian
+* Re: network cable sensingPaul
|`- Re: network cable sensingyossarian
+- Re: network cable sensingMike Easter
+* Re: network cable sensingNic
|`* Re: network cable sensingyossarian
| `* Re: network cable sensingNic
|  `* Re: network cable sensing<nomail
|   +* Re: network cable sensingyossarian
|   |`- Re: network cable sensingJohnny
|   `- Re: network cable sensingMike Easter
+* Re: network cable sensingJohnny
|`- Re: network cable sensingyossarian
`- Re: network cable sensingAndrei Z.

Pages:12
network cable sensing

<20230208131343.593367eb@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5804&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5804

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: network cable sensing
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:09:03 +0200
 by: yossarian - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:09 UTC

Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong?
I tried many solutions from searching net but nothing solve the problem. Only thing witch help is restart system.
Here is what I tried.
sudo service network-manager restart
sudo nmcli networking off
sudo nmcli networking on
ifup enp6s0
sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
sudo systemctl restart networking
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
sudo ethtool enp6s0
sensing cable connect
sudo cat /sys/class/net/enp6s0/carrier
ethtool enp6s0 | grep Link\ d
ifplugstatus

~$ inxi -n
Network:
Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network driver: igb
IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 40:b0:76:dc:78:a7
IF-ID-1: virbr0 state: down mac: 52:54:00:7d:ed:a0

I am looking for CLI command to restart sensing network cable.

Thanks in advance.

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<u09vk4$21g9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5805&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5805

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: network cable sensing
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:11:00 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 19:11 UTC

Am 01.04.2023 um 21:09:03 Uhr schrieb yossarian:

> Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable
> disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong? I tried many
> solutions from searching net but nothing solve the problem. Only
> thing witch help is restart system. Here is what I tried. sudo
> service network-manager restart sudo nmcli networking off

Please run
ip a #shows you the name of the NIC, e.g. enp64s0
ethtool <name>

Re: network cable sensing

<k8rn2jF257nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5806&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5806

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 14:46:58 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:46 UTC

yossarian wrote:
> Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable disabled (disconnected).

Wakes up?

Does that mean that the device was inactive for X amount of time which
resulted in the Power management function in LM to activate its PM
functions?:

Turn off the screen when inactive for: _
Suspend when inactive for: _

Mine (default) says: Never for both of those.

I also have a function for my screensaver:

Delay before starting the screensaver: _
Lock settings:
Lock the computer when put to sleep: _
Lock the computer after the screensaver starts: _

What kind of pm & ss settings do you have?

--
Mike Easter

Re: network cable sensing

<k8rnpcF28l5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5808&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5808

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2023 14:59:06 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:59 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:
> Please run
> ip a #shows you the name of the NIC, e.g. enp64s0
> ethtool <name>

His nic is enp6s0

That ethtool is good, lotsa stuff; I've never seen that function.

--
Mike Easter

Re: network cable sensing

<rsGxn7.tx7@yahoo.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5810&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5810

From: jackstra...@yahoo.com (Jack Strangio)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 03:28:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jack Strangio - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 03:28 UTC

yossarian <<nomail@gmail.com>> writes:
> Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong?
I haven't seen this for a very long time but, IIRC, it had something to do
with a power-saving timeout configuration regarding the network hardware.

There may be a setting in the BIOS for that. I'm pretty sure that the fix was in
the BIOS and not in the system software.

Sorry, my memory is lacking, but it would have been 10 years ago at least.
Google may help.

Regards,

Jack
--
They call me 007 at work:

0 Motivation
0 Skills

Re: network cable sensing

<20230402082508.52f1c980@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5811&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5811

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 08:25:08 +0200
 by: yossarian - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 06:25 UTC

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 14:46:58 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> yossarian wrote:
> > Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable disabled (disconnected).
>
> Wakes up?

Yes that mean that the device is put on sleep. Sometime by me pressing button, sometime
by power management.

