We want to create puppets that pull their own strings. -- Ann Marion

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

SubjectAuthor
* Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
+* Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Mike Easter
|`* Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Mike Easter
| `* Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
|  `* Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Mike Easter
|   `- Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
+* Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Marco Moock
|`- Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Nic
+* Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)s|b
|`- Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
`* OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Big Al
 +* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Rob H
 |+* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Nic
 ||+* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Mike Easter
 |||`- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
 ||+- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Rob H
 ||+- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)yossarian
 ||`- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Marco Moock
 |+- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
 |`* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)s|b
 | +* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Paul
 | |+- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Nic
 | |+- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)s|b
 | |`- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Bud Frede
 | `- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
 +* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Paul
 |`- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Thebest Teddy
 `* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Bud Frede
  `* Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)pinnerite
   `- Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)Paul

Pages:12
Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0f4bt$328i7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5832&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5832

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:02:35 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 18:02 UTC

Hello everybody,
I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.

This is my actual configuration :
Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
Avast : avast 1.3.0 - VPS 170303-1

Well, I know my present version of the VPS file is old ; but I don't
know how to update it, and I haven't found information about it on the
Avast web site.

I don't know exactly where I can setup attachment's scanning exactly
when I send an e-mail from my computer.

Well, I have forgoten to tell you another thing : I usually use Avast in
a terminal with a command line ; or, sometimes I use Avast in a GUI (a
Gtk interface)

NB: I had also posted this thread to alt.fr.antivirus.avast but there is
no answer and I believe this group is not really alive.

Thank you for your harmfull help.

Teddy

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<k90ktgFpva4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5833&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5833

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:40:47 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 18:40 UTC

https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/antivirus-email-signature/#
> Enable / Disable the Avast signature

Avast GUI/ Menu/ Settings/ Protection/ Core Shields/ Shield settings/
Mail shield/ check Add a signature to the end of sent emails

Presumably that ad trailer can be added whether or not the outgoing mail
is actually scanned or not (?)

--
Mike Easter

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<k90lbpFq1bmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5834&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5834

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 11:48:24 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 18:48 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> Teddy wrote:
>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
>
> https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/antivirus-email-signature/#
>
> Presumably that ad trailer can be added whether or not the outgoing
> mail is actually scanned or not (?)

Postscript:

Tb recommends that incoming and outgoing emails NOT be scanned by AV.

https://kb.mozillazine.org/Antivirus_software

--
Mike Easter

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0f76f$32jtn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5835&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5835

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:50:55 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 18:50 UTC

Am 03.04.2023 um 20:02:35 Uhr schrieb Thebest Teddy:

> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.

This information is useless and just advertisement for Avast - company
that spies out users.

Any attacker can place such a signature in the mail with a virus
attached.

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<ufGWL.2317284$GNG9.1157172@fx18.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5836&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5836

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 16:00:26 -0400
 by: Nic - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:00 UTC

On 4/3/23 14:50, Marco Moock wrote:
> Am 03.04.2023 um 20:02:35 Uhr schrieb Thebest Teddy:
>
>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
> This information is useless and just advertisement for Avast - company
> that spies out users.
>
> Any attacker can place such a signature in the mail with a virus
> attached.

So very true, a waste of time.

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0gm98$3bsib$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5837&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5837

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 10:14:30 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 08:14 UTC

Le 03/04/2023 à 20:48, Mike Easter a écrit :
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Teddy wrote:
>>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.

Thank you, Mike, for your answer. But...
>> https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/antivirus-email-signature/#
This url is specifiqely adapted to Windows users, and they forget there
is also Linux users....

>> Avast GUI/ Menu/ Settings/ Protection/ Core Shields/ Shield settings/
>> Mail shield/ check Add a signature to the end of sent emails
These procedure is for Windows Systems users. I haven't got a such GUI.
I launch my GUI in a terminal with a command line as avastgui (without
sudo).

