From: Bee...@NoSpam.com (BeeJ)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Outlook For EMail
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 10:48:23 -0700
 by: BeeJ - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 17:48 UTC

On Windows 7 Pro (updated).

I have Thunderbird set up for an Outlook and a Hotmail account working
but slow.

Just now installed Outlook 2007

I am trying to set up Outlook 2007 for those hoping that the eMail
download updates will be faster.

I tried setting up both the Outlook and Hotmail accounts but Outlook
2007 will not accept either.

Where can I find how to configure outlook 2007 to work.

I tried to update Outlook 2007 but no go.
Where can I find an Outlook 2007 update ?

if needed I can install Outlook 2003. But where to find update?

Re: Outlook For EMail

<tvfgm3$ntpg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5863&group=alt.windows7.general#5863

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Outlook For EMail
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 14:16:35 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 18:16 UTC

On 3/22/2023 1:48 PM, BeeJ wrote:
> On Windows 7 Pro (updated).
>
> I have Thunderbird set up for an Outlook and a Hotmail account working but slow.
>
> Just now installed Outlook 2007
>
> I am trying to set up Outlook 2007 for those hoping that the eMail download updates will be faster.
>
> I tried setting up both the Outlook and Hotmail accounts but Outlook 2007 will not accept either.
>
> Where can I find how to configure outlook 2007 to work.
>
> I tried to update Outlook 2007 but no go.
> Where can I find an Outlook 2007 update ?
>
> if needed I can install Outlook 2003.  But where to find update?

I tried this Google search:

ssl/tls for outlook 2007

And an answer I got was:

Does Outlook 2007 support TLS?

Old mail client such as Outlook 2007 is not able to send a mail via SSL/TLS

Then another answer says:

How do I enable TLS 1.2 in Outlook 2007?

To enable TLS 1.2, right-click on the Protocols folder.
Select New option >> Key. 6. Type the name TLS 1.2 and press Enter.

https://top.host/support/en/knowledge-base/how-can-i-enable-tls-v1-2-in-outlook-on-windows-7/

STEPS TO ACTIVATE TLS v1.2 IN WINDOWS 7

If you are using Outlook and have Windows 7, you will need to enable TLS v1.2 by following these steps.

Step 1

At first, it is necessary to install Windows update KB3140245.

You can either install it through Windows Update where it is available
as an Optional Update, or download it from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

We have to beware of Greeks bearing Gifts. Some of these updates
can have "consequences" for other aspects of OS operation. Microsoft
hardly ever gives "plums" without "grief" thrown in.

First, we stare intently at the entry, for evidence of monkey-business.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb3140245

OK, it's under one megabyte. That's a good sign.

It can still say such things as "this update is not for this OS"
when you attempt to install it.

But that's an example of restoring a capability which was
created in modern times. It is similar to the idea of "https everywhere",
an attempt to prevent traffic analysis by intercepting "comm trunks"
in flight. If a nation-state deflects an AS and runs it through their
country, they can't snapshot your password in flight.

This is why email standards we've used in the past, now
use different port numbers. The "old" port numbers lack crypto
to protect the content in flight, including USER and PASS info.

Some email schemes may be protected with OAUTH2, but perhaps
not in this case.

And no, going backward in time, is not a solution. If 2007 can't
manage it (with a little help from a walker and a cane), then
something like 2003 will "need a wheel chair" :-) I love to use
old software, and cobbling together other shit to make it
work, is all part of the fun.

That's why I sprinkled some of the keywords into the posting.

I have set up my own email server, set up my own certificate
and tried to put a copy of the certificate in Thunderbird. I
thought I'd done a good job (I was missing some fields in my
certificate and fixed that), but it still would not connect.
In your case, your certificate chain should be updated once a
week by some process in Windows (commercial certificates are
involved, not homemade ones). I don't think Windows 7 has been
cut off from that. There was also a patch for Windows 7, which
changes the polling frequency to daily (which is unnecessary).
Just getting the changes, once a week, is better than not getting
changes at all.

Paul

Re: Outlook For EMail

<u1b89v$1gbd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5952&group=alt.windows7.general#5952

From: abhijit....@gmail.com (Saran Ayyappan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 14:51:44 +0530
 by: Saran Ayyappan - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 09:21 UTC

You also need to add some entries to registry as well if it doesn’t work:

To do this registry edit manually, open the Windows Registry and navigate
to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols

If the TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 subkeys are missing (i.e. if the "Protocols" key
only has a single subkey named "SSL 2.0"), you need to create them manually.
Here's how to do so:

1. Right-click on "Protocols". Select "New", then "Key". Name the new key
"TLS 1.1" (without the inverted commas).

2. Right-click on that new key, then create another key underneath it named
"Client" (without the inverted commas).

3. Right-click on the new "Client" key. Select "New", then "DWORD (32 bit)
Value". Name the new item "DisabledByDefault" (without the inverted commas).
By default, its value is zero (which is what you need, so leave it as that).