Turn off the screen when inactive for: _5 min
Suspend when inactive for: 10 min
When the power button is pressed: Suspend

Delay before starting the screensaver: Never
Lock settings:
Lock the computer when put to sleep: off
Lock the computer after the screensaver starts: off

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<20230402082619.11cbecd4@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5812&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5812

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 08:26:19 +0200
 by: yossarian - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 06:26 UTC

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:11:00 +0200
Marco Moock <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:

> Am 01.04.2023 um 21:09:03 Uhr schrieb yossarian:
>
> > Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable
> > disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong? I tried many
> > solutions from searching net but nothing solve the problem. Only
> > thing witch help is restart system. Here is what I tried. sudo
> > service network-manager restart sudo nmcli networking off
>
> Please run
> ip a #shows you the name of the NIC, e.g. enp64s0
> ethtool <name>

yoss@white:~$ ethtool enp6s0
Settings for enp6s0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Auto-negotiation: on
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
MDI-X: off (auto)
netlink error: Operation not permitted
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<20230402115421.3773c7fc@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5813&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5813

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 11:54:21 +0200
 by: yossarian - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 09:54 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 03:28:40 -0000 (UTC)
Jack Strangio <jackstrangio@yahoo.com> wrote:

> yossarian <<nomail@gmail.com>> writes:
> > Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong?
> I haven't seen this for a very long time but, IIRC, it had something to do
> with a power-saving timeout configuration regarding the network hardware.
>
> There may be a setting in the BIOS for that. I'm pretty sure that the fix was in
> the BIOS and not in the system software.

I will look at this, but checking my bios manual there is nothing regarding power savings
on network card. I don't have wireless.

> Sorry, my memory is lacking, but it would have been 10 years ago at least.
> Google may help.

My bio comp is in bad shape too,

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<u0blur$2eret$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5814&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5814

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 06:37:53 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 10:37 UTC

On 4/1/2023 3:09 PM, yossarian wrote:
> Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong?
> I tried many solutions from searching net but nothing solve the problem. Only thing witch help is restart system.
> Here is what I tried.
> sudo service network-manager restart
> sudo nmcli networking off
> sudo nmcli networking on
> ifup enp6s0
> sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
> sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
> sudo systemctl restart networking
> sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
> sudo ethtool enp6s0
> sensing cable connect
> sudo cat /sys/class/net/enp6s0/carrier
> ethtool enp6s0 | grep Link\ d
> ifplugstatus
>
> ~$ inxi -n
> Network:
> Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network driver: igb
> IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 40:b0:76:dc:78:a7
> IF-ID-1: virbr0 state: down mac: 52:54:00:7d:ed:a0
>
> I am looking for CLI command to restart sensing network cable.
>
> Thanks in advance.

It could be the nature of the hardware device itself.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-R-I211-Gigabit-Network-unstable-connection/td-p/1282432

A number of Intel chips have supported Management Engine. This means the
chip has two outputs, one goes to the chipset processor running Minix,
the other goes to the usual motherboard function. The Intel I211, is
unlikely to be an "ordinary" Ethernet chip.

I've seen now, for a couple of Intel chips, these sorts of flaky reports.
It could be, that the BIOS hardware handling, and the OS warm-start
driver behavior (after Sleep), are perfectly good, but there is something about the
hardware itself which is malfunctioning. It's not the physical end
of the hardware that is failing, but some sort of state machine
in the chip which isn't working right. Perhaps changes to the Intel
driver will try to "hide" a defective chip design.

Take my NVidia video card as an example. For the longest while, Linux
OSes could not take the machine out of "black-screen" state using
Nouveau. The NVidia driver always worked. Now, on Windows, you could
see sometimes, the NVidia card being "kicked in the nuts multiple times"
by the driver. This means the author of the NVidia driver, knows the
card has a defect, and they add code to "keep pushing the button
on the stupid thing", to cover up the defect. Whereas the Nouveau
driver thinks the hardware works, and when my video card does not
start on the first try, the screen remains black.

And this is what driver changes, from a hardware company, seek to hide.
They don't want you to find out you bought some of their buggy hardware,
so they hide the bad hardware behaviors with a lot of retries in the
driver.

You can get USB3 to GbE Ethernet chips (using an ASIX Ethernet chip)
as a replacement network solution. I keep one of those when there is
a network problem, and I want to try a different way of getting the
network to work. One reason for using a solution like that, is modern
motherboards don't have a lot of expansion slots, and it would be
wasteful to use a x16 slot for a replacement Ethernet card.