You can see my own GUI at
https://howtoforge.com/virus-protection-with-avast-on-ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon (more
in the section 4 Using The avast! GUI)

For updating my signatures, I have to go in Tools / Preferences / Update
and select Manualy (because Automatically or
Ask-when-update-is-available doesn't work)

In that GUI, there no option to "adda a signature to the end of sent emails"

>> Presumably that ad trailer can be added whether or not the outgoing
>> mail is actually scanned or not (?)
>>
> Postscript:
>
> Tb recommends that incoming and outgoing emails NOT be scanned by AV.
>
> https://kb.mozillazine.org/Antivirus_software
>
>> Many experts recommend turning off email scanning in antivirus
>> software since it provides no added protection and corrupts and
>> destructs email folders much more often than viruses and other
>> malware do. It also eats up CPU power, slows down sending and
>> receiving, and causes many problems such as time-outs and changes in
>> account settings. To be safe it's enough to make sure your antivirus
>> software is monitoring your whole computer, in other words make sure
>> that it provides real-time protection (also called "background guard"
>> etc.) and that this is turned on.[1][2][3][4][5] If you nevertheless
>> want to let your antivirus program scan email, it is recommended to
>> only let it scan incoming messages because many antivirus programs
>> have problems scanning outgoing messages, especially if you use SSL.
>> If the recipient doesn't have an up-to-date antivirus program with
>> real-time protection, they have bigger problems to worry about than
>> your not scanning your outgoing mail.

Well, that's true, AVAST in not really users friendly, specially for
users datas and rights.

In my mail, I use plain text with no html. So, I suppose it is less
dangerous for my mail's receivers.... And I always send them, in
attachement, my public GPG signature.

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<k92tj6F65shU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5839&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5839

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 08:21:09 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 15:21 UTC

Teddy wrote:

> These procedure is for Windows Systems users. I haven't got a such GUI.
> I launch my GUI in a terminal with a command line as avastgui (without
> sudo).
>
> In that GUI, there no option to "adda a signature to the end of sent emails"

I see.

> In my mail, I use plain text with no html. So, I suppose it is less
> dangerous for my mail's receivers.... And I always send them, in
> attachement, my public GPG signature.

Well I can consider some issues here.

First, there is absolutely no danger of your sending your correspondents
malware in your plaintext content.

Second, there is no /true/ benefit to sending the Avast 'sig' (not
properly sig delimited)

> ---

Third, depending on the correspondent, some might mistakenly be
reassured by an Avast sig, while some others might mistakenly be put off
by their misguided concern about the 'unknown' content of your gpg sig,
presumably cleartext.

This is another example of the problem of correspondents having or not
having 'insight' into the content of each other's mail.

Some people LUV to send and receive html mail; some people who receive
html mail not only don't want html, they also don't want to render that
content when received. Some people want to send encrypted mail, others
don't want to 'rig for' its decryption.

In the past, I received html mail from a friend who felt that he could
express himself better that way, but I didn't often render his html. He
frequently 'needed' to receive mail from me which was 'illustrated'
which I did w/ annotated graphic attachments.

--
Mike Easter

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<k92v74F6bjbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5840&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5840

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 17:48:54 +0200
 by: s|b - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 15:48 UTC

On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:02:35 +0200, Thebest Teddy wrote:

> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.

The best would be to uninstall Avast. They have been gathering all sorts
of user data. I just read an article that they stopped doing this (so
they say), but for me this is enough to *not* install that crap.

--
s|b

OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0hi43$3fs3t$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5841&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5841

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 12:09:39 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:09 UTC

On 4/3/23 14:02, this is what Thebest Teddy wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
>
> This is my actual configuration :
> Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
> Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
> Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
> Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
> Avast : avast 1.3.0 - VPS 170303-1
>
> Well, I know my present version of the VPS file is old ; but I don't
> know how to update it, and I haven't found information about it on the
> Avast web site.
>
> I don't know exactly where I can setup attachment's scanning exactly
> when I send an e-mail from my computer.
>
> Well, I have forgoten to tell you another thing : I usually use Avast in
> a terminal with a command line ; or, sometimes I use Avast in a GUI (a
> Gtk interface)
>

> NB: I had also posted this thread to alt.fr.antivirus.avast but there is
> no answer and I believe this group is not really alive.
>
> Thank you for your harmfull help.
>
> Teddy
OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses? I was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.
--
Al

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0hoe0$3gq7m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5842&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5842

From: rob...@despammer.com (Rob H)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 18:57:20 +0100
 by: Rob H - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 17:57 UTC

