From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Outlook token keeps expiring
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 10:29:10 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 10:29 UTC

I'm running alpine on a Mac, compiled from current source.

To access a mailbox at Microsoft, it does an OAUTH login that goes to
a web browser, lets me log in there, and then returns a token to
alpine, which alpine can use for subsequent logins.

That all works fine but in the past week or so, the token seems to expire
immediately, so I can read my mail once, but every subsequent time I
have to log in again which is rather a pain. Has anyone else seen this?
I have not changed my copy of Alpine or as far as I can tell, anything else.
The only thing different is that I am usually in New York and this week I
am in Germany, but the login works fine and MS has lots of users in Europe.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: Outlook token keeps expiring

<2c2ee4e7-ed4d-4903-dca3-6f52d01dae62@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=586&group=comp.mail.pine#586

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: Outlook token keeps expiring
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 19:57:03 -0600
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 01:57 UTC

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023, John Levine wrote:

> That all works fine but in the past week or so, the token seems to
> expire immediately, so I can read my mail once, but every subsequent
> time I have to log in again which is rather a pain. Has anyone else
> seen this? I have not changed my copy of Alpine or as far as I can tell,
> anything else. The only thing different is that I am usually in New York
> and this week I am in Germany, but the login works fine and MS has lots
> of users in Europe.

I do not know what is happenin here. All I can tell you is to run alpine
using the command

alpine -d http

to see the transaction of Alpine with the server. See if it is the server
expiring the refresh token, or if it is Alpine expiring the token. When
Alpine is running in the above form, repeat the problem, quit alpine, and
take a look at the file ~/.pine-debug1 to see the transaction of Alpine
with the server.

Your .pine-debug1 file will contain sensitive information. Remove it after
you use it.

--
Eduardo
https://alpineapp.email (web)

Re: Outlook token keeps expiring

<ui8vsi$2et7$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=587&group=comp.mail.pine#587

From: joh...@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 21:02:11 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Sun, 5 Nov 2023 21:02 UTC

It appears that Eduardo Chappa <chappa@washington.edu> said:
>On Wed, 1 Nov 2023, John Levine wrote:
>
>> That all works fine but in the past week or so, the token seems to
>> expire immediately, so I can read my mail once, but every subsequent
>> time I have to log in again which is rather a pain. ...
>> anything else. The only thing different is that I am usually in New York
>> and this week I am in Germany, but the login works fine and MS has lots
>> of users in Europe.

Now I'm in Czechia and it works again. Maybe it's German privacy law,
maybe it was just Microsoft being Microsoft.