Packages should build-depend on what they should build-depend. -- Santiago Vila on debian-devel

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows

SubjectAuthor
* starting out with LibreOffice for windowsbilsch01
+- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsMajorLanGod
+- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsmicky
+- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsMarco Moock
+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsPiet
|+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsmechanic
||+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsCarlos E.R.
|||+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsMayayana
|||`* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsKen Blake
||| `- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsCarlos E.R.
||`* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsPiet
|| `- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsMayayana
|`* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowswasbit
| `- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsKen Blake
+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsAndy Burns
|`- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsmicky
+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsPaul
|`- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsAndy Burns
+- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windowsJonathan N. Little
+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows (OT)Jeff Barnett
|+* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows (OT)Andy Burns
||`* Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows (OT)Jeff Barnett
|| `- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows (OT)Carlos E.R.
|+- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows (OT)Carlos E.R.
|+- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows (OT)Mayayana
|`- Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows (OT)John Hall
`- Thanks everyone for the info.bilsch01

Pages:12
Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows

<st6rg0$gad$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58432&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58432

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 21:12:49 +0100
 by: Piet - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:12 UTC

mechanic wrote:
> Piet wrote:
>>> QUESTION: If I create a My Documents folder, should it be located in the
>>> directory named Users\my_name ?
>>
>> https://www.dummies.com/article/technology/computers/operating-systems/windows/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10-140269
>>
>> I would always recommend creating a separate user partition on a HDD, since
>> I consider C: as a strict *system* partition, not to be clogged with typical
>> user data. With LO, and any other software, you can save files in any folder
>> you want on that partition.
>
> User data in C:\Users\<name_of_user>\, system stuff in C:\(more or
> less everything else)\ , what's the problem?

No problem. Just what you regard as "system stuff", I regard as "user stuff".

-p

Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows

<st7467$siq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58437&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58437

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 17:41:00 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 30 Jan 2022 22:41 UTC

"Piet" <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote

| > User data in C:\Users\<name_of_user>\, system stuff in C:\(more or
| > less everything else)\ , what's the problem?
| | No problem. Just what you regard as "system stuff", I regard as "user
stuff".

Ah. The voice of reason from someone who owns
their own computer. :)

Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows

<j7mivg954evdburgc1ld66lgqni17t5n0n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58535&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58535

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 09:14:54 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 16:14 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:55:50 -0800, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 21:41:12 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
><robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> User data in C:\Users\<name_of_user>\, system stuff in C:\(more or
>>> less everything else)\ , what's the problem?
>>
>>The advantage is that with user data in D:, you can simply format C:
>>when the times come. Nothing important gets lost.
>
>I have an SSD as my C: with all my user data on drives D and later.
>Trouble is there are all sorts of software that one downloads (for me
>the most recent has been the latest Skyrim update) that INSISTS on
>installing on C which annoys the hell out of me for specifically that
>reason.

If you want to install all your software on D: so you can format C:
without losing your software, that's wrong. You can't. Except for a
very rare mostly trivial program, all software has many references in
C:, in the registry and elsewhere. Regardless of where the program is
installed, format C: and all those references are gone and the
programs won't work.

Re: starting out with LibreOffice for windows

<2reoci-h01.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58554&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#58554

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 20:38:42 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 19:38 UTC

On 2022-02-01 17:14, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:55:50 -0800, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 21:41:12 +0100, "Carlos E.R."
>> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> The advantage is that with user data in D:, you can simply format C:
>>> when the times come. Nothing important gets lost.
>>
>> I have an SSD as my C: with all my user data on drives D and later.
>> Trouble is there are all sorts of software that one downloads (for me
>> the most recent has been the latest Skyrim update) that INSISTS on
>> installing on C which annoys the hell out of me for specifically that
>> reason.
>

> If you want to install all your software on D: so you can format C:
> without losing your software, that's wrong. You can't. Except for a
> very rare mostly trivial program, all software has many references in
> C:, in the registry and elsewhere. Regardless of where the program is
> installed, format C: and all those references are gone and the
> programs won't work.

True.

I may store the downloads, which can be considered data anyway.

--
Cheers, Carlos.