On 04/04/2023 17:09, Big Al wrote:
> On 4/3/23 14:02, this is what Thebest Teddy wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
>>
>> This is my actual configuration :
>>     Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
>>     Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
>>     Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
>>     Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
>>     Avast : avast 1.3.0 - VPS 170303-1
>>
>> Well, I know my present version of the VPS file is old ; but I don't
>> know how to update it, and I haven't found information about it on the
>> Avast web site.
>>
>> I don't know exactly where I can setup attachment's scanning exactly
>> when I send an e-mail from my computer.
>>
>> Well, I have forgoten to tell you another thing : I usually use Avast in
>> a terminal with a command line ; or, sometimes I use Avast in a GUI (a
>> Gtk interface)
>>

>> NB: I had also posted this thread to alt.fr.antivirus.avast but there is
>> no answer and I believe this group is not really alive.
>>
>> Thank you for your harmfull help.
>>
>> Teddy
> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses?   I was
> of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.

Right.
I have never had a virus on my linux systems in the 5 years or so I have
been using linux.

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<Z1_WL.217617$0XR7.94527@fx07.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5843&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5843

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic...@none.net (Nic)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 14:31:20 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 18:31 UTC

On 4/4/23 13:57, Rob H wrote:
> On 04/04/2023 17:09, Big Al wrote:
>> On 4/3/23 14:02, this is what Thebest Teddy wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
>>>
>>> This is my actual configuration :
>>>     Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
>>>     Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
>>>     Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
>>>     Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
>>>     Avast : avast 1.3.0 - VPS 170303-1
>>>
>>> Well, I know my present version of the VPS file is old ; but I don't
>>> know how to update it, and I haven't found information about it on the
>>> Avast web site.
>>>
>>> I don't know exactly where I can setup attachment's scanning exactly
>>> when I send an e-mail from my computer.
>>>
>>> Well, I have forgoten to tell you another thing : I usually use
>>> Avast in
>>> a terminal with a command line ; or, sometimes I use Avast in a GUI (a
>>> Gtk interface)
>>>

>>> NB: I had also posted this thread to alt.fr.antivirus.avast but
>>> there is
>>> no answer and I believe this group is not really alive.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your harmfull help.
>>>
>>> Teddy
>> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses?   I
>> was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.
>
> Right.
> I have never had a virus on my linux systems in the 5 years or so I
> have been using linux.
How does Linux handle that EICAR Test Virus?

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<k93avrF85qpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5844&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5844

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 12:09:45 -0700
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:09 UTC

Nic wrote:
> How does Linux handle that EICAR Test Virus?

> The file is a text file of between 68 and 128 bytes[6] that is a
> legitimate .com executable file (plain x86 machine code) that can be
> run by MS-DOS, some work-alikes, and its successors OS/2 and Windows
> (except for 64-bit due to 16-bit limitations).

The 'purpose' of the eicar is to allow AV agents (which choose to do so)
detect it.

In the past, MBAM for example, chose to not, expressing (to paraphrase)
that they had better things to do.

Linux can't execute that .com unless it is running a compatible VM.
Maybe wine, I'm still looking.

Some linux AVs can detect the eicar 'template' (as opposed to producing
the eicar test message).

--
Mike Easter

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0hsn7$3hfr6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5845&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5845

From: rob...@despammer.com (Rob H)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:10:31 +0100
 by: Rob H - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:10 UTC

On 04/04/2023 19:31, Nic wrote:
> On 4/4/23 13:57, Rob H wrote:

>>> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses?   I
>>> was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.
>>
>> Right.
>> I have never had a virus on my linux systems in the 5 years or so I
>> have been using linux.
> How does Linux handle that EICAR Test Virus?
No idea

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<20230404211737.3837265f@white>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5846&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5846

From: Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 21:17:37 +0200
 by: yossarian - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 19:17 UTC

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 14:31:20 -0400
Nic <Nic@none.net> wrote:

> On 4/4/23 13:57, Rob H wrote:
> > On 04/04/2023 17:09, Big Al wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
> [...]
> >
> > Right.
> > I have never had a virus on my linux systems in the 5 years or so I
> > have been using linux.
> How does Linux handle that EICAR Test Virus?

copy/paste from synaptics
clamav
Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for Unix. The main purpose of
this software is the integration with mail servers (attachment
scanning). The package provides a flexible and scalable
multi-threaded daemon in the clamav-daemon package, a command-line
scanner in the clamav package, and a tool for automatic updating via
the Internet in the clamav-freshclam package. The programs are based
on libclamav, which can be used by other software.

