Logic is a little bird, sitting in a tree; that smells *_____awful*.

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / System Files

SubjectAuthor
* System FilesMajorLanGod
+* Re: System FilesVanguardLH
|`- Re: System FilesJ. P. Gilliver (John)
+- Re: System FilesMarjorie Lang-Oddie
+* Re: System FilesPaul
|+- Re: System FilesJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|`- Re: System FilesCarlos E.R.
+- Re: System Files...w¡ñ§±¤n
`* Re: System FilesJeff Barnett
 `* Re: System FilesMajorLanGod
  +- Re: System FilesChar Jackson
  +* Re: System FilesVanguardLH
  |+* Re: System FilesZaidy036
  ||`* Re: System Filesknuttle
  || `* Re: System FilesZaidy036
  ||  `- Re: System Filesknuttle
  |`- Re: System FilesMajorLanGod
  `- Re: System FilesFrank Slootweg

1
System Files

<XnsAE2AE220CED40lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58297&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58297

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: System Files
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 04:13:40 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 04:13 UTC

Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a music
folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and Windows
kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.

As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been essential in
keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like system files?

Re: System Files

<z9kqw1tg6w8r$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58299&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58299

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: System Files
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 23:23:30 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 05:23 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a
> music folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and
> Windows kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.
>
> As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been
> essential in keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like
> system files?

How did you select the file to delete it? Did you select a range of
files, or all files, to select the one file? If so, maybe you have
Explorer configured to show all files, and you included the desktop.ini
file to delete. Just something that came to mind, but I'm not sure the
desktop.ini file is considered a system file although it is used to
store folder layout, settings, type of folder, etc.

Open the folder with the file in a command shell (cmd.exe). In the
shell, run "attrib *.jpg" to list the attributes of the .jpg file. Is
the "S" (system) attribute set on the file?

Re: System Files

<Vq5IJ.538958$6kH7.424496@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58300&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58300

From: lonelygr...@gummintmail.us (Marjorie Lang-Oddie)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 21:59:14 -0800
 by: Marjorie Lang-Oddie - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 05:59 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a music
> folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and Windows
> kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.
>
> As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been essential in
> keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like system files?

Since someone or something set your .jpg file's system attribute, that's
when.

Back in the old days of Windows, one could see whether a file's system
attribute was turned on by right-clicking the file and looking at the
file properties.

Windows no longer shows the file's system attribute in file properties.
It is surprising how quickly people can forget about a thing when it is
hidden from view. Microsoft has your peace of mind at heart -- without
the file's system attribute showing, surely there is now less for you to
worry about in Windows. :D

These days one can see whether a file's system attribute is turned on by
showing the attributes column in file explorer.

Re: System Files

<ssqo59$703$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58301&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58301

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 01:01:36 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 06:01 UTC

On 1/25/2022 11:13 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a music
> folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and Windows
> kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.
>
> As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been essential in
> keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like system files?

Files can be marked with attributes. (An attribute is a form of
metadata, on a per-filenum basis in the file system.)

The "dir" command, has some options for displaying
materials for the first few attribute types. But
the attribute bitfields were extended to include
more than the basic file system commands normally show.

dir /ah

The following is from my notes file.

*******

File attributes can be read with (assuming user has not turned off USN!)

[as administrator... assumes file exists...]

fsutil usn readdata Y:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Constants - the following attribute values are returned by the GetFileAttributes function:

FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY = 1 (0x1) \
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN = 2 (0x2) \___ file utilities work with some of these
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SYSTEM = 4 (0x4) / as these were invented a long time ago
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY = 16 (0x10)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ARCHIVE = 32 (0x20)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL = 128 (0x80)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_TEMPORARY = 256 (0x100)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_SPARSE_FILE = 512 (0x200)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_REPARSE_POINT = 1024 (0x400)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED = 2048 (0x800) old style compression, icon colored
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_OFFLINE = 4096 (0x1000)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NOT_CONTENT_INDEXED = 8192 (0x2000)
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_ENCRYPTED = 16384 (0x4000) EFS, not bitlocker, icon colored

*******

Presumably you can assign new values, with the appropriate
piece of code to do it.

If you are downloading JPG files, there
is no particular reason for the System bit to be set. Unless
it is part of a malware, like snowstorm.jpg.scr or snowstorm.jpg.exe .
Those are examples of files the malware person wants you
to double click, where the malware person relies on the
OS hiding the extension in File Explorer by default, such that
the EXE and SCR bits can't be seen.

