From: ctan-...@ctan.org (CTAN Announcements)
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: CTAN update: cm-tfm
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 11:50:58 +0100
To: ctan-ann@ctan.org
 by: CTAN Announcements - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 10:50 UTC

Karl Berry submitted an update to the

cm-tfm

package.

Version:
License: knuth

Summary description: Metric files for the Computer Modern fonts

Announcement text:
This update replaces the contents of https://ctan.org/tex-archive/cm/tfm/
with the 75 TFM files generated from the official Computer Modern Metafont
sources. These TFM files have been distributed since the beginning of
TeX Live, and in its predecessors, without changes. (Don Knuth does not
officially distribute the TFM files.)

Somehow, almost all of the cm*.tfm files on CTAN had an extra null byte
at the end, dating from their initial creation in 1992, in the early
days of CTAN. We (CTAN+me) do not know how that null byte got in there.
The result is that tftopl issues a warning on them ("There's some extra
junk...").

Also, this cm/tfm/ directory previously contained some non-CM TFM files,
namely dummy.tfm, manfnt.tfm, old_manfnt.tfm, and cmsa10.tfm. The first
two are available elsewhere on CTAN, in their respective packages. The
latter two we do not know the provenance of, but you can get them from
the /obsolete CTAN tree if need be.

Thanks to Heiko Theissen for reporting this problem. References:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/619969
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-k/2018-February/002849.html

The package’s Catalogue entry can be viewed at
https://ctan.org/pkg/cm-tfm

The package’s files themselves can be inspected at
https://mirrors.ctan.org/fonts/cm/tfm/

Thanks for the upload.

For the CTAN Team
Petra Rübe-Pugliese

CTAN is run entirely by volunteers and supported by TeX user groups.
Please join a user group or donate to one, see https://ctan.org/lugs