This package contains the command line interface. Features:
- built-in support for various archive formats, including Zip, Tar,
Gzip, Bzip2, OLE2, Cabinet, CHM, BinHex, SIS and others;
- built-in support for almost all mail file formats;
- built-in support for ELF executables and Portable Executable files
compressed with UPX, FSG, Petite, NsPack, wwpack32, MEW, Upack and
obfuscated with SUE, Y0da Cryptor and others;
- built-in support for popular document formats including Microsoft
Office and Mac Office files, HTML, RTF and PDF.

It is already installed in LM, only daemon is not running so it is not effective.

Mint 21.1 Vera, kernel 5.19.0-32-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 32GB of DRAM.

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0i079$3i2cc$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5847&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5847

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:10:17 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 20:10 UTC

On 4/4/2023 12:09 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 4/3/23 14:02, this is what Thebest Teddy wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
>>
>> This is my actual configuration :
>>     Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
>>     Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
>>     Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
>>     Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
>>     Avast : avast 1.3.0 - VPS 170303-1
>>
>> Well, I know my present version of the VPS file is old ; but I don't
>> know how to update it, and I haven't found information about it on the
>> Avast web site.
>>
>> I don't know exactly where I can setup attachment's scanning exactly
>> when I send an e-mail from my computer.
>>
>> Well, I have forgoten to tell you another thing : I usually use Avast in
>> a terminal with a command line ; or, sometimes I use Avast in a GUI (a
>> Gtk interface)
>>

>> NB: I had also posted this thread to alt.fr.antivirus.avast but there is
>> no answer and I believe this group is not really alive.
>>
>> Thank you for your harmfull help.
>>
>> Teddy
> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses?   I was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.

I think this is a cross-platform play.

You are doing simple signature analysis on outgoing
attachments, to prevent coincidental transport of malware.

The malware does not seek to attack the Linux platform, but
perhaps if you transfer a driver package to a friend, it scans
the file and finds a match for a Windows malware, then stops you
from sending the email.

Many email providers do this sort of scan too, for materials
which are not encrypted. With Google, it's almost impossible to
craft an attachment, that will pass muster with them and get through
(whether it has malware or not, makes no different to Google denying it).

You can scan attachment items with virustotal.com , if you want more
than Avasts opinion on simple signature analysis. Since signatures play
"catchup" with malware, a scan never detects "the latest thing". That
can be detected by a heuristic-equipped AV on the recipients machine, and
really, no where else. There aren't many good heuristic tools. If you
look at the fifty companies making AV for Windows, more than two thirds
of those know nothing about heuristic detection. Which is why a naive
user might make a bad choice, and not have any protection of that sort.
For example, ClamAV, is signature only, and a number of AV products
are more or less a re-packaging of ClamAV (hosted by Cisco Talos security group).

1) This sort of scan is "mostly useless". It is mostly useless
because it does not have thorough enough coverage.

2) The email provider does scans.

3) The recipient does scans. For a WinXP user, it's probably a difficult
thing, to find a competent AV that still works on WinXP.

4) The highest risk is from brand-new malware. This can only
be detected (and not very effectively), by heuristic+signature AV products
at the recipients end. All this signature scanning is for the birds, on
new malwares.

There is some small value to flagging an ancient SASSER, in your Downloads
folder, but just scanning your Downloads folder, should provide just as much
coverage as some automation involving Thunderbird attachments. if the "garbage"
always comes in via the Downloads folder, than just scan the Downloads folder.

Paul

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0j9qa$3qm42$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5848&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5848

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:00:03 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:00 UTC

>> In my mail, I use plain text with no html. So, I suppose it is less
>> dangerous for my mail's receivers.... And I always send them, in
>> attachement, my public GPG signature.
>>
> Well I can consider some issues here.
>
> First, there is absolutely no danger of your sending your correspondents
> malware in your plaintext content.
Well, the content of my mail and my GPG public key attached are in plain
text ; but all others attachments not (ie a compressed file -zip-rar-7z...)

> Second, there is no /true/ benefit to sending the Avast 'sig' (not
> properly sig delimited)
>> protection is active.
Well, personaly, I am fully agree with you. But, I wanted to insure my
recievers there is no viruses in that attachment...