Setting a System bit on an item like that, I would guess somebody
wants you to be double clicking that file, when the file
simply won't delete. It's like pouring bacon fat on a trap
you've set for an animal :-)

It does not need any attributes, to get its job done.
But you can add attributes, to change the OS behavior a bit.
I would class this as a "bad sign" (tm). Should not happen.
Just don't double click the thing, until you have thorough
vetted the file. At least do Properties on it, for a
quick look. Check the name, look for extension trick.

Paul

Re: System Files

<sss00c$lp8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58321&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58321

From: winston...@gmail.com (...w¡ñ§±¤n)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:22:19 -0500
 by: ...w¡ñ§±¤n - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:22 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:
> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a music
> folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and Windows
> kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.
>
> As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been essential in
> keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like system files?

It's rare that a jpg file would have 'system' properties.
- saved in a different folder inheriting that folder's or file
properities of other objects or previously manually changing are two of a
few other possibilities.

Sure it was a jpg file and not a system file in the folder(e.g. a
*desktop.ini or other *.ini file)?

--
....w¡ñ§±¤n

Re: System Files

<Da$ABZWhUY8hFweI@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58322&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58322

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:30:09 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:30 UTC

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 23:23:30, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote (my
>MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a
[]
>Open the folder with the file in a command shell (cmd.exe). In the
>shell, run "attrib *.jpg" to list the attributes of the .jpg file. Is
>the "S" (system) attribute set on the file?

Or right-click on the column headings in Explorer, select More..., and
(scroll down and) tick Attributes, and look for an S there.

"Usenet is a way of being annoyed by people you otherwise never would have met."
- John J. Kinyon

Re: System Files

<IaDCB6WRXY8hFw+V@a.a>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58323&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58323

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:33:05 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:33 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 at 01:01:36, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
[]
> It does not need any attributes, to get its job done.
> But you can add attributes, to change the OS behavior a bit.
> I would class this as a "bad sign" (tm). Should not happen.
> Just don't double click the thing, until you have thorough
> vetted the file. At least do Properties on it, for a
> quick look. Check the name, look for extension trick.
>
> Paul
Or open it from inside something (like IrfanView) that views .jpg files
but does not run executables (at least, I don't _think_ IrfanView
does!), rather than just double-clicking on it.

"Usenet is a way of being annoyed by people you otherwise never would have met."
- John J. Kinyon

Re: System Files

<sss2jb$91k$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58324&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58324

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 11:06:31 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 18:06 UTC

On 1/25/2022 9:13 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a music
> folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and Windows
> kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.
>
> As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been essential in
> keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like system files?

Was this jpg the photo associated with music files in the same
directory? Was it's name folder?
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: System Files

<XnsAE2DF08E2F5A7lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58386&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58386

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 05:38:50 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 05:38 UTC

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote in news:sss2jb$91k$2@dont-email.me:

> On 1/25/2022 9:13 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a
>> music folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and
>> Windows kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.
>>
>> As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been
>> essential in keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like
>> system files?
>
> Was this jpg the photo associated with music files in the same
> directory? Was it's name folder?

Yes it is. I have many albums loaded to my hard drive. Usually each album
has several .jpg files showing the various covers, etc. And you guys are
right. All of the .jpg files have the H&S attributes set. God knows why,
but at least I now know what is going on. Now to figure out the best way
to go through 700+ folders and turn the System attribute off.

Re: System Files

<ksk9vg1bqf92hfrmos99uj92v1g95eci07@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58387&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58387

From: non...@none.invalid (Char Jackson)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 23:46:57 -0600
 by: Char Jackson - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 05:46 UTC

On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 05:38:50 GMT, MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote in news:sss2jb$91k$2@dont-email.me:
>
>> On 1/25/2022 9:13 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
>>> Since when did a .jpg file become a system file? I was deleting a
>>> music folder which contained some .jpgs of the album cover, etc., and
>>> Windows kept asking me if I wanted to delete this system file.
>>>
>>> As far as I know, a file with a .jpg extension has never been
>>> essential in keeping Windows running, so why are they treated like
>>> system files?
>>
>> Was this jpg the photo associated with music files in the same
>> directory? Was it's name folder?
>
>Yes it is. I have many albums loaded to my hard drive. Usually each album
>has several .jpg files showing the various covers, etc. And you guys are
>right. All of the .jpg files have the H&S attributes set. God knows why,
>but at least I now know what is going on. Now to figure out the best way
>to go through 700+ folders and turn the System attribute off.