One thing that is scary about modern hardware, is the usage of the
RESET signal in hardware, is not as uniform as it used to be. I've
seen evidence on my other machine, that it is not using the hardware
RESET signal, to reset all of the hardware to a known state. I observe
a lengthy delay (after pressing the reset button), implying the
reset button on the front of the machine, is NOT wired to hardware
RESET, and software/firmware is emulating reset. And as a hardware
designer, you're doomed if you do that, as sooner or later, a
piece of complex hardware will jam up, and it is at that moment,
that clever emulation won't help. This is why, the very first part of
EVERY hardware design review at my company, was a discussion about
RESET on the hardware :-) There were reporting requirements. You
could not have your design review, unless you provided visual proof
(printouts) of a working RESET on your chip.

One piece of hardware missing RESET, is your SATA hard drive. If the
SATA hard drive goes "insane", you have to power cycle the drive,
to return sanity. That is because the data cable, lacks a RESET signal,
as the good lord intended. The IDE cable on the other hand, has a signal
for that. Pushing the RESET button on an older machine, restores
sanity to IDE drives.

It could be as Jack Strangio suggests, that a setting, like a Power Management
setting, may avoid the bad state machine design. If the motherboard company
has BIOS release notes, maybe you could check those, and see if an attempt
was made to correct the NIC behavior, at BIOS level.

Paul

Re: network cable sensing

<u0car5$2i90c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5815&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5815

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 18:34:45 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 16:34 UTC

Am 02.04.2023 um 08:26:19 Uhr schrieb yossarian:

> Speed: 1000Mb/s
> Duplex: Full
> Auto-negotiation: on
> Port: Twisted Pair
> PHYAD: 1
> Transceiver: internal
> MDI-X: off (auto)
> netlink error: Operation not permitted
> Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
> drv probe link
> Link detected: yes

It is connected.
Please run "ip a" to see if the IP addressing worked.

Re: network cable sensing

<k8tqckFchn8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5816&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5816

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 09:55:47 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 16:55 UTC

Marco Moock wrote:
> It is connected.
> Please run "ip a" to see if the IP addressing worked.

But I suspect that ethtool report is when it is back in operation; not
when he couldn't reconnect it.

It does seem like there should be a command, perhaps repeated to 'tickle
it' repetitively to wake it back up.

--
Mike Easter

Re: network cable sensing

<k8ttpfFd1qrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5817&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5817

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 10:53:50 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:53 UTC

yossarian wrote:
> sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

I turned off my ethernet using its graphical NM in notifications and was
able to turn it back on w/ the above command; for whatever that is worth.

I was surprised to see ifup <my device> say 'unknown interface' so I
read something in serverfault https://serverfault.com/a/881581

--
Mike Easter

Re: network cable sensing

<20230402210933.759a5ffe@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5818&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5818

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:09:33 +0200
 by: yossarian - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:09 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 06:37:53 -0400
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> It could be as Jack Strangio suggests, that a setting, like a Power Management
> setting, may avoid the bad state machine design. If the motherboard company
> has BIOS release notes, maybe you could check those, and see if an attempt
> was made to correct the NIC behavior, at BIOS level.

Thanks for very elaborated answer. I check my bios and I don't have Power management
for network.
network stack-disabled
ErP-disabled
power on PCIe-disabled
ring-disabled
rtg-disabled
Nothing else that look to have any connections to network.
Just need cli command to re sense network cable.

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<u0cle3$2k92e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5819&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5819

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:35:32 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:35 UTC

On 4/2/2023 12:55 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Marco Moock wrote:
>> It is connected.
>> Please run "ip a" to see if the IP addressing worked.
>
> But I suspect that ethtool report is when it is back in operation; not when he couldn't reconnect it.
>
> It does seem like there should be a command, perhaps repeated to 'tickle it' repetitively to wake it back up.

It probably reports either way. As enp0S3 comes from discovery, not
from the link being up or down. Metadata for an ETH shows up
after it is discovered, and then that information can be queried.
Discovery, discovers the MAC (Media Access Controller), and with
any luck, the PHY (a PHY that can be half duplex, full duplex,
GbE, 100BT, and so on).

https://phoenixnap.com/kb/ethtool-command-change-speed-duplex-ethernet-card-linux

The PHY subtends from the MAC, and can't be discovered on the PCI bus, because it is not there.
When you discover a MAC, you check the MII for the presence of a PHY. The PHY could be
a different brand. And the PHY follows standards, to improve the odds it will work.
With Autonegotiate, it can discover the correct settings for a link (select max speed)
on its own. If you jam it to some other mode, then jam it back to GbE, you
*might* wake it up. Dunno for sure. I don't know if MII has power saving or sleep
now, to complicate matters.