> Third, depending on the correspondent, some might mistakenly be
> reassured by an Avast sig, while some others might mistakenly be put off
> by their misguided concern about the 'unknown' content of your gpg sig,
> presumably cleartext.
It's perfectly true. For example, my family and my friends recievers
fully trust me an trust my mails, even if they use a Windows System and
don't use signet mails. For me, it is really a fight to encourage them
to change thier OS and use free (free as in freedom) OS and software.
But most of people I send mail don't always trust my mails.

Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0jafb$3qpik$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5849&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5849

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:11:20 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:11 UTC

Le 04/04/2023 à 17:48, s|b a écrit :
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2023 20:02:35 +0200, Thebest Teddy wrote:
>
>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
>
> The best would be to uninstall Avast. They have been gathering all sorts
> of user data. I just read an article that they stopped doing this (so
> they say), but for me this is enough to *not* install that crap.

Absolutly agree with you. AVAST is it self a big spyware ; but,
personnaly, I think using AVAST in command line to scan my own files on
a Linux OS is not a danger for my own datas.
In the other words, AVAST is particulary a danger for users datas when
that users use windows or Mac OS.

I have also CLAM AV (version 1.0.1) with CLAMTK GUI (version 6.14). And
I use it also to scan my files

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0jbjb$3qutk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5850&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5850

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 10:30:33 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:30 UTC

>> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses?   I
>> was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.
>
> Right.
> I have never had a virus on my linux systems in the 5 years or so I have
> been using linux.
Well, I agree with you two. In my twenty years of using my Linux OS, I
haven't any viruses, spywares or malwares of any sort. But I have got
tools to detect, with a command line, any sorts of that craps (for
example tiger,chkrootkit, rkhunter).
Sometimes (extremly rare), I have a virus inclose in an exe file (a no
CD file) for a windows game ; and since, I have uninstall the game and
the suspicious files. Actualy, I use alternative game with similar
functionalities.

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0l10s$2m60$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5852&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5852

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 01:42:20 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Wed, 5 Apr 2023 23:42 UTC

Le 04/04/2023 à 21:09, Mike Easter a écrit :
> Nic wrote:
>> How does Linux handle that EICAR Test Virus?

Well, I have tested EICAR file with command line, in a terminal ; this
is the results of my tests :

AVAST
Command line : avast eicar.com.txt
/home/teddy/Downloads/eicar.com.txt [infected by: EICAR Test-NOT virus!!!]
# # Statistics:
# # scanned files: 1
# scanned directories: 0
# infected files: 1
# total file size: 68,0 B
# virus database: 170303-1 03.03.2017
# test elapsed: 0s 41ms
#

CLAMAV
Command line : clamdscan eicar.com.txt
/home/teddy/Downloads/eicar.com.txt: Win.Test.EICAR_HDB-1 FOUND

>> The file is a text file of between 68 and 128 bytes[6] that is a
>> legitimate .com executable file (plain x86 machine code) that can be
>> run by MS-DOS, some work-alikes, and its successors OS/2 and Windows
>> (except for 64-bit due to 16-bit limitations).
>
> The 'purpose' of the eicar is to allow AV agents (which choose to do so)
> detect it.

Yes, my agents have detected it as an infection.

> Some linux AVs can detect the eicar 'template' (as opposed to producing
> the eicar test message).

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0lqfc$8lhi$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5853&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5853

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2023 08:56:43 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Thu, 6 Apr 2023 06:56 UTC

Am 04.04.2023 schrieb Nic <Nic@none.net>:

> How does Linux handle that EICAR Test Virus?

Linux itself doesn't care, it is just a regular file.
Any AV program can detect it, if installed.

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0ornv$plq0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5854&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5854

From: teddythe...@europe.com (Thebest Teddy)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 12:36:44 +0200
 by: Thebest Teddy - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 10:36 UTC

Le 04/04/2023 à 22:10, Paul a écrit :
> On 4/4/2023 12:09 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses?   I
>> was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.
>
> I think this is a cross-platform play.
>
> You are doing simple signature analysis on outgoing
> attachments, to prevent coincidental transport of malware.
>
> The malware does not seek to attack the Linux platform, but
> perhaps if you transfer a driver package to a friend, it scans
> the file and finds a match for a Windows malware, then stops you
> from sending the email.