There are lots of options available to you, but I'd probably use Bulk
Rename Pro because the whole operation, across 700+ folders, would take
only seconds.

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

Re: System Files

<mctccjgnj2k5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58388&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58388

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 00:20:54 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 06:20 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> All of the .jpg files have the H&S attributes set. God knows why, but
> at least I now know what is going on. Now to figure out the best way
> to go through 700+ folders and turn the System attribute off.

In an elevated command shell, run:

attrib /?

That shows you the arguments you can pass to the attrib program, like
the /s arg which is described as:

Processes matching files in the current folder and all subfolders.

My guess you would open an elevated command shell to make sure you can
change file attributes in the folders, and run:

<d:>
cd <path>
attrib -h -s * /s

<d:> is whatever is the drive letter to the parent folder. <path> is
the parent folder under which you want to change file attributes. The
attrib command would remove the hidden (-h) and system (-s) file
attributes on all files, and recurse the subfolders to do the same.

Re: System Files

<st3pvs$pd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58397&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58397

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:28:45 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 16:28 UTC

On 1/29/2022 1:20 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> All of the .jpg files have the H&S attributes set. God knows why, but
>> at least I now know what is going on. Now to figure out the best way
>> to go through 700+ folders and turn the System attribute off.
>
> In an elevated command shell, run:
>
> attrib /?
>
> That shows you the arguments you can pass to the attrib program, like
> the /s arg which is described as:
>
> Processes matching files in the current folder and all subfolders.
>
> My guess you would open an elevated command shell to make sure you can
> change file attributes in the folders, and run:
>
> <d:>
> cd <path>
> attrib -h -s * /s
>
> <d:> is whatever is the drive letter to the parent folder. <path> is
> the parent folder under which you want to change file attributes. The
> attrib command would remove the hidden (-h) and system (-s) file
> attributes on all files, and recurse the subfolders to do the same.

or a batch using ForFiles and *.jpg attrib -s

Re: System Files

<st448m.1eas.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58400&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58400

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: 29 Jan 2022 18:24:51 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 18:24 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> Yes it is. I have many albums loaded to my hard drive. Usually each album
> has several .jpg files showing the various covers, etc. And you guys are
> right. All of the .jpg files have the H&S attributes set. God knows why,

FWIW, I checked a few of my albums and their Folder.jpg files indeed
also have the H&S attributes set.

The file Details do not mention which program was used to rip the CDs,
but in my case it's very likely Windows Media Player or/and MusicBee [1].

> but at least I now know what is going on. Now to figure out the best way
> to go through 700+ folders and turn the System attribute off.

Doesn't File Explorer allow you to tick a box 'Do this for all files'
(or whatever it's called) when it hits the first Folder.jpg file during
the bulk deletion process?

[1] Theoretically it could be another program, but then I'd have to kill
you (plural) after telling you, because it's iTunes.

Re: System Files

<cqlgci-lk6.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58407&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58407

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 21:48:44 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 20:48 UTC

On 2022-01-26 07:01, Paul wrote:
>          It does not need any attributes, to get its job done.
>          But you can add attributes, to change the OS behavior a bit.
>          I would class this as a "bad sign" (tm). Should not happen.
>          Just don't double click the thing, until you have thorough
>          vetted the file. At least do Properties on it, for a
>          quick look. Check the name, look for extension trick.

What about that photo being used for desktop background or something? It
could be marked "system" to block accidentally deleting it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: System Files

<st4atu$2fr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58410&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58410

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 16:17:49 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 21:17 UTC