( https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2019-mii-and-rmii-routing-guidelines-for-ethernet )

https://content.cdntwrk.com/files/aHViPTg1NDMzJmNtZD1pdGVtZWRpdG9yaW1hZ2UmZmlsZW5hbWU9aXRlbWVkaXRvcmltYWdlXzVkMzczMzk0MDkyYmYucG5nJnZlcnNpb249MDAwMCZzaWc9ZjExYmQ3NWViZTY4ZDdlZDkxN2NlODc5ODU1MzIyMzk%253D

Ethernet used to have "Heartbeat" to determine the thing was still connected,
but I don't know if a loss of Heartbeat results in "link down" or not. That's like
a "ping" that goes down the cable at some repetition rate.

Paul

Re: network cable sensing

<20230402155225.1d6943018b5ed85307143d48@none.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5820&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5820

From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:52:25 -0400
 by: Nic - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 19:52 UTC

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:09:03 +0200
yossarian <<nomail@gmail.com>> wrote:

>Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong?
>I tried many solutions from searching net but nothing solve the problem. Only thing witch help is restart system.
>Here is what I tried.
>sudo service network-manager restart
>sudo nmcli networking off
>sudo nmcli networking on
>ifup enp6s0
>sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
>sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
>sudo systemctl restart networking
>sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
>sudo ethtool enp6s0
>sensing cable connect
>sudo cat /sys/class/net/enp6s0/carrier
>ethtool enp6s0 | grep Link\ d
>ifplugstatus
>
>~$ inxi -n
>Network:
> Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network driver: igb
> IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 40:b0:76:dc:78:a7
> IF-ID-1: virbr0 state: down mac: 52:54:00:7d:ed:a0
>
>I am looking for CLI command to restart sensing network cable.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

>--
>
>Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
>AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Boot Sequence
When does this message appear? Does it appear when you first power up or after the bios is accessed or later yet when the OS is accessed? Curious about the timing.
--
Nic <Nic@none.net>

Re: network cable sensing

<20230402224622.0b6f983e@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5821&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5821

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 22:46:22 +0200
 by: yossarian - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 20:46 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:52:25 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> Boot Sequence
> When does this message appear? Does it appear when you first power up or after the bios is accessed or later yet when < the OS is accessed? Curious about the timing.

I'm not following you, what message?

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<20230402155156.031ad846@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5822&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5822

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:51:56 -0500
 by: Johnny - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 20:51 UTC

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:09:03 +0200
yossarian <<nomail@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Every now and then my desktop comp wakes up with network cable
> disabled (disconnected). Any idea what is wrong? I tried many
> solutions from searching net but nothing solve the problem. Only
> thing witch help is restart system. Here is what I tried. sudo
> service network-manager restart sudo nmcli networking off
> sudo nmcli networking on
> ifup enp6s0
> sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
> sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
> sudo systemctl restart networking
> sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
> sudo ethtool enp6s0
> sensing cable connect
> sudo cat /sys/class/net/enp6s0/carrier
> ethtool enp6s0 | grep Link\ d
> ifplugstatus
>
> ~$ inxi -n
> Network:
> Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network driver: igb
> IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac:
> 40:b0:76:dc:78:a7 IF-ID-1: virbr0 state: down mac: 52:54:00:7d:ed:a0
>
> I am looking for CLI command to restart sensing network cable.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Do you have a Network icon in the panel? If not can you add it?

I have the icon and can enable or disable networking from there.

Re: network cable sensing

<fvmWL.1335064$8_id.1333463@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5823&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5823

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:31:55 -0400
 by: Nic - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 21:31 UTC

On 4/2/23 16:46, yossarian wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:52:25 -0400
> Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
>
>> Boot Sequence
>> When does this message appear? Does it appear when you first power up or after the bios is accessed or later yet when < the OS is accessed? Curious about the timing.
> I'm not following you, what message?

That error message about your cable not connected?

Re: network cable sensing

<20230403000714.4765f33a@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5824&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5824

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 00:07:14 +0200
 by: yossarian - Sun, 2 Apr 2023 22:07 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:51:56 -0500
Johnny <johnny@invalid.net> wrote:

> Do you have a Network icon in the panel? If not can you add it?