4. Right-click on "Protocols". Select "New", then "Key". Name the new key
"TLS 1.2" (without the inverted commas).

5. Right-click on that new key, then create another key underneath it named
"Client" (without the inverted commas).

6. Right-click on the new "Client" key. Select "New", then "DWORD (32 bit)
Value". Name the new item "DisabledByDefault" (without the inverted commas).
By default, its value is zero (which is what you need, so leave it as that).

You can also add for TLS 1.0 as well and have the dword have it set to zero,
which is by default set itself as zero just it is in TLS 1.0 and 1.1
and also optionally add a SSL 3 and add a DWORD "DisabledByDefault" and set
the the value as 1 (I suggest it since SSL 3 is outdated and is insecure)

Here is a link to an image which shows what the fixed registry should now
look like:

https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/20b2fcb9-e29d-4e52-b9fb-1231c5f6968f?upload=true

"Paul" wrote in message news:tvfgm3$ntpg$1@dont-email.me...

On 3/22/2023 1:48 PM, BeeJ wrote:
> On Windows 7 Pro (updated).
>
> I have Thunderbird set up for an Outlook and a Hotmail account working but
> slow.
>
> Just now installed Outlook 2007
>
> I am trying to set up Outlook 2007 for those hoping that the eMail
> download updates will be faster.
>
> I tried setting up both the Outlook and Hotmail accounts but Outlook 2007
> will not accept either.
>
> Where can I find how to configure outlook 2007 to work.
>
> I tried to update Outlook 2007 but no go.
> Where can I find an Outlook 2007 update ?
>
> if needed I can install Outlook 2003. But where to find update?

I tried this Google search:

ssl/tls for outlook 2007

And an answer I got was:

Does Outlook 2007 support TLS?

Old mail client such as Outlook 2007 is not able to send a mail via
SSL/TLS

Then another answer says:

How do I enable TLS 1.2 in Outlook 2007?

To enable TLS 1.2, right-click on the Protocols folder.
Select New option >> Key. 6. Type the name TLS 1.2 and press Enter.

https://top.host/support/en/knowledge-base/how-can-i-enable-tls-v1-2-in-outlook-on-windows-7/

STEPS TO ACTIVATE TLS v1.2 IN WINDOWS 7

If you are using Outlook and have Windows 7, you will need to enable TLS
v1.2 by following these steps.

Step 1

At first, it is necessary to install Windows update KB3140245.

You can either install it through Windows Update where it is available
as an Optional Update, or download it from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

We have to beware of Greeks bearing Gifts. Some of these updates
can have "consequences" for other aspects of OS operation. Microsoft
hardly ever gives "plums" without "grief" thrown in.

First, we stare intently at the entry, for evidence of monkey-business.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=kb3140245

OK, it's under one megabyte. That's a good sign.

It can still say such things as "this update is not for this OS"
when you attempt to install it.

But that's an example of restoring a capability which was
created in modern times. It is similar to the idea of "https everywhere",
an attempt to prevent traffic analysis by intercepting "comm trunks"
in flight. If a nation-state deflects an AS and runs it through their
country, they can't snapshot your password in flight.

This is why email standards we've used in the past, now
use different port numbers. The "old" port numbers lack crypto
to protect the content in flight, including USER and PASS info.

Some email schemes may be protected with OAUTH2, but perhaps
not in this case.

And no, going backward in time, is not a solution. If 2007 can't
manage it (with a little help from a walker and a cane), then
something like 2003 will "need a wheel chair" :-) I love to use
old software, and cobbling together other shit to make it
work, is all part of the fun.

:-)
That's why I sprinkled some of the keywords into the posting.

I have set up my own email server, set up my own certificate
and tried to put a copy of the certificate in Thunderbird. I
thought I'd done a good job (I was missing some fields in my
certificate and fixed that), but it still would not connect.
In your case, your certificate chain should be updated once a
week by some process in Windows (commercial certificates are
involved, not homemade ones). I don't think Windows 7 has been
cut off from that. There was also a patch for Windows 7, which
changes the polling frequency to daily (which is unnecessary).
Just getting the changes, once a week, is better than not getting
changes at all.

Paul

Re: Outlook For EMail

<u1b8a0$1gbd4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=5953&group=alt.windows7.general#5953

From: abhijit....@gmail.com (Saran Ayyappan)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 15:31:29 +0530
 by: Saran Ayyappan - Fri, 14 Apr 2023 10:01 UTC