On 1/29/2022 11:28 AM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 1/29/2022 1:20 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
>> MajorLanGod wrote:
>>
>>> All of the .jpg files have the H&S attributes set. God knows why, but
>>> at least I now know what is going on. Now to figure out the best way
>>> to go through 700+ folders and turn the System attribute off.
>>
>> In an elevated command shell, run:
>>
>>    attrib /?
>> That shows you the arguments you can pass to the attrib program, like
>> the /s arg which is described as:
>>
>>    Processes matching files in the current folder and all subfolders.
>> My guess you would open an elevated command shell to make sure you can
>> change file attributes in the folders, and run:
>>
>> <d:>
>> cd <path>
>> attrib -h -s * /s
>>
>> <d:> is whatever is the drive letter to the parent folder.  <path> is
>> the parent folder under which you want to change file attributes.  The
>> attrib command would remove the hidden (-h) and system (-s) file
>> attributes on all files, and recurse the subfolders to do the same.
>>
> or a batch using ForFiles and *.jpg attrib -s
You do not need a third party program or worry about permission to do
the job you want. It is easily done using the Batch file command in a
text file. you then rename the text file with the *.bat extension

Go to the folder where you wish to work on the files using file
Explorer. In the folder, create a text document (RIGHT CLICK in a
blank area of the folder, NEW, TEXT DOCUMENT ) Type the batch
commands, ( ie attrib -h -s * /s) into the text document. Save the
text document. Then change the name from NewTextDocument.txt to
NewTextDocumen.bat. This creates an executeable that when left clicked
will execute the command in the file.
If you want a copy of the the changes to the files, modify the command to
attrib -h -s * /s > yourfile.txt.
This will create a file yourfile.txt with a list of all the files whose
attributes were changed.

One of the commands I use a lot is dir *.txt /s >myfile.txt.
Recent use of this command was in conjunction with my project to scan
7K+ slides. I want a text file in the folder telling about the pictures
in the folder.
"dir *.txt /s >myfile.txt" puts a list of the files with the txt
extension in the folder and sub folders into the file myfile.txt.
I then compare it to a similar list using dir /s >folderfile.txt.
If you do as I said you can usually execute the batch command regardless
of the security your company has placed on their system.

Re: System Files

<st4fjb$342$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58411&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58411

From: Zaidy...@air.isp.spam (Zaidy036)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 17:37:32 -0500
 by: Zaidy036 - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 22:37 UTC

On 1/29/2022 4:17 PM, knuttle wrote:
> On 1/29/2022 11:28 AM, Zaidy036 wrote:

>>> In an elevated command shell, run:
>>>
>>>    attrib /?
>>> That shows you the arguments you can pass to the attrib program, like
>>> the /s arg which is described as:
>>>
>>>    Processes matching files in the current folder and all subfolders.
>>> My guess you would open an elevated command shell to make sure you can
>>> change file attributes in the folders, and run:
>>>
>>> <d:>
>>> cd <path>
>>> attrib -h -s * /s
>>>
>>> <d:> is whatever is the drive letter to the parent folder.  <path> is
>>> the parent folder under which you want to change file attributes.  The
>>> attrib command would remove the hidden (-h) and system (-s) file
>>> attributes on all files, and recurse the subfolders to do the same.
>>>
>> or a batch using ForFiles and *.jpg attrib -s
>
> You do not need a third party program or worry about permission to do
> the job you want. It is easily done using the Batch file command in a
> text file. you then rename the text file with the *.bat extension
>

> Go to the folder where you wish to work on the files using file
> Explorer.   In the folder, create a text document (RIGHT CLICK in a
> blank area of the folder, NEW, TEXT DOCUMENT )   Type the batch
> commands, ( ie  attrib -h -s * /s) into the text document.   Save the
> text document.  Then change the name from NewTextDocument.txt to
> NewTextDocumen.bat.  This creates an executeable that when left clicked
> will execute the command in the file.
>
> If you want a copy of the the changes to the files, modify the command to
>  attrib -h -s * /s > yourfile.txt.
>
> This will create a file yourfile.txt with a list of all the files whose
> attributes were changed.
>

> One of the commands I use a lot is dir *.txt /s >myfile.txt.
>
> Recent use of this command was in conjunction with my project to scan
> 7K+ slides.  I want a text file in the folder telling about the pictures
> in the folder.
> "dir *.txt /s >myfile.txt" puts a list of the files with the txt
> extension in the folder and sub folders into the file myfile.txt.
>
> I then compare it to a similar list using dir  /s >folderfile.txt.
>
> If you do as I said you can usually execute the batch command regardless
> of the security your company has placed on their system.