Yes i have it, but unresponsive.

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<20230403092036.5bd7e216@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5825&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5825

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:20:36 +0200
 by: - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 07:20 UTC

On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 17:31:55 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 4/2/23 16:46, yossarian wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Apr 2023 15:52:25 -0400
> > Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > I'm not following you, what message?
> >
> That error message about your cable not connected?
No error messages, just an unplugged icon. I didn't find a thing in log files. The network manager responds but doesn't connect.

I have some other glitch in NM. When disconnecting a switch, putting the switch on doesn't reconnect, must go on the icon and move the switch to on. But that is LM bug I think. I have the same behavior of LM in a virtual machine.

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<20230403101338.0d64b3e0@white>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5826&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5826

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 10:13:38 +0200
 by: yossarian - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 08:13 UTC

On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:20:36 +0200
<nomail@gmail.com> wrote:

> But that is LM bug I think

Yes it's reported bug
https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/11400

--

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<20230403143831.a229f3f3934792613e2c9fba@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5827&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5827

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:38:31 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 13:38 UTC

On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 14:59:06 -0700
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Marco Moock wrote:
> > Please run
> > ip a #shows you the name of the NIC, e.g. enp64s0
> > ethtool <name>
>
> His nic is enp6s0
>
> That ethtool is good, lotsa stuff; I've never seen that function.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Interesting. I wonder what "valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever" means?

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-139-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: network cable sensing

<slrnu2lo82.fu4.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5828&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5828

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:20:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 14:20 UTC

On 2023-04-03, pinnerite wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2023 14:59:06 -0700
> Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Marco Moock wrote:
>> > Please run
>> > ip a #shows you the name of the NIC, e.g. enp64s0
>> > ethtool <name>
>>
>> His nic is enp6s0
>>
>> That ethtool is good, lotsa stuff; I've never seen that function.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Easter
>
> Interesting. I wonder what "valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever"
> means?

The two fields ("valid_lft" and "preferred_lft") indicate how long the
address is (still) valid for (i.e. "retained in the kernel"), and how
long the machine should prefer using that address (for creating new
connections). Note that this really only applies for IPv6 addressing,
as an interface will have several active addresses at one time (although
'ip(8)' will show it for both v4 and v6 addresses).

With statically-assigned addresses (such as set in
/etc/network/interfaces; or inherently assigned such as a v6 link-local
address), these fields will be "forever", since a static assignment has
no "lifetime".

More info is (as I recall) available in 'ip-address(8)', although I
think it points to an RFC for full details.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: network cable sensing

<20230403102302.154cf4e7@mx>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5829&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5829

From: joh...@invalid.net (Johnny)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 10:23:02 -0500
 by: Johnny - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 15:23 UTC

On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 10:13:38 +0200
yossarian <<nomail@gmail.com>> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 09:20:36 +0200
> <nomail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But that is LM bug I think
>
> Yes it's reported bug
> https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/11400

Maybe what you need is a kernel update.

You could try running a live version of Mx Linux, and see if you still
have the problem. According to your sig it might be what you need.

MX-21.3_x64 “ahs”, an “Advanced Hardware Support” release for very
recent hardware, with 6.0 kernel and newer graphics drivers and
firmware. 64 bit only. Works for all users, but especially if you use
AMD Ryzen, AMD Radeon RX graphics, or 9th/10th/11th generation Intel
hardware.

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

Re: network cable sensing

<k90al8Focs7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5830&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5830

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 08:45:43 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 15:45 UTC

nomail@gmail.com wrote:
> The network manager responds but doesn't connect.

That is the kind of problem I have when I have booted a machine in which
the distro doesn't recognize the wireless properly out of the box. It
doesn't recognize it and it doesn't have a proper driver. My inxi
command to get the most out of it is

$ inxi -Nnx

If I add an i I get the WAN IP from somewhere scripted by inxi but if
I'm not connected it just wastes time. Usually I just use -Nn or -Nni,
and usually if I want a wan ip I use curl for icanhazip.

I'm also reminded of the problem that some laptops have when the device
has a keyboard or device 'switch' that turns the wireless function OFF.

In your case, it is as if you don't have an ethernet device anymore.

--
Mike Easter