It is precisely my case. I am sending, sometimes, with my plain text
mail, an attachment (exe of compressed files ie zip, 7z, rar...) to my
recievers, with my GPG public key. For the plain text content of the
mail and of my key, it is not really a problem for my recievers ; but
not for files inclosed...

> Many email providers do this sort of scan too, for materials
> which are not encrypted. With Google, it's almost impossible to
> craft an attachment, that will pass muster with them and get through
> (whether it has malware or not, makes no different to Google denying it).

Yes, but I wanted an automated tag of the mail, once all the attachments
scaned, by the antivirus software ; before I send the mail to my recievers.

> You can scan attachment items with virustotal.com , if you want more
> than Avasts opinion on simple signature analysis. Since signatures play
> "catchup" with malware, a scan never detects "the latest thing". That
> can be detected by a heuristic-equipped AV on the recipients machine, and
> really, no where else. There aren't many good heuristic tools. If you
> look at the fifty companies making AV for Windows, more than two thirds
> of those know nothing about heuristic detection. Which is why a naive
> user might make a bad choice, and not have any protection of that sort.
> For example, ClamAV, is signature only, and a number of AV products
> are more or less a re-packaging of ClamAV (hosted by Cisco Talos
> security group).

Well, I think, in reference of CLAM users manual (see more in the pdf
file available at
http://mirror.fairway.ne.jp/git-repository/clamav-devel/raw/2bf7796a87d46f5493cec9eb448a9224d50988c2/docs/clamdoc.pdf
from page 15 to page 19), that you have to install a proxy mail on your
system (to do task of scanning in coming or outgoing mail attachments,
as a daemon service). Maybe it is a misunderstanding from my side....

> 1) This sort of scan is "mostly useless". It is mostly useless
>    because it does not have thorough enough coverage.
>
> 2) The email provider does scans.
>
> 3) The recipient does scans. For a WinXP user, it's probably a difficult
>    thing, to find a competent AV that still works on WinXP.
>
> 4) The highest risk is from brand-new malware. This can only
>    be detected (and not very effectively), by heuristic+signature AV
> products
>    at the recipients end. All this signature scanning is for the birds, on
>    new malwares.
>
> There is some small value to flagging an ancient SASSER, in your Downloads
> folder, but just scanning your Downloads folder, should provide just as
> much
> coverage as some automation involving Thunderbird attachments. if the
> "garbage"
> always comes in via the Downloads folder, than just scan the Downloads
> folder.

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<4lTXL.470194$PXw7.123888@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5855&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5855

From: fre...@mouse-potato.com (Bud Frede)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2023 07:42:55 -0400
 by: Bud Frede - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 11:42 UTC

Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> writes:

> On 4/3/23 14:02, this is what Thebest Teddy wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
>> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
>> This is my actual configuration :
>> Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
>> Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
>> Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
>> Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
>> Avast : avast 1.3.0 - VPS 170303-1
>> Well, I know my present version of the VPS file is old ; but I don't
>> know how to update it, and I haven't found information about it on the
>> Avast web site.
>> I don't know exactly where I can setup attachment's scanning exactly
>> when I send an e-mail from my computer.
>> Well, I have forgoten to tell you another thing : I usually use
>> Avast in
>> a terminal with a command line ; or, sometimes I use Avast in a GUI (a
>> Gtk interface)
>> NB: I had also posted this thread to alt.fr.antivirus.avast but
>> there is
>> no answer and I believe this group is not really alive.
>> Thank you for your harmfull help.
>> Teddy
> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses? I was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.

There is a much lower chance of getting malware with Linux, but it's not
immune to problems. Having said that, I have not been using antivirus
software on Linux recently.

I did run AV software on Linux years ago, but that was on a mailserver
and it was to protect Windows users from malware in their e-mail.

If I _were_ to use AV on Linux, I sure as hell wouldn't use Avast (or
AVG since it's basically the same thing).