The only problem would be if there are files in the folder or any
sub-folder that should have the attrib h or s. I suggest protecting
against that by using:
ForFiles /S /M *.jpg /C "ATTRIB -s -h"

Re: System Files

<st4kql$4k2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58412&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58412

From: keith_nu...@sbcglobal.net (knuttle)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 19:06:44 -0500
 by: knuttle - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 00:06 UTC

On 1/29/2022 5:37 PM, Zaidy036 wrote:
> On 1/29/2022 4:17 PM, knuttle wrote:

>>> or a batch using ForFiles and *.jpg attrib -s
>>
>> You do not need a third party program or worry about permission to do
>> the job you want. It is easily done using the Batch file command in a
>> text file. you then rename the text file with the *.bat extension
>>

>> Go to the folder where you wish to work on the files using file
>> Explorer.   In the folder, create a text document (RIGHT CLICK in a
>> blank area of the folder, NEW, TEXT DOCUMENT )   Type the batch
>> commands, ( ie  attrib -h -s * /s) into the text document.   Save the
>> text document.  Then change the name from NewTextDocument.txt to
>> NewTextDocumen.bat.  This creates an executeable that when left
>> clicked will execute the command in the file.
>>
>> If you want a copy of the the changes to the files, modify the command to
>>   attrib -h -s * /s > yourfile.txt.
>>
>> This will create a file yourfile.txt with a list of all the files
>> whose attributes were changed.
>>

>> One of the commands I use a lot is dir *.txt /s >myfile.txt.
>>
>> Recent use of this command was in conjunction with my project to scan
>> 7K+ slides.  I want a text file in the folder telling about the
>> pictures in the folder.
>> "dir *.txt /s >myfile.txt" puts a list of the files with the txt
>> extension in the folder and sub folders into the file myfile.txt.
>>
>> I then compare it to a similar list using dir  /s >folderfile.txt.
>>
>> If you do as I said you can usually execute the batch command
>> regardless of the security your company has placed on their system.
>
> The only problem would be if there are files in the folder or any
> sub-folder that should have the attrib h or s. I suggest protecting
> against that by using:
>  ForFiles /S /M *.jpg /C "ATTRIB -s -h"
Here is a list of all of the batch commands that are available in WIndows 10
These could all be placed in the bat file as I discribed above and run
as an executable.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/attrib
attrib [{+|-}r] [{+|-}a] [{+|-}s] [{+|-}h] [{+|-}i]
{+|-}r Sets (+) or clears (-) the Read-only file attribute.
{+\|-}a Sets (+) or clears (-) the Archive file attribute. This
attribute set marks files that have changed since the last time they
were backed up. Note that the xcopy command uses archive attributes.
{+\|-}s Sets (+) or clears (-) the System file attribute. If a file
uses this attribute set, you must clear the attribute before you can
change any other attributes for the file.
{+\|-}h Sets (+) or clears (-) the Hidden file attribute. If a file
uses this attribute set, you must clear the attribute before you can
change any other attributes for the file.
{+\|-}i Sets (+) or clears (-) the Not Content Indexed file attribute.
directory, file, or group of files for which you want to display or
change attributes.
You can use the ? and * wildcard characters in the filename parameter to
display or change the attributes for a group of files.
/s Applies attrib and any command-line options to matching files in the
current directory and all of its subdirectories.
/d Applies attrib and any command-line options to directories.
/l Applies attrib and any command-line options to the Symbolic Link,
rather than the target of the Symbolic Link.
/? Displays help at the command prompt.

Re: System Files

<XnsAE2F79E2DDFD1lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58429&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58429

Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:58:54 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:58 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote in news:mctccjgnj2k5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh:

> MajorLanGod wrote:
>
>> All of the .jpg files have the H&S attributes set. God knows why, but
>> at least I now know what is going on. Now to figure out the best way
>> to go through 700+ folders and turn the System attribute off.
>
> In an elevated command shell, run:
>
> attrib /?
>
> That shows you the arguments you can pass to the attrib program, like
> the /s arg which is described as:
>
> Processes matching files in the current folder and all subfolders.
>
> My guess you would open an elevated command shell to make sure you can
> change file attributes in the folders, and run:
>
> <d:>
> cd <path>
> attrib -h -s * /s
>
> <d:> is whatever is the drive letter to the parent folder. <path> is
> the parent folder under which you want to change file attributes. The
> attrib command would remove the hidden (-h) and system (-s) file
> attributes on all files, and recurse the subfolders to do the same.

You know, I've been doing this since MS-DOS 2.0, and I totally forgot
about the attrib command. Couldn't be much simpler than that. Thanks for
reminding me.