Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:14:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: More accessible research on arXiv.org
From: jfine2...@gmail.com (Jonathan Fine)
 by: Jonathan Fine - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 17:14 UTC

Hi

The preprint service arXiv.org is a major hub for open science research publications. Last week arXiv staff published a framework for making these publications more accessible. They intend to provide "HTML alongside existing PDF and TeX formats".

This arXiv.org framework document, which includes the underlying desk and field research, is available in both HTML and PDF. Please take a look.
HTML: https://info.arxiv.org/about/accessibility_research_report.html
PDF: https://arxiv.org/abs/2212.07286

They wrote "incorporating the conversion [to HTML] into arXiv’s submission process will mean substantial changes to the pipeline behind the scenes". I'm sure we all wish them well with the major endeavour, and will where possible offer them our help and encouragement.

On Thursday 19 January, 6:30 to 8:30pm UK (ie GMT) time there'll be a special TeX Hour on STEM access, and in particular the document toolchain / pipeline. We are fortunate to have Jason White, Jonathan Godfrey and Patrick Smyth as speakers. All have expert knowledge and experience both personal and professional. If interested, please do come to listen. They'll also be an opportunity for discussion.
https://texhour.github.io/2023/01/19/stem-access-author-reader/

wishing you all seasons greetings and best wishes for the new year

Jonathan