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<20230407180118.711e37f3cf822e014025d72d@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5856&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5856

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 18:01:18 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 17:01 UTC

On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 07:42:55 -0400
Bud Frede <frede@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> writes:
>
> > On 4/3/23 14:02, this is what Thebest Teddy wrote:
> >> Hello everybody,
> >> I woulld like to setup Thunderbird with Avast to inform my mail
> >> receivers that's the attachments does not any viruses.
> >> This is my actual configuration :
> >> Operating System : Linux Mint 18.3 X86 i686 (32 bits)
> >> Kernel : Linux 4.15.0-142-generic
> >> Bureau : Cinamon 3.6.7
> >> Thunderbird : 68.10.0 (32 bits)
> >> Avast : avast 1.3.0 - VPS 170303-1
> >> Well, I know my present version of the VPS file is old ; but I don't
> >> know how to update it, and I haven't found information about it on the
> >> Avast web site.
> >> I don't know exactly where I can setup attachment's scanning exactly
> >> when I send an e-mail from my computer.
> >> Well, I have forgoten to tell you another thing : I usually use
> >> Avast in
> >> a terminal with a command line ; or, sometimes I use Avast in a GUI (a
> >> Gtk interface)
> >> NB: I had also posted this thread to alt.fr.antivirus.avast but
> >> there is
> >> no answer and I believe this group is not really alive.
> >> Thank you for your harmfull help.
> >> Teddy
> > OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses? I was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.
>
> There is a much lower chance of getting malware with Linux, but it's not
> immune to problems. Having said that, I have not been using antivirus
> software on Linux recently.
>
> I did run AV software on Linux years ago, but that was on a mailserver
> and it was to protect Windows users from malware in their e-mail.
>
> If I _were_ to use AV on Linux, I sure as hell wouldn't use Avast (or
> AVG since it's basically the same thing).

I suffered virus attack 20 years ago on a Windows machine even though I
had so-called protection. That drove me towards Linux.

I still use Windows as virtual machines and have no virus protectyion
on anything and have never had another problem since 2003!

I know it doesn't prove anything but it is a fact.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-146-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<u0pu7g$uipj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5857&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5857

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2023 16:25:18 -0400
 by: Paul - Fri, 7 Apr 2023 20:25 UTC

On 4/7/2023 1:01 PM, pinnerite wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2023 07:42:55 -0400
> Bud Frede <frede@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>
>> Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> writes:

>>> OT: Do you really feel that avast works and has caught viruses? I was of the opinion Linux needed no virus software.
>>
>> There is a much lower chance of getting malware with Linux, but it's not
>> immune to problems. Having said that, I have not been using antivirus
>> software on Linux recently.
>>
>> I did run AV software on Linux years ago, but that was on a mailserver
>> and it was to protect Windows users from malware in their e-mail.
>>
>> If I _were_ to use AV on Linux, I sure as hell wouldn't use Avast (or
>> AVG since it's basically the same thing).
>
> I suffered virus attack 20 years ago on a Windows machine even though I
> had so-called protection. That drove me towards Linux.
>
> I still use Windows as virtual machines and have no virus protectyion
> on anything and have never had another problem since 2003!
>
> I know it doesn't prove anything but it is a fact.
>
> Alan

Windows may come with a built-in AV product, as well as a
Sandbox capability (not switched on by default!). But they
keep making the attack surface larger, so in the end, what's
the point ?

For example, they brought back Widgets on Windows 11,
after shedding them in Win7 because of attack surface concerns.

I suppose, in the end, it's all the same HTML/JS tech with
manifests and signatures, for the win. Plus a sandbox.

The reason windows 11 needs 4GB, seems to be so that the
sandbox "mini-OS" is kept in RAM. That's the runtime environment
used by the Sandbox. If a machine is not configured so the
sandbox can ever run, then the memory is released for the
user to use.

Since no arch diagrams worth a darn, are available for the OS,
it's pretty hard to confirm how it works. I still can't get
nested virtualization to work, for example. I wanna smack somebody
at MS, for wasting my time. Communicating the status of features,
and having an arch diagram, would be top flight support. Still waiting...

Paul

Re: OT Re: Help to setup thunderbird with avast (command line)

<k9ia7uFivklU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5874&group=alt.os.linux.mint#5874

From: me...@privacy.invalid (s|b)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 13:29:05 +0200
 by: s|b - Mon, 10 Apr 2023 11:29 UTC

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 18:57:20 +0100, Rob H wrote:

> Right.
> I have never had a virus on my linux systems in the 5 years or so I have
> been using linux.

How do you know that?

--
s|b